Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standhouse Hotel Knocked Down

Options
  • 18-03-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

I was driving past the Curragh Racecourse this afternoon and the hotel has been knocked down, are they going ahead with the develpoment there at last???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Not that I've heard.

It had been used for Army hostage training and the insides had been blown to bits during various excercises.

Possibly due to its state, it had to be demolished for safety concerns or because it was an eyesore with all the holes in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Think it's just to be used as an overflow carpark for the race course.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Was going to post this up too,shocked to see the bulldozers flattening it the other day,looks like the Gym/pool and maybe the new side with the bar is still up.
    Seemed strange to be doing this on the Curraghs opening weekend :confused:.

The Greyhound stadium is closing too,soon there will be nothing but the sheep!oh and helicopters :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

Its a pity to see this happen in the local area,

Part of the reason why i bought a home in newbridge was because of the local services,

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ftoolio

It's a shame it was knocked, always a hive of activity during the Derby weekend. As far as I was aware the Aga Khan purchased the hotel back in 2003 and donated it to the turf club so how it went under is a bit of a mystery...

Didn't realise the dog stadium was going, thats a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

wasnt there plans to join it to the racecourse, thats what i heard when they changed the road layout and put in the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

After the save the curragh or protect the curragh group complained to planning authority and in fact went to court they held up the development.

This lasted 3 years and then the economic **** hit the fan and now the development is cancelled due to a lack of funds.

It will be used as a car park overflow for the races.

Advertisement