Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

I turn down full length ones :p
    Telescopic:confused:

Muckit wrote: »
    Get up this far JDI/vander and we'I squeeze ye in!!
    Wht about little old me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Just in from dropping pipes.

What did I miss?

Did I mention that I'm going on holidays tomorrow for a long time :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

just do it wrote: »
    Half length welles. I've them a week now and they're a great job

Shores are working well, when you can shorten the wellies:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

reilig wrote: »

What did I miss?

Ara sure we'll be waiting for you at the airport when you get back. Them pipes will need a good dash of rain to work properly anyhow ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Half length welles. I've them a week now and they're a great job.

8s1r.jpg

Do they say muckit on them..... did you steal them from muckit......ah now fess up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

What did I miss?

Just leave the keys, kovu knows where you live, we will help ourselves,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

delaval wrote: »
    Wht about little old me?
    The offer is still there to switch farms and then you can be a Banner Man,

.......and then you'll also know about proper hard weather and impossible grazing conditions;):D

Do they say muckit on them..... did you steal them from muckit......ah now fess up
    Yeah, while he was mascarading as someone else up in Roscommon;)

• Advertisement

What did I miss?

Kovu, have you the loan of a a trailer? I've to pick up a few pipes off a lad up your direction.... :D

Telescopic:confused:

I often wished they were, usually when my foot disappears into a boghole and I wished I had waders :o

The offer is still there to switch farms and then you can be a Banner Man,

.......and then you'll also know about proper hard weather and impossible grazing conditions;):D

And never be short of water ever, ever again :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

hugo29 wrote: »
    Just leave the keys, kovu knows where you live, we will help ourselves,

Now the big question, is it Barrys or Lyons teabags that he has:P

Kovu, have you the loan of a a trailer? I've to pick up a few pipes off a lad up your direction.... :D

You can borrow my van and look like a tinker on the way back:rolleyes:

And never be short of water ever, ever again :pac:

Look CM to be clear water ain't the issue lack if rain and grass

Look CM to be clear water ain't the issue lack if rain and grass
    You've surely got a decent drop of rain over the last while. My land is getting wet again, utilisation is going to drop through the floor:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You've surely got a decent drop of rain over the last while. My land is getting wet again, utilisation is going to drop through the floor:rolleyes:
    Today was the first good days rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Muckit wrote: »
    OK well it looks like we'I have a car load from Galway and one coming from Meath! :pac: Stick the kettle on for the tae Reilig!

you'll be passing my way stan. any chance of a lift?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

great weather for tomorrow
    thats rain not heat

uasAcO6.jpg

Today was the first good days rain
    The difference is amazing really, given the little size of the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

There needs to be an organised roundup of all those fellas, who were looking for rain all along:o
    Saw a bird land in a paddock this morning. He was flapping for five minutes before a got to take off again, with the way he had sunk in on landing:eek:

• Advertisement

There needs to be an organised roundup of all those fellas, who were looking for rain all along:o

Up against a wall in the middle of a field, one shot, "Bang Bang" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Saw a bird land in a paddock this morning. He was flapping for five minutes before a got to take off again, with the way he had sunk in on landing:eek:

That field sounds like a grand spot for planting a few tress Dampintheattic ;)

:P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I think I have myself better equipped than you for this weather jd, no place for half length wellies around here :p

photo_zps8d90895c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zakdzo09E3s

Feckin rain....Sminky shorts camel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I think I have myself better equipped than you for this weather jd, no place for half length wellies around here :p

photo_zps8d90895c.jpg

Very fancy Kayak trailer there Redser. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

You just couldn't get access to that type of ground with stone. Contractor has a stoning cart on a track dumper and it would struggle! We saw land drained with these pipes before we bought them and it was just as wet as ours before draining and dried really well - they could cross it with the tractor in the wettest part of winter. He had put the drains every 10 to 12 meters. We have the drains in every 5 to 6 meters.

We talked about it for a long time - we could buy land @ 5000 per acre. But we have this land and €1000 per acre will drain it. We have other black ground beside it which is the best ground we have. It's dry all year around. It has early grass and is grazed into December. If we had enough of that type of ground, we'd be away with it. hopefully we will have a bit more after this!

What do you reckon ground like that is worth (undrained)? A lot of variables - so ill give you mine...There is about 5 acres like this up the road from our home place (2k off main rd on single car road on westmeath/offaly border). Its surrounded by my uncles farm on three sides and the bog bank and raised bog on the other side. There is no fencing, no water, no power. Its 800m up a bog road (dead end). I think our elderly neighbour has a right of way through it but its no use any more because cant cut turf on the bank.
    It was offered to my uncle years ago for €8k pa! he has no interest in it now at all, its fairly well raised so draining it would not be a problem and if done right it would be of benefit to by uncles place as would be some shared drains.
    I was considering offering about €2k pa and like you spending €1pa would have it right?
    The owner is not a farmer, was left this and a few other bits elsewhere 15+ years ago.
    Thanks for your opinions...

What do you reckon ground like that is worth (undrained)? A lot of variables - so ill give you mine...There is about 5 acres like this up the road from our home place (2k off main rd on single car road on westmeath/offaly border). Its surrounded by my uncles farm on three sides and the bog bank and raised bog on the other side. There is no fencing, no water, no power. Its 800m up a bog road (dead end). I think our elderly neighbour has a right of way through it but its no use any more because cant cut turf on the bank.
    It was offered to my uncle years ago for €8k pa! he has no interest in it now at all, its fairly well raised so draining it would not be a problem and if done right it would be of benefit to by uncles place as would be some shared drains.
    I was considering offering about €2k pa and like you spending €1pa would have it right?
    The owner is not a farmer, was left this and a few other bits elsewhere 15+ years ago.
    Thanks for your opinions...

I honestly cannot answer that for you. The 7 or 8 acres that we are draining is bog that we reclaimed in 1986. We stone shored it and it worked well for about 10 years. Then it gradually got wetter until the last 3 or 4 years when we couldn't cross it with a tractor and could only graze it with weinlings.

Now don't get me wrong, the land wasn't or isn't worthless, in fact it is one of the best grass growing pieces of ground that we own. Last summer, in the knowledge that it didn't matter if we poached it or not, we fed 8 replacement heifers on it from April to October - and they were well fed. However, it was so wet that we couldn't walk through it to look at them. They lay on the drier banks and made their way across the wetter pieces to graze. One thing we didn't have to worry about for them was water.

What's it worth to us? I don't know. There is no way in the world that we could buy 8 acres of land adjoining our yards - so that makes it worth double the value of 8 acres 5 miles away IYKWIM?

It'll never win a prize for the best land in Ireland. However, if we could get it dry enough that we could reseed it and be in a position to take 1 or 2 cuts of silage off it on a yearly basis and let weinlings graze any aftergrass, we'll be happy.

If you get 10 years out of the new drainage job it will have been worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

That was kinda my thinking in that's its worth more too me or my uncle than anyone else for miles around, it would make no sense for anyone else to buy it, its wet but there would have been no time in the last few years that the tractor would have got stuck in it, would have made a mess but would have got out...
    I grazed two ID Geldings in it last winter...they broke into it ;) and couldn't get back for a few months...(and its looking far better now for it) they got on fine, one large dry hill on the way into it of about half an acre that I fed them a bit on..
    If I got it for €2k pa and spent €1k getting it decent I cant see how it would not be a good buy.. ill chat him in the coming weeks, I know his financial position would not be great at the moment so he may be open to an offer.

MM80

Normally I've say only buy good land but this particular scenario is different. You bounds it and it is cheap. €1k for a 10yr drainage job is €100 pa.

If you already have a good bit of dry land having some wet land like this provides a balance for dry years like this. I bet it still grew grass when elsewhere had stopped growing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

photo_zps8d90895c.jpg

Lovely job. How much are they?

would love one of them kayaks, can't swim though! be good for a bit of fishing around the bay.

would love one of them kayaks, can't swim though! be good for a bit of fishing around the bay.

Neither can I but I still love it when I get the chance. Teaching yourself to get the skirt off when you roll over is a bit tricky when you don't want to roll it over to practice first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

get a good life jacket, their the business,
    you'll float and just need to waddle :D

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Neither can I but I still love it when I get the chance. Teaching yourself to get the skirt off when you roll over is a bit tricky when you don't want to roll it over to practice first!

ah skirts were only a problem when I was young :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Teaching yourself to get the skirt off when you roll over is a bit tricky when you don't want to roll it over to practice first!

your luck your not a fellow, tis bra's that are a bastard for us:rolleyes:

GY A1 wrote: »
    get a good life jacket, their the business,
    you'll float and just need to waddle :D

I'll float off to America lol

[/URL]

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/6uk5.jpg/

This is my one, couldn't find one without me in it so sorry! What make is yours?

This one is currently in Dublin so thinking about getting a shorter one for the lake here.

I'd say if you were in Galway tonight you would have no bother finding someone to show you;);););)

• Advertisement

I'd say if you were in Galway tonight you would have no bother finding someone to show you;);););)

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

up, not off, is handier.

up, not off, is handier.

I was on about the wetsuit thingy that stops water getting into the kayak!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

up, not off, is handier.
    up,in is better:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

little MBP heifer born today, only my 3rd or 4th limo, trying to get a bit more into them, she is only a handy little thing
    lc3b.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    08zk.jpg

i3u8.jpg

little MBP heifer born today, only my 3rd or 4th limo, trying to get a bit more into them, she is only a handy little thing

Vander she'll be a lovely heifer judging by her tail end. I love a heifer with her tail set low & back like that.
    Have 2 cows here very similar to that one and they breed consistent every year, have a very good ERE bull off one of them this year, same white tail on the cow too! Best of luck with her:)

• Advertisement

Lovely job. How much are they?

850 new i think I gave for it.

;)

photo_zps645bf2d4.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/6uk5.jpg/

This is my one, couldn't find one without me in it so sorry! What make is yours?

This one is currently in Dublin so thinking about getting a shorter one for the lake here.
    Its an Ocean Kayak trident 13. Sit on top so no need for me to wear a skirt :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Sit on top so no need for me to wear a skirt :

Its an Ocean Kayak trident 13. Sit on top so no need for me to wear a skirt :p

It's a super Kayak. Very stable. I was out yesterday on the coast, it was rough, but good fun. It's not simple to get back onto the sit-on-tops on a rough sea, even in 5' of water.

hugo29 wrote: »
    Sit on top so no need for me to wear a skirt :

We need to give the "skirt" it's correct title and avoid all the mental images of Redser in a mini skirt.
    I suppose calling it a spray deck ain't as much fun though :-)

Bizzum wrote: »
    It's a super Kayak. Very stable. I was out yesterday on the coast, it was rough, but good fun. It's not simple to get back onto the sit-on-tops on a rough sea, even in 5' of water.

I havent got tipped yet anyway. Did plenty of practice getting back on it before I headed out to sea in it. A fellow in Donegal hooked a porbeagle shark in one a few weeks ago and it pulled him 1.2 miles with the anchor down. Thats as good a test of stability as you could get id say!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement