Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'm just jealous after seeing your great golden stacks in the barn!! Ours are yellow! What are yours of?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    I'm just jealous after seeing your great golden stacks in the barn!! Ours are yellow! What are yours of?

Thats the hay that we got earlier in the year it was curry green when it went in (but well saved ) just the outside weathered . Its still green when you open bale and never heated thank god .. think there is a picture somewhere back further on this thread when we put it in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

I left mine down too long and it's like straw I'm afraid

May I giggle and asked who stacked them:p

May I giggle and asked who stacked them:p

Ya can :o but to be fair the ould lad was taking bales from the middle to feed foals we had weaned and they fell so i was lacking a small bit of interest stacking them the second time .. hands up:D:D

we've had more of them years than i care to remember and to be honest it was just luck with us with the weather .. its a bit like doing the lotto.

we've had more of them years than i care to remember and to be honest it was just luck with us with the weather .. its a bit like doing the lotto.

Yeah nothing like, I'll leave it down another day just to make sure:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

red bull wrote: »
    Break them up, then they will have to eat them otherwise they will hoard them

Nail them to a board is far better, they can store the grains too :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

was driving by a field yesterday and the hay bales are left where they where baled, could never understand the idea of baling in great weather and leaving the bales out for months:confused:

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    was driving by a field yesterday and the hay bales are left where they where baled, could never understand the idea of baling in great weather and leaving the bales out for months:confused:

Asked my father that and he said that a friend of his did it and bar one damp swarth of it round the outside the rest was good:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Asked my father that and he said that a friend of his did it and bar one damp swarth of it round the outside the rest was good:confused:

But that's the largest round of the bale, why waste so much?
    There is a field close to me where the medium square bales were made, wrapped and just left there a month now. Did same last year and they weren't lifted till the end of October. The sh1te was dripping out of them being loaded and it looks like he has the same plan this year.
    When you go to the expense of making fodder it should be looked after.

Yeah I've seen some near Enfield and they are nearly black, lads thought they could sell them for stupid money but when they weren't sold ,they had nowhere to store them I reckon.thats why they are still out

bbam wrote: »
    But that's the largest round of the bale, why waste so much?
    There is a field close to me where the medium square bales were made, wrapped and just left there a month now. Did same last year and they weren't lifted till the end of October. The sh1te was dripping out of them being loaded and it looks like he has the same plan this year.
    When you go to the expense of making fodder it should be looked after.

Sure the crows would have them destroyed

theres a lad down the road has last years silage bales- which he refused to sell during the bad spring- along the ditch and this years hay still out on the field:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

theres a lad down the road has last years silage bales- which he refused to sell during the bad spring- along the ditch and this years hay still out on the field:confused::confused::confused:

And this is why SOME people find it hard to make ANY money outta farming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I posted about hay still being out in fields here a few weeks ago and was told that it'll do no harm. It might not do the hay any harm but it really says something about the farmer - that he doesn't give a fcuk!!!

And this is why SOME people find it hard to make ANY money outta farming.
    my father went to the "farmer" during the bad weather to see if he would sell them, his wife was rubbing her hands thinking of the money- they badly need it- he said no, we where not the only people asking to buy them

my father went to the "farmer" during the bad weather to see if he would sell them, his wife was rubbing her hands thinking of the money- they badly need it- he said no, we where not the only people asking to buy them
    same story around here. a farmer had 120 or so bales stacked and a neighbour asked him to sell a few in feb and he refused as he said he needed them, he used feck all after but it will just fall back on that fella once he is in bother with something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

This is a calf from Dovea limousin EBY. Born yesterday from a lim springer. She was a bit camera shy, so couldnt get her in frame.
    Ignore the rushes, I'll get around to them next week:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Rolled yesterday

• Advertisement

Was looking for a joke on farmers and googled (jollyfarmers.com)

I want to kill many bears and ....marry him:o

I want to kill many bears and ....marry him:o
    control yourself woman :p

control yourself woman :p

It's alright I've got a Latvian builder arriving to approve my house (control verseld men it;s one of my uncles buiders)
    If it's not up to spec:confused:

if it dont go well slip him a ball of fake money :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

This is a calf from Dovea limousin EBY. Born yesterday from a lim springer. She was a bit camera shy, so couldnt get her in frame.
    Ignore the rushes, I'll get around to them next week:rolleyes:
    Nice looking calf. I take it she calved herself?

Nice warm rushes too. Have often lost a few hours looking for a calf in similar terrain ;)

Marooned75 wrote: »
    Rolled yesterday

What have you done before getting to this? Looking good now.

I found with mine it was near impossible to see the seed the following morning before rolling it. If I didn't know better I'd have said it wasn't broadcast yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

just do it wrote: »
    Nice looking calf. I take it she calved herself?

Nice warm rushes too. Have often lost a few hours looking for a calf in similar terrain ;)

Ya, she caught me unawares. Had damn all of a springing, and didn't think she was going to pop for another day or two. Anyway, she did unaided, and has since sprung up a nice bit of milk supply.
    On a strict diet for about six weeks though;)

What have you done before getting to this? Looking good now.

I found with mine it was near impossible to see the seed the following morning before rolling it. If I didn't know better I'd have said it wasn't broadcast yet!

Disced twice straight line then at 45% angle power harrowed sowed at 15kg acre.Gran lime,10 10 20 rolled.

Drainage work using gravel into open drain

Ya, she caught me unawares. Had damn all of a springing, and didn't think she was going to pop for another day or two. Anyway, she did unaided, and has since sprung up a nice bit of milk supply.
    On a strict diet for about six weeks though;)
    Same experience here with the restricted diet, and I recall rellig saying the same thing. Didn't have to assist any of them though, and as you say, they came into plenty milk after.

• Advertisement

Shove over!

5ioy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I see you've the 'money taker' out :D Plenty of them been pulled into fields.

Quality stock there JDI. Is there a bit of angus in the two either side of the middle lad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Shove over!

5ioy.jpg

the darcy creep feeder, plenty of them up my way..have one myself even ;)

bit of a surprise this morning, little calf off the "cow killer" ERE walking around the field off a big Ch cow, I wasnt even watching her..id say she farted him out. hadnt the phone with me to take pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

bit of a surprise this morning, little calf off the "cow killer" ERE walking around the field off a big Ch cow, I wasnt even watching her..id say she farted him out. hadnt the phone with me to take pic

Could there be a twin in her?

Bizzum wrote: »
    Could there be a twin in her?

i wondered that myself but she was up grazing and seemed grand so lets hope not, I had to head to work so she will have to make do till this evening in any event..im on a bad run of luck with them at the moment..month old calf dead in field, 2 weanling went blind/dopey to meningitis type ailment, they seem to be on mend finally and yesterday i had hoof guy out to look at big purebred ch cow and he tells me she had stifle joint injury and is basically fcuked..she is heavy in calf too of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

i wondered that myself but she was up grazing and seemed grand so lets hope not, I had to head to work so she will have to make do till this evening in any event..im on a bad run of luck with them at the moment..month old calf dead in field, 2 weanling went blind/dopey to meningitis type ailment, they seem to be on mend finally and yesterday i had hoof guy out to look at big purebred ch cow and he tells me she had stifle joint injury and is basically fcuked..she is heavy in calf too of course

We all get runs of what we feel are bad luck. We tend to dwell on the bad events and turn a blind eye when things are goin smoothly. Hope you get a good run now.
    The stifle is a good bit from the hoof! Surely when she calves she'll get some relief.

Bizzum wrote: »
    We all get runs of what we feel are bad luck. We tend to dwell on the bad events and turn a blind eye when things are goin smoothly. Hope you get a good run now.
    The stifle is a good bit from the hoof! Surely when she calves she'll get some relief.

she is pretty done up on one of her back legs but she doesnt seem to mind too much, will just have to mind her over the winter sure and let her rear calf, your man said it can come right but rarely does??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

she is pretty done up on one of her back legs but she doesnt seem to mind too much, will just have to mind her over the winter sure and let her rear calf, your man said it can come right but rarely does??

your right, put her into a sheltered garden and let her rear the calf,

neighbour had animal waste out yesterday, i had the sight of that fcuking van, smell drives the cows daft too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I was sick in tired of moving our awkward creep feeder around so I thought I would give this ago. I started it early last week but it has taken till this morning to get them all out. I'm delighted and its nice to see as long as the cows don't get under the wire as well. I had given up on the black fella going out but he must have being going out unnoticed to me.

I normally have the trough on the grass side of the field but this is at the end of the field so they have to come back to the grazed bit. I'm hoping that weaning wouldn't be as stressful this year.

j4aq.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I was sick in tired of moving our awkward creep feeder around so I thought I would give this ago. I started it early last week but it has taken till this morning to get them all out. I'm delighted and its nice to see as long as the cows don't get under the wire as well. I had given up on the black fella going out but he must have being going out unnoticed to me.

I normally have the trough on the grass side of the field but this is at the end of the field so they have to come back to the grazed bit. I'm hoping that weaning wouldn't be as stressful this year.

j4aq.jpg

Nice work there lad

RobinBanks wrote: »

j4aq.jpg

its great when it works, took mine a few days too, but most of them come out now, only fcuker is moving the trough every few days,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

And it starts again
    APZ heifer

Muckit wrote: »
    Is there a bit of angus in the two either side of the middle lad?

Only in the lad on the right. He has that typical darker mousy grey colour alright. He's nice enough but not as good as his comrades out of continental X's.

the darcy creep feeder, plenty of them up my way..have one myself even ;)

You're spot on. I've a few other bits by the same man around the place.

• Advertisement

You're spot on. I've a few other bits by the same man around the place.
    did my reseeding for me last year, did a good job

Vander
    Here's wishing your luck improves. Funny how these things come in waves

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭aneala

And it starts again
    APZ heifer

A new mammy in 24-30months:D

RobinBanks
    Can you tell us a bit more about the white stakes. Homemade? How high?

RobinBanks
    Can you tell us a bit more about the white stakes. Homemade? How high?

Think you buy them in co-op JDI

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement