Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Muckit wrote: »
    Every one posts their good cattle. ... well look at this runt 10 mth old LSP ped bull off TZA cow. Should be a smasher but he's not :-( .....
    Its a good point..

Sold two heifers in the mart recently and I worked out each lost us €100 since they came :( . I just coldnt turn them round, 12 months old and less than 290kg each.

Happens everyone !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Richk2012 wrote: »
    AZL heifer calf born yesterday

Two ladies that wouldn't go in calf this year went on their holidays this week

much of a pull with her Rich?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Same boys again. Disapointed that this lad didnt scrape in as a U

good lump alright and well made, how did he grade on fat? its something that often costs us money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Every one posts their good cattle. ... well look at this runt 10 mth old LSP ped bull off TZA cow. Should be a smasher but he's not :-( .....

I wouldnt mind but I have seen a couple of serious quality commercial calves off LSP Muckit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

much of a pull with her Rich?

No the cow is as loose as a bag so spat her out .
    Never used RossAlo before this year and have a few in calf to him so I dunno how they will turn out but seen a few lads on this saying he not wonderful ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

bbam wrote: »
    Its a good point..

Sold two heifers in the mart recently and I worked out each lost us €100 since they came :( . I just coldnt turn them round, 12 months old and less than 290kg each.

Happens everyone !

I'l tell ya another good one.... went to a weanling mart only two weeks ago.... when came home and checked the cards one was April born. ........ 2012. ' Buyer beware' was the mart manager s answer to me when l quizzed how it could be allowed happen. Any age cattle can be entered in either mart day. You live and learn . I'l b watching board like a hawk from now on
    Trick me once -shame on you. Trick me twice - shame on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭limo_100

I'l tell ya another good one.... went to a weanling mart only two weeks ago.... when came home and checked the cards one was April born. ........ 2012. ' Buyer beware' was the mart manager s answer to me when l quizzed how it could be allowed happen. Any age cattle can be entered in either mart day. You live and learn . I'l b watching board like a hawk from now on
    Trick me once -shame on you. Trick me twice - shame on me

but was it not your mistake im sure that it was on the board. Wat you do with him now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

johnpawl wrote: »
    He seems to be doing the business I think. I've around 12 calves off him and all have done well, and my cows would be very plain Aaxbrfr etc. All calves have been bulls! They come into very goodweights weights when fed - at 11 months last year I sold 3 at 540, 535 and 495 kgs.
    For next round I've gone to cbq and KCE and HCA

Had planned on using bzb on few this year but my AI man was totally against him. He maintained that the calves out of him are very hit and miss as to there quality and that alot of people wer finding him a hard pull at calving.

limo_100 wrote: »
    but was it not your mistake im sure that it was on the board. Wat you do with him now?

Yes it was my mistake for not looking at board better. I wouldn't call a year and a weanling though.

Why have two separate marts if age isnt an issue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Had planned on using bzb on few this year but my AI man was totally against him. He maintained that the calves out of him are very hit and miss as to there quality and that alot of people wer finding him a hard pull at calving.

To be fair I find him consistently breeding good calves. All the cows calved unassisted and calves very hardy. Had to use the jack on the two first Calvers however and they were on hay for 8 weeks prior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

To be fair I find him consistently breeding good calves. All the cows calved unassisted and calves very hardy. Had to use the jack on the two first Calvers however and they were on hay for 8 weeks prior.

+ 1 on the calf quality and all mine calved unassisted. My vet did tell me that he had an awful lot of sections to PT bulls this year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

To be fair I find him consistently breeding good calves.

Maybe your cows are consistently good?

Anything I have seen out of bzb has been pretty decent. I think it was more his tales of hard calvings that put me off more than anything else. I opted for lim instead to be CWI, MBP & HCA. Have you crossed part & sim? Would u get similar calf to lim & sim - red body wit white head/face

Bizzum wrote: »
    Maybe your cows are consistently good?
    It's mainly cows that were bought as bucket fed calves off the dairy herd so no head turners!! Never had a sim on this farm.Any recommendations for a good ch bull for these cows for next year?

3 replacement heifers enjoying some after grass early this morning. They won't b calving until may 2014 at about 26 months. A lot later in the year than I'd like but it took them awhile to start cycling.

• Advertisement

Any recommendations for a good ch bull for these cows for next year?

What AI company do ya use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

It's mainly cows that were bought as bucket fed calves off the dairy herd so no head turners!! Never had a sim on this farm.Any recommendations for a good ch bull for these cows for next year?
    LGL seems to be producing very good calves. A few in my BTAP group had smashing calves out of him. I've none from him yet but a few due in spring.

3 replacement heifers enjoying some after grass early this morning. They won't b calving until may 2014 at about 26 months. A lot later in the year than I'd like but it took them awhile to start cycling.

fantastic heifers elmer what are they by? did you breed them or buy them in?

Nice lookin heifers alright. What are they carrying to?

Thanks, they are shaping up to make nice cows but only time will tell. I bought them in at about 6-8 weeks and reared them on a bucket. They are supposed to be purebred non reg but I've no proof of that. They where taken in from Germany.

• Advertisement

Thanks, they are shaping up to make nice cows but only time will tell. I bought them in at about 6-8 weeks and reared them on a bucket. They are supposed to be purebred non reg but I've no proof of that. They where taken in from Germany.

orit are they they ones form the wicklow company?? are you happy with them?? And what happens if you wanted to sell them in the mart would you b allowed?? would you buy them again and how much did they cost if you dont mind me asking?? sorry for all the questions

Nice lookin heifers alright. What are they carrying to?

2 of them are ai'd to lim MBP and 1 to blonde KCE. Not the easiest of calved bulls for heifers but I think they'll have plenty of size by calving. I have used MBP before on heifers and haven't had anymore trouble other than throwing on the jack

orit are they they ones form the wicklow company?? are you happy with them?? And what happens if you wanted to sell them in the mart would you b allowed?? would you buy them again and how much did they cost if you dont mind me asking?? sorry for all the questions

That's them. I'm extremely happy with how they turned out so far but I cant really answer the question until they calve down next year. I bought a few more this year which I hope to AI next spring. Can't fault the service Wicklow company provided or the health of the calves when I got them. Just can't remember the price off the top of my head but ill check tomorrow night if I get a chance. They where dearer than a decent continental off a fr in your local mart but the way I was looking at it was that hopefully it'll be worth it in the long run. I'm hoping to breed more replacement heifers from them. I'll prob get all bulls ha. There is no problem selling them in the mart. As far as I know there are certain factory's that won't kill them but I don't intend killing them for a long time. I'll try and get a pic of this years calves tomorrow as well.

Anything I have seen out of bzb has been pretty decent. I think it was more his tales of hard calvings that put me off more than anything else. I opted for lim instead to be CWI, MBP & HCA. Have you crossed part & sim? Would u get similar calf to lim & sim - red body wit white head/face

I would say the early stories of really easy calving’s and his calving % of about 3.5% on ICBF meant a lot put him on heifers or tight cows thinking it was going to be like an angus and might not have managed them too well and got caught when time came. His % went up to 8 but I’d bet the ppl that use him now might be more careful and could see that figure coming back down next time around.
    Well know PT man told me the Blue society in Belgium have taken in the top man from PT society in France and bought SNX to improve/change direction of some current blue characteristics, how true this is I don’t know, was viewing some stock in his yard with someone considering buying embryo’s

What AI company do ya use?

Dovea and munster

If carlsberg did yard brushes they wouldn't get Italians to make them!! Can ya imagine cleaning up cow sh** with one of those! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

If carlsberg did yard brushes they wouldn't get Italians to make them!! Can ya imagine cleaning up cow sh** with one of those! !

That wouldn't sweep mouse ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Same boys again. Disapointed that this lad didnt scrape in as a U
    How old were they Bogman, and what weight?

I saw some 2 1/2yo stock going through the mart yesterday and can't see how they left any money behind them:rolleyes:

Dovea and munster

AAx Fr cows, plain enough you say, would you be concerned at the prospect of breeding mousey coloured calves? They don't seem to be the best sellers?

I suppose its a handy enough calved Charolais you'd be talking about.
    Since we started using our own Ch bulls I've taken my eye off the ball with the AI Charolais bulls to some extent. A bull like Pirate or Roundhill Doc might do a job for ya. In fact R Doc bred some lovely cattle for us, out of good cows.

Would a real good Lim be an option with a view of keeping heifers as replacements?

AAx Fr cows, plain enough you say, would you be concerned at the prospect of breeding mousey coloured calves? They don't seem to be the best sellers?

I suppose its a handy enough calved Charolais you'd be talking about.
    Since we started using our own Ch bulls I've taken my eye off the ball with the AI Charolais bulls to some extent. A bull like Pirate or Roundhill Doc might do a job for ya. In fact R Doc bred some lovely cattle for us, out of good cows.

Would a real good Lim be an option with a view of keeping heifers as replacements?

Had a bunch of ch calves off stock bull a few years ago, two of the heifers are shown in this thread a pg back with bzb calves. They all came this colour, got no mousey coloured ones, although I'm aware it's a possibility. Got good money for them as weanlings. I'll suss out round hill doc
    Spose ozs for replacements?

• Advertisement

That's them. I'm extremely happy with how they turned out so far but I cant really answer the question until they calve down next year. I bought a few more this year which I hope to AI next spring. Can't fault the service Wicklow company provided or the health of the calves when I got them. Just can't remember the price off the top of my head but ill check tomorrow night if I get a chance. They where dearer than a decent continental off a fr in your local mart but the way I was looking at it was that hopefully it'll be worth it in the long run. I'm hoping to breed more replacement heifers from them. I'll prob get all bulls ha. There is no problem selling them in the mart. As far as I know there are certain factory's that won't kill them but I don't intend killing them for a long time. I'll try and get a pic of this years calves tomorrow as well.

This years heifers as promised. There about 6 months old and where off milk replacer from about 14 weeks.

Spose ozs for replacements?

There's another man on here, hopefully he'll be along to add his expertise, but in the meantime....
    OZS , FL21 and maybe from Dovea CWI.

But, I'd think your AAxFr cows will bring plenty of milk anyway so a good Lim bull probably won't do away with that.
    So MBP and let it be lucky :-)

There's another man on here, hopefully he'll be along to add his expertise, but in the meantime....
    OZS , FL21 and maybe from Dovea CWI.

But, I'd think your AAxFr cows will bring plenty of milk anyway so a good Lim bull probably won't do away with that.
    So MBP and let it be lucky :-)

I have two weanling heifers off one off OZS and one off FL21 weaned them and weighted them at 10months old 2weeks ago them were 415kg extremely happy with them there very well made with great pelvis structure. only thing is i av 2 skull forgot dehorn a few last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

From this
    reilig wrote: »
    It's more like a scene from Bord Na Mona, but we got 800m of connacht agri pipes in yesterday.

Water is flowing in the trenches so I presume that when they are backfilled, the water will flow through the pipes.

Ground was sprayed off 10 days ago and baled up. Hoping to reseed it once the shores are in.

Backfilling has started this morning. Scraw will be put in on top of the pipes followed by the loose soil. Trenches dug with a mounding bucket and pipe is laid from 20 inches to 28 inches depending on the collector drain depth.

DSC_0003_zpsca3b1b29.jpg

DSC_0004_zps995a78b9.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsc335dbf2.jpg

DSC_0005_zpse2beb0f6.jpg

To this

DSC_0058_zpsb75be2c8.jpg

10 weeks since we drained it. 6 weeks since the seed went in.

What we couldn't walk across 10 weeks ago has now become so dry that even some of the seed struggled and the weeds got a chance to get ahead of it. We sprayed the weed off over the weekend.

I have said it before, but I'll say it again. We spent about €4k on 9 acres between drainage and reseeding. This was land that was almost unfarmable. Now it's very dry and has a lot of potential for the future. We talked about going out to buy or rent extra land, but the old question lingers - why take on more land when you are not using your own to its full potential??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

nice one reilig

i have 2 acres of habitat which is same as that and i think i will attack it next spring after exiting Reps

just do it wrote: »
    How old were they Bogman, and what weight?

I saw some 2 1/2yo stock going through the mart yesterday and can't see how they left any money behind them:rolleyes:

havent got the docket yet because I was in Budapest for the weekend. :o 2 were 24 months and the 3rd 25

havent got the docket yet because I was in Budapest for the weekend. :o 2 were 24 months and the 3rd 25

nice city isnt it, love the goulash,

did ya try the local brew

Dont drink myself but the rest of the lads did plenty of sampling.
    Bigest problem was trying to find a night club that wasnt a strip joint. just stuck with the bars in the end.

Bigest problem was trying to find a night club that wasnt a strip joint. just stuck with the bars in the end.

Did ya visit any of the bath houses? Well worth a look for the sheer opulence!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

hugo29 wrote: »
    nice city isnt it, love the goulash,

did ya try the local brew

I could say the opposit , the goulash nearly killed me I spent most of the time eating out of mcdonalds !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Can't see what the problem is there.....

I found that the biggest problem is that most people there are pig ignorant. Least friendly city I ever visited.

From this

What we couldn't walk across 10 weeks ago has now become so dry that even some of the seed struggled and the weeds got a chance to get ahead of it. We sprayed the weed off over the weekend.

I have said it before, but I'll say it again. We spent about €4k on 9 acres between drainage and reseeding. This was land that was almost unfarmable. Now it's very dry and has a lot of potential for the future. We talked about going out to buy or rent extra land, but the old question lingers - why take on more land when you are not using your own to its full potential??

have you many more acres to do reilig? you said that the field is now how do you think it would hold up in the wet weather??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

have you many more acres to do reilig? you said that the field is now how do you think it would hold up in the wet weather??

I recon I could do with putting down another 2000 meters of drain like this. But it would only be in certain spots in certain fields as opposed to a blanket drainage of a whole field. Once it gets a skin on it, i think it will hold up well enough to wet weather. But as is the case around here, it's wise to have them housed before the start to poach!

munkus wrote: »

I found that the biggest problem is that most people there are pig ignorant. Least friendly city I ever visited.

For some reason the female members of the group had a problem with it. :D

yeah we noticed that too. not the friendliest group.

booked 30 people in for dinner and when we got there asked for two more places. you would think I asked for his firstborn!
    FFS! I brought ya 32 paying customers!:rolleyes:

From this

To this

DSC_0058_zpsb75be2c8.jpg

Hi Relig,
    Iv seen lots of estimates on here for reseeding costs of 300-450 pa, if you dont mind me asking, on your 4k what was your approx split between drainage and reseeding? Similar piece of land near by me that I am thinking of putting an offer on and cleaning up approx 5 acres in total. think id get it for about €10k and trying to work out what id need to spend to get it right..

• Advertisement

why take on more land when you are not using your own to its full potential??

We often butt heads but l would agree 200% with you here. I would would look on myself as being fairly on the ball but could see loads more room for improvement before I ever think about renting or worse still buying land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

The things some people consider problems:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

We often butt heads but l would agree 200% with you here. I would would look on myself as being fairly on the ball but could see loads more room for improvement before I ever think about renting or worse still buying land

That's where forums and discussion groups like STAP and I presume BTAP are worth their weight in gold, get you thinking another way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

munkus wrote: »

Used to go out with a Hungarian girl, don't ask, so been to Budapest several times. Lovely city but agree about some of the people. I think it's a hang over from Communist times, they were put through an awful lot. It's something to still see the holes in walls from WW2 bullets, makes you think how lucky we are to live on an island, even with our history. Hungary used to be a hell of a lot bigger but got cut way down in size after WW2 I think it was because they sided with Ze Germans.

They had no TV on Mondays, that's my useless fact about Communist Hungary. Save for two times, I think once was band aid or live aid or something like that, can't remember the other. Bizarre stuff went on behind the Iron Curtain.

Used to go out with a Hungarian girl, don't ask, so been to Budapest several times. Lovely city but agree about some of the people. I think it's a hang over from Communist times, they were put through an awful lot. It's something to still see the holes in walls from WW2 bullets, makes you think how lucky we are to live on an island, even with our history. Hungary used to be a hell of a lot bigger but got cut way down in size after WW2 I think it was because they sided with Ze Germans.

They had no TV on Mondays, that's my useless fact about Communist Hungary. Save for two times, I think once was band aid or live aid or something like that, can't remember the other. Bizarre stuff went on behind the Iron Curtain.

that would make some film

" A connemara man in budapest":D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement