Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Blonde cow again with her Inra heifer calf by Ulrich about 2 weeks old.
    Out at grass now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

adne wrote: »
    Is he a blue?

Not at all. He's a limousin. Belgian blues ain't the only muscle machines in town ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Bizzum wrote: »
    Blonde cow again with her Inra heifer calf by Ulrich about a week old.
    Out at grass now.

Powerful cow, looking forward to seeing a pic of that calf at a few months old!!

Powerful cow, looking forward to seeing a pic of that calf at a few months old!!

It's the first Inra calf we had, just tried one. Be interesting alright!
    Here's a better pic of the cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

I could look at the picture of that cow all day! Classy, stylish...
    It's having animals like that, or close to it, is the reason that I absolutely love farming. You won't get rich on it but going out for a walk in the field and seeing nice cattle is better than anything money can buy (a new Red Audi A4 aside!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Some looking cow you have there!! Looks to have plenty milk, is she pb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Muckit wrote: »
    28mths. You'd nearly be getting that money for 12mth old cattle. There's the difference between a good and a bad farmer

That in Ballinasloe Wednesday Muckit? Big sale? High prices?

johnpawl wrote: »
    Some looking cow you have there!! Looks to have plenty milk, is she pb

She's by the Blonde bull Landais out of a PB Newlook Charolais heifer. So she's 50/50 Ba/Ch. I think that's her 3rd calf. Hard to know what to cross on her to get a replacement heifer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

wow! some tank of a cow! Great thickness in the calf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

She's by the Blonde bull Landais out of a PB Newlook Charolais heifer. So she's 50/50 Ba/Ch. I think that's her 3rd calf. Hard to know what to cross on her to get a replacement heifer.

seen a few blonde x british friesan second calvers for sale in calf to PB blonde stock bull, wonder what sort cows they would make

• Advertisement

hugo29 wrote: »
    seen a few blonde x british friesan second calvers for sale in calf to PB blonde stock bull, wonder what sort cows they would make

Who knows. I dont tend to get too hung up a particular breed, even though we have several v good Bax cows.
    We would look for body and length in a cow. If she brings enough milk its good, if she's carrying a bit of muscle in her genes good. If shes quiet good.
    The cows that last have these traits, and breed well, go back to the bull and make a decent stab at calving when it's time.

We dont ask for much:).

And we do have the odd poor cow too, but their days are numbered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Who knows. I dont tend to get too hung up a particular breed, even though we have several v good Bax cows.
    We would look for body and length in a cow. If she brings enough milk its good, if she's carrying a bit of muscle in her genes good. If shes quiet good.
    The cows that last have these traits, and breed well, go back to the bull and make a decent stab at calving when it's time.

We dont ask for much:).

And we do have the odd poor cow too, but their days are numbered!

what i was thinking was if they are carrying to a good Blonde bull, they might produce some quality heifers which would have 3/4 Blonde and 1/4 Fr breeding,
    hard to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Bizzum
    That blonde charolais cross is bringing nice stock so why not cross over and back, if you know what I mean. Charolais weanlings are achieving a €100/head premium in ennis mart and that cross is producing the right colour weanling.

Why not short list a few bulls that you fancy, look at her figures on ICBF and match her to the bull that us the best match? Have you considered parthenaise?

hugo29 wrote: »
    what i was thinking was if they are carrying to a good Blonde bull, they might produce some quality heifers which would have 3/4 Blonde and 1/4 Fr breeding,
    hard to know

Sounds like a plan! A wet day like this is a good day to be off looking at stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Versatile 935 with a heavy harrow getting ready to give the stubble a rub before winter

2013+-+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Cran wrote: »
    Getting geared up for rams going out here so thought would post some pictures I have of a couple of rams on the farm, break up the cattle pics a little :)

First two 2013 April born lamb just back from Sheep Ireland yesterday, 3rd Lleyn ram lamb bought this year, final two my Charollais stock rams as lambs.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Lovely stock Cran .
    Great to see a few sheep pics ...

Have you all the rams out ???
    Won't let mine loose for another ten days or so ..

Bought this hogget ram last week to put with a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

LGL heifer calf in for blackleg vaccination, dehorning and tagging good calf i think shes nearly as good as a blue
    20kg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

limo_100 wrote: »
    LGL heifer calf in for blackleg vaccination, dehorning and tagging good calf i think shes nearly as good as a blue
    20kg.jpg

Charolais are back in fashion :-) more markets, more options

She's a smasher - how old is she? I'd normally leave blackleg till they're 6-8wks old

What's the cow like? What breeding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Lovely stock Cran .
    Great to see a few sheep pics ...

Have you all the rams out ???
    Won't let mine loose for another ten days or so ..

Only with the early pedigrees 20 ewes, first time lambing early for years. Rest go out full bang 3rd November. Never thought of taking pics today as picked out the Mule X Lleyn ewe lambs for the ram really happy with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

Richk2012 wrote: »

Is he for the hill or do Cheviots stay down for the winter, no idea of hill farming:confused: he has great length always surprised how big they are

Cran wrote: »
    Is he for the hill or do Cheviots stay down for the winter, no idea of hill farming:confused: he has great length always surprised how big they are

Ah were not proper hill farming as such , quite high above sea level but its not rough terrain ..

Yea there big alright .
    Got that lad cos of his length and tight fleece which some of them don't have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

He's a fine sheep Rich, good luck with him. There were Cheviots in Maam Cross today down from Kildare, some big lads in it.

just do it wrote: »
    What's the cow like? What breeding?

shes 3 weeks old now the cow is NWK of a black whited cow heres a pic of the cow a day or 2after calving.
    svxj.jpg
    sorry 4 the late reply had a session las nite

shes 3 weeks old now the cow is NWK of a black whited cow heres a pic of the cow a day or 2after calving.
    svxj.jpg
    sorry 4 the late reply had a session las nite
    Nice straight cow. The continental out of a black whitehead seems to be a consistent good cross. That bull's daughter CD is 1.5%. She should be able to spit an elephant out!

Anyone else having trouble with the "thank" and "view thanks" buttons on the mobile version? Has been glitchy for a few weeks now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Anyone else having trouble with the "thank" and "view thanks" buttons on the mobile version? Has been glitchy for a few weeks now
    yep and I couldn't add a pic either.

Maybe its just this thread due to its size. Haven't paid that much attention to it though

• Advertisement

Anyone know what this is?

Nice straight cow. The continental out of a black whitehead seems to be a consistent good cross. That bull's daughter CD is 1.5%. She should be able to spit an elephant out!

he just had to put the ropes on her to get the shoulder out and the hips but she probably would have managed id say. she was on bare ground before she calved and was fairly empty after calving but shes picking up condition fairly quickly. I have no white heads any more but i mite get 1 or 2 cause they make great maternal dams. I use to cross her mother with a simmental every second year looking for a heifer but unfortunately she only ever had to that cow and a good brown Simmental i'll put up a picture of her and her calf toworrow she has a great ADX bull calf.

td5man wrote: »
    Its a Friesian weanling heifer before anyone says that. :D

A bad dose of piles. Take her off the guinness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

hardly a savage lump of a wart

hardly a savage lump of a wart
    not sure, had a cow that was covered in warts was wonder ing if this is her calf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

not sure, had a cow that was covered in warts was wonder ing if this is her calf
    the damn things grow fast tho

Looks like a tumour to me

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

Looks like a fungus/wart u will come out some morning and it will have fallen off .... If u can slide ur hand under it there should be a "root" some times u can tie a string around the root to knock off blood supply .....that's my 2 cents anyway, I'm probably wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

Looks like a fungus/wart u will come out some morning and it will have fallen off .... If u can slide ur hand under it there should be a "root" some times u can tie a string around the root to knock off blood supply .....that's my 2 cents anyway, I'm probably wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

Tumor on the Vulva maybe but from what I recall of those they tend to be protruding from the inside to the outside if you know what I mean, Can you lift the tail?
    I recal previously readin Hereford and Freisian are more affected by eye and skin cancers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

A reluctant first time mammy. Hoping she takes to him when sickness goes off her

A reluctant first time mammy. Hoping she takes to him when sickness goes off her

id say she will later on. nice lump of a cow a charolias cow is it or is it blonde?? wats the calf by?

id say she will later on. nice lump of a cow a charolias cow is it or is it blonde?? wats the calf by?

Chx first calver and ozs bull calf. Calved herself. Only let him suck when i put her up crush

Chx first calver and ozs bull calf. Calved herself. Only let him suck when i put her up crush

wen you go out in the morning she be licking him. I have had a few OZS calves very happy with them. Mind you i was the lucky one i got all heifers.

Could take a couple of days. Hopefully the penny will drop and she realises she's a mammy!
    Is she inclined to just ignore the calf or actively attack it?

Could take a couple of days. Hopefully the penny will drop and she realises she's a mammy!
    Is she inclined to just ignore the calf or actively attack it?

She keeps nailing him. Getting milk n to him by putting her up the crush

wen you go out in the morning she be licking him. I have had a few OZS calves very happy with them. Mind you i was the lucky one i got all heifers.

No such luck yet. The b#tch still refusing to be a mammy.

She keeps nailing him. Getting milk n to him by putting her up the crush

I always get them in a small pen and have the calf in the corner of the pen safe behind a gate .
    That way she can't feck off and leave him and she is always with him .
    Are you milking and bottling him or is he sucking???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Throw some bran or meal on the calf. That'll get her licking him at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

the danger is the calf will lose confidence if he keeps getting a belt every time he goes to the bar for a drink

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement