Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old pc, new hdd too big.

• 18-03-2011 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

i am fixing someones oldish pc Fuji siemans Scaleo 400.

the hard drive was faulty failed some test so i bought a new 160gig one.
    i didnt realise that the pc might have a problem with a larger hard drive when buying it.

anyway when trying to install the the os on the new hard drive i got a bsod stop error 0x0000007b etc.

from the little bit of research i did it seems the pc cant handle the larger hdd.

i found a proposed solution on the internet to tweek the bios to accept it but the bios on the pc wont allow me to do that.

is there anyway to "fool" the pc into thinking its a smaller hdd or making it think its two hdd's?

or is there anything else i can do?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I don't know if it will work or not (better here that I might tell you) but have you thought about connecting it to another PC that can see it, repartitioning it into smaller sizes and then re-inserting it into the older machine in hope that might work (in fooling the BIOS)?

Just a mad idea. Never tried it myself but I should if I ever come across the same condition problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Not supporting a 160GB drive would likely be a 48-bit LBA issue (max drive 137GB).

It can be caused by a combination of motherboard and OS. Windows XP only supported it after Service Pack 1, if you are trying to install from a disc that is pre-SP1 that may be your problem.

Download GParted Live CD, burn it as an ISO, and then boot from it. It'll let you partition the drive into paritions smaller than 137GB. Then give Windows another shot. Alternatively do as suggested above, put the drive in another computer and use that to parition it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

thanks for the replys.

sorry but forgot to mention, when trying to install the os, i put in the disc and let it load away, and just when it was getting to the "press enter to install, press r to repair, etc" screen i would get the bsod.

i had another scaleo 400 which i put the hard drive into and installed the os onto it and then put it back into the main pc but it wouldnt work.

just got that stop error again.

ill try to partition it and see how that goes.

cross everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Another option, get another smaller disk for the OS and use the 160GB disk as a slave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

trebor28 wrote: »
    thanks for the replys.

sorry but forgot to mention, when trying to install the os, i put in the disc and let it load away, and just when it was getting to the "press enter to install, press r to repair, etc" screen i would get the bsod.

i had another scaleo 400 which i put the hard drive into and installed the os onto it and then put it back into the main pc but it wouldnt work.

just got that stop error again.

ill try to partition it and see how that goes.

cross everything.

In that case its probably something else.

• Advertisement

good stuff lads.

i partitioned the hdd and it has installed so so far so good.

thanks

good stuff lads.

i partitioned the hdd and it has installed so so far so good.

thanks
    Good to hear.
    It was just a mad crazy idea.
    Delighted to hear madness ideas sometimes pays off. :D

Biggins wrote: »
    Good to hear.
    It was just a mad crazy idea.
    Delighted to hear madness ideas sometimes pays off. :D

could you quantify the amount of sarcasm in that for me?

just so i know.

could you quantify the amount of sarcasm in that for me?

just so i know.
    Well the wife oft times says I'm nuts.
    So if one good idea comes out of my head occasionally if thats the case, it must be a good day for me! :D

Advertisement