Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Richk2012 wrote: »
    My best bull weaner this year .
    Good shape but wouldn't be over tall .

He was down on half bog with a few other bulls and was muck from head to toe ..

Gave him a shot of the power washer this evening before the sale on Wednesday .
    Poor hoor didn't know what was happening ...
    what sale are you going too, great beast , what weight is he,let us know how he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

great looking animal, what is he by, what cow type and did he come out the back end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

leg wax wrote: »
    what sale are you going too, great beast , what weight is he,let us know how he goes.

BB breeder up this way leg, he was getting 1600 euro at local mart on Friday for 500 kg weanlings,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Serious animal, what age is he, oh to have 15 of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Thanks lads .
    He almost a year old . He is by VDV Masarati in Dovea .
    He was calved normally but took a bit of a pull to get him .
    Out of a BBxFR 3rd calver .
    I'm bringing him and my 3 best heifers to Carnew show and sale on Wednesday .
    I'll try and get up a few pictures of the heifers when I can ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Thanks lads .
    He almost a year old . He is by VDV Masarati in Dovea .
    He was calved normally but took a bit of a pull to get him .
    Out of a BBxFR 3rd calver .
    I'm bringing him and my 3 best heifers to Carnew show and sale on Wednesday .
    I'll try and get up a few pictures of the heifers when I can ..

Were the previous two calves as good him ? Thats a savage bit of beef out of a fr x fair play .

moy83 wrote: »
    Were the previous two calves as good him ? Thats a savage bit of beef out of a fr x fair play .

She had a limousine as a heifer and last year had a Blonde bull calf by kilmomey Bruce ..
    Just looked through the book .
    He was the heaviest calf last year at 575kg and sold for 1260 ..
    But not as classy as this years .

She carrying TVR limo now ..

She had a limousine as a heifer and last year had a Blonde bull calf by kilmomey Bruce ..
    Just looked through the book .
    He was the heaviest calf last year at 575kg and sold for 1260 ..
    But not as classy as this years .

She carrying TVR limo now ..

Any chance of a picture of the cow ? I have a few bb x fr that I'm not sure about keeping but I might chance that maserati on one of them to see if she will come anywhere close to your lad .
    What age was he when he hit 575kg and had he much nuts got ?

Any chance of a picture of the cow ? I have a few bb x fr that I'm not sure about keeping but I might chance that maserati on one of them to see if she will come anywhere close to your lad .
    What age was he when he hit 575kg and had he much nuts got ?

I surely will get a picture for you and you will be shocked to see how plain she is .

He would have been touching a year old .
    I have it written in book I was giving them 2kgs of high energy beef nuts 5 weeks before sale .

Yea you could try but I have another BBxFR that had a masarati bull calf the same age as him and and he is a huge frame of a calf but no muscle . I'll get a pic of him too .

Most lads think I'm mad putting blue bulls on blue cows . If it works out its great but when it goes wrong its really bad .
    I bent my calving jack this time last year pulling a masarati calf out of another blue cow . A massive dead heifer and a wobbly cow for my troubles .

• Advertisement

I surely will get a picture for you and you will be shocked to see how plain she is .

He would have been touching a year old .
    I have it written in book I was giving them 2kgs of high energy beef nuts 5 weeks before sale .

Yea you could try but I have another BBxFR that had a masarati bull calf the same age as him and and he is a huge frame of a calf but no muscle . I'll get a pic of him too .

Most lads think I'm mad putting blue bulls on blue cows . If it works out its great but when it goes wrong its really bad .
    I bent my calving jack this time last year pulling a masarati calf out of another blue cow . A massive dead heifer and a wobbly cow for my troubles .

Thanks . It can be a bit of a gamble alright , the limo is a safer bet and can be alright too .

Thanks . It can be a bit of a gamble alright , the limo is a safer bet and can be alright too .

If they cross right they're every bit as good as a blue .
    I was using limo bull Rocky on a few blues 2 years ago and the calves were fit for the boat .
    As you said safer too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

If they cross right they're every bit as good as a blue .
    I was using limo bull Rocky on a few blues 2 years ago and the calves were fit for the boat .
    As you said safer too

Had a rocky bull on blues too a few years ago, only got 3 live calves all from sections. That said they were great animals. But lost a couple of the cows and most of the calves. Wrong cross of bull and cows. Won't be making that mistake again.

If crossing blues with a limo make sure it's easy calving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

:confused:

Never lost a BBx round here. Worst I found was the CHx, lost a few off chx cows, bringing the thick bone.

As my father always says, muscle will give and allow a stretch, but bone doesn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

Kovu Murr wrote: »

As my father always says, muscle will give and allow a stretch, but bone doesn't!
    i like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Kovu Murr wrote: »

Never lost a BBx round here. Worst I found was the CHx, lost a few off chx cows, bringing the thick bone.

What we found was the double muscle gene was present from both sides but the cows went over time and the calves got too big. BB pelvis is not as wide as the equivanlt sized fr, lim or aa cow so had to section them to get the calf out. By the time it got to that stage it was too late and we lost the 1st couple. By the time we copped on to what was happening it was too late for some of them. We an issue a few years previously with a BBX heifer the we had issues with in calving. Was in calf to AA but died after calving. We probably should have clicked that the breeding wasn't ideal from breeding stock but they looked perfect and the FR they were out of were excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Gone from this.....
    twinsc.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

To this!
    gaa9.jpg

Heifer twin
    3sd6.jpg

Heifer I'm debating about keeping, off PIO.
    fum2.jpg

And my blonde, she has no meal yet as she was on different land to the rest.
    fn38.jpg

nice cattle kovu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

1173701_720367064656765_687703131_n.jpg

incalf heifers grazing redstart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

4 weeks on
    ozh1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

just do it wrote: »
    4 weeks on
    ozh1.jpg

The chain harrow seems to have been a success!! You heading to the home coming this evening?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

April bull calf off LmxCh cow and stock bull. Young but good quality. If I could have them all as good.

DSC_0067_zps142a65ec.jpg

DSC_0066_zps3906febe.jpg

June CH heifer off stock bull and pedigree LM cow

DSC_0062_zpsa010bb26.jpg

April pedigree LM bull off Ampertain Commander

DSC_0064_zpsc60df9d3.jpg

May BB bull off black LM cow

DSC_0068_zps2a2db675.jpg

June Pedigree heifer off Neuf cow and Fieldson Alfy. 5 stars for everything. Will breed 5 star bulls and heifers in the future. Worth holding on to.

DSC_0070_zpsdee78121.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Lovely calves there Reilig. I know there's a few weeks between them, but God that first CH is head and shoulders above that blue, just goes to show!

Will you be off to market with him soon? You'I be looking for over the €1000 for him I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Bzb calf today, very big had to use the jack - she's a first calver. She was on hay for the past 8 weeks. 9th bull calf off this bull , was looking for heifers.. Calf up and sucking in a few mins. First time I had to assist at calving.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/irr7ld0sjpqrsfv/Photo%20Sep%2029%2C%2017%2015%2005.jpeg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqmfxda83o85xf4/Photo%20Sep%2029%2C%2017%2013%2014.jpeg

The chain harrow seems to have been a success!! You heading to the home coming this evening?
    I'll leave you to it, that's a young man's game ;).

Chain harrow doing better if anything! It's coming well on the rough "reclaimed" headland as well where there was still a good bit trash. Ideal growing conditions is a big help of course ;)

Watching this lady on the calving camera at the minute. This is with the built-in infra-red light and no other light on in the shed. It's ok but you can definitely see more with the main light on.

gk4t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Watching this lady on the calving camera at the minute. This is with the built-in infra-red light and no other light on in the shed. It's ok but you can definitely see more with the main light on.

gk4t.jpg

Ya wouldn't nip down and put on the light for us :p:p

johnpawl wrote: »
    Bzb calf today, very big had to use the jack - she's a first calver. She was on hay for the past 8 weeks.

What will you feed her on now till she's in-calf again? Between being a springer and the restricted diet pre-calving I reckon they need a bit more than cows

Stock bull is throwing nice stock for you rellig.

For both kovu and rellig, the breeding in the cows is showing dividends :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

What will you feed her on now till she's in-calf again? Between being a springer and the restricted diet pre-calving I reckon they need a bit more than cows

I was just going to let her out on after grass n a few kgs of nuts....

• Advertisement

johnpawl wrote: »
    I was just going to let her out on after grass n a few kgs of nuts....

That should do it!

Head out
    17ku.jpg

Job done. Happy enough to trust the infra-red on its own now ;)
    gtbg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

calves
    oq8t.jpg

april born bull some difference in size to the beef stock
    fowlerstown view
    1ihb.jpg
    48qt.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

a pic i found in the phone

Job done. Happy enough to trust the infra-red on its own now ;)
    gtbg.jpg

I'll take it you can control the camera as it looks like you zoomed in on her or am I wrong

stanflt wrote: »
    april born bull some difference in size to the beef stock
    Sure does it really matter what a commercial dairy animal looks like? Is it not all about breeding and figures? (once condition, size and confirmation are ok...)

I'll take it you can control the camera as it looks like you zoomed in on her or am I wrong
    No it doesn't have zoom but you can move it around. It's a cheap foscam but does what it needs to do. Can view on the smartphone which is a huge benefit. Once you get used to one you'd wonder how you ever managed with out it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

What type of camera is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

Sure does it really matter what a commercial dairy animal looks like? Is it not all about breeding and figures? (once condition, size and confirmation are ok...)

worth a lot more if they look better:)

stanflt wrote: »
    worth a lot more if they look better:)
    People - we're a fickle species really :rolleyes:

this beast gained 2.5 kg per day in finishing for 80 days
    was 785kg and killed at 25 months, pic was before loading into lorry

was getting 5.5kg of 17% nut with 12 me
    and choice grass

and choice grass

Man the harpoons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

and choice grass

What did he kill out at how much did he come to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

and choice grass

compensatory growth? how come you didnt keep him for longer if his thrive was that good. fancy head gate is it ?

• Advertisement

LivInt20 wrote: »
    What type of camera is it?

l5js.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Muckit wrote: »
    Lovely calves there Reilig. I know there's a few weeks between them, but God that first CH is head and shoulders above that blue, just goes to show!

Will you be off to market with him soon? You'I be looking for over the €1000 for him I'd say

I think that i will sell any weanlings over 300kg off grass in November. For the likes of the good calf above, he should leave a bit of profit. I don't know if he will make €1000. However, in comparison with an autumn born calf - anyone can get an autumn born calf to €1000, and wouldn't you need it to pay for him. But if a calf like this that was never housed, fed on grass up to now, and has a mother that was only maintenance fed rather than fed to feed a calf while inside, can make €1000, then isn't he or his type less work, and more profitable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

and choice grass

You could have kept him another few weeks if going that well. So he went from 585 to 785 in 80 days, you should be advising teagasc :P

What he kill out at?

compensatory growth? how come you didnt keep him for longer if his thrive was that good. fancy head gate is it ?

he went in july with the good price,
    price has dropped 50 cent since,
    sorry I didn't send all the cattle big and small with that batch

its a nugent automatic gate, you would want a good crush for animals that big because theyd break iron so they would, some of them are very flighty and nervous in the crush

420kg dw

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement