Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

you cant complain about anything in those pics,farm walk in stimpys,no wellies needed,great everything.:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Regarding this recent post:
    Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Mods can I suggest something about image search?

Can pics posted here not be put on facebook or instatwat or that?
    Only realised that they can be reverse searched and people's profiles found.

Or at least put yer profile on private!

We've added this to the Personal Information & Privacy section of the Charter:
    charter wrote: »
    Posting the same image on multiple sites:
    Many Internet search tools facilitate 'image search', whereby you can input the URL of an image and the tool will search for that image throughout the Internet.
    If you post the same image here AND elsewhere, it's possible for curious minds to link information from multiple sites and perhaps accumulate knowledge you'd prefer they didn't have; your username on other forums, for example, or even your real name and other personal data from social networking sites.
    Just something to be aware of, and it's a good idea to regularly check the privacy settings of your social networking sites too.

There's not much else we mods can do, we have no control over what people post elsewhere. It's up to people to police themselves on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Dogs out keeping an eye on the stock yesterday morning, nice bbx heifer behind, twin to a bull and its a pity because you can lay up against her in the field to chat someone, will be sorry to see her go in the next 6-7 wks...

Second pic BB (Gitan) x PB Sim cow, 17 ,months old, will get angus AI in 2 months, on second heat this weekend. quiet as a lamb normally but mad head on her when in heat which is handy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Dogs out keeping an eye on the stock yesterday morning, nice bbx heifer behind, twin to a bull and its a pity because you can lay up against her in the field to chat someone, will be sorry to see her go in the next 6-7 wks...

Second pic BB (Gitan) x PB Sim cow, 17 ,months old, will get angus AI in 2 months, on second heat this weekend. quiet as a lamb normally but mad head on her when in heat which is handy...

are they dobernmans midlandsman?

Yep, both Dobes, dog in front is 8, bitch behind it 20 months old, both imports, not many goods one here, I don't like the "English type", much lighter in the body and muzzle, prefer Euro standard, strong head, deep chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

But why the docked ears :(

But why the docked ears :(

had not got the the deposit in the breeders bank before the day they were done and she could not hold out as she was travelling to get them done. If the bitches mother was younger id have possibly waited for her next litter but I had first choice on this lot and she is a smashing pup so I took her, caring for and maintaining cropped ears is a job in itself so it wasn't ideal...

had not got the the deposit in the breeders bank before the day they were done and she could not hold out as she was travelling to get them done. If the bitches mother was younger id have possibly waited for her next litter but I had first choice on this lot and she is a smashing pup so I took her, caring for and maintaining cropped ears is a job in itself so it wasn't ideal...

At least you would have preferred them uncropped!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

hope this works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Went to try and book myself in but they wouldn't take me:pac: Took a few pics while having a look around the National Stud there yesterday.

w39i.jpg
    He was a savage sixed foal when he was born and they broke him in 15min. I think the tour guide said he's over €60,000 a service now :eek: They film and picture 'the deed' just to prove it to the owners:pac:

Apparently majority of mares foal at night, 97 out of 100 mares this year foaled at night. Also they'II carry extra days if the weather ain't good. Twas interesting stuff to listen to even though I wouldn't have a clue about horses.

One of the reseeded paddocks
    89hy.jpg

This was a typical gate on the stallion paddocks. Thought they'd be a great job also for limo heifers! :pac:
    6b7h.jpg

All the straw bales stacked up for the stable beddingtpkm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Jaysus, I had a day when I was the National Stud!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

delaval wrote: »
    Jaysus, I had a day when I was the National Stud!!!!!
    Harder to hold than a ewe, sometimes!!!!

:eek:

Jeez Muckit, you wouldn't want them popping out at 66kg though.
    That's pretty much a full grown Kovu:eek:

Redzer.....tut tut :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

jersey101 wrote: »
    if you put roundup on a weed licker will it just kill the weeds or grass and all??

Roundup will kill anything it touches so if you let fluid drip down it will kill grass....set licker high enuf to only kill the nettles,rushes whatever

brought the kids to the national stud last year and japanese gardens, lets just say we wont be going back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

whelan1 wrote: »
    brought the kids to the national stud last year and japanese gardens, lets just say we wont be going back

What did they make shyte of??

What did they make shyte of??
    my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Went to the National Stud a few years ago too with a crowd of lads, after a night out in Dublin. Never laughed so much. Felt sorry for the poor young girl showing us around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

whelan1 wrote: »
    my head
    My own head is ringing here , a party of eight year olds go karting and back to the house for grub . The last of them just gone home now thank god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

moy83 wrote: »
    My own head is ringing here , a party of eight year olds go karting and back to the house for grub . The last of them just gone home now thank god

Liosban?

I was bet into 2nd place by a fearless 11 year old :mad:

Rematch when he's 12 :cool:

• Advertisement

Liosban?

I was bet into 2nd place by a fearless 11 year old :mad:

Rematch when he's 12 :cool:
    Ya Liosban it was . I just took pictures from the sidelines but a couple of them saw no danger at all in keeping the foot down around the bends , it was actually all the older fellas that were taking it handy and being bet by the young lads

Ya Liosban it was . I just took pictures from the sidelines but a couple of them saw no danger at all in keeping the foot down around the bends , it was actually all the older fellas that were taking it handy and being bet by the young lads

The amount of times I got hit from behind, ambulance chasers wet dream that place :pac: I didn't like accidentally hurting the other children, only reason I lost really :D

The amount of times I got hit from behind, ambulance chasers wet dream that place :pac: I didn't like accidentally hurting the other children, only reason I lost really :D

You're a pure gentleman , I would mow them down out of my way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

047C49B4_zps269f5b0a.jpg

I wired in a section of the commonage (200acres) last year with temporary electric battery fence, this year ive plonked 8 bales as a trial on an old roadway and will try yearling heifers on it.. had no fodder up there last year and although they had great foraging, a dry lie etc I still had to draw up pulp/barley on the quad and had to buy it also .. the haylage is my own .. hoping too throw few forks in ring feeder once a day and let them rattle away.. if it works I can bring up more bales

Bodacious wrote: »

I wired in a section of the commonage (200acres) last year with temporary electric battery fence, this year ive plonked 8 bales as a trial on an old roadway and will try yearling heifers on it.. had no fodder up there last year and although they had great foraging, a dry lie etc I still had to draw up pulp/barley on the quad and had to buy it also .. the haylage is my own .. hoping too throw few forks in ring feeder once a day and let them rattle away.. if it works I can bring up more bales

Get on over to the Tractor Jockey thread and tell us how you got over that ground :eek:

Id say you were lucky to get all the posts in without hitting rock . Will they have the run of the 200 acres and if so how many will you leave out on it ?
    To me this is what the suckler cow is all about .

Id say you were lucky to get all the posts in without hitting rock . Will they have the run of the 200 acres and if so how many will you leave out on it ?
    To me this is what the suckler cow is all about .

I had torture to get ground for stakes hence the couple of back stays!!

i'll pen them in to a 4-5 acre paddock section to start and see how they fair out .. if they get used of coming to the silage daily and don't leave the mountain I could give them the run of the lot of it, my dad puts ponies out there too at times so ill have to play it by ear... 7 bulling heifers for next year that just need ticking over.

the bit that was ate last year ... is so much greener and better this year, the furze were/are taking over

Get on over to the Tractor Jockey thread and tell us how you got over that ground :eek:

that is my only tractor in the background!!! wicked machine and wild soft seat on it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

So ah.... how the hell did you get bales up there? Helicopter?! :confused: :pac:

I had torture to get ground for stakes hence the couple of back stays!!

i'll pen them in to a 4-5 acre paddock section to start and see how they fair out .. if they get used of coming to the silage daily and don't leave the mountain I could give them the run of the lot of it, my dad puts ponies out there too at times so ill have to play it by ear... 7 bulling heifers for next year that just need ticking over.

the bit that was ate last year ... is so much greener and better this year, the furze were/are taking over
    We are under stocked here the past five years and a bit of mountain that the father used to leave heifers in for the winter is nearly closed in with furze . Slatted sheds have mountains ruined . Around here they should have given grants for hardy cattle and sheep and drainage instead of granting money for tanks that cant be spread most of the year on our land anyhow .
    I dont know was it all the fires that started early this year but alot of the mountain this year looks well

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    So ah.... how the hell did you get bales up there? Helicopter?! :confused: :pac:

no where the quad is parked there is an old solid land commission road and the lad that does the mowing carted them up there for me as soon as they were wrapped... i'll buy a tractor again this winter hopefully when/if funds permit:)

We are under stocked here the past five years and a bit of mountain that the father used to leave heifers in for the winter is nearly closed in with furze . Slatted sheds have mountains ruined . Around here they should have given grants for hardy cattle and sheep and drainage instead of granting money for tanks that cant be spread most of the year on our land anyhow .
    I dont know was it all the fires that started early this year but alot of the mountain this year looks well

I couldn't agree with you more.. our mountain is ruined.. impassable areas due to the furze and probably 200k of water pipes mixed in ... so burning is not an option

I couldn't agree with you more.. our mountain is ruined.. impassable areas due to the furze and probably 200k of water pipes mixed in ... so burning is not an option
    The lad next door to us used to burn his mountain and ours in the process but he is gone too old now for it and I dont have the heart / balls for it myself .

What do you guys think of this lassie? She's just Jan boen, her mother is there behind her. I'm thinking of keeping her on to breed but we don't normally keep blues on.
    One thing that bodes well for her is I can go back five generations of her breeding. Her great grand dam was a BrFr X SH, her granddam was a SI X, her mother is LM as you can see and she herself is a blue cross.
    Every blue we've kept has had to be sectioned though.

uwzp.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(And yes, her mother is very small, she never grew but always leaves great calves at weaning)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

What do you guys think of this lassie? She's just Jan boen, her mother is there behind her. I'm thinking of keeping her on to breed but we don't normally keep blues on.
    One thing that bodes well for her is I can go back five generations of her breeding. Her great grand dam was a BrFr X SH, her granddam was a SI X, her mother is LM as you can see and she herself is a blue cross.

uwzp.jpg

(And yes, her mother is very small, she never grew but always leaves great calves at weaning)

keep, lovely animal,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

..Every blue we've kept has had to be sectioned though...
    Kinnda answered that one already. Nice heifer alright.

Hang her up kovu and keep a small cow like her moma that wont eat you out of house and home and hopefully leave calves that pay their way . Fine heifer .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Speaking of blues. I have a blue cross heifer out of a lim cow, just hitting 294 days today. In calf to easy calving lim bull RHF.
    She's not the muscley kind and AI man reckoned she was "roomey" enough!
    With this number of days gone, she will need to be -;(

Muckit wrote: »

Talking to a lad at the mart on Saturday, he'd gotten two weeks of work fencing, but only enjoyed two of them :confused:

They were fencing in the Maumturk mountains near the cliffs and the two good days were foggy so he couldn't see the drop :D

An hour and a half walk to the fence from the road and the same back. Material was dropped up by helicopter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

uwzp.jpg

She is a serious animal, great stretch to her but she is for a hook not breeding imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

A neighbour of mine is into vintage gear. Ploughs & tills aprox 1/2 acre with vintage plough etc, every year. Sows oats, cuts with reaper & binder, then threshes with an old threshing mill.

Here's a couple of pic's I took this eve of reaper & binder in action. If weather is decent in a few weeks, might get a few of the thresher.

jimmy G M wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine is into vintage gear. Ploughs & tills aprox 1/2 acre with vintage plough etc, every year. Sows oats, cuts with reaper & binder, then threshes with an old threshing mill.

