Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

just do it wrote: »
    Yup, and little top soil

If you can get a heavy ring roller into the mix it'll do a serious job on stones. No doubt bob'll tell you all the ways I'm mad but I'd still be picking stones since May if we hadn't brought in the ring roller. We had no choice but plough as there had been serious tearing and dragging done on the ground clearing back ditches and removing a short run less than 40m of ditch but we needed to get clay to work with so ploughing was only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

If you can get a heavy ring roller into the mix it'll do a serious job on stones. No doubt bob'll tell you all the ways I'm mad but I'd still be picking stones since May if we hadn't brought in the ring roller. We had no choice but plough as there had been serious tearing and dragging done on the ground clearing back ditches and removing a short run less than 40m of ditch but we needed to get clay to work with so ploughing was only option.

Would the stone burier type crumbler on the back of the power harrow be any where as good as the ring roller

moy83 wrote: »
    Would the stone burier type crumbler on the back of the power harrow be any where as good as the ring roller

Not in the same territory at all. The ring roller our guy used stalled a 6930 JD when the paddles were fully down the first day they had it. at a guess it weighs at least 5 tonnes. The paddles will do a small amount of tilling/leveling for you as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I've a sandy field with only afew inchs of topsoil in places here that I'm reseeding at some stage in September. Ideally I'd either dd or just powerharrow it, but it's too rough in places from shallow enough tractor ruts, and the cows didn't do as good a job grazing it out the last rotating, so I think I'll have to plough it, would shallow ploughing work, likes of 5/6 inchs, which wouldn't be too much different to what jdi did, or would I be wasting my time. Hard to know what to do, I was considering levelling out the ruts with a digger, they aren't really deep enough for that, but ground too hard to be able to level them out any other way than just ploughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Timmaay wrote: »
    I've a sandy field with only afew inchs of topsoil in places here that I'm reseeding at some stage in September. Ideally I'd either dd or just powerharrow it, but it's too rough in places from shallow enough tractor ruts, and the cows didn't do as good a job grazing it out the last rotating, so I think I'll have to plough it, would shallow ploughing work, likes of 5/6 inchs, which wouldn't be too much different to what jdi did, or would I be wasting my time. Hard to know what to do, I was considering levelling out the ruts with a digger, they aren't really deep enough for that, but ground too hard to be able to level them out any other way than just ploughing.

My view would be that a pass of the power harrow a little deeper than normal over the tracks will fluff up the compacted tracks and after that you won't even know that they were there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Not in the same territory at all. The ring roller our guy used stalled a 6930 JD when the paddles were fully down the first day they had it. at a guess it weighs at least 5 tonnes. The paddles will do a small amount of tilling/leveling for you as well.

If you have a picture of that stick it up . Did you pick any stones at all ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Bob
    What would you have done to level out the humps and hollows? Bare in mind I'll not let a plough near the place

for humps and hollows the plough is your only man if you want to level it. Is it stones or topsoil you cant use a plough. This myth of loads of stones if you plough can be misplaced. a good guy on a landleveller will comb the ground and not leave a stone. Look everyone knows their own soil better than anyone on here, so what works for me may not work for the next person. Pictures will show what tools are available.

Do you reckon you will get the humps and hollows out with the discs. powerharrow next or land level or what you thinking

did he use the paddles to drag off the stones? like using a land leveller. I havnt picked stones in years and we work some very rocky and stony soil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

what do you do? just keep driving the one direction and lift at the same spot over and over to leave them all together for the loader?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Power harrow now at work and the report from the driver is two perpendicular passes will level it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Power harrow now at work and the report from the driver is two perpendicular passes will level it.
    God JDI your driver is well educated coming out with words like perpendicular, mine would say "i'll horse her up this way and then go across it" :D

God JDI your driver is well educated coming out with words like perpendicular, mine would say "i'll horse her up this way and then go across it" :D

You know AG, we're awfully posh here in Wesshht Clare :D

tell him don't go perpendicular but at a slight angle to the first pass. You will ever only work a field one way. Unless its a football pitch its very hard to have it bang on level both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

tell him don't go perpendicular but at a slight angle to the first pass. You will ever only work a field one way. Unless its a football pitch its very hard to have it bang on level both ways.

I can't understand why people kris cross fields when trying to get level. Level it the way you would if mowing it.

I confess, perpendicular was my description. He's on the second pass now and it's only at a slight angle. I've only seen the first pass and I'm impressed with it. I'd imagine its hard to know are the ridges gone until it all settles down with time.

Pic - disc on left, power harrowed on right
    0jjz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ronan 2013

I been toying with this idea for few weeks. Using disc instead of plough. Main reason being shallow soil, but like above theres dips and humps from where ditches were pulled 20yr ago. Be nice to see the outcome of this. 1 question I have is my land hasn't been ploughed in 30 yr or more, well I never seen it ploughed.. so with this is ploughing my only option or would subsoiler to break the pan and disc work

Ronan 2013 wrote: »
    I been toying with this idea for few weeks. Using disc instead of plough. Main reason being shallow soil, but like above theres dips and humps from where ditches were pulled 20yr ago. Be nice to see the outcome of this. 1 question I have is my land hasn't been ploughed in 30 yr or more, well I never seen it ploughed.. so with this is ploughing my only option or would subsoiler to break the pan and disc work
    Don't see why you'd need the subsoiler. The key to harrows is having as little grass/thatch on top as they find it hard to penetrate this and work the soil. For all intensive purposes the disc turns the soil over somewhat like a plough.

The operator is an important factor in leveling the land. I've a report from a friend who had one lad turn a flat field into a lumpy field with a power harrow. The lad I got with the power harrow is because he's been recommended to me as an experienced operator that has a good eye for levelling land.

Unfortunately there's a certain leap of fate regardless of what you do, but regardless what you do, the skill of the operator is an important factor.

No ring roller around here that I'm aware of although I'd like to get my hands on a 8-10ft one for repair of poached ground etc.

I see Conor Engineering have a grassland one that has tines in front and you can add a seeder onto it. Would cost a tidy penny no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ronan 2013

Don't see why you'd need the subsoiler. The key to harrows is having as little grass/thatch on top as they find it hard to penetrate this and work the soil. For all intensive purposes the disc turns the soil over somewhat like a plough.

The operator is an important factor in leveling the land. I've a report from a friend who had one lad turn a flat field into a lumpy field with a power harrow. The lad I got with the power harrow is because he's been recommended to me as an experienced operator that has a good eye for levelling land.

Unfortunately there's a certain leap of fate regardless of what you do, but regardless what you do, the skill of the operator is an important factor.

Had thought I would need to break this pan everyone talks about. So thought subsoiler was the job. Have ploughed and powerharrow years back for others when I worked for contractor so my plan was to do the job myself. I know what ya mean about leaving a field uneven. Remember baling a field for lad that had been seeded 2 yr earlier and it was destroyed with hills and hollows and farmer page it was never like that before.

did he use the paddles to drag off the stones? like using a land leveller. I havnt picked stones in years and we work some very rocky and stony soil

You only think you work stony soil bob. Normally all stone picking done with stone fork on loader and ring roller gets anything else. This time with deeper ploughing to sort out ditches and the fact that it was a mower going in next we spent a full day with 3 guys two on the ground and one driving picking stones from 16 acres. Every run up and down the field at max 200m one way was filling a bucket that will take 2 tonnes of stone be that sand, fill or 2" chip. I haven't done it for 20 years but there was no getting around it this time. The guy thinks more of his gear than to use the paddles to drag stones, they're spring loaded anyway so doubtful if they'd do it.

We did another 23 acres around the same time. That ground was a lot more settled and everything was picked from the seat in the cab but still following the plough for most of the day. We try to avoid putting the loader on ploughing if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭jp6470

@jdi great pictures,very interesting to see.was just thinking if you could,rotavate after the disc then powerharrow.?

jp6470 wrote: »
    @jdi great pictures,very interesting to see.was just thinking if you could,rotavate after the disc then powerharrow.?

Cost! I know I could do more but cost! My original intention was to only chain harrow the majority of it and only cultivate a few areas that needed it but the guy that mows for me got into me about the humps and hollows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

'Just Do It' - You were up early this morning.:rolleyes:
    Explain how you level with a power harrow. Is there a board or something being pulled after it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

looks good JDI, happened to me, had a bit of reseeding done 2 year ago, lad that ploughed and harrowed left one field in an awful state, full of hollows and humps,
    i have to sort it out this winter, so was planning to disc and power harrow, will be interesting to see how yours turns out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

We find down here that if land hasn't been tilled for 10+ years the plough really improves the ground, we have about 50/50 dry/ heavy land with most having a thin enough layer of fertile soil and all of it plenty stones, its a lot of work but it seems to pay off. reseeded 18 acre silage field with a 3 runs of heavy disc harrow and set with a contractors seeder on a powerharrow and it isn't half as dry as similar ground ploughed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Believe it or not this calf is by ABI the Lim bull off a CHx cow. Hard to see the Lim in him!

I posted that from my phone, I'll try and post a few more.

A bull calf out of a Ped Charolais 2nd calver. The calf is by the Lim bull Dubai THZ. Super calf, between 2 and 3 weeks old.

Last year's calf outta the PB Charolais cow heifer above. The calf is by the Lim bull FL22. Quality calf, he is very thick when you look along him. That's a CQA Simm bull calf in the background out of a BAx cow.
    (I haven't mastered the art of posting several pics in the one post yet from the phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

IMG-20130830-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20130830-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20130830-WA0002.jpg
    January born bull calf PB charlois xPB angus any market for this fella as a bull?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

mikeoh wrote: »
    IMG-20130830-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20130830-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20130830-WA0002.jpg
    January born bull calf PB charlois xPB angus any market for this fella as a bull?

Just my opinion and please don't be offended but he is not a suitable colour for any fella that would consider letting him run with a few cows.. any lad I know if not willing to spend the money on a PB or PBNR will get the best possible solid coloured white weanling as that slate grey as a result of the AA isn't the most saleable in the ring

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

Cheers Bod, he is the result of the neighbours friendly bull ....what colour would he throw from Fr cows .??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Bizzum wrote: »
    Last year's calf outta the PB Charolais cow heifer above. The calf is by the Lim bull FL22. Quality calf, he is very thick when you look along him. That's a CQA Simm bull calf in the background out of a BAx cow.
    (I haven't mastered the art of posting several pics in the one post yet from the phone)

Chap in the background looks some animal. Do you keep on your own weanlings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

mikeoh wrote: »
    Cheers Bod, he is the result of the neighbours friendly bull ....what colour would he throw from Fr cows .??

I've not much experience with dairy cows but with black in Fr 50%, 25% AA and 25% Ch I'd say that mousy/ slate grey bit darker than himself

Chap in the background looks some animal. Do you keep on your own weanlings?

We sell all the bull weanlings. That's a nice calf alright, but he'll suffer in the ring because of his breed. The Simm weanlings don't sell as well as the Ch or Lim etc. They can make up a bit in the weight for age though.
    Here's another Simm calf by Newry KFY off a BAx cow heifer. Better colour and a better calf.

We sell all the bull weanlings. That's a nice calf alright, but he'll suffer in the ring because of his breed. The Simm weanlings don't sell as well as the Ch or Lim etc. They can make up a bit in the weight for age though.
    Here's another Simm calf by Newry KFY off a BAx cow heifer. Better colour and a better calf.

serious finishing bull

• Advertisement

Here's the 2 Sim calves together. And a Ch calf off our own Bull.

Here's the 2 Simm calves this time.
    CQA and KFY calves.

CQA and KFY calves.

jez they look serious big, what weight are they

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Post direct drill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

CQA and KFY calves.

Lovely animal., is that the dam next to him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

CQA and KFY calves.

Wow. What age?

jez they look serious big, what weight are they

I'll post the weights when we sell them, but they're probably heading for 500kgs, the bigger lad maybe over it.
    Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Lovely animal., is that the dam next to him?

It's not. The dam is a very good BA cow off Landais. I'll post a pic of her next.
    Wow. What age?

Both born within a couple of weeks, mid Oct last.

BA cow by Landais, dam of Sim above, carrying her 5th calf to our Charolais bull this time.

BA cow by Landais, dam of Sim above, carrying her 5th calf to our Charolais bull this time.

"Any nuts sir"
    "Fine I'll just be jumping through this hedge so"

:D

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    "Any nuts sir"
    "Fine I'll just be jumping through this hedge so"

:D

The weanlings got no nuts at grass, They were on good grass the whole time.
    An ounce of breeding's worth a tonne of feeding!

The weanlings got no nuts at grass, They were on good grass the whole time.
    An ounce of breeding's worth a tonne of feeding!

Oh I agree 100%. But then again our plainer cows throw the best calves.
    So maybe an ounce of knowledge with regards to back breeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

And I see ICBF giving one star maternal for Landais!!!
    You are living proof, that too much can be read into these star ratings!! -;)

I'll post the weights when we sell them, but they're probably heading for 500kgs, the bigger lad maybe over it.

It's not. The dam is a very good BA cow off Landais. I'll post a pic of her next.

Both born within a couple of weeks, mid Oct last.

i sold a few in july and the heaviest were 460, yours are a good bit heavier definitely

Great stock there Bizzum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Here's the 2 Sim calves together. And a Ch calf off our own Bull.

Serious animals fair play. Have they eaten much ration atall??? Have a few aaxbrfr cows in calf to ba kilmoney Bruce, what would you think of them as breeding heifers?
    I must try a few Simmental straws

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement