Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Two jobs on for today. Last night I lined up on paper lambs management tags to ewe department/Mayo Connemara tags. Today I had to put in either MC electronic tags for the MC ewe lambs, department electronic tags for the "other" ewe lambs, and mart tags for the wether tags. Just the other batch in the hill to do now then we'll be set for Sheep Ireland to come weigh them.

Then I had to alter the horns on a ram. The insides were getting mighty close to his jaws so after some *ahem* negotiation I got his big feckin head through the head gate and tied him back to it to steady up for the horn wire. Couple of cuts and there's daylight between jaws and horn. God bless horn cuttin' wire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Two jobs on for today. Last night I lined up on paper lambs management tags to ewe department/Mayo Connemara tags. Today I had to put in either MC electronic tags for the MC ewe lambs, department electronic tags for the "other" ewe lambs, and mart tags for the wether tags. Just the other batch in the hill to do now then we'll be set for Sheep Ireland to come weigh them.

Then I had to alter the horns on a ram. The insides were getting mighty close to his jaws so after some *ahem* negotiation I got his big feckin head through the head gate and tied him back to it to steady up for the horn wire. Couple of cuts and there's daylight between jaws and horn. God bless horn cuttin' wire!

Sheep Ireland to weigh them?
    Whats this for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

jimmy G M wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine is into vintage gear. Ploughs & tills aprox 1/2 acre with vintage plough etc, every year. Sows oats, cuts with reaper & binder, then threshes with an old threshing mill.

Here's a couple of pic's I took this eve of reaper & binder in action. If weather is decent in a few weeks, might get a few of the thresher.

He is shocking lucky to be getting anything done with the black and yellow face masks on. Health and safety man. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

QUOTE]

You in the Mayo producers Mara? I'm missing the Mule sale this Friday for the first time in 8 years or so:(

Sheep Ireland to weigh them?
    Whats this for?

They have SFA information on the Mayo Connemara breed, so they want lambs matched up to ewes and weigh the lambs, possibly the ewes too. The MC society was only formed last year to try to guard against inbreeding mostly. Hopefully it will be of benefit, I think there's to be a breed sale in Ballinrobe, at least there was talk of one anyway.
    Cran wrote: »
    You in the Mayo producers Mara? I'm missing the Mule sale this Friday for the first time in 8 years or so:(

No, just in the MC society. Independent chancer otherwise :D Maam Cross had their Mule sale last Saturday, top prize pen went €122 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

How did you get the wire to slice a piece off the horn like that ?

Can they not be cut off altogether ?

moy83 wrote: »
    How did you get the wire to slice a piece off the horn like that ?

Can they not be cut off altogether ?

It's a flexible type of wire made specifically to cut horn, theres a handle on each end and I work it by drawing it back and forth against the horn. The friction of the wire on horn is what does the cutting. I made those particular cuts by putting one of the handles around the inside of the rams horn, when I start drawing the wire back and forth (pulling towards me) I am cutting directly outwards - but I only go a small ways into the horn to dig in with the wire and give it a bit of bite. Otherwise it just slips all over the shop as it's not rigid at all. Then I can change direction and angle as I please to suit what I need to do.

It's terrible handy compared to hacksaw or wood saw. With the wire there is no part of the horn inaccessible for me to start the cut. It doesn't matter if the ram twists his head (within reason), which would trap or bend saw blades.

They look better with the full rig out, IMO. I have cut them off before but prefer slicing with the wire for pure cosmetic reasons. Less chance of any bleeding with slicing too, so no fly issues. A ram with horns not touching face at all is the best. It can be a problem particularly in wether/ram lambs if the ewe and ram both have tight horns, they can curl into the jaw or eye. I've three lambs that were heading for that trouble until I sorted them. The problem with the lambs is because the horn is growing so fast, not like an aged ram where you get lots of warning. It's hard to find a ram with everything correct though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭eire23

hard to beat full horns on them, although last year at ballinrobe very few had them. Is there many breeders in the mayo connemara society?

eire23 wrote: »
    hard to beat full horns on them, although last year at ballinrobe very few had them. Is there many breeders in the mayo connemara society?

That now is something I can't say for sure, it only started last year but there was good interest. I know there's a big geographical spread down Mayo and through Connemara, so I presume there's a fair number. Each member was to put in 20 ewes and a ram (who was genetically tested - I'm saying that wrong but brain ain't working at the minute) as a start, it was felt if lads put in a high number of ewes they might get fed up trying to match lambs to ewes in Spring/Summer and throw their hat at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

There is a multi-strand electric fence wire on the go that I've used over the years to cut off the tip of a horn that was growing in the wrong direction.
    A bit 18" or 2' long with a bit of a stick for a handle will do the job nicely.

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    There is a multi-strand electric fence wire on the go that I've used over the years to cut off the tip of a horn that was growing in the wrong direction.
    A bit 18" or 2' long with a bit of a stick for a handle will do the job nicely.

Yeah, same idea as the stuff I have.

Heard some of the Scots etc about "fixing" horns, everything from hot water and towels to spring metal screwed into them. Personally I'd rather be aware that a ram had that issue than not.

I used a wire like that last year on a few cattle but I thought it would be fierce tricky to slice neatly along like that . I suppose the full tackle would look better alright even though im not a cosmetics man myself !

I used a wire like that last year on a few cattle but I thought it would be fierce tricky to slice neatly along like that . I suppose the full tackle would look better alright even though im not a cosmetics man myself !

I had his head tied back to the gate so he had limited movement really. In that situation all I need to do was decide where to stand to get the angle I want, move at the hips then to get another angle, away I go any direction, could do a curve too I'm sure. It's great!

That gate is a blessing though, I'd not manage him without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Drilled 25/7

Spraying yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

delaval wrote: »
    Drilled 25/7

Spraying yesterday

Slugs about:mad: by the looks of things. Am I the only one that is starting to question of seed rate for grass. maybe germination has fallen or something but 12kilo per acre is over the last couple of year and looking very light once germinated. I remember before running at 9 - 10 kilos and getting good plant numbers

anyone being infested by caterpillars over the last few days? hearing bad stories of serious damage to leaf crops and veg crops locally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

seeding rates in old money, you really need one bag extra in four acres

red bull wrote: »
    seeding rates in old money, you really need one bag extra in four acres

usually 12 - 12,5 kilos in a bag, so I always used set at a bag to the acre. your putting out 25% more seed than me. Does grass seed need room to root properly or does annual grass get out of the ground to grab some space if too sparse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

at12.5 kgs per acre i would allways be on 6 bags for five acres, i like a nice thick sward less competition from seedling weeds before spraying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Slugs about:mad: by the looks of things. Am I the only one that is starting to question of seed rate for grass. maybe germination has fallen or something but 12kilo per acre is over the last couple of year and looking very light once germinated. I remember before running at 9 - 10 kilos and getting good plant numbers

anyone being infested by caterpillars over the last few days? hearing bad stories of serious damage to leaf crops and veg crops locally.

agreed on the 12kilos being too little.... we go with nearly a bag and a half an acre...

that field of reseed by delaval didnt look like it was ploughed up prior to reseeding..(could be wrong) would that have anything to do with the bare patches??

15s acre paddock. 18 acres of seed, I agree 12.5 too little.
    It got slug pellets at 1kg/acre.
    It was sprayed and direct drilled. The photo doesn't do it justice, really good strike when you walk through it.
    Needs grazing now to thicken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Great growth considering you were in drought at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

parthenaise Char springer and her calf, ai simm! cant remember bull from dovea, sim wouldnt be my cup of tea but he arrived handy enough anyway
    qf65.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

xb2z.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

parthenaise Char springer and her calf, ai simm! cant remember bull from dovea, sim wouldnt be my cup of tea but he arrived handy enough anyway
    qf65.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

xb2z.th.jpg
    she looks like she has a nice amount of milk,she kept her ch looks ,have you many more of them,they were off your bull yes?

15s acre paddock. 18 acres of seed, I agree 12.5 too little.
    It got slug pellets at 1kg/acre.
    It was sprayed and direct drilled. The photo doesn't do it justice, really good strike when you walk through it.
    Needs grazing now to thicken

What are the boot widths on the aitchison, from the pictures if hard to see a pattern. As usual when I take a picture of a sward it always looks way poorer on camera than in real life. are you sure you dont have them slugs and nipping young seedlings.

• Advertisement

leg wax wrote: »
    she looks like she has a nice amount of milk,she kept her ch looks ,have you many more of them,they were off your bull yes?

ya off my bull, 2 others i think and 2 heifers calves, none of them would be muscly looking, if they were crossed back wit a blue would they produce a shapey calf?

Sour grass cows refused

Sprayed for seeding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Sour grass cows refused

Sprayed for seeding

take it your wrapping it?

what then for seeding?

ya off my bull, 2 others i think and 2 heifers calves, none of them would be muscly looking, if they were crossed back wit a blue would they produce a shapey calf?
    hard to know,they might have a shapey calf but i dont think a muscley calf, it looks like the ch has to much influence in the mother.

Sour grass cows refused

Sprayed for seeding

you going dumping it? presume there is plenty of cow crap in it after they being in it for a few hours

As usual im disappointed, a plough based reseed done a month ago. If it was fat hen I was looking to establish I would have done a perfect job. Grass stand is very average even where seed rate was around 15kilo/ac. Will go with legumex DB, CCC and Manganesse this evening to see what that can do. Think there is Mn deficiency being shown by the seedlings which is common this year across all crops for some reason or other. Is Mn that easily leached?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

leg wax wrote: »
    hard to know,they might have a shapey calf but i dont think a muscley calf, it looks like the ch has to much influence in the mother.

Hi Leg, did you get a chance to get a pic of the cows that produced you recent top quality weanling sales? can compare to CHxPT and see the diff, also give me an idea if any I have may have too much muscle...do you ever use blue on the mother side for muscle or always BA/PT. I see the big Jalex herd up north use almost all blue for the muscle on the mothers side but he surely has unreal management systems, staff and most likely an in house vet...a lot of lads would swear never any Blue in a suckler cow…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

parthenaise Char springer and her calf, ai simm! cant remember bull from dovea, sim wouldnt be my cup of tea but he arrived handy enough

Seems to me using a Sim bull is a great way to get a bull calf. :-)
    Great outfit that. She'd look lovely with her tail clipped.

Hi Leg, did you get a chance to get a pic of the cows that produced you recent top quality weanling sales? can compare to CHxPT and see the diff, also give me an idea if any I have may have too much muscle...do you ever use blue on the mother side for muscle or always BA/PT. I see the big Jalex herd up north use almost all blue for the muscle on the mothers side but he surely has unreal management systems, staff and most likely an in house vet...a lot of lads would swear never any Blue in a suckler cow…
    !cid_cidImage_P__B68E.jpg

!cid_cidImage_P__0E98.jpg

!cid_cidImage_P__9739.jpghere they are sorry i forgot ,as you can see nothing special but they have the genes to do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Off to the factory with the third one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Thanks, they are a good bit above “nothing special” around these parts, what’s the breeding in the Lim’s? are they Lim’s with muscle or something else bringing that?

And my query or using any Blue on a Dam side? Iv two, one Blue (Gitan) x PB SIM and one Blue (BBQ) x Lim that I am going to give both AI Angus or Saler (2-3% Calving d) later this year to calve at 25 months, ill manage their feeding well in last 6-7 weeks and if they cant calve them ill let them go once fat again, good cows that would kill out big if it came to it. If it worked out I would move to proven easy Lim/BA/PT then before proven easy Blue.

take it your wrapping it?

what then for seeding?

Wrapped and stacked

Direct drill this evening or morning. I'd say morning as sunny here and contractor at grain I'd imagine

For those that are used to reseeding look away now - a few boring photos ahead!

Pic 1 - Grass 4 days post spraying and turning yellow. Not sure how will it comes out in the photo.
    2ult.jpg

Pic 2 - Grass 6 days post spraying
    72q2.jpg

Pic 3 - Freshly mowed. You can see the ridges (humps and hollows) I talked about in another thread
    e4la.jpg

Pic 4 - Patch on left will be reseeded using chain harrow only. Ground on right has been disced. Me thinks my sprayer missed a strip :rolleyes:
    owtw.jpg

Pic 5 - Close up on what the disc does. Turns up around 5 inches of soil
    asqt.jpg

Thanks, they are a good bit above “nothing special” around these parts, what’s the breeding in the Lim’s? are they Lim’s with muscle or something else bringing that?

And my query or using any Blue on a Dam side? Iv two, one Blue (Gitan) x PB SIM and one Blue (BBQ) x Lim that I am going to give both AI Angus or Saler (2-3% Calving d) later this year to calve at 25 months, ill manage their feeding well in last 6-7 weeks and if they cant calve them ill let them go once fat again, good cows that would kill out big if it came to it. If it worked out I would move to proven easy Lim/BA/PT then before proven easy Blue.
    i have a good few blue cows and more 1st calved heifers with parthenaise calves with no problems ,just make sure they are big enough and if in dought throw out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Excellent stuff jdi. Ur like me with the experiment s :-) people can tell u What they like but sometimes ujust have to try it and figure it out for yourself. I'm watching this with interest cos want to try discing sometime

• Advertisement

you going dumping it? presume there is plenty of cow crap in it after they being in it for a few hours

As usual im disappointed, a plough based reseed done a month ago. If it was fat hen I was looking to establish I would have done a perfect job. Grass stand is very average even where seed rate was around 15kilo/ac. Will go with legumex DB, CCC and Manganesse this evening to see what that can do. Think there is Mn deficiency being shown by the seedlings which is common this year across all crops for some reason or other. Is Mn that easily leached?
    No, repackaging it. Will be better than a snowball in March;)

just do it wrote: »
    For those that are used to reseeding look away now - a few boring photos ahead!
    are you hedging your bets between discing and chain harrow?

Pic 5 - Close up on what the disc does. Turns up around 5 inches of soil
    asqt.jpg

How are you going working this ground down, is it the type of ground that goes into powder when dries out? Im not a fan of using discs when there is a strong sod in the ground as it chops it into blocks

get out with your budgie and get that spray miss:o

are you hedging your bets between discing and chain harrow?

No. I'd have done it all with the chain harrow if it was level.

How are you going working this ground down, is it the type of ground that goes into powder when dries out? Im not a fan of using discs when there is a strong sod in the ground as it chops it into blocks

get out with your budgie and get that spray miss:o
    Time will tell how well it works ;)

Time will tell how well it works ;)

what machine is contractor going using to make a seed bed? it will work alright :)

Bob
    What would you have done to level out the humps and hollows? Bare in mind I'll not let a plough near the place

what machine is contractor going using to make a seed bed? it will work alright :)

Power harrow

Bob
    What would you have done to level out the humps and hollows? Bare in mind I'll not let a plough near the place
    Why not a plough ? Stones ?

• Advertisement

Why not a plough ? Stones ?

Yup, and little top soil

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement