Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why exactly do people want a united Ireland?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

effluent wrote: »
    People in the north and south have their own democracy now, so what is the issue? How exactly would it change our or their lives if there was a united Ireland?

Football, Pride, Revenge. That's pretty much it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PatricaMcKay

K-9 wrote: »
    It was known that they were at it in Dublin. Garda and journalist reports that you will not accept anyway, so it's pointless. Even if there were convictions, it'd probably be a frame up! ;)

Possibly, but I would look at the evidence presented first...Why have their been no convictions if journalists and Garda have all this evidence? Little suspicious no? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Possibly, but I would look at the evidence presented first...Why have their been no convictions if journalists and Garda have all this evidence? Little suspicious no? ;)

Well we all know how difficult it is to get a conviction, doesn't mean they are guilty of course, but OJ was innocent!

It is beyond reasonable doubt. Interesting the case this week of the extradition to France, but I digress.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PatricaMcKay

It is beyond reasonable doubt.

It would be interesting to find out if you know anyone from working class communities that have been ravaged by drugs and have tried to fight back against the pushers, maybe it would be good to ask them whether their views on the Garda and likewise on the Republican movement and which has been conistently against them and which conisistently on their side.

It is beyond reasonable doubt that the powers that be will do all in their power to slander revolutionary movements or even radical reformers. It is not beyond reasonable doubt that members of the IRSP or volunteers in the INLA are involved in the drugs business (which alienate them from their support base big time who know well the evils that drugs bring).

It would be interesting to find out if you know anyone from working class communities that have been ravaged by drugs and have tried to fight back against the pushers, maybe it would be good to ask them whether their views on the Garda and likewise on the Republican movement and which has been conistently against them and which conisistently on their side.

It is beyond reasonable doubt that the powers that be will do all in their power to slander revolutionary movements or even radical reformers. It is not beyond reasonable doubt that members of the IRSP or volunteers in the INLA are involved in the drugs business (which alienate them from their support base big time who know well the evils that drugs bring).

Ah, I though there was a chance of a reasonable discussion here. My bad.

Do you have proof beyond reasonable doubt that Gardai will do everything to slander revolutionary movements?

As for the INLA and IRP's, what support base?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Its really very simple.

The UK has a terrible track record at protecting minorities / recognising & accepting that not all of its citizens are the same.

I'm not harping back to cromwell either, Im talk about events as recent as 10 years ago.

Sure things are fine at the moment, but this is a very rare moment of calm and one which can change with the political winds.

There are over half a million Irishmen in Northern Ireland, who were given the short end of the stick. Its not about taking back whats ours, its about looking out for our fellow Irishmen.

It would be wrong to force reunification by violent action. It would be wrong to force the majority of the population of NI to join a country they feel they would be persecuted in. I think we need to have a degree of responsibility, input and oversight with the UK though; to ensure that the mistakes of the past are not repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

effluent wrote: »
    People in the north and south have their own democracy now, so what is the issue? How exactly would it change our or their lives if there was a united Ireland?

If a person kidnapped your child you would want it back wouldn't you? Now, if that child grew up thinking that the kidnapper was his father do you think that child should be left with the kidnapper or given back to the rightful parent.

It's the principle of it. It's just wrong that Ireland is partitioned and everybody knows how to put it right even the kidnapper. Our only problem is convincing the child that he needs to go back with his rightful parent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

niallers1 wrote: »
    It's the principle of it. It's just wrong that Ireland is partitioned and everybody knows how to put it right.

Partitioned? Is there a big wall stopping people from crossing from one side to the other? People carry on like it's Korea or Germany but it's not. Just because Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland share a land mass and have plenty of cross over in culture and sport doesn't mean they have to become one country There are plenty of Islands in the world that have more then one country on them - Hispaniola, Timor, New Guinea, Borneo etc etc so it's not such a far fetched idea. The rugby team gets on just fine representing two countries and even that isn't so far fetched an idea as the West Indies cricket team is made up of 15 countries. The kidnapped child example is poor because it implies the child once lived with the birth family but the North has never been part of the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

I suppose the whole thread is irrelevant really.

It's laid out in law that as soon as 50% + 1 person in the north want re-unification it will happen.

Demographics/time will sort out the issue. The next census in the north will be interesting.

It's laid out in law that as soon as 50% + 1 person in the north want re-unification it will happen.

Demographics/time will sort out the issue. The next census in the north will be interesting.

There seems to be a perception that once Catholics get a majority that it will translate to a majority for a UI.

Don't think so myself, I'd say it'll need to be around 60% myself and even then, given recent events, that mightn't even do it.

The economy will come more and more into it, nearer the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There seems to be a perception that once Catholics get a majority that it will translate to a majority for a UI.

Don't think so myself, I'd say it'll need to be around 60% myself and even then, given recent events, that mightn't even do it.

There is not 60% support for the union right now, its not as clear cut as you make it, neither side will have 60% support in the near future.

gurramok wrote: »
    There is not 60% support for the union right now, its not as clear cut as you make it, neither side will have 60% support in the near future.

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭briany

Why exactly do people post a new thread discussing a united Ireland every other week???

Nothing new being said here. One big merged discussion on this should be pinned to the top and have done with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Need to get away from this whole mindset that if you're Catholic you're nationalist and if you're Protestant you're unionist. Firstly it's only ever been broadly true and secondly there are a growing number on each side who buck that trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I don't think that is correct. I remember reading even on here that isn't right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

karma_ wrote: »
    Need to get away from this whole mindset that if you're Catholic you're nationalist and if you're Protestant you're unionist. Firstly it's only ever been broadly true and secondly there are a growing number on each side who buck that trend.

Protestants in the north supporting a United Ireland....... hens teeth comes to mind :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Predator_ wrote: »
    Only in Ireland would such questions be asked. Could you image any other country where another country invades, breaks it up and someone asks 'Why would you want a united (country X)'.
    For any Irish Patriot this question is just dumb.

The Saarland belongs to the Reich!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    The assembly has very limited power, London is still in charge, dont overlook that.

If you are interested, maybe you should look up the "Éire nua" model, I think we will end up with something like that eventually.
    Ireland would become a federal state, with parliaments for each of its four provinces as well as a central parliament based in Athlone

Sounds absolutlely absurd tbh.
    If Republicans are serious about the nationalist agenda, the best thing they could do is get serious about economics. And not just "tax the rich" economics, but long-term growth. Because while they rely on misty-eyed nationalism for a lot of their support on the ground, out in the real world, the economics of the situation are going to drive the politics - and that goes for both the politicians and the voters who will ultimately have to consent to unification.

Republicans are backward, unionists are backward, NI would only be a huge drag on the country in so many ways, in economic and political capital, and then we'd have to suffer all the policing problems and sectarian nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Just a quick question, Can anyone explain the Economic reasoning behind having a border between north and south? Dose it bring any economic benefit to either side?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Just a quick question, Can anyone explain the Economic reasoning behind having a border between north and south? Dose it bring any economic benefit to either side?
    Of course it does. Just ask Slab Murphy, or any of his smuggling buddies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭wee truck big driver

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    and the republic is still pumping money into the north along with th u.k goverment to try and buy peace.

Of course it does. Just ask Slab Murphy, or any of his smuggling buddies.
    whats he smuggling

seem like a strange question if somebody steals something how much time has to pass before they can claim its theres because they have had it for so long e.g somebody comes into your house throws you out kills some of your family after years of torture and starvation they agree to let you use the bottom halve of the house do you thank them or say its my house i want it all

It was known that they were at it in Dublin. Garda and journalist reports that you will not accept anyway, so it's pointless. Even if there were convictions, it'd probably be a frame up! ;)
    like the ones in donegal you mean

like the ones in donegal you mean

Wasn't aware it was them. That wasn't a whataboutery tactic now was it? Couldn't be on a Republican thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I am not very aware of the economy in the north but if a UI did com about would the Northern Ireland Economy not become part of the republic's economy the same way Cork or Louth's economy is ? Or would northern Ireland have a devolved Government from Dublin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Or would northern Ireland have a devolved Government from Dublin ?

But Why? why swap a devolved assembly from London for a delvolved assembly from Dublin?

not a good swap me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

LordSutch wrote: »
    But Why? why swap a devolved assembly from London for a delvolved assembly from Dublin?

not a good swap me thinks.

they can do what they want but it would be a final say from dublin.even if a united ireland ever came about it would still takes years and years after to finally make it really united.it will just happen over time.anyway its a long way away yet

Advertisement