Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

hard to beat crash barriers for such a job, What are they costing nowadays

paid about 25 for them, that was local, they are a bit dearer on donedeal

moy83 wrote: »
    Nice job vander . What heigt is it to the top of the third barrier from the ground ? They wont clear it anyhow !

hopefully not anyway, it would be under 6ft anyway as i can get my head over the top one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

paid about 25 for them, that was local, they are a bit dearer on donedeal

does that mean they are missing of the side of the motorway some where around Ennis:D:D

Are they the 16ft ones. for the ground they cover they are well worth 25

does that mean they are missing of the side of the motorway some where around Ennis:D:D

Are they the 16ft ones. for the ground they cover they are well worth 25

nah they are 11ft6" i think, i think they may have come Tipp direction originally when nenagh bypass was done alot of old ones replaced, so i was told anyway :rolleyes:
    i hadnt ever used them before, couldnt get over the weight of them, ideal for a making a pen or anything like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

how are they attached to the posts?

big coach screw and heavy square washer, the barriers are already holed so where they overlap you can stick in coach screw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

leg wax wrote: »
    only wanted the thigh but will look at the arseways no problem, i am not a gynaecologist but i will have a look:)who wants to look at drainage problems on a sat night.
    thanks for your help, found the leak,, was a water pipe that was put down with a mole plough years and years ago:rolleyes: my da knew the general area of the pipe so it was a matter of digging... have a stopper on it now, think i earned my pint of cider.. cheers and thanks for your input:D

nah they are 11ft6" i think, i think they may have come Tipp direction originally when nenagh bypass was done alot of old ones replaced, so i was told anyway :rolleyes:
    i hadnt ever used them before, couldnt get over the weight of them, ideal for a making a pen or anything like that

There is probably a guy selling them around nenagh saying they came of the Ennis bypass job:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

hopefully not anyway, it would be under 6ft anyway as i can get my head over the top one

Will you put another row on top of the two row one? It'd only tempt a wild one to skip over it the way it is and then there's more roarin and cursin! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Muckit wrote: »
    Will you put another row on top of the two row one? It'd only tempt a wild one to skip over it the way it is and then there's more roarin and cursin! :pac:

How big are the elephants you have? :pac:

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »

well in that particular spot there has never been a fence, cattle rarely around there and if they are there they are running between 2 sheds and none have ever bothered with it, big drop behind those trees so think the 2 lines will be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

big coach screw ...

Talk about being tuned out, just after watching an episode of Sherlock (very good by the way) and came in here and saw the first quote... me thinking internet forum post then seen Vanders reply, talk about bewilderment :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Before

267941.jpg

267942.jpg

After

267943.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

Are you sure that's the same field.

Are you sure that's the same field.

Ya had to check twice before I put them up
    First two were taken a year and a half ago when I bought the place last one was taken last week when it was reseeded
    We are into cleaning the worst of the ground now only 3ac left to clean which is worse again sort of ground you would lose the digger in....... Next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

220464E4_zps31a48151.jpg

liking this calf more everyday, from a lm x dam, have kept 2 BB calves from her as cows already but this devon calf is big, rangy and stylish animal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Bodacious wrote: »

liking this calf more everyday, from a lm x dam, have kept 2 BB calves from her as cows already but this devon calf is big, rangy and stylish animal

She is one stylish animal Bodacious. Those orange heifers are always in demand around here. We have 3 of them ourselves (1 heifer, 2 cows) and they are the most consistent breeders we have. Never used cottage devon myelf but find when these oranges are crossed with a CH again they have lovely white cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    She is one stylish animal Bodacious. Those orange heifers are always in demand around here. We have 3 of them ourselves (1 heifer, 2 cows) and they are the most consistent breeders we have. Never used cottage devon myelf but find when these oranges are crossed with a CH again they have lovely white cattle.

she had a yellow heifer from Limkiln Bosco (KIB) last year but id prefer this calf and yeah if I keep her she would get easy calving limo first time and char thereafter as she should throw whites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

dar31 wrote: »
    Ya had to check twice before I put them up
    First two were taken a year and a half ago when I bought the place last one was taken last week when it was reseeded
    We are into cleaning the worst of the ground enow only 3ac left to clean which is worse again sort of ground you would lose the digger in....... Next year

Fair play Dar, I'm sure you thought it would never be done!

Did you get a mulcher in or just track digger the lot?

• Advertisement

We are back reclaiming lad this morning after a two year lay off due to weather. A couple of decent weeks and we will finish the work we done in 10 and 11. No bulldozer for me to play with this time :(, it was worth the cost just to play on her for the day. animal of a yoke. My work is just rushes and drainage so will grab a few pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Great work dar. Give us the full ins and outs of what you did. Any drainage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

well i sold the pt calf tonight in new ross and it was a great sale,he weighed360kg and made 1220,a kyr calf weighed 380kg made 1350, a cuckoo weighed 395kg made 1400, dbz 390kg 1250 ,mazerati (bad yoke) 395kg made 950, pt bull 410kg made 1100,and bucket reared pt (even worse yoke) made 780.

nashmach wrote: »
    Fair play Dar, I'm sure you thought it would never be done!

Did you get a mulcher in or just track digger the lot?

just do it wrote: »
    Great work dar. Give us the full ins and outs of what you did. Any drainage?

track machine pulled all the hazel trees and scrub, we only really worked on this field as we got time, as the better land was tidied up and roads and fencing was done.
    once the scrub was cleared we cleaned the drains around the whole field and deepened them we then pulled some wide open drains through the wet areas and then left for the winter, this allowed the areas to dry a bit as well as letting us see where all the water was coming from.

then this summer we pulled new drains to catch any water we could find, leveled, sprayed, pulled with ripper and then powerharrowed and sowed.
    we used westerwolds as there was a lot of well established weeds and rushes, as well as it will probably need more drainage next year as more/different springs open up, will burn off in 12-18 months and do full reseed then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

well i sold the pt calf tonight in new ross and it was a great sale,he weighed360kg and made 1220,a kyr calf weighed 380kg made 1350, a cuckoo weighed 395kg made 1400, dbz 390kg 1250 ,mazerati (bad yoke) 395kg made 950, pt bull 410kg made 1100,and bucket reared pt (even worse yoke) made 780.

Many or the exporters there ?

red bull wrote: »
    Many or the exporters there ?
    tlt,murpy hunter,collins,mallon.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Do you have many dbz calves .
    Have one due in a fortnight to him and two after her .
    How was he calved ???

paul or colm collins did not see them around in a while

Eh.......not meaning to butt in but I don't think names should be mentioned here.:o

I don't see why not, they are great weanling buyers

Speaking as a person who knows a few of them, I don't think they would like being mentioned in a forum.

• Advertisement

Eh.......not meaning to butt in but I don't think names should be mentioned here.:o
    all companies as far as i am concerned,and its great advertisement for them.

Thats what I thought TOO

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Do you have many dbz calves .
    Have one due in a fortnight to him and two after her .
    How was he calved ???
    i think thats the only 1 i had, and he was very handy when born,out of a red lim cow.

Until someone discriminates against them. We can tip-toe around it all we like but certain companies have been mentioned in a bad light before!

Until someone discriminates against them. We can tip-toe around it all we like but certain companies have been mentioned in a bad light before!
    anyone who buys my cattle is a friend of mine:):)

I for one don't understand you're problem:(

Each to their own. Personally I wouldn't like my company name to be on a forum as it could come up in a search thereafter.

Also, some of those buyers can be fairly picky about their name use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Couple of pics of a mixed sward from July. This field was sown May 2012 after turnips with a mix of Puna chicory, red and white clover, plantain and tetraploid ryegrasses. Suffered a bit with the drought as very sandy ground last month but flying it again now.

Currently block grazing fattening lambs on it with electric fence...powerful stuff and super growth rates with just 56 units N all year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Fairplay to you legs , super prices . Whats the story with the bucket fed pt ? Did moma die or was he bought off a dairy cow ? If he was only young 780 was good enough going

They might be good buyers but how good a payers are they? Without discriminating against any of them I can say that not all of them are allowed buy cattle in the marts in the south.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Fair duece leg wax. Did the buyers get the usual tip off that you were going to have stock there?!

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Couple of pics of a mixed sward from July. This field was sown May 2012 after turnips with a mix of Puna chicory, red and white clover, plantain and tetraploid ryegrasses. Suffered a bit with the drought as very sandy ground last month but flying it again now.

Currently block grazing fattening lambs on it with electric fence...powerful stuff and super growth rates with just 56 units N all year:D

Chicory is suppose to be the dogs for lambs. You farming in Ireland Neddy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Neddyusa wrote: »

i reseeded six acres in 2011 with a chicory, red and white clover puna mix with timothy and it did well in 2012 but i think i reseeded it too late and never got the benefit out of it. Wasn't able to get onto it for a post emergence spray and anything that i wanted to spray to kill chickweed was going to kill the clover. The brother turned cows into it last september and poached the fcuk outa the field and theres not a bit of chicory has come through this year. I didn't see any great improvement in lambs getting ready earlier with it and i've just mowed it tonight for a second cut, didnt bother trying to fatten the lambs on it this year. i think i'm too far north and too exposed for it to be a success here.

i reseeded six acres in 2011 with a chicory, red and white clover puna mix with timothy and it did well in 2012 but i think i reseeded it too late and never got the benefit out of it. Wasn't able to get onto it for a post emergence spray and anything that i wanted to spray to kill chickweed was going to kill the clover. The brother turned cows into it last september and poached the fcuk outa the field and theres not a bit of chicory has come through this year. I didn't see any great improvement in lambs getting ready earlier with it and i've just mowed it tonight for a second cut, didnt bother trying to fatten the lambs on it this year. i think i'm too far north and too exposed for it to be a success here.

Poaching wouldn't have helped it right enough. Was it heavy ground? Ya need dry warm ground to be able to mind the chicory. Spring sowing be better. Grazing it tight in a wet autumn would leave it shook over the winter too. Did the timothy and the clover survive alright?

Chicory is suppose to be the dogs for lambs. You farming in Ireland Neddy?

Yep, I'd say around 90 miles north from ya Bob...Tis great stuff for driving on the milk in ewes with doubles and triplets early in the year too..

They might be good buyers but how good a payers are they? Without discriminating against any of them I can say that not all of them are allowed buy cattle in the marts in the south.:D

The people I asked about are pure gentlemen, sold lots of weanlings to them, just asked were they buying again cause I have not met them in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Great prices there leg wax, sounds like a good turn out too considering the weather.

Is it every fortnight now from here on in?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Congrats, great prices leg, would you have pic's of the cows that had the KYR, DBZ and cuckoo (saw PT already)? give the likes of me an idea of the cow required to achieve those kind of results... also what cuckoo bull? looked an ICBF and there are a few Lim and CH's returning with that in their name...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

anyone who buys my cattle is a friend of mine:):)

anyone who buys mine and cheque dosent bounce is a friend of mine

• Advertisement

moy83 wrote: »
    Fairplay to you legs , super prices . Whats the story with the bucket fed pt ? Did moma die or was he bought off a dairy cow ? If he was only young 780 was good enough going
    his mother calved down with mastitis in all of her last 3 tits.
    just do it wrote: »
    Fair duece leg wax. Did the buyers get the usual tip off that you were going to have stock there?!
    nashmach wrote: »
    Great prices there leg wax, sounds like a good turn out too considering the weather.

Is it every fortnight now from here on in?
    i dont know,
    Congrats, great prices leg, would you have pic's of the cows that had the KYR, DBZ and cuckoo (saw PT already)? give the likes of me an idea of the cow required to achieve those kind of results... also what cuckoo bull? looked an ICBF and there are a few Lim and CH's returning with that in their name...
    will get pics later, spelt it wrong:o coucou code s818:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement