Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Bizzum wrote: »
    I suppose calling it a spray deck ain't as much fun though :-)

Ah stop, wait till Bob get's a hold of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I havent got tipped yet anyway. Did plenty of practice getting back on it before I headed out to sea in it. A fellow in Donegal hooked a porbeagle shark in one a few weeks ago and it pulled him 1.2 miles with the anchor down. Thats as good a test of stability as you could get id say!!

Great footage I saw online of a Basking shark, feeding along side a lad on a kayak.
    I was off it as much as I was on it yesterday! Great crack on a good fast river in a kayak, we would arrange to get dropped off and picked up further downstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

A few more shoring pics.

Here's an idea of how wet the ground is. It was quite dry when we started, but we got a lot of very heavy rain over the last 3 days which turns the sprayed off ground to slurry with one pass of the digger.

DSC_0011_zps968c783a.jpg

DSC_0010_zpsaf5cb096.jpg

They're constantly flowing

DSC_0009_zpsc33d358f.jpg

Used old silage wrap plastic centres to finish the ends of some of them. Good recycling!

DSC_0008_zpsaf17e292.jpg

Finished and ready for seeding - if it dries out :eek:

DSC_0007_zps677ba7e7.jpg

DSC_0012_zps6d17ee59.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

These ferns are getting plentiful top or spray?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Marooned75 wrote: »
    im no expert on it but im going with spraying tomorrow and then mowing when they are dead.

Spray with what would be my question. If you have no Asulox then Glyphosate will work at the right stage of plant growth, but do you also want to kill everything else the spray hits.

Option 3, use a weedlicker with Glypho, kill bracken, save grass.

The trick is giving time for the chemical to get below ground into the roots, just killing the topside won't get rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Neighbours corn (don't ask me what is cos haven't a clue!! I think it looks good though.... what ye tillage lads think?
    53o6.gif

And..... ya can't beat a good '99 eh lads?! :pac: yam yam
    7tu.gif

Muckit, can you reduce the file size of your photos?, maybe it's my internet but they seem to be taking an age to load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Muckit wrote: »

And..... ya can't beat a good '99 eh lads?! :pac: yam yam

HUGE PHOTOS:eek::eek::eek:

And clean yer windows:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

crop of wheat is it, maybe my eyes are fading. looks a little thin from pic but couldnt tell from the road. if its a spring crop every fellow says 3ton, winter everyone is 4+tons no matter where in the country you are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Muckit, who drives you around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Getting driven around ateing 99's by some boy in a pajero taking pictures and talking about the state of my corn- jaysus that muckits some boyo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

little MBP heifer born today, only my 3rd or 4th limo, trying to get a bit more into them, she is only a handy little thing"

Lovely cow and calf. She might only b handy little thing now but she should grow well. I had a few mbp calves last year and have a few again this year and I'm very happy with him. Ill try and get a few pics up over the weekend maybe. The only thing is mbp hasn't got great figures for milk. Id b interested in seeing how his daughter perform

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Nice heifer calf from Hex heifer and AI Spec Park...
    Not mine and I thought I would not be so impressed by what came off this cross but she is very nice, might bit flighty but I am not used to sucklers so maybe thats the norm...

2013-08-02 17.55.24.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Tamworths 2 days old.
    Hardy little bucks already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I think you only have to look at how that ESB pole is anchored, to appreciate how wet it is.
    reilig wrote: »

DSC_0012_zps6d17ee59.jpg

pakalasa wrote: »
    I think you only have to look at how that ESB pole is anchored, to appreciate how wet it is.

We laid them at 25 to 30 inches - there we met gravel and marl. The pipe is laid just on top of the gravel and marl which is dry as a bone and impermiable. Digger driver has seen a lot of draiinage over the years and is very convinced that this will work. I still have doubts, but there's more water flowing from the pipes today than any day - and we had no rain today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

little MBP heifer born today, only my 3rd or 4th limo, trying to get a bit more into them, she is only a handy little thing"

Lovely cow and calf. She might only b handy little thing now but she should grow well. I had a few mbp calves last year and have a few again this year and I'm very happy with him. Ill try and get a few pics up over the weekend maybe. The only thing is mbp hasn't got great figures for milk. Id b interested in seeing how his daughter perform

was looking at my records and that calf was actually vermeil not mbp, have another mbp heifer though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Tamworths 2 days old.
    husbands cousin has the tamworths too, he butchers them and sells the meat at farmers markets etc

• Advertisement

hugo29 wrote: »
    Muckit, who drives you around

I have a chauffeur that I hire in especially for the cone season! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Muckit wrote: »
    I have a chauffeur that I hire in especially for the cone season! :pac:

Some spotty young fellow that gets a cone for his troubles and also gets associated with the legendary muckit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Tamworths 2 days old.

I am coming to visit you and I may be leaving with a bonham shaped tummy.:p

Some stuff had set aside for second cut, but decided to strip graze it to help build up cover on rest of grazing.

xjgb.jpg

7j7u.jpg

And yes I put up reels to back fence straight after these photos were taken! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭valtra2

Hi

Pic 1 MBP bull calf born 18 April

Pic 2 MBP bull calf born 5 June

Pic 3 MBP heifer calf born end of may. The grey heifer in the pic is also by MBP and born at the end of April 2012 I think

• Advertisement

Some heifers to calve down next year at 24 to 26 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Nice heifers. What breeding is in them?

the creep feeder back out with a few new addations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Tis a hoor put ear tags on him lol

pakalasa wrote: »
    Nice heifers. What breeding is in them?

They are supposed to be purebred non reg sim from a milking sim herd in Germany. Bought them at 8 weeks old and reared them on a bucket. Bought a few more this year and will have them for bulling next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

valtra2 wrote: »

Fair dos to ya Valtra was wondering what the waste pipe was for first till I looked closer ..clever .. I take it your letting the calves graze ahead with the side door

Fair dos to ya Valtra was wondering what the waste pipe was for first till I looked closer ..clever .. I take it your letting the calves graze ahead with the side door

Tis a hoor put ear tags on him lol

A prick of a job :-)

They are supposed to be purebred non reg sim from a milking sim herd in Germany. Bought them at 8 weeks old and reared them on a bucket. Bought a few more this year and will have them for bulling next year.

Some very nice stock there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Good thinking Valtra , a lovely job

just figuring out how to up load pic so bear with me, here is the new bull running with young herd, this was back 3 monts ago, woking well scanned last week and he has 75% of the cows in calf in first 8 weeks,

ya calfs creeping ahead, just started hoping to wean some mid sept without all the noise :D

Some very nice stock there

Thanks. I'm only really starting in suckers in my own right. This year being my second year with calves. Trying to build a herd of quality cows over a number of years. Start as you mean to go on so to speak. I'm hoping the sims will bring size milk and docility for a number of generations. Figuring it'll be easier to breed muscle into the cows later than milk if needs be

Just messin with the phone trying to post a pic if this works it should a pic of the bull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

Like you Reilig we put in a few hundred metres of these pipes last year
    Like yours they ran and ran for weeks on end and consequently the ground dried significantly esp where ther was a good fall into the main drain
    However I noticed this year that the ends of them seemed to be silting up with rust coloured iron oxide type material .We got a length of wavin and shoved it up and they started running again.I specifically asked Connacht Agri if this would happen at the outset and they said no that oxidation occured as a consequence of air getting down to the bottom of the shore through the conventional stones. When I went back into the store and discussed my findings they accepted that they would silt up at the ends and that I would have to water jet annually. Have to say I am less than confident about their long term success. I intend to take the spade and dig down some day and see how far the silting has stretched. Has anyone else a similar experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

With all drains regular rodding is worthwhile and not with piping, get a cork screw attachment for sweeping rods.

Side exit. ...posh!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

1chippy wrote: »
    Just messin with the phone trying to post a pic if this works it should a pic of the bull

Hes a fine beast. You were right, hes like the lad i got, big front on him and a big behind and strong bone for a lim. Hows he breeding?

photo_zps7a427d96.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Hes a fine beast. You were right, hes like the lad i got, big front on him and a big behind and strong bone for a lim. Hows he breeding?

photo_zps7a427d96.jpg

she has the tail out:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Like you Reilig we put in a few hundred metres of these pipes last year
    Like yours they ran and ran for weeks on end and consequently the ground dried significantly esp where ther was a good fall into the main drain
    However I noticed this year that the ends of them seemed to be silting up with rust coloured iron oxide type material .We got a length of wavin and shoved it up and they started running again.I specifically asked Connacht Agri if this would happen at the outset and they said no that oxidation occured as a consequence of air getting down to the bottom of the shore through the conventional stones. When I went back into the store and discussed my findings they accepted that they would silt up at the ends and that I would have to water jet annually. Have to say I am less than confident about their long term success. I intend to take the spade and dig down some day and see how far the silting has stretched. Has anyone else a similar experience.

Yes, I put down a small amount of these a few months ago. One drain was completely blocked at the exit when I checked it a few weeks ago. (Red iron like deposit- even though its in bog ground) If this acculumation starts to travel back from the exit, they will be useless in a short time. I'm waiting to see what happens over the coming months.

Milton09 wrote: »
    Yes, I put down a small amount of these a few months ago. One drain was completely blocked at the exit when I checked it a few weeks ago. (Red iron like deposit- even though its in bog ground) If this acculumation starts to travel back from the exit, they will be useless in a short time. I'm waiting to see what happens over the coming months.

I think this red deposit is localised to specific areas?

The connacht agri pipes that we saw laid before we bought ours had been laid for almost 3 years and they were flowing perfectly with no red deposit on them. I've seen this red deposit on ordinary stone drains - but it doesn't happen in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

Tamworths 2 days old.

Is she rooting much for the bracken. I hear they love the roots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭stanflt

co meath

8l8l.jpg
    7dhj.jpg
    4agz.jpg
    ajvn.jpg
    2s6x.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

reilig wrote: »
    I think this red deposit is localised to specific areas?

The connacht agri pipes that we saw laid before we bought ours had been laid for almost 3 years and they were flowing perfectly with no red deposit on them. I've seen this red deposit on ordinary stone drains - but it doesn't happen in this area.

West Cork red deposit was a good give away when walking along a drain or stream for old stone drains that covered up

• Advertisement

Smaller red one to the front of the first one and the backend you see in the second one . He's breeding stylish enough from average cows there's a couple of better ones but a lot of mine would be a bit camera shy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement