Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermostat wiring help please

Options
  • 18-03-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

Just had a new boiler installed, the plumber left me with a nice new controls that I can program when to turn off and on the boiler, and he used a Dial type thermostat in the sitting room to set the temperature. If the room is cold (thermostat triggered) AND the timer says to come on, the heat comes on.

picture.php?albumid=1631&pictureid=9015
    Currently have brown wire on 1 and blue wire on 3. So thats Live (or switched live?) and neutral right?

I bought a Salus RT500 off the interweb and figured i would swap the dial thermostat for this one so I could program a few temperature changes during the day - with the same idea as the dial - just done automatic, set it and forget it.

Thing is i have two wires - brown and blue, and im not sure if its a simple swap in the two wires and i get the same effect...

The back plate on the Salus is L and SL... but I thought I had L/SL and Neutral. The Salus isnt asking for neutral on the back plate. Here is the diagram, maybe that makes more sense...

picture.php?albumid=1631&pictureid=9014

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

looks like your old stat and new battery programmable stat are basic 2-wire

no prob there

you'd need to over-ride the existing timing for the zone though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Yeah Ok thats probably over my head so. I forgot about the zone part. The other controls near the boiler takes care of the on/off for rads and for water.

I assume that the thermostat i install, much like the old one will only control the 1 zone for the rads. Pretty sure the plumber said that - and thats what i asked for.

So... brown wire to L and Blue wire to SL on the new thermostat then? Pretty obvious yeah? I guess what through me was that it needs a battery - i thot once i had it wired up the power would come on and i wouldnt need the battery. Doesnt seem to be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ya- it seems to be battery powered(2*AA) with a volt-free contact

Advertisement