Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Have Approached Anton Ferdinand

• 18-03-2011 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

.....about playing for them. There's a good chance of it happening.

Same source that gives me the Sunderland team news the night before home games and other snippets.

Thoughts? Personally I think he'd be a very good addition. He's a very good defender when he's concentrating fully but he is prone to the odd brain fart. For example, he was shocking against Everton but the next week was an absolute rock against Arsenal.

Overall though, he'd be a very good addition. He's versatile (can play anywhere across the back 4) and is a level ahead of St Ledger at least.

I'm just passing on information so don't shoot the messenger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

he's actually as English as they come though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Anybody else like St. Ledger?

I think he really gives his all for Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

@liam o

his ma is irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

EI111 wrote: »

Yeah. Pity it's not good enough tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

EI111 wrote: »

I don't see much of him at club level but I do think he does ok for Ireland. However, I won't say no to someone better coming in. Hopefully Ferdinand says yes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Liam O wrote: »

"Innit bruv, I is well happy to be playin for Island."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Ireland really are like the fat bird in the disco....

Seaneh wrote: »
    @liam o

his ma is irish.
    more for the reason that Mikey illustrated above, he's as stereotypical 'Landan' as they come imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

major bill wrote: »
    Ireland really are like the fat bird in the disco....

and beggers cant be choosers....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

AwJeezNotThisSheetAgain1.jpg

Can we not just have one thread for whatever foreign no marks we are after this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's all just an elaborate wind up.

merked.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

lol - I think the "Better than St. Ledger" acid test has a flaw or two tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

and still no link or credible source?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

prob a bit unfair to single out st ledger when he's not the worst defender in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Peadar_85 wrote: »
    prob a bit unfair to single out st ledger when he's not the worst defender in the squad.
    That's true.

Paul McShane is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Neil3030 wrote: »
    lol - I think the "Better than St. Ledger" acid test has a flaw or two tbh.

as a Villa fan im sure im biast but i think Clark is better than anton at CB, but the comparison with St Ledger i'd imagine is that he is considerd the worst CB who currently starts for Ireland (not that's in the squad) and I think thats what people look for when considering such players. Perhaps it should be is he better than our worst defender but I guess the fact that he he's a proper landon lad makes me think people only want to consider him if he's good enough to start for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Anton Ferdinand certainly does qualify, whether he has been approached is another issue however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd have no problem bringing him in, or Pennant for that matter. If it can improve the team and those incoming players give their all then I'd be happy enough with that. They would also provide competition with our up and coming 'Irish' players which can only be a good thing.

more for the reason that Mikey illustrated above, he's as stereotypical 'Landan' as they come imo.

If he improves the team who cares?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭ollaetta

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If he improves the team who cares?

I really can't see him doing that. Always thought he was very average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

i actually like st ledger dont think hes put a foot wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

oh ya coz black guys with braids is every1s first image when they think of england lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

partyndbs wrote: »
    oh ya coz black guys with braids is every1s first image when they think of england lol...

When I think of London that would be one of the first things I'd think of, tbh. Kidulthood and the likes must have warped my fragile little mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

At least he didn't do Delap on it and tweet that Paddys Day is today.:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

He is very good friends with David Meyler. Would be a decent player for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

baz2009 wrote: »
    When I think of London that would be one of the first things I'd think of, tbh. Kidulthood and the likes must have warped my fragile little mind.

i think of crumpets and tea:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Can we not just have one thread for whatever foreign no marks we are after this week?
    Why do you comment on this? its what the forth/fifth thread in what 2 or 3 months? Hardly clogging up the forum

you secretly love it dont you, you liccle minxs you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

I'd be all for Ferdinand joining the ranks for competition but couldn't see Trap using his English skills to try and entice him over.

My back four would be:

Coleman---Dunne---O'Shea---Clarke

OR

O'Shea---Dunne---Ferdinand/St. Ledger---Clarke

Anyone have a link to this as I haven't seen one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

the name BeanFlicker made me laugh:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Promised much when he played for us but don't rate him any more. He had a habit of giving away completely stupid frees in dangerous areas as well as massive lapses in concentration at the worst possible times.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dammo

No, no, no ...................... useless. Don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

partyndbs wrote: »
    i think of crumpets and tea:p

Are you Jane Austen? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Promised much when he played for us but don't rate him any more. He had a habit of giving away completely stupid frees in dangerous areas as well as massive lapses in concentration at the worst possible times.

Aye, he usually has one week on and one week off as far as his good performances go :p

I like him at Sunderland though as he offers us versatility. He can play anywhere across the back four and generally will give you a steady, 7/10 performance most weeks. The only problem from a club point of view is we need to get his wage down as he's one of the highest earners at the club!

As I said earlier, he'd be a good option for Ireland as he can play anywhere across the back 4 and he's a level ahead of our current CB, St Ledger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Ferdinand, Stearman, Chambers - if they all declare the future of our defensive depth will be fairly adequete. All solid but not spectacularly solid. Stearman has the most potential of the three.

Sledge seems to be going backwards, it's extremely worrying that he is playing in the defence of one of the worst teams in the Championship in years at 26.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'd be all for Ferdinand joining the ranks for competition but couldn't see Trap using his English skills to try and entice him over.

My back four would be:

Coleman---Dunne---O'Shea---Clarke

OR

O'Shea---Dunne---Ferdinand/St. Ledger---Clarke

Anyone have a link to this as I haven't seen one

This would be more realistic.

Coleman---Dunne---Clark---O'Shea

As Clark is a CB that can cover LB if needed but is by no means a proper LB for the long term.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

People seem to be forgetting that while Clark is versatile, he's a CB by trade and a damn fine one in the making too. In a season he shouldnt be playing at LB week in week out at Villa and therefore would be more likely to compete for the CB birth with Ireland if we are talking about our defensive future. Really hope Cunningham can develop into a top player as I think we might need him for LB.

I Like St Ledger because he has always given his all for Ireland but I dont think he's a great player and have always felt he is just holding that spot till a better player comes along. tbh I'd probably say the same about Anton if his commitment was good enough cos I dont think as a player he is that great either but he could improve.

edit: ahh jaysus Matrim now my post about Clark is obsolete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

matrim wrote: »
    This would be more realistic.

Coleman---Dunne---Clark---O'Shea

As Clark is a CB that can cover LB if needed but is by no means a proper LB for the long term.
    O'Shea is shocking at left back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

AgileMyth wrote: »
    O'Shea is shocking at left back though.

no hes not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

ollaetta wrote: »
    I really can't see him doing that. Always thought he was very average.

So he'd fit in well with our current below par back line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The Sunderland defence is better without him than with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

On a related note, Anton, Rio and Les' distant relation; Kane Ferdinand, recently declared for Ireland and is in the U18 squad for the game at the weekend. Kane plays for my Club, Southend, where he signed a new 2.5 year contract earlier this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

He's a leprechaun compared to Tony Cascarino.
    There was never an issue with english lads playing for Ireland before,what's the problem now?

He's a leprechaun compared to Tony Cascarino.
    There was never an issue with english lads playing for Ireland before,what's the problem now?
    tbh, I never really liked players who have no real connection to Irish culture playing for us. The likes of McGeady lived here for periods and chose Ireland for his love of the country over Scotland, players like Ferdinand and Cascarino play for us because they can't get in the England team.

Advertisement