Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Last one...... Grass measuring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

whelan1 wrote: »

Grasstec?

td5man wrote: »
    Grasstec?
    what is grasstec , i am a bit thick:confused:

what is grasstec , i am a bit thick:confused:

Google it ;-)

i did it came up with 2 different ones, one is a kids one...... i use agrinet btw

i did it came up with 2 different ones, one is a kids one...... i use agrinet btw

So do I btw....

we always weigh and measure 1 paddock just to see if we are accurate in our guesswork

lupins

Last years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

we always weigh and measure 1 paddock just to see if we are accurate in our guesswork
    Was going to ask;)

• Advertisement

Last years
    yup they would be alot better:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

Timmaay wrote: »
    2500! Insane! I'm actually throwing out individual pins here now, the wooden ones we have now are shook, and I'm moving most of the calves to a much taller open shed, will go with pens about 5ft wide (using pallets as sides), and 12ft wide, with just a 12ft gate. Will hold about 4calves each, and very easy to dismantle and clean out with the tractor hopefully.

must be something about the calves here but i think they get a very good start in them, keep them in them for about 10 days and give 3-4l colostrum a day and they're flying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

or so

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

delaval wrote: »
    Did or do any of you have the old type chain 'auto' scrapers, I swear every Sunday a chain would break!!!

Yep have them ere chain always comes off when about to go somewhere. Spend an hour then unravelling from motor and resetting it

stanflt wrote: »

or so
    would you believe 1800, was surprised myself, pays to weigh once in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

2 weeks after mole ploughing. Definitely a great job. Fields are drier and grass growth better.

DSC_0021_zps5982eb90.jpg

Pedigree bull off Ampertaine Commander born in march

DSC_0020_zps15ce977d.jpg

February pedigree bull of Ampertaine Commander

DSC_0019_zps01b9ad9a.jpg

January born weinling off stock bull - will be weined this week and sold early september.

DSC_0018_zps3e86588f.jpg

May pedigree heifer calf off Fieldsons Alfy

DSC_0016_zpsdfb51c93.jpg

April BB Bull off SFL and black LM cow

DSC_0015_zpsde72a07d.jpg

Very omnious sky last night after the rain - thankfully it stopped!

DSC_0014_zps5a33a15e.jpg

Never had weinlings do so well - they wouldn't have eaten an average of €10 of meal each yet. It helps that they have loads of grass in front of them. At this stage I have at least a month of grass ahead of them. Haven't been in such a good position in a good many years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

How deep did you set mole plough,will you reseed that in future or has it been reseeded in the past?Nice stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Marooned75 wrote: »
    How deep did you set mole plough,will you reseed that in future or has it been reseeded in the past?Nice stock.

Only 3 inches of soil in our place so 14 inches deep for the mole plough is quite adequate! That ground is on the list for a future reseed.

must take a pic of the lad stone moleing before he finishes up, hell of a job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

must take a pic of the lad stone moleing before he finishes up, hell of a job

Please do! Love to see pics of it, thanks. Did you get a smart phone as well lately? No excuse for ya now ;)

Muckit wrote: »
    Please do! Love to see pics of it, thanks. Did you get a smart phone as well lately? No excuse for ya now ;)
    got it a year ago:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

got it a year ago:o

You should post a few more pics. You seem to be running a tidy ship there fair play to you. Not into milking, so the black and whites don't float my boat, but loved the pics of the lorries, grass and crops, show it off - why not!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

!cid_cidImage_P__7F51.jpgthe bastered hurt his leg yesterday and was going to sell him sat, cbq out of a pied,!cid_cidImage_P__FDF0.jpgthis big lady came yesterday a bzb heifer out of a blue,some pull:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

leg wax wrote: »
    !cid_cidImage_P__7F51.jpgthe bastered hurt his leg yesterday and was going to sell him sat, cbq out of a pied,

what weight is the first fellow, mustn't be far off 400kilos, whats a boy like him worth down your neck of the woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

He is some weanlin legs , the cow looks very motherly too . Did you pull the calf yourself or was is a vet job ?

what weight is the first fellow, mustn't be far off 400kilos, whats a boy like him worth down your neck of the woods.
    I reckon he could even be 420

moy83 wrote: »
    I reckon he could even be 420

I think your right looking at him again. He is like the big lad that used to be play under 12's with most parishes but was probably 15. A big bastards under 12 shaving was taking the biscuit

I think your right looking at him again. He is like the big lad that used to be play under 12's with most parishes but was probably 15. A big bastards under 12 shaving was taking the biscuit
    I got plenty of them boys flattening me when I used to play , I was the opposite only 4' (still am) nothing but was nippy enough . The big hairy lads would just lamp me out of the way

lupins

What are Lupins?

they end up like beans/peas

they end up like beans/peas

You are growing Lupins, Triticale. Are they for the combine or silage.
    Sounds complicated

• Advertisement

delaval wrote: »
    You are growing Lupins, Triticale. Are they for the combine or silage.
    Sounds complicated

http://www.soya-uk.com/index.php
    triticale & white lupins for wholecrop

will go in the pit in a week or two, sown 1st may, maize wont grow here so doing something different

http://www.soya-uk.com/index.php
    triticale & white lupins for wholecrop

Grew yellow lupins and spring wheat here last year, the lupins cropped well reasonable protein but the wheat looked good but was lacking energy .

White lupins and triticale this year, not overly happy with the lupins .

Using it as a break crop biggest problem i see with it is weed control as you cant spray for weeds as the lupins are easily killed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

Grew yellow lupins and spring wheat here last year, the lupins cropped well reasonable protein but the wheat looked good but was lacking energy .

White lupins and triticale this year, not overly happy with the lupins .

Using it as a break crop biggest problem i see with it is weed control as you cant spray for weeds as the lupins are easily killed .

cant beat maize year on year
    8u50.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

8u50.jpg

maize didn't do well round here last year, lot of lads that always grow it not growing it this year.

8u50.jpg

how many cobs have you on each plant? Nearly every plant I have has 3 cobs which is a bloody disaster in my eyes probably down to plant stress in May. im going off maize fast especially with dried maize coming under 200

I fail to see why people try and grow protein crops in Ireland, its just no possible

how many cobs have you on each plant? Nearly every plant I have has 3 cobs which is a bloody disaster in my eyes probably down to plant stress in May. im going off maize fast especially with dried maize coming under 200

I fail to see why people try and grow protein crops in Ireland, its just no possible

We grow loads of it here, it's called grass

Our dairy adviser reckons top quality grass is the only crop a dairy farmer should be growing.

Our dairy adviser reckons top quality grass is the only crop a dairy farmer should be growing.

Monoculture and do it right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

hes not as big as you think i am puting him down at 380kgs at 1200yoyos:p will let you know.
    moy83 wrote: »
    He is some weanlin legs , the cow looks very motherly too . Did you pull the calf yourself or was is a vet job ?
    vet charges me to use the jack,head and shoulders came easy then came the problem,moved rope up over the front knees and :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.and phew:rolleyes:

Taken a few weeks ago. Aim to build a house in this field as there are brilliant views

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

leg wax wrote: »
    hes not as big as you think i am puting him down at 380kgs at 1200yoyos:p will let you know.
    Legs, what's the longterm plan with the Parthanaise?
    Are you going to cross a BB bull on Parthanaise cows, or will you go all Parthanaise?

Drains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Drains

You're on Agrinet whelan? What's the best smartphone for working with Agrinet?

Cull angus cow. She would kill you a few months ago

• Advertisement

Another drain

I use an iPhone. All daily cow events such as treatments etc can be loaded on the go. Upload to their server twice a week
    If you call them Gavin will advise you on what to buy

have a samsung galaxy x cover GT S5690 and tbh there have been many times i wanted to fook it as far away as possible, due for an upgrade soon, theres a great torch on it , great for checking cows during the winter etc edited to say i drove over it with the digger and its still grand, its kind of a builders phone

Last one. 30 acre field aftergrass for grazing this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

great pics whealan but your pics are all up side down or side ways

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement