Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thompsons water seal over paint?

• 18-03-2011 7:49pm
    Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hello Folks,

I have a wee issue.

my chimney is leaking an we have found the cause. The plasterwork is absorbing water into the chimney. It has a new cap also. I painted all the chimney with Thompsons water seal. The chimney was previously painted white apart from the cap. Is it ok to use this over the paint? The paint is old an I have scraped much of it away but there is another coat underneath.
    As we know the plasterwork is absorbing water, might not the waterseal also work on it? On the tin it says not reccommended over paint.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,

John

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭johneym

or is there somethingh better I could use?

anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rachel_Barmer

I am no expert by more hubby is a builder, I just asked him he said it should be fine.

I guess the best way forward would be to just test a bit on a certain area and then see what happens.

thanks Rachel,

a little feedback at last is nice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

Put some stabilizing solution on first or polybond ,are you sure the flashing is sound?

• Advertisement

thanks jj,

I think we have ruled out everything else at this stage. The house is 30 yrs old. The tiles around the chimney might have been a little high, as in lifted, so I put expanding foam under them but water was never coming in there.
    The block work in the attic a foot above ceiling height were always wet.Oozing black sooty water. No sign of water anywhere else.
    My parents house has a similar issue.

Do you have any name for stabilizing solution or polybond an where can I get it.

Thanks a lot,

John

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

johneym wrote: »
    thanks jj,

The tiles around the chimney might have been a little high, as in lifted, so I put expanding foam under them but water was never coming in there.

John

You did what??????:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Was just wondering that myself. and checking did I imagine it or something.....

Expanding foam under tiles??????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

johneym wrote: »
    thanks jj,

I think we have ruled out everything else at this stage. The house is 30 yrs old. The tiles around the chimney might have been a little high, as in lifted, so I put expanding foam under them but water was never coming in there.
    The block work in the attic a foot above ceiling height were always wet.Oozing black sooty water. No sign of water anywhere else.
    My parents house has a similar issue.

Do you have any name for stabilizing solution or polybond an where can I get it.

Thanks a lot,

John
    any builders providers or diy shop will have it .If the tiles are not sitting properly there could be a problem underneath, expanding foam is no good for roofing.

Advertisement