Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New beta android app (game)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

works grand here.
    think it will be a popular download , however what happens when u get infected , is the game over like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭theblacknight

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    works grand here.
    think it will be a popular download , however what happens when u get infected , is the game over like

Once infected you can start infecting other people. For the beta there will be no way to 'un-infect' yourself. But the full version will be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Once infected you can start infecting other people. For the beta there will be no way to 'un-infect' yourself. But the full version will be different.

ah cool.
    will get a lot of downloads
    if its any help , im on HTC wildfire and all works, few glitches with the map not showing all players but for a beta , all seems great

good luck with it

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    ah cool.
    will get a lot of downloads
    if its any help , im on HTC wildfire and all works, few glitches with the map not showing all players but for a beta , all seems great

good luck with it

Hi Hawkwind,

When you say not all the players are showing do you mean you see no players at all? The map will only show the nearest 50 people to you (so it doesn't get overloaded), but you can hold your finger down somewhere else on the map to show users in that area. There is more information in the help section.

Also if anyone has a digg account, it would really help if you could digg this link

Cheers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Seems to be ok in Waterford, a few survivors and one infected chap (spaced) about 10 mins away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

longshanks wrote: »
    Seems to be ok in Waterford, a few survivors and one infected chap (spaced) about 10 mins away

You the fella in the field out by kilbarry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

seanybiker wrote: »
    You the fella in the field out by kilbarry

The ponies need feedin bai

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭heepie

I went on a drive by around Galway today with a friend of mine and got every one infected.. =)

Really cool, but now I nothing else to do. I have to wait for more people to join so I can infect them.

Also, there should be a score points from the people you infect and a way to use your points to get a bigger infected area and other things like that. For people who are not infected a way to get points based on how much time someone is not infected and then use those points to built defenses against infections, etc.

Great game but nothing else to do at the moment. I'm glad it was me who infected all the people in Galway.... he he he!!!

heepie wrote: »
    I went on a drive by around Galway today with a friend of mine and got every one infected.. =)

Really cool, but now I nothing else to do. I have to wait for more people to join so I can infect them.

Also, there should be a score points from the people you infect and a way to use your points to get a bigger infected area and other things like that. For people who are not infected a way to get points based on how much time someone is not infected and then use those points to built defenses against infections, etc.

Great game but nothing else to do at the moment. I'm glad it was me who infected all the people in Galway.... he he he!!!
    Hahahahahahahaha nice one. What ya do anyways just open the app when your near the person?

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    Hahahahahahahaha nice one. What ya do anyways just open the app when your near the person?

That's it, once they are in range you simply tap the users marker.

Working on a level up/reward system now for after the beta, but I might introduce some new features into the beta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Just downloaded there. On holiday at the moment so there is nobody near me to infect me. Iv a feeling I won't last too long when I reach Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mrphantuan

Hey, thanks for the download, what version of android are you running? I have only been able to test this on a Galaxy S and Galaxy Europa, suprised it didn't work on the Desire.

mrphantuan wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for the download, what version of android are you running? I have only been able to test this on a Galaxy S and Galaxy Europa, suprised it didn't work on the Desire.
    Working grand on the desire hd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Tested on Samsung Galaxy S on 2.1-update1 and Motorola Milestone on 2.1-update1 and it works fine.

Then put it on a Samsung Vibrant running 2.2 and it wont connect to your server, it pops up saying GPS is disabled. But GPS and Wi-Fi are both on.

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    Tested on Samsung Galaxy S on 2.1-update1 and Motorola Milestone on 2.1-update1 and it works fine.

Then put it on a Samsung Vibrant running 2.2 and it wont connect to your server, it pops up saying GPS is disabled. But GPS and Wi-Fi are both on.

Could you try opening google maps and getting your location from there, and then trying the app again? I have seen an issue where the app will not pick up your location unless it has previously been gotten by the phone, thanks.
    Does this constantly run in the background or will I appear in the same location until I open the app again?

You will need to open the app again to register your location. I am developing a warning service for future releases that will run in the background and update your position, warning you of zombies/prey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Downloaded this last night, love the whole concept of it.

Seems like I'm the only one in Donegal though! There is a boy in Derry and I will be going through there later so be warned :D

Downloaded this last night, love the whole concept of it.

Seems like I'm the only one in Donegal though! There is a boy in Derry and I will be going through there later so be warned :D

Thanks! Trying to get numbers up; the more people playing, the better it will be :D so tell all your android friends.

Could you try opening google maps and getting your location from there, and then trying the app again? I have seen an issue where the app will not pick up your location unless it has previously been gotten by the phone, thanks.

That worked! Strange bug.

152388.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Thanks! Trying to get numbers up; the more people playing, the better it will be :D so tell all your android friends.

I will for defs.

And now facebooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Looks great blacknight well done.

I have now installed in Cork city, but can't see any other heads down here with it yet... So I think I'm safe from infection for a while :)

This may seem a stoopid question but I presume the thumb scanner is just a gimmick and not a real thumb scan?

jArgHA wrote: »
    Looks great blacknight well done.

I have now installed in Cork city, but can't see any other heads down here with it yet... So I think I'm safe from infection for a while :)

This may seem a stoopid question but I presume the thumb scanner is just a gimmick and not a real thumb scan?

Yeh it's a gimmick, I thought it helped the atmosphere of the game, give it a real life military feel. It really just acts as a replacement for the standard android progress dialog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Yeh it's a gimmick, I thought it helped the atmosphere of the game, give it a real life military feel. It really just acts as a replacement for the standard android progress dialog :)

LOve it, will spread the word, already infected though!. Was sorely tempted to get in the car last night just to drive a couple of kilometres to infect people but my missus talked me out of it. Im 33

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

someone went around the southside of dublin last night infecting people like a mofo.

Tom1991 wrote: »
    someone went around the southside of dublin last night infecting people like a mofo.

Think it was my brother, 'potato' is his user name, he's one to watch out for! He was on the rampage around town today too! Will get some sort of leader board together as soon as I have time (damn work!).:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

Haha oh im telling all my friends to get it just so i can spread the infection

Narrowly missed infecting somebody in Kingswood on the way home. He was literally 10m away from me. I forgot to get a GPS lock before getting on the bloody tram!

Created a facebook page for the game, the more people that see this the better the game will be, would appreciate it if people could like the page.

Cheers,

Kev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I got infected today...I was surrounded last night so I didn't think I was going to last long.

It'd be good if there was a push notification to warn you that there was a zombie within X amount of km/m. That way you could try escape or savour your last moments as a survivor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

Just downloaded. I scanned my thumb for the first time and my phone instantly started vibrating saying I had been infected.

There is someone within my range. I suppose he could have infected me the second I logged on but it was literally 0 seconds after I entered my name

I'd clearly be rubbish in a real-life zombie situation :cool:

• Advertisement

Cianos wrote: »
    I got infected today...I was surrounded last night so I didn't think I was going to last long.

It'd be good if there was a push notification to warn you that there was a zombie within X amount of km/m. That way you could try escape or savour your last moments as a survivor.

That is coming, android doesn't do push, but I will write a service that hits the server on regular intervals, and warn you.
    Just downloaded. I scanned my thumb for the first time and my phone instantly started vibrating saying I had been infected.

There is someone within my range. I suppose he could have infected me the second I logged on but it was literally 0 seconds after I entered my name

I'd clearly be rubbish in a real-life zombie situation
    People are randomly infected when they join, that's how I 'seed' the infection. You were just one of the unlucky ones :D

That is coming, android doesn't do push, but I will write a service that hits the server on regular intervals, and warn you.

From 2.2 on it does. :)

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/05/android-cloud-to-device-messaging.html

Use reflection if you want to keep backwards compatibility.

draffodx wrote: »
    From 2.2 on it does. :)

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/05/android-cloud-to-device-messaging.html

Use reflection if you want to keep backwards compatibility.

I've seen that before alright, still in beta so I said I'd stear clear for a while. For this type of functionality I think poll the server should do. Time will tell I guess :pac:

As a suggestion, and you prolly have already thought of this - what about allowing some way for zombies to get healed, either by eg. one (or more) people healing them when within range (unless they get infected 1st), or by zombies being able to visit a hospital of sorts, which are locations on map where they can heal themselves when within a certain range.

I had a (quite different) idea for a location-based mobile game a couple of years back but never put it into practice - just curous is there many other games in this vein out there at present for Android / iPhone?

As a suggestion, and you prolly have already thought of this - what about allowing some way for zombies to get healed, either by eg. one (or more) people healing them when within range (unless they get infected 1st), or by zombies being able to visit a hospital of sorts, which are locations on map where they can heal themselves when within a certain range.

I had a (quite different) idea for a location-based mobile game a couple of years back but never put it into practice - just curous is there many other games in this vein out there at present for Android / iPhone?
    Kinda like dead rising? Get zombrex and it keeps you human for a certain amount of time. Good thinking batman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Great idea bro, you should really put it on the Zombie survival section here on boards and send the lads on the zombie walk facebook page an add, this could get huge. i find it closing on my Desire on stock froyo, but a simple restart fixes it, seems to be every second time i run it, how do i send on the crash report??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Four

It must suck if there's no one around you for miles and miles... Lol at that 1 guy in hawaii :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

surrounded here in south dublin... won't be long now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

Four wrote: »
    It must suck if there's no one around you for miles and miles... Lol at that 1 guy in hawaii :D

don't see anyone in hawaii

• Advertisement

Four wrote: »

i can only see who is in dublin and my surrounding area, no-where else :(

projectgtr wrote: »

Press down on other areas and it'll load the users around that area :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Four

If you want to see players a bit further away, all you have to do is hold your finger down on the map for 2 seconds. Then it will load the 50 nearest players from where you pressed.

Great idea bro, you should really put it on the Zombie survival section here on boards and send the lads on the zombie walk facebook page an add, this could get huge. i find it closing on my Desire on stock froyo, but a simple restart fixes it, seems to be every second time i run it, how do i send on the crash report??

Having some issues with memory on the Desire, so I reckon that is probably what it is, working to addresss this. Does it happen when the finger animation is about to play, after scanning?
    Will definitely take a look at the zombie forums, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

perhaps when you are in range of a hospital you have an option to heal.

a simple score board then to determine how many zombies you have created or healed.

or different classes.

doctor or soldier . soldier can knock out a zombie for an hour. and a doctor can heal them .

Having some issues with memory on the Desire, so I reckon that is probably what it is, working to addresss this. Does it happen when the finger animation is about to play, after scanning?
    Will definitely take a look at the zombie forums, thanks!

Yeah its pretty much just as i scan, it starts it then shuts down, then i open the app again and it works perfect. 95% of the time its every second time i run the App, strange eh??? Never had issues with any other app closing on my phone :(
    Martron wrote: »
    perhaps when you are in range of a hospital you have an option to heal.

a simple score board then to determine how many zombies you have created or healed.

or different classes.

doctor or soldier . soldier can knock out a zombie for an hour. and a doctor can heal them .

Cool ideas would really add some more layers to the game

• Advertisement

quick question. what happens when i log out ? does it keep me in the last known location?

Martron wrote: »
    quick question. what happens when i log out ? does it keep me in the last known location?

Yes your last known location will be displayed on the map to other users. You never know when a zombie might sneak up, you need to stay on your guard :D

I want to get infected, bit boring just being a survivor...

I want to get infected, bit boring just being a survivor...

im sure that could be arranged nom nom nom brains

oh a great idea would be to let you know who infected you so you can hunt them back down!!

has great potential will be keeping my eye on this.

thank god i am out on my own tonight. i was in dublin earlier......... it was touch and go. saw 3 people getting infected. i promptly hid!!! i was left alone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement