Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filter Question

Options
  • 18-03-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    While routing around the attic i found my old aquarium, so i have decided to get it back up and running and have looked at the sticky for cycling the aquarium. Im just gonna have some cold water fish in it. The filter i have is still in working order but i just forget how it used to sit in the tank. Should the intake at the top of the filter be under the water? Or is this to pull in air. Its 10 years since ive had it running so the memories not great as to the position. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Have you a pic of it?

Everything is usually under the water, as it's pulling the water through the sponges, not intaking air.

the out pipe I usually point slightly up the way, so it agitates the water at the top, that aerates the tank a bit, also an air pump & airstone will oxygenate the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭TankGuy

Thanks for the help Silverfish. I have uploaded 2 pics. The first shows the filter which i have now placed under the water. The second shows a cd in front of the aquarium so you can work out the size. Would extra airation be needed in this size tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

hi tankguy .

thats an internal filter that is to remove fish poo from the tank.

you will also need an air pump to oxygenate the water

Thanks for the answers.
    Im gonna buy an aerator today.
    Ok so far i have the tank running with the filter 5 days, i have added some food as mentioned in the cycling sticky. The water has now started to go slightly cloudy, should i be worried about this? As mentioned before its a cold water tank just for some gold fish.

Is there something else i should be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

TankGuy wrote: »
    Would extra airation be needed in this size tank?

no, as long as the surface water is moving you will not need airation. Aim the filter outflow nozzle at the surface to create a current.

Moving water on the surface is much more effective at getting oxygen into the water than bubbles

• Advertisement

Hey Thanks Cookie Monster

Any idea on my cloudy water issue or is this to be expected when cycling?

Any idea on my cloudy water issue or is this to be expected when cycling?

I would not be too worried about it for now but keep an eye on it and if it does not clear within the 6 weeks or so of cycling then maybe add some treatment for it or finer filter pads.

Mine was very cloudy at first also but settled down by itself. A plant or two would also help with oxygenation as well as looking nice. With only one or two plants you will not need any CO2 either. I have7 plants in mine now and they are all flourishing. I add about 1ml of Easycarbo a day and this does the job.

Thanks for the answers.
    Im gonna buy an aerator today.
    Ok so far i have the tank running with the filter 5 days, i have added some food as mentioned in the cycling sticky. The water has now started to go slightly cloudy, should i be worried about this? As mentioned before its a cold water tank just for some gold fish.

Is there something else i should be doing?

Looks a bit too small for goldfish.

Perhaps a betta?

The cloudy water is normal during cycling, have you a test kit?

Is a 30L tank really too small for goldfish? If it is i will look at smaller fish for the tank.

I have not yet got a test kit, i must look into that next. Any recommendations for a good one for cold water tanks? is there a diference between cold and hot water kits?

Is a 30L tank really too small for goldfish? If it is i will look at smaller fish for the tank.

I have not yet got a test kit, i must look into that next. Any recommendations for a good one for cold water tanks? is there a diference between cold and hot water kits?

Yeah, afraid so. They can be kept in bowls or small tanks, but it's kinda like keeping a dog in a cage. They can live for 10 to 20 years and grow up to 12 inches long, but in a smaller tank they will stay smaller and usually die sooner, unless you get lucky with a very hardy fish.

A betta can suit smaller tanks, and they're a v nice looking fish. You'd need a heater though, can pick a small one up for cheap enough. Could keep cardinal tetras or rasboras either then.

Most people I know use the API freshwater master test kit, lasts for a very long time. There's no difference between tropical (warm water) and coldwater test kits, the only difference would be between marine and freshwater.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for the replies silverfish:)
    I have been looking up the net and there is so much conflicting opinions but im gonna err of the side of caution and give the goldfish a miss for the time being.

I have seen in a few places that White Cloud Mountain Minnows and barbs can live together in cold water tanks and because of the small size of both fish and their inability to grow much longer a small shoal of five WCMM and 2 barbs could be placed in a 30L tank happily.

What are your opinions and are barbs readily available in Ireland? I have seen WCMM in a shop, they are only 1cm and look great in a mini shoal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey,

I have 2 white cloud mountain minnows and 2 zebra danios in my tank and they get along fine. Hoping to move to a bigger tank soon and put them in groups of 6 as apparently they like to shoal together.

If your worried your tank is small, until you can get a bigger one, test the water and do regular partial water changes each week or two in the mean time.

Good luck!
    Al.

BigAl81 wrote: »

If your worried your tank is small, until you can get a bigger one, test the water and do regular partial water changes each week or two in the mean time.

this should be done weekly regardless of tank size tbh

Advertisement