Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Marooned75 wrote: »
    Some size of rat
    Are you sure they didn't shoot a Jersey bull:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

haven't uploaded a picture in ages....

065F072D_zps5e1b22ad.jpg

Bodacious wrote: »
    haven't uploaded a picture in ages....

065F072D_zps5e1b22ad.jpg

Would you keep her Just Do It? I promised myself I wouldn't keep any replacement heifer calves this year (ive 7 yearlings)but she is a lovely animal and quiet and has lovely white udder like her mother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Would you keep her Just Do It? I promised myself I wouldn't keep any replacement heifer calves this year (ive 7 yearlings)but she is a lovely animal and quiet and has lovely white udder like her mother

She's a purdy looking one alright :)

Shaved the small bull's head and he wasn't impressed with me, 10 months old today.. he done the teasing this year but I might let him loose next year.. need a break from AI

EC42A09B_zps104fd285.jpg

F6E2CF9E_zps22c9da09.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

By the look and sounds of her, it would be a shame not to breed from her ;).

Shaved the small bull's head and he wasn't impressed with me, 10 months old today.. he done the teasing this year but I might let him loose next year.. need a break from AI
    Not a bad idea. The AI is time consuming alright. Mixing it with a stock bull for a few years would be no bad thing.

Curious, why shave his head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

just do it wrote: »
    Mine is longer than yours ;):D

zdco.jpg

Used to drive one of them on a pontoon dragging myself up and down the Shannon. There's a great reach to them and some bounce at full stretch. :D

delaval wrote: »

I often shave the face and floppy auld hair in and around ears and top of head of weanlings for selling ... I think it adds to them!

Plus I've a new cordless so I like trimming

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

I often shave the face and floppy auld hair in and around ears and top of head of weanlings for selling ... I think it adds to them!

I leave everything on them. More weight:cool:

First it was Brazillian now it's all Hollywood:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

reilig wrote: »
    Used to drive one of them on a pontoon dragging myself up and down the Shannon. There's a great reach to them and some bounce at full stretch. :D

Reilig in action ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

He's a great man to wash a bucket:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Heninger?

Muckit wrote: »
    Heninger?

No, they a great job but very dear 380 for cordless Got a hunt master similar size weight, it can clip a horse and cordless for 185 stg and a spare battery , 3 blades so got a good deal to be fair and I'm happy with it!

delaval wrote: »

It makes them look younger looking. Nothing worse than seeing a well shaped bull with a big oul head on him! Seen a lad in Ballinasloe mart last back end, in the middle of the pen of his commercial weanlings .......with a curry comb!! Whatever brings in a few extra €€ I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

It makes them look younger looking. Nothing worse than seeing a well shaped bull with a big oul head on him! Seen a lad in Ballinasloe mart last back end, in the middle of the pen of his commercial weanlings .......with a curry comb!! Whatever brings in a few extra €€ I suppose

A neighbour here runs all sheep through a dip tub, leys them dry and then uses a knapsack to spray some sort of solution on their fleeces to whiten them before the mart. He always gets great prices, but then his sheep would be as big as asses.

We always wash and shampoo weinlings the night before the sale. Then do them in the pen with the curry comb. You'd be surprised how well it makes them stand out in the mart.

It's more like a scene from Bord Na Mona, but we got 800m of connacht agri pipes in yesterday.

Water is flowing in the trenches so I presume that when they are backfilled, the water will flow through the pipes.

Ground was sprayed off 10 days ago and baled up. Hoping to reseed it once the shores are in.

Backfilling has started this morning. Scraw will be put in on top of the pipes followed by the loose soil. Trenches dug with a mounding bucket and pipe is laid from 20 inches to 28 inches depending on the collector drain depth.

DSC_0003_zpsca3b1b29.jpg

DSC_0004_zps995a78b9.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsc335dbf2.jpg

DSC_0005_zpse2beb0f6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

It's more like a scene from Bord Na Mona, but we got 800m of connacht agri pipes in yesterday.

Water is flowing in the trenches so I presume that when they are backfilled, the water will flow through the pipes.

Ground was sprayed off 10 days ago and baled up. Hoping to reseed it once the shores are in.

Looking forward to seeing how it works for you reilig, keep us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

that's a dash 3 zaxis 130 , are you driving it yourself ?

that's a dash 3 zaxis 130 , are you driving it yourself ?

I did a bit of work myself on it last night, but it belongs to a contractor that I used to work for and he has a driver on it. It's the smoothest machine that I have ever driven. It has a rear camera too. He bought it new late last year and it has 1700 hours on it. The man that's on it has been driving them for over 30 years and he has it down to a fine art - not like me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Great job Reilig..
    It will be great to see how that drainage goes over time.. we have a few small fields of similar nature what I'd love to be in a position to drain..
    Isn't it great not to have to drag loads of stone in over that ground...

bbam wrote: »
    Isn't it great not to have to drag loads of stone in over that ground...

You just couldn't get access to that type of ground with stone. Contractor has a stoning cart on a track dumper and it would struggle! We saw land drained with these pipes before we bought them and it was just as wet as ours before draining and dried really well - they could cross it with the tractor in the wettest part of winter. He had put the drains every 10 to 12 meters. We have the drains in every 5 to 6 meters.

We talked about it for a long time - we could buy land @ 5000 per acre. But we have this land and €1000 per acre will drain it. We have other black ground beside it which is the best ground we have. It's dry all year around. It has early grass and is grazed into December. If we had enough of that type of ground, we'd be away with it. hopefully we will have a bit more after this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hi Reilg,
    Nice job - be interesting to see how it works out all right.

Is that the place where the ESB lads got stuck with a 6 wheeler ATV last year? I think you might have put up pictures at the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Reilig,
    Is this your first time using those Connaught Agri pipes? I remember you talked about using them before.

Hi Reilg,
    Nice job - be interesting to see how it works out all right.

Is that the place where the ESB lads got stuck with a 6 wheeler ATV last year? I think you might have put up pictures at the time?

Yes, that's the spot!

pakalasa wrote: »
    Reilig,
    Is this your first time using those Connaught Agri pipes? I remember you talked about using them before.

Yes, they've been in the shed for nearly 2 years. It's only in the last few weeks that it has been dry enough to lay them!

• Advertisement

We always wash and shampoo weinlings the night before the sale. Then do them in the pen with the curry comb. You'd be surprised how well it makes them stand out in the mart.

I bet it was you ya fecker!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

We talked about it for a long time - we could buy land @ 5000 per acre. But we have this land and €1000 per acre will drain it. We have other black ground beside it which is the best ground we have. It's dry all year around. It has early grass and is grazed into December. If we had enough of that type of ground, we'd be away with it. hopefully we will have a bit more after this!

Great to see photos of the draining. I have something similar planned for later this year and my contractor advised using the mounding bucket too. I'm considering opening the drain in September, leaving it open all winter and then putting in the pipes and covering in spring. Might have to clean the drain up a bit first but hope to get the benefit of having them open for the winter.

Can you give some details of the field layout, is their much of a fall? did you go with all straight runs or herring bone layout?

I like your comparison of the drain versus buy prices, well worth considering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Backfilling has started this morning. Scraw will be put in on top of the pipes followed by the loose soil. Trenches dug with a mounding bucket and pipe is laid from 20 inches to 28 inches depending on the collector drain depth.

I did some a while back, it will take couple of months to really work. The ground above the drain will sink because it dries so much. Will be doing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Dr. Sh1te

DSC_0004_zps995a78b9.jpg

reilig,

How are the Connaught agri pipes jointed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

Yes, they've been in the shed for nearly 2 years. It's only in the last few weeks that it has been dry enough to lay them!

Would you be up for a visit in 2 months time to see how it works out-

I've 20 acre of a rented 60 acre farm that is crying out to be done

It's fabulous ground if it was drained and I don't mind putting in a few bob if I can get a return
    Long term lease

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Wouldn't mind a look me self have a bit i could do, could have a discussion group, :D

Let's all head up for a nose :D

OK well it looks like we'I have a car load from Galway and one coming from Meath! :pac: Stick the kettle on for the tae Reilig!

Don't forget the Banner men ;)

(and for some strange reason rellig was never seen on boards again :))

OK well it looks like we'I have a car load from Galway and one coming from Meath! :pac: Stick the kettle on for the tae Reilig!

And some daycent ham for the sammichs.

• Advertisement

Don't forget the Banner men ;)

Get up this far JDI/vander and we'I squeeze ye in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

And I'll walk up the road ;)

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    And I'll walk up the road ;)

Erra we'I stick ya on the roof, save the legs!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Erra we'I stick ya on the roof, save the legs!:D

Better not wear a skirt that day then:D

Get up this far JDI/vander and we'I squeeze ye in!!

Don't forget redzer ;):D

Don't forget redzer ;):D

And paka......

And there's a few more on here as well....

On second thoughts, make yer own way, there's too feckin' many of ye!! :D See ye there ;)

So, now that's all organised, who's telling Reilig? :confused:

Half length welles. I've them a week now and they're a great job.

8s1r.jpg

Half length welles. I've them a week now and they're a great job.

I turn down full length ones :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement