Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

even if you drilled 2 holes and ran strong threaded bar thru it would prob solve your problem

Simplier again a piece of wood from a pallet and a few self tapping screws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

adne wrote: »
    Was it lying in the sward, unusual to see the yellow undergrowth?
    Ya it was since monday I gave it a run of the wuffler today before baling but it had got a good dash of rain thurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

moy83 wrote: »
    Ya it was since monday I gave it a run of the wuffler today before baling but it had got a good dash of rain thurs
    it ll be grand lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Bodacious wrote: »
    Waiting to go : 5 year old lim x for factory Tuesday.. was a great cow to breed and great milk

9BD52DAB_zpsd277f8db.jpg

Her replacement ...

121D3AD5_zps647424e7.jpg

Didn't get cheque/slip yet but I rang them today ... E1174, R -, 4+, last one got bit over fat too at 4+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

just do it wrote: »
    Yearling 400kg heifer jammed in the drinker. So what would you do?
    sduq.jpg

had one similar wedged between two RSJ's recently in the shed(job waiting to be finished). They are 16-18" gap between the two and a 500kg heifer got wedged between the two but lying at ground level. got length of inch and half piping and managed to twister around so eventually she arc'ed out of it. You couldnt believe such a big animals could fit out through the gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

had one similar wedged between two RSJ's recently in the shed(job waiting to be finished). They are 16-18" gap between the two and a 500kg heifer got wedged between the two but lying at ground level. got length of inch and half piping and managed to twister around so eventually she arc'ed out of it. You couldnt believe such a big animals could fit out through the gap.

Could be a job for the angle grinder, remove top bar and lift her out of it with front loader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

last silage bales 2013

whelan1 wrote: »
    last silage bales 2013
    great relief to have them done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Bodacious wrote: »
    Didn't get cheque/slip yet but I rang them today ... E1174, R -, 4+, last one got bit over fat too at 4+
    were you happy with that? its hard to say but i would have had her down as worth a few quid more but that is just judging off pic and of whats selling live round here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Had one do that a few years ago when letting them out to grass. she got excited after the long winter and tore out through the creep gate. No going back...

Hacksaw was the only job as the angle grinder would have frightened her to death. Cattle are dicey when stressed it doesn't take much for them to keel over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Figerty wrote: »
    Had one do that a few years ago when letting them out to grass. she got excited after the long winter and tore out through the creep gate. No going back...

Hacksaw was the only job as the angle grinder would have frightened her to death. Cattle are dicey when stressed it doesn't take much for them to keel over.
    remember a few years ago we had a bb weanling got stuck in a round feeder we cut her out with hack saw only for her to get stuck in the bars far side of the feeder :eek: there was some fooks that day

Winter is on the way ! I got a good load of off cuts from a lad with a wood miser this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

whelan1 wrote: »
    remember a few years ago we had a bb weanling got stuck in a round feeder we cut her out with hack saw only for her to get stuck in the bars far side of the feeder :eek: there was some fooks that day

Have an AA cross cow, who decided to go into the creep feeder. Spent most of the night in there, dragging it around the field. Bull going mental, chasing the UFO around the field.
    Hacksaw and about three thousand fooks, eventually sorted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

1chippy wrote: »
    were you happy with that? its hard to say but i would have had her down as worth a few quid more but that is just judging off pic and of whats selling live round here.

I had E1200 in my mind..but they were back in factory 10 cent on week before.. I could not sell her through the mart as she would come back on me as she prolapsing every 20 days

I don't think factory gives the one-off animal from a farmer the same deal as a agent/finisher with numbers, as she was 4 + on fat score, so no finisher would put more weight on her..yet they'd be fighting to give 1200+ for her in the ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Reseed 15 days later. A tinge of green starting to show. Again disc and power harrow on left and chain harrow on right and some patches not hit by spray.
    p3l9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ABlur

Limerick Die cast Show today. Some great farming dioramas on view.

I like the bog one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ABlur

I like the bog one

He had a smoke machine generating smoke from the trees, also a Garda helicopter and squad car keeping watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

ABlur wrote: »
    He had a smoke machine generating smoke from the trees, also a Garda helicopter and squad car keeping watch!

and a replica of the ming in the middle of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Saturday was such a lovely day that I took a few pics while I was waiting for the contractor to make the last of the silage bales and the first one is of a cow with a BZB heifer calf that was born on Thursday 12th. Calved on her own no problem.
    272066.JPG

This same cow calved last September a week or so later to BZB as well so you'd think same cow and bull, same colour calf but this was last years calf

272067.JPG

After the Grange open day some of us were questioning whether Derrypatrick's idea that LMxFR cows produce better calves than continental cross cows so I took a pic of a calf from both types of cow. The calves would be similar weights and were both born the beginning of April but I know which one I'll get more for when I'm selling.

LMxFR and CH bull calf

272069.JPG

SIMxCH cow and CH BULL CALF

272070.JPG

And finally here is my greedy cow. She is a Shorthorn x AA that is due next week to the LM bull GWO. She has no fear of the electric fence and she breaks in under it whenever she can to eat the fallen apples off the apple tree.
    272072.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

towzer2010 wrote: »
    And finally here is my greedy cow. She is a Shorthorn x AA that is due next week to the LM bull GWO. She has no fear of the electric fence and she breaks in under it whenever she can to eat the fallen apples off the apple tree.
    272072.JPG

:D
    We have one of those. Just be careful the apples don't ferment too much on the ground......!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Saturday was such a lovely day that I took a few pics while I was waiting for the contractor to make the last of the silage bales and the first one is of a cow with a BZB heifer calf that was born on Thursday 12th. Calved on her own no problem.
    272066.JPG

This same cow calved last September a week or so later to BZB as well so you'd think same cow and bull, same colour calf but this was last years calf

272067.JPG

After the Grange open day some of us were questioning whether Derrypatrick's idea that LMxFR cows produce better calves than continental cross cows so I took a pic of a calf from both types of cow. The calves would be similar weights and were both born the beginning of April but I know which one I'll get more for when I'm selling.

