Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why exactly do people want a united Ireland?

• 18-03-2011 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

People in the north and south have their own democracy now, so what is the issue? How exactly would it change our or their lives if there was a united Ireland?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I don't know in all honesty. Some seem to think the island overall has some god given right to be a republic with little actual benefits of it. Not to mention getting it up the 'Prods'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

For the majority of people in the republic I think this issue has become less and less important with the passing of time. For the first 60 or so years of the state it was an issue that most people and parties had strong opinions about. In the recent election I don't think anyone even mentioned it (apart from probably SF).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

A better football team......thats all I can think of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

If the Republic doesn't gain any extra resources by uniting with the North than I really don't see the point. If there is, then I might be interested.

The people who really want a united Ireland, in my opinion, are people who are brainwashed by nationalism.

In the end, a state should be there to help the people and ensure everything works efficiently and at the minute I could only see a united Ireland causing more hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

It seems to be the principle of the thing. I'd almost love to see it happen just to watch the proponents of it work out the logistics. Almost...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

donvito99 wrote: »
    A better football team......thats all I can think of

Good grief! Not that long ago that thought would never have entered anyones head, Keith Gillespie was about the only one coveted for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Only in Ireland would such questions be asked. Could you image any other country where another country invades, breaks it up and someone asks 'Why would you want a united (country X)'.
    For any Irish Patriot this question is just dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Predator_ wrote: »
    Only in Ireland would such questions be asked. Could you image any other country where another country invades, breaks it up and someone asks 'Why would you want a united (country X)'.
    When was the last time the island of ireland was a republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

no one at the moment in interested in unity and wont be for a long time.the south has banking problems and the north is has its own by the uk itself being in economic recession.there wont be any united ireland anyhow for a long long time.you might have a catholic majority in NI within a few years maybe even quicker but nationalist population feel its not the right time for unity and they could never be so right.it will take a generation,maybe 2 or 3 before unity will happen,alot more has to be done before it happens.enda kenny isint worried as it wont happen in his life time.a lot will have to do with the scottish parliament too.if they claim independence within 20 years.they thought it could happen with in 10 but highly unlikely now with these time.let us get on with our lives and not worry about things like this,there is far bigger worries but one day i would like to see it happen and i have no doubt it will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Why did we want independence in the first place? Same reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Why did we want independence in the first place? Same reason.

The point is - the North is more independent now than it ever was and getting more independence by the year. Were they to "join" up with the republic again this would be lost.
    To be honest I get the impression that there are many in the North who are relatively happy with the way things are and based on what I know most citizens of Ireland appear to be ok with the way things are as well.

kippy wrote: »
    The point is - the North is more independent now than it ever was and getting more independence by the year. Were they to "join" up with the republic again this would be lost.
    To be honest I get the impression that there are many in the North who are relatively happy with the way things are and based on what I know most citizens of Ireland appear to be ok with the way things are as well.
    They would much more of a say if they had a government devolved from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

What would be the point - they have their own monetary system, political system, culture, language etc and we have ours - so what would there to be gained for anyone. It would simple stir up too many old wounds and create more rivalry than it would be worth. Besides, it is never going to happen.

They would much more of a say if they had a government devolved from Dublin.

A devolved government from Dublin? You arent being serious are you - that to me sounds like wanting the best of both/every world.
    They've more power up there right now than they ever would by joing up with the 26 counties. A devolved government with the republic wouldnt fly on so many levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

What's the point of patriotism? How does it benefit the ordinary people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

A devolved government from Dublin? You arent being serious are you - that to me sounds like wanting the best of both/every world.
    They've more power up there right now than they ever would by joing up with the 26 counties. A devolved government with the republic wouldnt fly on so many levels.
    No they dont. What % MPs do they have in Westminster?

Why would it "not fly on so many levels". I think its a fair compromise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

The island would have been better off if partition had never happened. As it is a UI would be more hassle than it would be worth imo.

No they dont. What % MPs do they have in Westminster?

Why would it "not fly on so many levels". I think its a fair compromise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_Assembly

They already have a devolved government.
    Why would it not fly?
    Well, your either in the republic or your not. I dont see many Irish Citizens supporting two governments, two political classes etc.
    Why wouldnt it fly on so many levels, mainly because of the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

What's the point of patriotism? How does it benefit the ordinary people?

Bet you if we were talking about British soldiers and how they die for their country overseas and someone mentioned patriotism you wouldnt have typed that response.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Problem is its nearly 80 years since partition, Unlike Germany and Korea who not only had partition but also a real separation, Ireland's partition does not really effect the day to day living of people on this island, there is no real boarder, people move with ease. Majority of people in north want to be part of UK, not much we can do to unit an island under the same parliament if people don't want it. I don't think we will ever see a peaceful united ireland, there simply is not the democratic mandate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_Assembly

They already have a devolved government.
    Why would it not fly?
    Well, your either in the republic or your not. I dont see many Irish Citizens supporting two governments, two political classes etc.
    Why wouldnt it fly on so many levels, mainly because of the money.

The assembly has very limited power, London is still in charge, dont overlook that.

If you are interested, maybe you should look up the "Éire nua" model, I think we will end up with something like that eventually.

The assembly has very limited power, London is still in charge, dont overlook that.

If you are interested, maybe you should look up the "Éire nua" model, I think we will end up with something like that eventually.

The assembly has at least SOME power - power the six counties would not have under a full republic - which is, after all, the ideal that many are putting forward.
    The North has so many positives over the south - remaining under current governance has so many more positives than negatives. Things still aren't perfect up there, don't get me wrong but there are more pros than cons from what I can see.

I honestly think enough people dont care enough for anything like this to happen.

The assembly has at least SOME power - power the six counties would not have under a full republic - which is, after all, the ideal that many are putting forward.
    The North has so many positives over the south - remaining under current governance has so many more positives than negatives. Things still aren't perfect up there, don't get me wrong but there are more pros than cons from what I can see.

I honestly think enough people dont care enough for anything like this to happen.
    The people in the 6 would have much more say on national policy in a 32 county framework than they do in the union.

The people in the 6 would have much more say on national policy in a 32 county framework than they do in the union.

So you suggesting they want to be able to influence national policy but with a devolved 6 countie government?
    So what policies do you think they would like changed to match that of the Republic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

KeithAFC wrote: »
    When was the last time the island of ireland was a republic?

More importantly when was the island of Ireland ever unified? Wasn't it just a series of independent kingdoms prior to the English arriving. Who only came to help one fight another?

So you suggesting they want to be able to influence national policy but with a devolved 6 countie government?
    So what policies do you think they would like changed to match that of the Republic?
    Oh dear. What I am saying is that with a devolved govt unionists neednt fear the fenians as much.

Oh dear. What I am saying is that with a devolved govt unionists neednt fear the fenians as much.

Oh Dear what -I put two questions to you, neither were answered.
    Unionists and "fenians"? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Adrian009

Its said that there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

Implying that only True Irish Patriots know the answer to this, and that it need no explanation, makes it fall into the latter.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Adrian009

sollar wrote: »
    The island would have been better off if partition had never happened. As it is a UI would be more hassle than it would be worth imo.

But it DID happen. And so here we are.

For the record, Ireland was never an independent all-island state united under one form of government. The present reality reflects historical precedence.

Advertisement