Here's a couple of pic's I took this eve of reaper & binder in action. If weather is decent in a few weeks, might get a few of the thresher.
    Jimmy have you red hair ? You could be my neighbour except I dont think he uses a 35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Breakfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

uwzp.jpg

Bit too strong to keep id imagine .
    What bulls are you putting on your blues to result on csections kovu ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

uwzp.jpg

Isn't that cow an ideal size for our part of the country, easy on ground and not too hard to feed. And look at the calf she brings. The ideal cow IMO. A lot of lads think that you need to have a huge big cow to produce good weinlings - that's not true!

We have 6 or 7 BB cows and breed them to our CH stock bull. We have never had an issue with any of them calving. We would restrict feeding to all cows before calving which I believe helps a lot.

However, i would agree with some of the posters above and I'd be inclined to think that she might have too much muscle for breeding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

uwzp.jpg

More than one good calf in that picture, to be fair:cool:

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Bit too strong to keep id imagine .
    What bulls are you putting on your blues to result on csections kovu ????

We've only ever had 3 blue cows! 2 got an easy calving LM and one got a ch, KFC I think it was.
    All the calves were serious powerhouses though, I'll get a photo of one for you if I can find one. One I showed ended up at around 600kg at under a year old. Or maybe I'm mixing that up, I'll have to check dockets.
    reilig wrote: »
    Isn't that cow an ideal size for our part of the country, easy on ground and not too hard to feed. And look at the calf she brings. The ideal cow IMO. A lot of lads think that you need to have a huge big cow to produce good weinlings - that's not true!

We have 6 or 7 BB cows and breed them to our CH stock bull. We have never had an issue with any of them calving. We would restrict feeding to all cows before calving which I believe helps a lot.

However, i would agree with some of the posters above and I'd be inclined to think that she might have too much muscle for breeding.

Ideal size she may be but she's not easily found! If I could handpick all the heifers from marts and know their breeding I would. The problem is what to cross her with to get a good heifer, a Lm bull would result in a calf 3/4 LM, a CH would maybe lose her milk but give better height. She has another blue on her this year too.
    Thanks for all the replies lads, I think she'll be for the hook or sell on to another for breeding and save hassle on ourselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

We've only ever had 3 blue cows! 2 got an easy calving LM and one got a ch, KFC I think it was.
    All the calves were serious powerhouses though, I'll get a photo of one for you if I can find one. One I showed ended up at around 600kg at under a year old. Or maybe I'm mixing that up, I'll have to check dockets.

Ideal size she may be but she's not easily found! If I could handpick all the heifers from marts and know their breeding I would. The problem is what to cross her with to get a good heifer, a Lm bull would result in a calf 3/4 LM, a CH would maybe lose her milk but give better height. She has another blue on her this year too.
    Thanks for all the replies lads, I think she'll be for the hook or sell on to another for breeding and save hassle on ourselves!

would you consider a sim or saler cross, i have a saler x lim cow and the calf quality is superb and before anyone says anything she is as quiet as a mouse, she was loaded into the crate to have her hoof paired inside the gate last week

id chance breeding that heifer once and if it doesnt work sell her as a once calved heifer

hugo29 wrote: »
    would you consider a sim or saler cross, i have a saler x lim cow and the calf quality is superb and before anyone says anything she is as quiet as a mouse, she was loaded into the crate to have her hoof paired inside the gate last week

id chance breeding that heifer once and if it doesnt work sell her as a once calved heifer

I would chance it if I knew I was going to be around when she's calving but I doubt I will. Saler has never been on this farm before, wouldn't rule it out though as the mother is quiet as a lamb. SI, eeeeh, I'm not a big fan of them. They tend to grow bigger frames than we would like and are harder fed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

More than one good calf in that picture, to be fair:cool:
    the calf at the cows butt wants his pic put up.;);)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement