Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Digital HDD - RMA'd but they havent recieved it - what now?

• 18-03-2011 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

i bought an external HDD from amazon back in January, and in early feb it broke and wouldnt work at all. amazon said it had nothing to do with them and to RMA it back to WD. i opened a ticket with WD RMA services and posted the HDD to the UK (at my expense!)

postage date was the 23/2/2011 (have receipt in front of me)
    checked in there to see what was taking so long an apparently WD are "still waiting on product to arrive"

**** what do i do now? ive no proof besides a receipt from An Post to prove i sent them something.

i entered the Tracking number on the receipt into an posts tracking page and it said the number was not recognized.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Its likely gone missing in the post. There's nothing you can do at this stage except wait.

If it doesnt turn up, you'll be out a HDD, chalk it up as a lesson. You really need to use registered post for things of value, so you can claim at least some of it back if it goes missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Its likely gone missing in the post. There's nothing you can do at this stage except wait.

If it doesnt turn up, you'll be out a HDD, chalk it up as a lesson. You really need to use registered post for things of value, so you can claim at least some of it back if it goes missing.
    **** sake.
    This whole thing has been an absolute nightmare, and it makes me think twice about buying electronics/valuables from amazon again. the fact that it was 40 days old and used 5 times in that time before dying is ridiculous. amazon doesn't accept liability as (even though it was bought from them directly and not a reseller/market place seller) it was out of their 30 day exchange refund etc policy. then i have to pay the postage expense to the UK which is nonrefundable.

but im nearly €100 out of pocket now because it didn't cross my mind to get it insured while posting it..

i going to go break something now to relieve the frustration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Have you checked with An Post by phone? If you have a tracking number they should be able to trace it for you. Is the tracking number printed or hand written on the receipt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

oisin wrote: »
    Have you checked with An Post by phone? If you have a tracking number they should be able to trace it for you. Is the tracking number printed or hand written on the receipt?
    i phoned them up yea, but apparently it wasnt registered post (my doing most likely as maybe i never specified) all i have is a refference nuimber on the reciept.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    i phoned them up yea, but apparently it wasnt registered post (my doing most likely as maybe i never specified) all i have is a refference nuimber on the reciept.

Been there and know what it's like. I was ripped off by An Post in the same way when my GTX8800 went missing in their care too. They won't recompense people as they claim it's not in the conditions even with proof of postage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I'm awaiting a replacement WD media player and then I have to RMA my other one.
    So registered post it is then. How much was it to send back?

Let me know how u get on.
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Sadly things like this happen alot my broken phone was lost in the post before while being sent back was not happy about it at all:(
    I've also found WD hard drives to be notorious for failing had two of the same model before each broke within a few months this was an external 1TB i had over 600GB on each when they failed was very annoying loosing all that data!
    I have to say tough IF my HDD was lost in the post i would be seriously p1ssed off about it especially since yours was only one months old fails then an post get the product lost:rolleyes::rolleyes:just a very unlucky sort of events.
    hoping it does eventually be found and get to its destination and all works out for you.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    amazon said it had nothing to do with them and to RMA it back to WD.
    They have no right telling you that. They are the seller, your contract is with them, not with the manufacturer. UK and Irish law requires that they deal with any defective products.

Retailers are usually perfectly aware of their obligations, they are just very good at confusing consumers who often don't know their rights. When you bring a problem to them they will usually act on the assumption that you are either not using the product correctly or you broke it yourself, in which case they are right to redirect you the manufacturer for support. Any time you have to deal with a retailer always be clear that the product is defective and insist they deal with it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

been there done the RMA 3 times with WD hard drives

if you sent it by registered mail.... contact the postal company you sent it out via.

if you didnt send it via registered mail it could be anywhere.

WD do have a very slow RMA process however. on average for me it was roughly 12 weeks turnaround time.

needless to say I dont buy WD drives anymore....their QA system sucks badly.

Advertisement