Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Waiting to go : 5 year old lim x for factory Tuesday.. was a great cow to breed and great milk

9BD52DAB_zpsd277f8db.jpg

Her replacement ...

121D3AD5_zps647424e7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Bod, why are you getting rid of her?

just do it wrote: »
    Bod, why are you getting rid of her?

ah she put the bed out after calving and got vet to put it in but again at six weeks post calving she started to show it and put it out again, put it in and she forced it all out against stitches and refused to hold it in, she melted away..and calf wasn't thriving so took calf off of her (put him on a freisan x) and dried her off and fattened her up.. she still puts it out every 3 weeks regular when in oestrus eventhough she has nothing in field to jump on.. I just wash it and put it back in and thank god it hasn't got infected

below is her calf at six weeks.. great calf now
    24AEC52E_zps16353463.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

What breed is her replacement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

hugo29 wrote: »

I was wondering the same. Did ya keep any heifers off her for breeding?
    That's a super bull calf off her.

• Advertisement

hugo29 wrote: »

she is 75% Charolais at least, I bought her mother from up the side of a mountain!(big brown CH X heifer) and she was bulled to a ch stock bull so jury is out as to what she will be like for milk but her mother is good rearer

Attached is pic of her mother as a heifer (she massive now, nearly too big for my liking, calving in jan to Kilmoney Bruce the blonde

A6C72F18_zps69886ed0.jpg

Bizzum wrote: »
    I was wondering the same. Did ya keep any heifers off her for breeding?
    That's a super bull calf off her.

she is a twin so her full sister and mother still about, the cow rejected the brown heifer calf and kept the white one the same colour as herself, she herself bred 3 out of 3 bulls, FL22, CVV and last calf in pic was LGL, great bull IMO

Bodacious wrote: »
    great bull IMO
    +1

Petty about the mother but at least you'll get money for her rather than paying money to remove her.

+1

Petty about the mother but at least you'll get money for her rather than paying money to remove her.

exactly and the cow wasn't well at all so lucky to have calf reared by another and cow made it to finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Bodacious wrote: »
    exactly and the cow wasn't well at all so lucky to have calf reared by another and cow made it to finish
    Lovely calf , the frx will make some job of him now . He will be a monster at weaning time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Feb. born weanling bull of ADX, ready for road soon!

k07x.JPG
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Lads, what do you think of ADX? Breeding serious cattle, I find anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

milton
    That's a nice beast. What % of your weanlings would be to that standard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

delaval wrote: »
    milton
    cant really see him ,pic too big:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

leg wax wrote: »
    cant really see him ,pic too big:mad:

Pity. He's a right lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Adx, ? What breed is that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

dharn wrote: »
    Adx, ? What breed is that
    Jersey:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Galway jersey ? Maroon colour :D

I finished it today in better weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

Yeah today came drier than I thought

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    Lads, what do you think of ADX? Breeding serious cattle, I find anyway.

Yep , ADX (Ardlea Dan- limousin- Munster/ progressive genetics ) is throwing great calves round here too ... Neighbour sold red ADX bull calf there sat 390kg e1075

delaval wrote: »
    milton

Unfortunately not enough !
    This year though I'm happy with them all, that guy is probably the best. He would be some animal if he was on creep all summer, as it was he was on rented ground with poor grazing. Weaned 2 weeks ago and put on good aftergrass and ration.

Overall happy with ADX but a lot depends on the cow too !!!

I thought this was interesting but I’m a bit sad sometimes...anyway I got a dashcam for the car a while back and last week just for the crack I attached it to the back window of the tractor when baling up a bit of second cut. I changed to the bale lifter afterwards to run in the bales and forgot about the dashcam. Turns out that I didn’t put the clip in correctly in the top link pin and lost it after the 3rd bale. I remembered the dashcam later that night and checked the footage, sure enough it recorded the clip falling out and based on previous footage I was able to guess where in the field. Wandered out the next morning and found it – RESULT !:D

Heres the footage of the clip falling out - the quality should be much better, seems to be loosing a lot through youtube.

100%

must get one of them dash cams for the craic. how much and where

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Milton09 wrote: »
    I thought this was interesting but I’m a bit sad sometimes...anyway I got a dashcam for the car a while back and last week just for the crack I attached it to the back window of the tractor when baling up a bit of second cut. I changed to the bale lifter afterwards to run in the bales and forgot about the dashcam. Turns out that I didn’t put the clip in correctly in the top link pin and lost it after the 3rd bale. I remembered the dashcam later that night and checked the footage, sure enough it recorded the clip falling out and based on previous footage I was able to guess where in the field. Wandered out the next morning and found it – RESULT !:D

Heres the footage of the clip falling out -

100%

Not sad at all. The nerd in me is loving your story. Right up my street. Love the dash cam video

Muckit wrote: »
    Not sad at all. The nerd in me is loving your story. Right up my street. Love the dash cam video
    Every tractor that has a young lad driving it should have one mounted front and back , they could deny nothing then when they burst things :D

moy83 wrote: »
    Every tractor that has a young lad driving it should have one mounted front and back , they could deny nothing then when they burst things :D
    i like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Was I the only one expecting to see bale handler to fall off

nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭eire23

I confess, perpendicular was my description. He's on the second pass now and it's only at a slight angle. I've only seen the first pass and I'm impressed with it. I'd imagine its hard to know are the ridges gone until it all settles down with time.

Pic - disc on left, power harrowed on right
    0jjz.jpg

Any finnished pictures just do it? How many runs did the contractor to with the power harrow and did it break up the sods well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

quadboy wrote: »
    Heard of a fella with a serious rat problem and was using the blue blocks the rats kept taking them. one day cleaning out the shed he found all the blocks in a heap

Glue them to a block of wood:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Glue them to a block of wood:D

Break them up, then they will have to eat them otherwise they will hoard them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

red bull wrote: »

Yea we used to do that too, until the birds started eating it:(

To, all the banner men/ women on here, you were nearly robbed today. Good luck next day

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Yea we used to do that too, until the birds started eating it:(

I put the broken up ones in a tube, I find the tubes left after round bale rap very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

red bull wrote: »

I found a spot yesterday where they were hoarding the grain type.

I found a spot yesterday where they were hoarding the grain type.

Never heard of that happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Never heard of that happening

Neither had I but then I saw it. The reason for using the grain is supposed to be to prevent hoarding:confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

They will hoard it if they're given too much of it. Leave them a week after bait has run out, it'll do them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ronan 2013

I do ground the blocks down to dust and then <modsnip> in it. <modsnip> so won't notice and if poison don't work the <modsnip>

[MOD]

Really?

Really?

Come on FFS, the farming community get enough grief from the more strident sections of the animal rights/welfare sector without handing them this sort of ammunition to fire at us!

Silly content snipped.

[/MOD]

• Advertisement

eire23 wrote: »
    Any finnished pictures just do it? How many runs did the contractor to with the power harrow and did it break up the sods well?

2 runs with the power harrow and it turned out well. I rolled it before broadcasting the seed to firm up the seed bed. No photos yet but don't worry, you won't have to wait long.

(I think I posted some more photos after that one?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

2 runs with the power harrow and it turned out well. I rolled it before broadcasting the seed to firm up the seed bed. No photos yet but don't worry, you won't have to wait long.

(I think I posted some more photos after that one?)

did you harrow the whole lot in the end or try the chain harrow as well

did you harrow the whole lot in the end or try the chain harrow as well

9 acres disc and power harrow, 1 acre chain harrow only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

stanflt wrote: »
    last of the grassland sprayed today- thank f**k

72o5.jpg
    y137.jpg

meant to ask stan, what do you spray with and how long do you wait before grazing,

Reseeded ground 10 days later. Green patches suffered a bit of roundup deficiency :rolleyes: Ground on left was power harrowed. Ground on right was chain harrowed only. I'll try to post every week or two from same spot.

5yt0.jpg

Reseeded ground 10 days later. Green patches suffered a bit of roundup deficiency :rolleyes: Ground on left was power harrowed. Ground on right was chain harrowed only. I'll try to post every week or two from same spot.

5yt0.jpg

Looks like bad weather coming in there over the hill

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

6qli.jpg
    2zem.jpg
    8re0.jpg
    Dead happy with myself today bought these 35 esb poles cut to 7ft with diameters averaging 10 inches with some up to 14 . had some work out :o loading and unloading trailer by hand . should keep me busy for a while:)

6qli.jpg
    2zem.jpg
    8re0.jpg
    Dead happy with myself today bought these 35 esb poles cut to 7ft with diameters averaging 10 inches with some up to 14 . had some work out :o loading and unloading trailer by hand . should keep me busy for a while:)

Nice, put a few points on them and drive them home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Great load of posts there. Will ya point em with the saw before you drive them?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Bizzum wrote: »
    Great load of posts there. Will ya point em with the saw before you drive them?

ya ill give them a petitcure for sure even at that ill have to pick a wet day to drive some of them :D the bull can puck them all he wants then he wont break them .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement