Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats up dawg?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Olympic Weightlifting Workshop ECB

Workshop with coach Wayne. Decided to dip my toes in the weightlifting pool, see how I found it.
    So after a brief intro, me and the 9 other lads there were taught the snatch drills- OH squats, drop snatch squats, snatch from hips, then from top of knee, then from below knee. Of the many, many problems I had with these what sticks out in my mind was where my feet was landing- way to wide. Then after a little snatch exhibition from Wayne it was on to the clean and jerk. Drills in each one then Wayne did another exhibition, his speed under the bar is amazing. Then we did a few c+j's from the blocks. I worked up to a horrible looking 80kg clean but a fairly solid jerk. We ended with a short squat tutorial then a quick QnA.

It was a lot of information to absorb but the whole idea was that its technique, technique, technique. Also it was a lot of fun.

My wrists are sore.

Got to the gym today ready to basically do all the drills I'd done in Saturdays workshop. Started grand with some wall-squats, started on the snatch drills and completely blanked on most of the stuff I was meant to do. So basically I messed around with snatches from the hip for a while, did some jerk drills, most of which I also forgot. Then did some front squats cos I never do those and I'm pretty brutal at them, went up to a set of 5 with 90kg. Grip felt very weird/sore and I'm not sure if its a case of bad technique or being a big vagina. Either way I guess I'll work on it. Need to do a functional screening soon and hopefully get a programme put together based off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Got to the gym today ready to basically do all the drills I'd done in Saturdays workshop. Started grand with some wall-squats, started on the snatch drills and completely blanked on most of the stuff I was meant to do.

I can sympathise with the mind blanking!
    My favourite phrase...."What's this one again?"

gymfreak wrote: »
    I can sympathise with the mind blanking!
    My favourite phrase...."What's this one again?"

Now I'm just blatantly stealing routines from people training next to me :D

Was a little bit more prepared for today. Did some snatch drills for a while. Then did some jerk stuff. Not much structure at the moment, its just do a little of this for a while until it feels "right".

Squats
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg x5
    120kg x5
    120kg x3
    120kg x3
    120kg x3

Switching back to high bar squats with full depth now. Still the sets were a lot harder than they were supposed to be.

Bikram weightlifting in ECB/Ironside today.

• Advertisement

Trained on sunday and wednesday.

Still banging out the snatch drills etc. Not much improvement yet. Also lack of speed is really showing.

Got a temporary programme from Wayne so this will give my training a bit more structure. Plus it has a few barbell complexes that look brutal that I can't wait to try. Also it has bench press- woop something I don't suck at!

Sunday

Squats
    60kg x10
    80kg x5
    100kg x3
    120kg x1
    130kg x1
    140kg x1

Front Squats

60kg x5
    80kg x1
    90kg x1
    100kg x1
    110kg x1

Wednesday

Front Squats
    60kg x5 x2
    80kg x5 x5
    100kg x2

Bulgarian Squats

50kg x5 x5 ES

Need to properly establish a front squat max.

Snatch skills
    x loads

Snatch
    5 x3 with 40kg

Split Jerk
    5 x3 with 50kg

Bulgarian Squats

5 x5 with 50kg

Squats
    60kg x5
    100kg x5