LMxFR and CH bull calf

272069.JPG

SIMxCH cow and CH BULL CALF

272070.JPG

272072.JPG

what CH bull is crossed to that SIMx cow

sweet AAXSHORTHORN cow, some people say that is the best suckler cross, would cross back lovely to a BB bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

272066.JPG

[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/307001/272067.JPG[/ How did last years heifer turn out? Have 2 ch to calf to him next wknd[/img]

hugo29 wrote: »
    what CH bull is crossed to that SIMx cow

sweet AAXSHORTHORN cow, some people say that is the best suckler cross, would cross back lovely to a BB bull

CF60 but he's not on the BTAP approved list. I think his CD is to high.

She's a nice one alright. I agree about being a good type of suckler cow. I sold her CH bull calf (kib) there in Jul. He was 405 kgs and he made €1090 and prices had come back at that stage. She's lovely and quiet with plenty of milk so I'm hoping for a heifer out of her this year cause the SHxAAxLM would hopefully be a winner.:D

johnpawl wrote: »
    How did last years heifer turn out? Have 2 ch to calf to him next wknd

Hi Johnpawl

She is a lovely heifer that will be bulled by Christmas hopefully. I posted a pic of her in July here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85363011&postcount=4577

How did last years heifer turn out? Have 2 ch to calf to him next wknd

Hi Johnpawl

She is a lovely heifer that will be bulled by Christmas hopefully. I posted a pic of her in July here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85363011&postcount=4577

Lovely heifer, what bull will u give her?

Lovely heifer, what bull will u give her?

I always use AA for first calvers. If I can get MLJ I'll use him because I had 7 or 8 heifers calved to him the last two years and no problems. Otherwise I'll use JGY. My AI man recommended him this year as easy calving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Really nice stock JP, are the Parts PB? seems to be tough get them that nice colour without being very close to PB, suppose maybe BA cross would bring it nice as well.

• Advertisement

Ya they're pedigree, in calf due in January. Put pics of them up here before as calves. Hopefully they'll do the business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Towzer
    Nice stock there and a good comparison between the LMxFR and SM cow. I suppose alot depends on the breeding of the LMxFR, particularly the FR. Simmental cows are great except for they can get a bit too big for marginal land. Hard to get it perfect!

Log splitting . It will split them 38" long and I block them with the tractor saw after . It saves alot of chainsawing and splitting

The splitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Got out from behind my IT office desk to return this to the dealership yesterday
    2 handy hours overtime :)

20130708_084640.jpg

20130917_143632.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Fine rig!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Fine rig!!

second smallest at the factory!
    They have a TS115 on verge trimming duty

Anyone else having a problem with these fcuking things this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Richk2012 wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek:
    What the hell is that !!

Are they tics ?

• Advertisement

Are they tics ?

ticks and big ones at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I remember these from years ago when I milked a cow by hand. They're blood sucking ticks. I thought the pourons got rid of them. They cause redwater in cattle too, so watch out for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

September and May (I think) are the worst months for them. Lyme disease is something people should be aware of. I use Youngs Vector on the ewes and lambs, don't have problems with them. Some use Spot-On early on lambs but it's dear stuff. Think there's Spot-On for cattle too.

pakalasa wrote: »
    I remember these from years ago when I milked a cow by hand. They're blood sucking ticks. I thought the pourons got rid of them. They cause redwater in cattle too, so watch out for it.

I know I'm keeping a close eye for red water after seen these . I gave her an ivermectin injection , I'm not sure will it kill them tho

I know I'm keeping a close eye for red water after seen these . I gave her an ivermectin injection , I'm not sure will it kill them tho

I have cattle in a dry kind of mountain thats full of them at the minute . I had a heifer with redwater in there last year but spotted her in time and gave her a shot that cured her . I dont know the name of the stuff but I think it was injected half the rate to cure them and full shot for prevention .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I have cattle in a dry kind of mountain thats full of them at the minute . I had a heifer with redwater in there last year but spotted her in time and gave her a shot that cured her . I dont know the name of the stuff but I think it was injected half the rate to cure them and full shot for prevention .

Imazol was it?

Bizzum wrote: »
    Imazol was it?
    I'm a hoor to remember names like that , but I recall its like the stuff we use for blackleg but it covers eight things instead the seven in one that the blackleg shot covers for . Am I making sense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 086111

tribervax T?

just do it wrote: »
    Towzer
    Nice stock there and a good comparison between the LMxFR and SM cow. I suppose alot depends on the breeding of the LMxFR, particularly the FR. Simmental cows are great except for they can get a bit too big for marginal land. Hard to get it perfect!
    Thanks JDI. They are alright but not enough of them yet. Yes I agree but in a way I was pointing out that you can't really specify any one breed like derrypatrick are doing because there are so many variables. Best cow I have according to ICBF isn't my best cow by along way.

We didnt have grass like this last year . They didnt knock a week out it till they had it walked into the ground/water

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement