Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever noticed that vegans tend to be pro choice when it comes to abortion?

Options
  • 18-03-2011 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Do you find it hypocritical that they value the life of an animal against that of an unborn child? They won't eat their meat because it is cruel to kill them, they won't eat their by products (milk, cheese, eggs) because it is inhumane to keep them in captivity...but yet they tend to be pro choice on abortion?

I find this obsurd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

It's been a while since an abortion/veggie debate on here... We'll see how this goes.

Men and women have quite different views, so please do state which you are with your two cents.

sweet-rasmus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Keeping an unborn child in captivity is cruel too. Best to put it out of its misery.

Trolling aside,
    Lots of people have hypocritical beliefs. As an obvious example, look at all the people who claim to "love animals" and still eat them. (In fact, why are pro-lifers not vegan?)
    However, you can be logically consistent as a pro-choice vegan if you, as I imagine the case tends to be, don't see life as beginning at conception. Which is what abortion debates tend to boil down to.

I am surprised you haven't encountered this line of thought before, which would surely reduce the absurdity of the scenario.

fwiw: female, pro-choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I find it absurd that someone thinks there's a relationship between what you eat and your views on what a woman should or shouldn't do with her own body. What next - have you noticed how vegetarians/vegans are less likely to vote Fianna Fail for example? btw Male, Vegetarian and pro-choice too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Just because you're pro choice does not mean you're pro abortion. Rather you believe people have the moral right to choose for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Jim wrote: »
    Just because you're pro choice does not mean you're pro abortion.

this

I'm in favour of abortion, especially for skangers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Serendipity99

OP has not stated whether he/she is a vegetarian or a vegan.

I'm not aware of any connection between veganism and abortion. I don't know how you can connect these 2 issues.

OP has not stated whether he/she is a vegetarian or a vegan.

I'm not aware of any connection between veganism and abortion. I don't know how you can connect these 2 issues.
    I imagine it's the stereotype of the leftie student vegan pro lifer. Probably a lesbian to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I imagine it's the stereotype of the leftie student vegan pro lifer. Probably a lesbian to.
    Huh, isn't the stereotype of a pro-choicer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Hey! I may be a student vegan but I am not a leftie! :p

I don't state my opinion on abortion very often 'cos it's a topic that inevitably leads to rows, but I do think it needs to be legislated for one way or the other ASAP. Now, does that make me a vegan or a lesbian? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭loueuro2

i think its the womans choice whether they whose abortion or not, no one has the right to judge, until your in that situation, im sure its not taken lighty.
    what about someone who was raped/finainal insurure/lone parent/too young, surely very situation is different and im sure they make the right choice for themselves.
    vegan-female

• Advertisement

Huh, isn't the stereotype of a pro-choicer?
    Yea. I'm crap at stereotyping and regular typing. :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I'm pro-choice. I think we should have the right to choose to kill people who have the wrong view differing views to our own. I'd kill all the vegans. Male, eat what I damn well want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

rofl :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

just wondering where you are getting this link from op? I'm vegetarian and I would be pro-choice but I don't see how the two are connected :confused: It's a very personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

SFA to do with V&V or anything in the Food & Drink section. Try Humanities.

Thanks,

HB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement