Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thejournal.ie Ad

Options
  • 18-03-2011 2:25pm
    Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe it is just me, but this ad makes it quite difficult to be somewhat discrete using boards at work (yes I know, do some work, etc, etc). It is at the bottom of every page, and changes image very frequently. That, and seeing Brian Cowan every few seconds makes it somewhat annoying.

I know it is a boards owned site, but is there any chance of having a less 'in-your-face' ad for it? I use the quick reply box a lot, and it is always in shot using that. I can't install adblock at work either, to cut off a lot of those replies, and don't use it for boards anyhow. It is as near to the "you are the 1 millionth visitor, click to claim your prize' ads as I've seen on here due to the speed of the image changes. Even if it could be slowed down?

Perhaps it is just me though...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

There's one that annoys me, more so because it appears in front of the drop down menu's making the options behind it unselectable. I think it's a bingo ad with a picture of a car on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You're a subscriber - you can turn ads off in your control panel :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

Steve wrote: »
    You're a subscriber - you can turn ads off in your control panel :)

Great solution. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Great solution. :rolleyes:
    What's wrong with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

What's wrong with it?

Poor people, that's what's wrong :pac:

• Advertisement

Poor people, that's what's wrong :pac:
    Scabby more like - it's not like it costs the earth. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I believe you can get little programs that stop ads from showing up, adblock or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Scabby more like - it's not like it costs the earth. :pac:
    Its a pain when you dont have a credit card, you should be able to pay by laser.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Its a pain when you dont have a credit card, you should be able to pay by laser.
    Tell that to paypal :)

Love your sig btw.. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Even though i was stupid cool enough to pay and get the ads removed, i still get them on my iPhone.

Whatsupwithdat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's very annoying when you're browsing via smart phone and try hit quick reply. If you even touch the ad it takes you to a new window which then automatically takes you to the app store.

Any chance of even moving the ad?

EDIT: Actually it's more of a problem when trying to go to the next page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

I'll talk to the guys about this next week. Thanks for the heads up about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's very annoying when you're browsing via smart phone and try hit quick reply. If you even touch the ad it takes you to a new window which then automatically takes you to the app store.

Any chance of even moving the ad?

EDIT: Actually it's more of a problem when trying to go to the next page.
    +100:D

I always accidentally click that journal ad which takes you to the app store but I never accidentally click the non-appstore adds. I think apple checks to see if a link goes to the appstore and then sends you there no matter how far away from the link you touched, just to be a dick. Maybe I'm paranoid.

Advertisement