Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Your wasted as a farmer jd.
    Should have been a barber :D

I'm not sure how lads would react to having their head in the head gate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

2 2 year old Lim x sim breeding heifers. Were out of 2 old cows which calved late and thats why they arent calving as 2 year olds.

photo_zps0a9a6a1c.jpg

cf61 heifer on the left and parati heifer on the right. Belong to the girlfriends father. Cf61 heifer is a smasher, I asked him a few times if he'd sell her but he isint having any of it :rolleyes:

photo_zpsd0f65162.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

pakalasa wrote: »
    :D
    Any holidays planned?:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

just do it wrote: »
    Someone was on about clipping weanling's head hair a while back. This fella looked a bit like jedward so while he was in this morning I did a little trimming

wqyo.jpg

ktls.jpg
    You clearly weren't busy today;);)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Yearling bulls having part of their '5 a day'

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

blue5000 wrote: »
    you seem tight on grass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

pakalasa wrote: »
    CVV is gone now, isn't he. I used him for the first time last year. Got a super weanling bull by him. Sorry I didn't use him more in the past.

I am pretty disappointed in the calf to be honest. hes squaring up a bit but i dont think he will be anything special.

Also has ayone used the new Limousin bulls in NCBC, TVR, EFZ or GWO. Would liek to see pics of any calves.
    Anything limo here will be sticking with the stock bull, hes throwing better calves than a lot of the ai ones i tried. Ai i will be putting on more blues and parts and i might try a few shorthorn or blondes on the heifers.

Handy system you've going there. There's a blue barrel knocking around the place here that has just been earmarked for a new job :D.

What's the plan with the yearlings blue?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

leg wax wrote: »
    you seem tight on grass?

No, where they are is bare ok, but I move them to a fresh block about every day or two. I set up the fence for the next block while they eat the meal. They were moved to a new block just after they finished the meal.
    Handy system you've going there. There's a blue barrel knocking around the place here that has just been earmarked for a new job :D.

What's the plan with the yearlings blue?

Going on the hook, starting in about 4wks, in a bit of a catch 22, some of them will be over 16mths, and are not fat enough now to get the QA on the grid bonus.....

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

delaval wrote: »
    You clearly weren't busy today;);)
    It's funny he's by HCA out of a heifer and he's developed a nice bit of shape and plenty muscle. However the picture doesn't do the mop of hair on his head justice. It has been annoying me for the last few weeks as it really catches the eye and distracts the eye from the fact he's a decent weanling bull. And then I saw the suggestion to trim head hair....

Sure look it it didn't cost me anything and probably won't make any difference to his price, but at least now it won't be a distraction for any would be buyer.

Redzer

Nice looking heifers alright. Alot to be said for knowing the source and breeding, you don't get that at the mart. Out of interest, what value would you put on them?

No, where they are is bare ok, but I move them to a fresh block about every day or two. I set up the fence for the next block while they eat the meal. They were moved to a new block just after they finished the meal.

Going on the hook, starting in about 4wks, in a bit of a catch 22, some of them will be over 16mths, and are not fat enough now to get the QA on the grid bonus.....
    Fair duece finishing them off grass. I see you were listening that night in Ennis trying to get them off before their 16m. Is there a premium/penalty in place if their under/over 16m?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

2 2 year old Lim x sim breeding heifers. Were out of 2 old cows which calved late and thats why they arent calving as 2 year olds.

photo_zps0a9a6a1c.jpg

cf61 heifer on the left and parati heifer on the right. Belong to the girlfriends father. Cf61 heifer is a smasher, I asked him a few times if he'd sell her but he isint having any of it :rolleyes:

photo_zpsd0f65162.jpg

CF61 bred some great stuff round here commercials and he was brought in as a char with milk in his pedigree.. would really love a PB char heifer out of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Bodacious wrote: »
    CF61 bred some great stuff round here commercials and he was brought in as a char with milk in his pedigree.. would really love a PB char heifer out of him

Are his straws still available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Someone was on about clipping weanling's head hair a while back. This fella looked a bit like jedward so while he was in this morning I did a little trimming

wqyo.jpg

ktls.jpg

It was me that clips the faces... think I gave my fella a bit of an army crew cut
    EC42A09B_zps104fd285.jpg

• Advertisement

Just looking again, should have done the ears as well while I was at it :D

fb0g.jpg

Cows heading into a new paddock of, eh hem, fresh grass :rolleyes:. This is a wet field of bottomless peat. I'd gotten on top of the rushes 2 years ago but access was difficult last year and this spring. The new roadway will be a big help in this regard. I'd no option at stages to graze it and poach it and hey presto it's worse now that ever!

Had a lad lined up to lick it a few weeks ago but he failed to appear:rolleyes:. I've been following rellig's drainage job with interest and have decided spraying/ licking is somewhat pointless until I sort out drainage. It's 6ac and there are 3 obvious lines for drains, but how to drain it has always been the question. It's peat so over time stone will migrate away from shore drains. There's iron ore in the land so pipe blockage is a possibility. In the end I'm verring towards stone and pipe as I just don't have the confidence that the connaught agri will still be patent 10yrs down the line. At least with the stone and pipe I should get 10 years out of it and rellig will be able to tell me if the connaught agri pipes are still doing the trick;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

fb0g.jpg

Cows heading into a new paddock of, eh hem, fresh grass :rolleyes:. This is a wet field of bottomless peat. I'd gotten on top of the rushes 2 years ago but access was difficult last year and this spring. The new roadway will be a big help in this regard. I'd no option at stages to graze it and poach it and hey presto it's worse now that ever!

Had a lad lined up to lick it a few weeks ago but he failed to appear:rolleyes:. I've been following rellig's drainage job with interest and have decided spraying/ licking is somewhat pointless until I sort out drainage. It's 6ac and there are 3 obvious lines for drains, but how to drain it has always been the question. It's peat so over time stone will migrate away from shore drains. There's iron ore in the land so pipe blockage is a possibility. In the end I'm verring towards stone and pipe as I just don't have the confidence that the connaught agri will still be patent 10yrs down the line. At least with the stone and pipe I should get 10 years out of it and rellig will be able to tell me if the connaught agri pipes are still doing the trick;).

OH THANK GOD/JDI. I was sure I was doing something wrong and was so envious of Whelans whimsical quotes of pasture :pac:

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    OH THANK GOD/JDI. I was sure I was doing something wrong and was so envious of Whelans whimsical quotes of pasture :pac:
    And it's lashing out there now, better get them back out of there first thing in the morning:rolleyes:.

And it's lashing out there now, better get them back out of there first thing in the morning:rolleyes:.

404 NOT OBTAINED /NICENESS/

• Advertisement

Better call the cats in

Miaow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Miaow

what noise do you make for the goat?

404 NOT OBTAINED /NICENESS/
    Jeez Kovu, you've lost me there:confused:

what noise do you make for the goat?

BIAOW. It's great. Very Nostralmutic.

Jeez Kovu, you've lost me there:confused:

You've never been on Reddit then?

You've never been on Reddit then
    Never heard of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KBS6xeWqGk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Something lighthearted I found on YouTube.
    Maybe it's been posted before.

bbam wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KBS6xeWqGk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Something lighthearted I found on YouTube.
    Maybe it's been posted before.

Excellent bbam, love it :D

Redzer

Nice looking heifers alright. Alot to be said for knowing the source and breeding, you don't get that at the mart. Out of interest, what value would you put on them?

Im completely out of sync with the trade at the moment, havent been near a mart in a few months so in all honesty I couldnt say jd.

• Advertisement

Bodacious wrote: »

Ya, I never thought much of him to look at in the picture in the book but couldnt fault the calf, great power to her.
    Are his straws still available?

Nope, he was going to use him again this year but he couldnt be got.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

BBQ heifer out of Red Lim Cow
    CH heifer out of big white head cow, both approx 16 months, plan to calve both down next autumn, the CH for sure, will see how the BB develops in the next few months

Third pic of some rushes licked 6 wks ago, great results, will never Top rushes again without a plan to lick regrowth, been just topping for years and waste of time.. suppose the very dry summer has stunted them as well but great to see totally dead buts all over the fields...

2013-08-16 19.23.27.jpg

2013-08-16 19.23.09.jpg

2013-08-16 19.20.22.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Third pic of some rushes licked 6 wks ago, great results, will never Top rushes again without a plan to lick regrowth, been just topping for years and waste of time.. suppose the very dry summer has stunted them as well but great to see totally dead buts all over the fields...
    Great job. Was that with Round Up?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 beef burger

nice heifers great job done on the rushes used to just top them meself an awful waste but got a licker mighty tool what ya put in your mix.

pic of some rushes licked 6 wks ago, great results, will never top rushes again without a plan to lick regrowth, been just topping for years and waste of time..
    avka.jpg

Said I'd display that photo for you;) You've just finally sold me on getting a licker :).

Both nice heifers by the way. Why are you undecided on the blue? She looks the better of the two to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Used "Buggy", hired the licker on a Friday evening and back Monday morning for €50.
    Got it in Roco Engineering, buggy is what they sell, same strength as Roundup, think the 8kg bag of was €100.

Some rushes that were very heavy did not get as good a kill, just because the licker didnt get to hit everything, some got a great kill where I was turning and got them from both sides, will top everything next April and lick it all again 6-7 weeks later.

Not undecided in the blue, just not sure if she will be ready for putting in calf for calving next autumn.
    See she has one horn, bought "horn up" dehorner, great yoke but once they go over 4wks old its too late and full dehorning is required, she was done at 5-6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

On my regular travels I see one particular field. Always a tractor with topper parked up in it, and it gets cut fairly often. Always struck me as a waste of diesel. Grows many fine crop of rushes a year :D

I see another family more local to me, obsessed with cutting. Any weed, they cut. They've more bracken, thistles, rushes now than when they started :confused:

Kill him right and keep after his descendents :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

needs some work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

Used "Buggy", hired the licker on a Friday evening and back Monday morning for €50.
    Got it in Roco Engineering, buggy is what they sell, same strength as Roundup, think the 8kg bag of was €100.

Some rushes that were very heavy did not get as good a kill, just because the licker didnt get to hit everything, some got a great kill where I was turning and got them from both sides, will top everything next April and lick it all again 6-7 weeks later.

Not undecided in the blue, just not sure if she will be ready for putting in calf for calving next autumn.
    See she has one horn, bought "horn up" dehorner, great yoke but once they go over 4wks old its too late and full dehorning is required, she was done at 5-6 weeks.

if you put roundup on a weed licker will it just kill the weeds or grass and all??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

whelan1 wrote: »
    needs some work
    Is that part of a field that's poached Whelan? Hard to make out from photo. No doubt you'I do a rousin' job on it when you get a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

jersey101 wrote: »
    if you put roundup on a weed licker will it just kill the weeds or grass and all??

The idea is to lick when the weeds are higher than the grass, as roundup will harm/kill most everything it touches. It will certainly kill grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

The idea is to lick when the weeds are higher than the grass, as roundup will harm/kill most everything it touches. It will certainly kill grass.

Ah now i know, didnt know how the lickers worked.
    Thanks

Muckit wrote: »
    Is that part of a field that's poached Whelan? Hard to make out from photo. No doubt you'I do a rousin' job on it when you get a chance
    its part of a field i want to reseed, runs along the river. not sure if its a spring or water leak, wasnt this wet last year and water pressure hasnt reduced... council sewerage line also runs along there... dug and let it into river today... will wait a few days and investigate

needs some work
    whelan any chance we could see a pic with your leg and thigh in it just so we can get a scale of the problem;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

you want to wax it or wha? :pac:

• Advertisement

leg wax wrote: »
    whelan any chance we could see a pic with your leg and thigh in it just so we can get a scale of the problem;););)
    i will give you an idea, water went in over the top of my wellie:o wont post a pic as it will go arseways, was saying it to my da a few weeks ago how wet it was and he said it was a spring, showed him yesterday and he was:eek::eek: strange as its right beside the river and there is a dry track between it and the river

i will give you an idea, water went in over the top of my wellie:o wont post a pic as it will go arseways, was saying it to my da a few weeks ago how wet it was and he said it was a spring, showed him yesterday and he was:eek::eek: strange as its right beside the river and there is a dry track between it and the river
    only wanted the thigh but will look at the arseways no problem, i am not a gynaecologist but i will have a look:)who wants to look at drainage problems on a sat night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

3kga.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6nwj.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

used crash barriers to close off bits of yard, local fencing contractor used 8ft treated posts to hold them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

hard to beat crash barriers for such a job, What are they costing nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Nice job vander . What heigt is it to the top of the third barrier from the ground ? They wont clear it anyhow !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement