Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭adne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

adne wrote: »

No I think still 390, factories are still trying to pull the price

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

Some Autumn work. Have to say the tail end has been good for us. Lots of grass and only finishers inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭red bull

Well I think you should take them to the mart, at least you get a choice and know how much they are making. As I see it the prices in the marts are much better than in the factory at the moment ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Some Autumn work. Have to say the tail end has been good for us. Lots of grass and only finishers inside.
    Nice pics, few questions
    Are you relacing sheeting on shed, putting in skylights?
    What's the reel sitting on the tanker tool box?
    We have a small trailer also called the ambulance, left ful time at heifer farm just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭adne

red bull wrote: »
    Well I think you should take them to the mart, at least you get a choice and know how much they are making. As I see it the prices in the marts are much better than in the factory at the moment ?

Why let the lad in the mart make a few quid on them, plus fees, transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

adne wrote: »
    Why let the lad in the mart make a few quid on them, plus fees, transport

Sure you will have to transport them to the factory too ????
    I'd let them to the mart and let the lads at th ring fight over them .
    By the looks of them you won't have any problem getting sale .

delaval wrote: »
    Nice pics, few questions
    Are you relacing sheeting on shed, putting in skylights?
    What's the reel sitting on the tanker tool box?
    We have a small trailer also called the ambulance, left ful time at heifer farm just in case

The gap in the roof is permanent. That shed is really low, there are tractors that dont fit up it. Had a lot of problems because of air circulation. So just cut that section of the roof out. It worked well in another shed but not so well there.

The reel is jammed in there and can't fall out. The toolbox was full at the time and would go mad kicking it around the tractor. Very handy piece of kit for what we're at.
    Often going in across a group of bulls to get into a paddock and being able to set up a fence is crucial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Serious growth here this field cut twice for silage last cut 6 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭bt12

ye have a nice set up have often passed it ,how many cattle a year do ye finish there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Here's a first for us!

An Inra calf from the bull Ulrich ULH.
    Smallish born, but well made. A couple of hours old here, out of a Blonde cow.
    Interesting to see how she goes.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Here's a first for us!

An Inra calf from the bull Ulrich ULH.
    Smallish born, but well made. A couple of hours old here, out of a Blonde cow.
    Interesting to see how she goes.

Be very interesting to see how she goes on .
    That looks a serious square cow there too

bt12 wrote: »
    ye have a nice set up have often passed it ,how many cattle a year do ye finish there

Numbers would be fairly high, but there's a few of us in it.

And thats all yer getting out of me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Numbers would be fairly high, but there's a few of us in it.

And thats all yer getting out of me :P

credit too whoever is involved as you could eat your dinner of the floor, I must never have passed it as I would have noticed somewhere looking like that

credit too whoever is involved as you could eat your dinner of the floor, I must never have passed it as I would have noticed somewhere looking like that

I'm showing the shiny side there. If you go up the road we've outfarm yards with sheds falling in and you'd be wading in 2ft of sh*te come Winter.
    The main yard is a nice place to work in though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Reseed 5 weeks on.
    acgr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

just do it wrote: »
    Reseed 5 weeks on.
    acgr.jpg

very tasty looking there lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Woooah wait a sec there JDI, I had a guy telling me about reseeded fields growing in 5 weeks just on Friday.....was it yours he was on about:eek:

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Woooah wait a sec there JDI, I had a guy telling me about reseeded fields growing in 5 weeks just on Friday.....was it yours he was on about:eek:
    In fairness growing conditions have been perfect. Sure 20oC at night, never mind the daytime, and an ideal mix of rain and sunshine. Lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Reseed 5 weeks on.
    acgr.jpg

Looks good JDI.

I find it hard to see the difference between chain narrow and power harrow areas now.
    have they both come the same?

What about the softness of the ground underneath? I assume the ground that was power harrowed is a lot softer?

Also - what's the plan for it this year, will you graze with light cattle?

Sorry - all questions :)

• Advertisement

Looks good JDI.

I find it hard to see the difference between chain narrow and power harrow areas now.
    have they both come the same?
    Similar although there is definitely more growth (and weed) coming through the chain harrowed ground.
    What about the softness of the ground underneath? I assume the ground that was power harrowed is a lot softer?
    You're spot on there. I hope the power harrowed ground tillers a bit before grazing in a few weeks.
    Also - what's the plan for it this year, will you graze with light cattle?
    Spray at 6 weeks and graze around 10d-2w after that with weanlings. Break it into 2 day paddocks to prevent ground damage.
    Sorry - all questions :)
    No problem ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Reseed 5 weeks on.

Looking good. I was only thinking that JDI's reseed should be doing well now as passed a few here that were only standing still until the drop of rain came and now there's about 5" of grass on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

WP_000482.jpg
    what a lazy fcuker of a dog :D

jersey101 wrote: »
    WP_000482.jpg

That's what ya call a Sooner........ He'd sooner burn than move away from the heat :-)

9mth old Sim heifer by KFY off the PB Charolais cow beside her.
    The makings of a good cow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

WP_000483.jpg

WP_000484.jpg

forage rape 7 weeks after sowing. coming along nicely good bit of grass mixed in too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

jersey101 wrote: »
    WP_000482.jpg
    used to have a jack russell like that and he'd go to nip you if you tried to move him

9mth old Sim heifer by KFY off the PB Charolais cow beside her.
    The makings of a good cow?
    Hardly, I'll take her off you for €500 and save you having to look at her every day;):D

Seriously, you're breeding some nice stock there Bizzum. You hold onto the heifer you posted about a few months back?

Hardly, I'll take her off you for €500 and save you having to look at her every day;):D

Seriously, you're breeding some nice stock there Bizzum. You hold onto the heifer you posted about a few months back?

We have some decent stock alright. It's a never-ending job trying to breed em up!

What heifer did I post about before?
    There's 2 PB Charolais heifers and a super black lim off ABI all calving in the spring to the Lim THZ. Would it be one of these?

• Advertisement

Here's a nice outfit. A BAx cow by Landais with a July born heifer calf by the BA bull ZBD.

Edited to add: The cow is back in calf (hopefully), served to our own Ch bull before he departed.

We have some decent stock alright. It's a never-ending job trying to breed em up!

What heifer did I post about before?
    There's 2 PB Charolais heifers and a super black lim off ABI all calving in the spring to the Lim THZ. Would it be one of these?
    From memory I think it might have been the black lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Now I know why I've only shot one fox this year, I've lazy ass guns too!

4 weeks today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Every one posts their good cattle. ... well look at this runt 10 mth old LSP ped bull off TZA cow. Should be a smasher but he's not :-( .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Muckit wrote: »
    Every one posts their good cattle. ... well look at this runt 10 mth old LSP ped bull off TZA cow. Should be a smasher but he's not :-( .....

Don't mind the bullock, time to rise that pier!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

thats not a runt, must get a pic of jonny down the field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

johnpawl wrote: »
    Three bzb- 2 days, a week and 6 months old

What do you think of him?

I have a few calves off him and I'm very happy with them.

Ha ha. Ya made me laugh with that post but your right muck it .....
    I'm guilty of that myself ..
    I'll take a picture of a few hoggets lambs that are still here and you will see the style of them ..
    These lads just won't thrive .
    Il stick them up tomorrow

I'll take a picture of a few hoggets lambs that are still here and you will see the style of them ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

towzer2010 wrote: »
    What do you think of him?

I have a few calves off him and I'm very happy with them.
    He seems to be doing the business I think. I've around 12 calves off him and all have done well, and my cows would be very plain Aaxbrfr etc. All calves have been bulls! They come into very goodweights weights when fed - at 11 months last year I sold 3 at 540, 535 and 495 kgs.
    For next round I've gone to cbq and KCE and HCA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Couple of lads heading to the factory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

johnpawl wrote: »
    He seems to be doing the business I think. I've around 12 calves off him and all have done well, and my cows would be very plain Aaxbrfr etc. All calves have been bulls! They come into very goodweights weights when fed - at 11 months last year I sold 3 at 540, 535 and 495 kgs.
    For next round I've gone to cbq and KCE and HCA

That's gas. I've had all heifers from BZB so far which I'm happy with cause the aim is to keep for replacements.

If you get heifers from those three bulls they should be ideal breeders from the aa x brfr.

Couple of lads heading to the factory

How much meal a day?are they getting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

towzer2010 wrote: »
    That's gas. I've had all heifers from BZB so far which I'm happy with cause the aim is to keep for replacements.

If you get heifers from those three bulls they should be ideal breeders from the aa x brfr.

It's heifers I was going for too for replacements!! If I had gotten heifers I'd planned to cross stq onto them at some stage. I have some ch heifers off the aaxbrfr and they're bringing the milk from the mothers. I aim to always have some of these cows to breed replacements from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Everyone has calves like that. Is milk an issue with the cow? I'd be facing her for the big field in the sky :D

Richk2012 wrote: »

If we're going to make it a competition as to who has the worst stock I'm gonna win hands down. Muckit's lad would be the Brad Pitt of our place.

Sometimes the pics of quality stock that are put up here would pure depress a lad.

Marooned75 wrote: »
    How much meal a day?are they getting

Mixture of 1.5 kg rolled barley and .5kg of a 16% beef nut. Found that they weren't fussed about barley on its own

Same boys again. Disapointed that this lad didnt scrape in as a U

AZL heifer calf born yesterday

Two ladies that wouldn't go in calf this year went on their holidays this week

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement