Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New beta android app (game)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Sounds excellent. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭theblacknight

subway wrote: »
    what time is it going online? should be a nice bit of a rampage this weekend :D

I need to finish off some of the new features, this was a pretty huge re-work, and do a good bit of testing too. I am reluctant to release when I don't feel it is ready because people on the android market are very harsh with comments/reviews, I don't want it to get bogged down in one star ratings if stuff isn't working etc.. It depends on what I get done over the weekend, but maybe sunday mid-dayish..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

great, looking forward to this one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I need to finish off some of the new features, this was a pretty huge re-work, and do a good bit of testing too. I am reluctant to release when I don't feel it is ready because people on the android market are very harsh with comments/reviews, I don't want it to get bogged down in one star ratings if stuff isn't working etc.. It depends on what I get done over the weekend, but maybe sunday mid-dayish..

Host it online somewhere and we can help test it for you away from the market, anyone being harsh on here will be liable for a swift kick in the nuts! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Good stuff blackknight, feels good being in on this from the start and then watching it grow. Fair play to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Yes if you want some pre-release testers, point us in the direction of the APK and we can give it a day or two before being officially launched on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

Brilliant app! I didn't last long as a surviver. Who got me (morpork)? I'll get my revenge after the wipe hopefully!

For some future update have you considered a message to say who and when someone infects you?

P.S I got a couple of crashes on my HTC Desire, so I sent a report. Happened when I loaded people by holding down a point on the map.

Thanks for this game! ^_^

Noooooooooooooo!!!!! Some fucker infected me.

Think I'll go for a drive and spread the good news

• Advertisement

longshanks wrote: »
    Noooooooooooooo!!!!! Some fucker infected me.

Think I'll go for a drive and spread the good news

I got 2 or 3 today along the path of the red luas line and Henry st. Think "B_Man" was one.

Ah jaysis there's someone up the road from me and I'm clean again after flashing new rom.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Ah jaysis there's someone up the road from me and I'm clean again after flashing new rom.

I got infected yesterday, so last night took a trip up to Hillview and then over to Ferrybank to spread the good news with you and someone called riku but even though I was within reach of ye both I couldn't infect ye.
    But you're a marked man..............

longshanks wrote: »
    I got infected yesterday, so last night took a trip up to Hillview and then over to Ferrybank to spread the good news with you and someone called riku but even though I was within reach of ye both I couldn't infect ye.
    But you're a marked man..............
    How come you couldnt infect me? Shoulda called in for a culpable tae

Cuppa not culpable. That's an odd auto correct!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Looking forward to the update :-)

I'm also willing to help beta test the beta if you throw up an APK

Looking forward to the update :-)

I'm also willing to help beta test the beta if you throw up an APK

Cheers, got a few final tweaks to make tonight, should hopefully be able to make an apk available to you guys tomorrow night, just got the achievements done. UI will be a little rough, but hope to have that sorted by next Sunday, and put the new version on the market then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

I installed it last night, I bet this will be so addictive when people closer to me start to use it!

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Any time I try and give a username to get started it says it's invalid. Htc desire running cyanogen 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

baz8080 wrote: »
    I got 2 or 3 today along the path of the red luas line and Henry st. Think "B_Man" was one.

Wanker!!!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Realised just now how cushy I've had it in limerick, heading towards dublin at the moment, seems I'll be lucky if I get out alive!!!

On a different matter, is there anything that could be done to make the game more playable in low-coverage areas where google maps isn't feasible?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

I told my brother about this so he installed it, he started off infected so now the weekend should be fun! I'll have to ban his phone from the house LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Realised just now how cushy I've had it in limerick, heading towards dublin at the moment, seems I'll be lucky if I get out alive!!!

On a different matter, is there anything that could be done to make the game more playable in low-coverage areas where google maps isn't feasible?

I got infected in Limerick despite coming out alive in Galway!

My zombie was "drumbum", she could still be there for all I know but I wiped my phone and haven't installed it again yet. Gonna wait for the newer version to come out.

plonk wrote: »
    Any time I try and give a username to get started it says it's invalid. Htc desire running cyanogen 7

What user names have you tried? There should be no spaces, and alpha-numeric characters only.

Was thinking about this for future releases, had a couple of ideas for single player location based challenges, that is low priority for the moment however, focusing on the newer version for the next while. Once that stabilises there will be more.

Single player missions would be cool. Keep up the good work chap.

What user names have you tried? There should be no spaces, and alpha-numeric characters only.

obviously there are alot of plonks out there, tried plonk, Plonkus a few more and it eventually worked with Plonkus87.

I'm clean but stuck in Galway city, surrounded by zombies who are starved for fresh meat.

Oh no I'm surrounded!!!

Some1 got me, I knew I wouldnt last long. Averagero is looking very lonely out in salthill though and I'm famished.

Hey guys, here is a rough build of the new version of the game. I have installed this build on my galaxy S and it seems to be running ok. Things to notice:
    • This build will not replace your existing build, it can be run side by side. You will need to create a new account in this build.
    • New menu items on home screen and map view.
    • When creating an account you can specify an identifier. Using this you log into an existing account. You don't get your identifier until you have created an account, and it is available from settings in the menu. Just take note of your identifier if you re-install, and use it to log in using the same name.
    • The map view no longer refreshes automatically, select refresh from the menu.
    • You can now attack zombies! There are some rules however. Once you attack a zombie, they cannot be attacked again until they log in and sync (This is so you cannot just keep attacking the zombie and levelling up).
    • You level up by infecting people/attacking zombies. At certain levels you will gain achievements. Achievements can be viewed by selecting 'Achievements' from the menu on the home screen. I'm not going to give away any of the achievements, but the first zombie achievement comes at level 3, which means infecting 6 users.
    I want to get working on some *beta* leader boards for the site too, I hope to get this up soon.

If you try this out (Thanks!) please let me know of any crashes, and what you were doing when it crashed. Feel free to post any feedback on this thread. Better than one star reviews on the (always harsh! :D) android market.

Thanks!

-Kev

BRRRRAAAIIIINSSS!!!

BRRRRAAAIIIINSSS!!!

I got someone called Methos this morning on the bus .. 49, just after getting into town :D

• Advertisement

Come on people!, I want brains!

btw: short url for the apk:

http://goo.gl/xm5lU

baz8080 wrote: »
    Come on people!, I want brains!

btw: short url for the apk:

http://goo.gl/xm5lU

And

xm5lU

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Excellent, Thanks.

question / suggestion, is there still no way to "dis-infect", i.e. will everyone become infected sooner or later?
    if so the game is severely weighted towards the zombies and the only real goal will be to get infected early as otherwise there wont be enough "living" to get anything.
    i'll install later and see how it goes, but the original started to get boring after a day or two of everyone being infected

question / suggestion, is there still no way to "dis-infect", i.e. will everyone become infected sooner or later?
    if so the game is severely weighted towards the zombies and the only real goal will be to get infected early as otherwise there wont be enough "living" to get anything.
    i'll install later and see how it goes, but the original started to get boring after a day or two of everyone being infected

Zombies will now have a harder time infecting people, because when poeple attack the zombie will be taken out of the game for a certain amount of time (depends on the survivors level). There also will be options to change sides in the future (maybe an in app purchase :)).. will be doing incremental releases, adding new features as often as I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Running fine on my Desire. Good work BlackNight.
    Not too many people around though but that should hopefully change in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Works great on Desire running Oxygen 2.0.3 Gingerbread. :) If all those people who registered for the previous version sign up here it's gonna be fun.

Zombies will now have a harder time infecting people, because when poeple attack the zombie will be taken out of the game for a certain amount of time (depends on the survivors level). There also will be options to change sides in the future (maybe an in app purchase :)).. will be doing incremental releases, adding new features as often as I can.
    cool, keep it in mind for a future release if you can, otherwise the only eventual outcome is a 100% zombie population, except for a few stragglers in the hills.
    might be realistic but maybe not so much fun :)

also, have you thought about the risk to the game from GPS spoofing?
    multiple market apps allow that.

cool, keep it in mind for a future release if you can, otherwise the only eventual outcome is a 100% zombie population, except for a few stragglers in the hills.
    might be realistic but maybe not so much fun :)

also, have you thought about the risk to the game from GPS spoofing?
    multiple market apps allow that.

I'm also thinking that when a survivor gets to a certain level they will be able to cure zombies, maybe cure one per day. Lots more achievements/challenges to come :D I hope to roll out functional updates every week or two (depending on how much time I get to work at it)

Yep, when I release this to the market I will have checks to see if mock locations is enabled .. won't be allowed play if it is, those apps require that allow mock locations is enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I'm also thinking that when a survivor gets to a certain level they will be able to cure zombies, maybe cure one per day. Lots more achievements/challenges to come :D I hope to roll out functional updates every week or two (depending on how much time I get to work at it)

Hmm, I don't like that

Woohoo levels and all that :) I'm so happy I could piss

Cianos wrote: »
    Hmm, I don't like that

They would have to be in range of course..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Ah i was infected straight away! this should be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

It refused to connect to the server until I disabled GPS...zte blade on 2.3, drop me a pm if you want me to try anything else...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Seems to be working fine for me on ZTE Blade, 2.1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Looking good on HTC Desire.

What is the 'Range' that comes up when you tap on a user's icon in the map view? Is this how far away from another person they need to be to infect / attack them?

Couple of points:
    * The Help didn't appear to be working - pointed browser to what looked like an internal IP address?

* I see the Warning Notification system not there yet - any plans to introduce this?

Keep up the good work, looking forward to infecting / attacking with the new release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

@theblacknight The help page is pointing at your local address. 192.168.......

jArgHA wrote: »
    Looking good on HTC Desire.

What is the 'Range' that comes up when you tap on a user's icon in the map view? Is this how far away from another person they need to be to infect / attack them?

Couple of points:
    * The Help didn't appear to be working - pointed browser to what looked like an internal IP address?

* I see the Warning Notification system not there yet - any plans to introduce this?

Keep up the good work, looking forward to infecting / attacking with the new release.

Thanks, the help section hasn't changed yet, just hit outbreakza.com to find it.

The range is showing that users range in metres. So if a user has a range of 600 and you have a range of 500, it is possible that you could be in a position where they can attack you but you can't attack them :)

The notification system will be introduced sometime after this weekend hopefully. Need to make sure everything is working properly, and as crash free as possible before market release so that's my priority for the next few days. Also need to update the website with leader boards etc.. they will be pretty basic at first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Seems to be running great on my desire.

When I registered though I was infected straight away but nobody is in range of me.
    Not sure if that was intentional to ensure there is at least 1 zombie in certain areas or an error but thought its worth mentioning

Seems to be running great on my desire.

When I registered though I was infected straight away but nobody is in range of me.
    Not sure if that was intentional to ensure there is at least 1 zombie in certain areas or an error but thought its worth mentioning

About one in ten people is infected when they register, it's not location based. Although I may do something like this in the future, make sure at least 5% of each country is infected etc..

• Advertisement
Advertisement