Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

this beast gained 2.5 kg per day in finishing for 80 days
    was 785kg and killed at 25 months, pic was before loading into lorry

was getting 5.5kg of 17% nut with 12 me
    and choice grass

I reckon he could be the tonne, he's only 3 legs on the scales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

just do it wrote: »
    l5js.jpg

you have second internet connection in shed or line of sight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

hugo29 wrote: »
    you have second internet connection in shed or line of sight

I have a line of sight from the house to the shed.

Would I need some kind of antenna or receiver outside the shed and on the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

LivInt20 wrote: »

Would I need some kind of antenna or receiver outside the shed and on the house?

im not sure, speak to your internet provider or who ever is proposing to install cameras for you, can PM you a good lad if you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

If you have line of sight no need to go with an ip camera, these need internet connection. If you want help pm me and ill give you details.
    Im in Sligo too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

There was a thread on this a year ago, nov/dec time if I remember rightly. All the details if my system are on it. I've a line if sight so use nanostations to bounce the signal back to the house. There's a bit in it but well worth the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

Flat out gathering bushes this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Muckit wrote: »
    must remember that next time we want to load a bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

http://youtu.be/GEFqLeTa_wI
    This was when i was in Germany and had nothing else to do at the weekends
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

whelan1 wrote: »
    must remember that next time we want to load a bull

I often wondered where I could get a tranquiliser gun for cract runaways, because sometimes nothing will stop them, once they get into a habit of jumping things it becomes a nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

I often wondered where I could get a tranquiliser gun for cract runaways, because sometimes nothing will stop them, once they get into a habit of jumping things it becomes a nightmare

You could drop the word tranquilizer in that post ..

Richk2012 wrote: »
    just about to say the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

why if you had a gun at a particular time would you kill an animal ?

yes you would be raging when things go wrong but the cheaper option is to tranquilise them , get the loader sling them up and into the trailer and off to the factory with them

have sold a few animals over the years not long after buying because they are a liability and just too dangerous and uncontrollable , it takes the enjoyment out of being a stockman

why if you had a gun at a particular time would you kill an animal ?

yes you would be raging when things go wrong but the cheaper option is to tranquilise them , get the loader sling them up and into the trailer and off to the factory with them

have sold a few animals over the years not long after buying because they are a liability and just too dangerous and uncontrollable , it takes the enjoyment out of being a stockman
    i do believe he was extracting the urine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

also if you tranquilized one I'm pretty sure you couldnt kill for a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Your closest deer farm probably has one. We had a neighbours animal trespass back in the day, stone mad. After a couple of attemts including one where he arrived with every spare young lad in the parish we got the deer farmer, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

One of my wild kittens went on a bit of an adventure list night!!:D

image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

anyone ever see a grey colored char in calf to limo have an all black calf? thought the color was strange, i presume this old girl has a share of freisan in her maybe which is all i can think of, was looking for a heifer calf, ai'd her to good limo bull, got a black bull of course :rolleyes:

anyone ever see a grey colored char in calf to limo have an all black calf? thought the color was strange, i presume this old girl has a share of freisan in her maybe which is all i can think of, was looking for a heifer calf, ai'd her to good limo bull, got a black bull of course :rolleyes:

Tis funny how the genetics work alrigh Van .

I had a cream coloured pbnr CH (cf52) cow and put her to white BB bull Tin Tin DE MY about 4 years ago .
    Was looking forward to my big white BBxCH calf .

She had a tiny black calf with a dash of white on his head .
    Dissapointed was an understatement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

got one of those grey colored char this year too Van, she was a heifer off an angus cow and incalf to the PB Lim, and out popped a black heifer calf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

One of my wild kittens went on a bit of an adventure list night!!:D

image.jpg

the only good cat is a have wild cat that wont hang around the parlour. I dont mind cats but as long as they sleep in the straw they can do what they like after that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

jersey101 wrote: »
    I dont mind cats but as long as they sleep in the straw they can do what they like after that :D

Be careful of Toxoplasmosis caused by cats urinating on straw. it doesn't really impact on cows but has a very visible effect on young calves and can cause sheep to abort lambs.

I really hate cats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

reilig wrote: »
    Be careful of Toxoplasmosis caused by cats urinating on straw. it doesn't really impact on cows but has a very visible effect on young calves and can cause sheep to abort lambs.

I really hate cats!

What are the symptoms of it in calves?

A good few cats around our calf shed,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Been feeding "creep feed", from a well known manufacturer, for the past two weeks. Bunch of heifers getting 1kg per day, in a standard feeding trough.
    See the picture here, of the stuff out of the bag, in the bowl, and also the dust and crap left behind in the feed trough, which the calves point blank refuse to eat. Makes you wonder what rubbish they pawn off on us, dressed up as good feed.

Been feeding "creep feed", from a well known manufacturer, for the past two weeks. Bunch of heifers getting 1kg per day, in a standard feeding trough.
    See the picture here, of the stuff out of the bag, in the bowl, and also the dust and crap left behind in the feed trough, which the calves point blank refuse to eat. Makes you wonder what rubbish they pawn off on us, dressed up as good feed.

I've become very sceptical. Many lads will judge the value they are getting in a ration based on price. But who knows what is in a ration? Legally the Millers have no obligation to divulge what percentage of various ingredients are in their mixes. Ludicrous.

I've started recently feeding straight flaked barley. High energy. Decent protein. No fillers. Even buying by the bag l'm convinced l'm getting better value than some loose rations. Palatability not hectic but once they get used to it it's not really an issue

• Advertisement

I've become very sceptical. Many lads will judge the value they are getting in a ration based on price. But who knows what is in a ration? Legally the Millers have no obligation to divulge what percentage of various ingredients are in their mixes. Ludicrous.

I've started recently feeding straight flaked barley. High energy. Decent protein. No fillers. Even buying by the bag l'm convinced l'm getting better value than some loose rations. Palatability not hectic but once they get used to it it's not really an issue

Would you be better buying nuts or have you still the same problem with poor ingredients

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

A first calver PTE daughter of a HKG cow hopefully she she lucky
    fn4c.jpg
    She has a OZS heifer calf bit surprised by the color but shes alive

A NWK cow of a blackwhited cow doin well the last few years. This is her LGL heifer calf she was a good pull
    svxj.jpg

ud4u.jpg
    She has a great set of hips and shoulder on her

Would you be better buying nuts or have you still the same problem with poor ingredients

Sure I suppose the real acid test is animal thrive. I've 29-30mth heifers on ~2kg/day and good grass and they are flying it.

Re nuts l've always found paul and Vincent to be excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

My best bull weaner this year .
    Good shape but wouldn't be over tall .

He was down on half bog with a few other bulls and was muck from head to toe ..

Gave him a shot of the power washer this evening before the sale on Wednesday .
    Poor hoor didn't know what was happening ...

How this this fella go for ya tonight (if yer in the door yet..)? Did you bring a few heifers as well?

How this this fella go for ya tonight (if yer in the door yet..)? Did you bring a few heifers as well?

Not long home ...... and what a day :mad: ..

Left today with that lad and 3 heifers with the jeep and trailer .
    About 45 min into the journey i got a blowout , and of course no fcuking spare tyre .
    Nursed her on for about a mile until i seen the nearest farm and pulled in and asked would the boss draw them for me with his trailer and i pay him .
    Fair play to him he gave me his trailer and i left mine in his yard .

Back on the road about 10 min and the jeep started losing power and pumping out black smoke from the exhaust .
    Was struggling to pull trailer in 2nd gear .
    After stopping and starting got the jeep back working properly and eventually got there on time with the blood pressure sky high .

The bull came 4th so no rosette for him but he topped the sale tonight .
    468kg Eur1590 .

One of the heifers Dec born won 1st prize . 364kg Eur 1380 + prize money .

The other heifer came 3rd . Feb born 356 kg Eur 1320 + prize money .

Final heifer Nov born weighed 375kg and made Eur 1250 .

Very happy with the prices . I know who bought them too so there all gone for the boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Very happy with the prices . I know who bought them too so there all gone for the boat[/QUOTE]

Well done, great prices, any pics of the heifers and are they out of the same type cows and AI blue?

Not long home ...... and what a day :mad: ..

Left today with that lad and 3 heifers with the jeep and trailer .
    About 45 min into the journey i got a blowout , and of course no fcuking spare tyre .
    Nursed her on for about a mile until i seen the nearest farm and pulled in and asked would the boss draw them for me with his trailer and i pay him .
    Fair play to him he gave me his trailer and i left mine in his yard .

Back on the road about 10 min and the jeep started losing power and pumping out black smoke from the exhaust .
    Was struggling to pull trailer in 2nd gear .
    After stopping and starting got the jeep back working properly and eventually got there on time with the blood pressure sky high .

The bull came 4th so no rosette for him but he topped the sale tonight .
    468kg Eur1590 .

Very happy with the prices . I know who bought them too so there all gone for the boat
    great prices rick, any pics of them

Excellent prices there Rich, if I get up on them prices for finished heifers I'I be happy ;) Yours were most definitely leaving the country, no lad in the country could finish them at those sale prices and turn a pound.

Fair play to your man for bailing you out with his trailer. Makes you realise how dependent we are on good will from time to time. Only last week I came across a lad one night pulled in at the side of the road with a tractor and trailer. He had got a puncture on front tractor wheel. I cam back to see if I could help, I offered him my the loan of a rim, but no he wouldn't take it, his father then just arrived with a 'spare.' I asked casually was there a rim on it, no it was just a tyre.... they were going to change it on the side of the road!!!! :eek: Some lads are just glutens for punishment! That's when I exited stage left!!

great prices rick, any pics of them

Brown heifer is Blonde .
    Other two are blues obviously

Brown heifer is Blonde .
    Other two are blues obviously

what kinda cows they outta rich?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

You must have some serious jumpers very high pen there ! Great stock though, surprised how dark the blonde is

what kinda cows they outta rich?

Blue X simmental + fresian cows .

Fair play to your man for bailing you out with his trailer. Makes you realise how dependent we are on good will from time to time.

I know . And i wasnt even talking to him in person . The wife rang him and gave me the phone to tell him the sob story :rolleyes: ........

Met him in the yard last night when i dropped the trailer back , and ya couldnt meet a nicer lad .
    So helpful .

Must of been a good hour leaning over a gate talking ..
    Couldnt get away from him in the end :D:D ..

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

Thought I would give this a go as I never put a pic up but really like looking,
    These are off my 20 month old bullocks grazing yesterday eve,

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

Heifer with her MBP calf at 12 hours old...got up on Wednesday night and got this lad out with a slight pull, pulled him out with the ropes but he ended up getting caught at the hips my we had to put the jack on him and he slipped out no bother.

• Advertisement

WP_000480.jpg

WP_000481.jpg
    weanling heifers on there last round. hopefully they can stay out for another 2-3 weeks. walked my forage rape today and it is growing an unreal amount plenty of grass in it too so should be good feeding. hopefully when calves are finished there round they can start on the rape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I know . And i wasnt even talking to him in person . The wife rang him and gave me the phone to tell him the sob story :rolleyes: ........

Met him in the yard last night when i dropped the trailer back , and ya couldnt meet a nicer lad .
    So helpful .

You better have his number in the phone under good samaratin. That's a call you'll have to take any hour of the day or night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Same thing happened with a Charlaois heifer. Bull calf came balck out of OZS.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

So helpful .

Especially these days, you hear of so many scams going on a lot of people would be afraid to let a stranger use the phone never mind take a trailer out of the yard.

For all he knew you could have left him a ball of scrap and never come back for it and been away with his good trailer.

Glad to see there is some decent generous people out there who don't overthink things as I have probably done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

jersey101 wrote: »
    WP_000480.jpg

WP_000481.jpg
    weanling heifers on there last round. hopefully they can stay out for another 2-3 weeks. walked my forage rape today and it is growing an unreal amount plenty of grass in it too so should be good feeding. hopefully when calves are finished there round they can start on the rape

Get the sprayer, plenty of docks in that field :P Actually talking about "weeds", has anyone noticed how big clover leafs are in the current regrowth? They are massive, especially in on of the fields I reseeded last April.

You're not far from those wind turbines, I know the farmer who put them in, some money at the time!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Get the sprayer, plenty of docks in that field :P Actually talking about "weeds", has anyone noticed how big clover leafs are in the current regrowth? They are massive, especially in on of the fields I reseeded last April.

You're not far from those wind turbines, I know the farmer who put them in, some money at the time!

that field was sprayed last year and this year. Its a 30 ac field and its riddled with them my attack em again in the spring. Ye im in the valley under them . Theres about 6 or 7 farmers went together to put them ones up

A few lads for the S hook at the end of the month.

image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

they look in fine fettle. I'd say the middle two are near fit to go as it is

they look in fine fettle. I'd say the middle two are near fit to go as it is

Indeed all 4 are fit, on nuts 3 weeks so going to give them another 3 weeks and hope for a price lift

• Advertisement

adne wrote: »
    Indeed all 4 are fit, on nuts 3 weeks so going to give them another 3 weeks and hope for a price lift

Are bullocks 395c/kg base now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement