Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifoul paint

• 18-03-2011 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

As it is cod season now and the weather is getting a bit better i am going to leave my boat out in barna harbour,would it be wise to put anti foul paint on the hull as it probabally will be left there for around 6 mts

Remembering when the tide goes out in barna harbour there is no water there,so you can only go out half/full high tide

so basicaly the water is only hitting the hull half of the 6 mts

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Yep put some anti-foul on it, unless you want to scrub the boat every few weeks :D You will see most of the boats will have it even if they dry out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

okey dokes your the man fergal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 WaterRat

I bought a 6.3 m rib last year and I didn't want to ruin the nice shinny hull with antifoul paint, so I looked around and eventually found a product called SafeBoatSkin at the RibCentre in Cork. It was about 80 euro for a bottle (roughly pint size). I put four coats on the hull and bottom of the tubes from the same bottle (very light coating). I then left the boat on sea water for June, July and August. When I took the boat out, I just towed it to a nearby petrol station and powerhosed it down. It was fantastic, all the growth was gone in just one wash. There are other products similar to this in the USA, but they are banned in the EU for environmental reasons.

not good though even if it was would you be able to put it on fibreglass

• Registered Users Posts: 16 WaterRat

Yes, they claim that it "Treats all surfaces - Wood, Aluminium, Fibreglass, Hypalon, PVC ...everything... " However, my boat was tied up on a marina and it was always floating and not rubbing off mud/sand when the tide went in and out. Just wonder if that would rub the wax off the hull. Perhaps the RibCentre may be able to answer that. If it doesn't then antifouling is the way to go.

• Advertisement

rite antifoul paint it is,but others say that it is hard to take off

any input on this!!

Advertisement