Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

its a pain in the h0le but sure it happens to everyone every so often, you will just have to stand with her be it in the crush and then a pen till it finally clicks, i find if you get cows into a routine where by she gets a bit of meal while calf is sucking it helps too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

adne wrote: »
    No such luck yet. The b#tch still refusing to be a mammy.

Had one like that in spring. It was two days before she finally accepted him. I kept them in half of the creep pen and after she calmed down she was grand. When you say nailing him do you mean even when he's not sucking? If so what Rich2012 suggested should work.

its a pain in the h0le but sure it happens to everyone every so often, you will just have to stand with her be it in the crush and then a pen till it finally clicks, i find if you get cows into a routine where by she gets a bit of meal while calf is sucking it helps too

Some things take time alright. I had twin LM calves bull and heifer, from GWO at the beginning of September and the bull calf couldn't stand up at all. Here is a pic of what I had to do to get him sucking.

277113.JPG

I had to prop him up on an old drum and balance him on it until he sucked enough for the first three days before he was strong enough to stand on his own. It was worth all the hassle because this was them about 3 weeks later.

277114.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Some things take time alright. I had twin LM calves bull and heifer, from GWO at the beginning of September and the bull calf couldn't stand up at all. Here is a pic of what I had to do to get him sucking.

I had to prop him up on an old drum and balance him on it until he sucked enough for the first three days before he was strong enough to stand on his own. It was worth all the hassle because this was them about 3 weeks later.

massive cow there towzer, simm is she?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Had one like that in spring. It was two days before she finally accepted him. I kept them in half of the creep pen and after she calmed down she was grand. When you say nailing him do you mean even when he's not sucking? If so what Rich2012 suggested should work.

Lads I know nothing about sucklers but the uncle has a pen with a 3/4 gate in it close to a corner. When cow is penned by the gate her udder is still available to the calf. a bit of meal to take her mind off what's going on I think helps also.

massive cow there towzer, simm is she?

Yes she's a HKG Sim out of a sim and she was out of a bf cow. Brilliant cow to breed. I wish I had 30 more like her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

I find this fierce handy for a heifer that rejects a calf .
    Its originally for cows that are calving and need to be jacked .
    Its no major problem if they drop down onto the ground when the pressure comes on .

Its a cow bail secured into a steel frame .
    The frame is on hinges so it can be folded away when not in use ..

The bail can swivel so allows the cow movement if she goes down at an awkward angle .

The tubular gate can be taken on and off quickly by sliding the sleeve up or down .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Great job!!

Interested to know how that headgate works, what does it look like when opened, have you a pic? Never seen one like that before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭eire23

DSCF1832_zps8a639f79.jpg
    The boys lining up for the ladies! letting them out next week all going well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Supervision is enough tonite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

eire23 wrote: »
    DSCF1832_zps8a639f79.jpg
    The boys lining up for the ladies! letting them out next week all going well

fine sheep Eire, whos breeding have ya got there?

Muckit wrote: »
    Great job!!

Interested to know how that headgate works, what does it look like when opened, have you a pic? Never seen one like that before...

The bale just opens from the top , and is in a V shape when open .

I have a piece of rope tied to the open bar so when the cow puts her head through i pull it to snap shut .

Its nothin fancy but does the job and it is alot safer having them restrained when using the jack ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭eire23

razor8 wrote: »
    fine sheep Eire, whos breeding have ya got there?

Wouldnt be able to tell ya razor, one was bought in ballina as a lamb and he was only selling him on, the other two were bought in manorhamilton of what i persume were dealers. They are all non registered so no papers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Nearly six weeks sowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Richk2012 wrote: »
    The bale just opens from the top , and is in a V shape when open .

I have a piece of rope tied to the open bar so when the cow puts her head through i pull it to snap shut .

Its nothin fancy but does the job and it is alot safer having them restrained when using the jack ..

Is it just the galvanised bar with the rope out of it that opens out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Off on their holidays this evening :D The two heifers are twins off Crossmolina Euro, the LM off ERE and the CH off PIO. He's only an April calf, be interesting to see how he fairs next to the LM which was a March calf.

ocqc.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

vbdd.jpg

1nw4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

New simmental bull in NCBC

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Off on their holidays this evening :D The two heifers are twins off Crossmolina Euro, the LM off ERE and the CH off PIO. He's only an April calf, be interesting to see how he fairs next to the LM which was a March calf.

Anyone feel like having a guess at weights and prices:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Red Lim 380 Kgs, €1150. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

277114.JPG
    Fair duece Towzer. The likes of that heifer is what I consider to be an ideal replacement, pity she's a freemartin!

• Advertisement

Marooned75 wrote: »
    Nearly six weeks sowed
    Coming nicely Marooned. Will you spray and get a graze in?

Weanlings moving onto my reseed on Saturday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

just do it wrote: »
    Fair duece Towzer. The likes of that heifer is what I consider to be an ideal replacement, pity she's a freemartin!

has anyone actually ever tried breeding one, i have a smashing BB heifer out of a super sim cow but is also a twin to a bull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

eire23 wrote: »
    Wouldnt be able to tell ya razor, one was bought in ballina as a lamb and he was only selling him on, the other two were bought in manorhamilton of what i persume were dealers. They are all non registered so no papers

there not lacking condition, lad at back looks fine shape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Averages of 350kg and €970 ?

Red Lim 380 Kgs, €1150. :rolleyes:

I wish, they were at the back end of the sale so dropped a bit of money.
    White twin hf- 285kg €730
    Red bull- 365kg €970
    Ch bull 390kg €955
    Creamy twin hf 340kg €860

Can't complain about the creamy twin, her twin made €1160 a couple of weeks ago. Cow will be getting a good pat this year:D

hugo29 wrote: »
    has anyone actually ever tried breeding one, i have a smashing BB heifer out of a super sim cow but is also a twin to a bull

It's been discussed on here before. Around 95-97% are freemartins so there is a slim chance. I suppose you could have your vet handle her next time he's in the yard.

I wish, they were at the back end of the sale so dropped a bit of money.
    White twin hf- 285kg €730
    Red bull- 365kg €970
    Ch bull 390kg €955
    Creamy twin hf 340kg €860

Can't complain about the creamy twin, her twin made €1160 a couple of weeks ago. Cow will be getting a good pat this year:D

LIM BULL did well in comparison to the heavier CH bull

LIM BULL did well in comparison to the heavier CH bull

He was a classier animal to be fair, the ch went back a bit with pneumonia as a calf. I posted a pic of him when he was born, i've never seen a bigger calf!

Ya that's what I was hoping for as well. I used a lot of maternal bulls this autumn to try and breed replacements. Only three heifers excluding that freemartin so far though.

I was hoping for a heifer on this one calved yesterday morning as well but its a bull out of the Shorthorn CZB. I thought the SH cross from a CH cow could be a good replacement.

277429.JPG

My vet reckoned that he has seen some bred but he said the possibility is very low and fertility in general would be a problem as she got older.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Coming nicely Marooned. Will you spray and get a graze in?

Weanlings moving onto my reseed on Saturday...

Thanks JDI no wont get either here was always a bit soft on top the heavy rain has around here has left it to soft to do both.The advice in getting is to leave it till march April light graze then cut for silage.Neighbour always does it that way he said if I tried anything with it now I'd make a dogs dinner of it that method works well for him,disc and power harrow and leave till spring.Will spot spray if weeds get bad in places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

if the calves have there own water bags then the heifer calf will breed but if they share the bag the heifer willbe a free marten

Ya that's what I was hoping for as well. I used a lot of maternal bulls this autumn to try and breed replacements. Only three heifers excluding that freemartin so far though.

I was hoping for a heifer on this one calved yesterday morning as well but its a bull out of the Shorthorn CZB. I thought the SH cross from a CH cow could be a good replacement.
    That's the problem with the maternal bulls isn't it, particularly if you use a breed such as shorthorn. I got luck this spring and have 3 SH heifers from springers. They look like nothing though beside their LM and CH counterparts but I'm hopeful they'll make good replacements. They're nice quiet cattle too which is a big plus in my book. Considering using HF on some autumn heifers but it will come down to the bulls available rather than breed.

That's the problem with the maternal bulls isn't it, particularly if you use a breed such as shorthorn. I got luck this spring and have 3 SH heifers from springers. They look like nothing though beside their LM and CH counterparts but I'm hopeful they'll make good replacements. They're nice quiet cattle too which is a big plus in my book. Considering using HF on some autumn heifers but it will come down to the bulls available rather than breed.

shorthorn are fantastic cows, cross well to CH, never look like the best cow in the field but they more than make up for it,

I hope you don't mean Holstein Friesians:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Its a problem alright but I think you have to try to see what works for you. I'm aiming to breed all my own replacements and I like the shorthorn cow. They are particularly suited to the west or Ireland imo and cross well to Lm.

I hope you don't mean Holstein Friesians:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Its a problem alright but I think you have to try to see what works for you. I'm aiming to breed all my own replacements and I like the shorthorn cow. They are particularly suited to the west or Ireland imo and cross well to Lm.
    Well either those or jerseys :D

Agree with you on the SH xLM cross, and then a terminal CH is the plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

Nice straight cow. The continental out of a black whitehead seems to be a consistent good cross. That bull's daughter CD is 1.5%. She should be able to spit an elephant out!

heres the other cow i off the black whited shes a half sister of that yellow Charolais cow shes off HKG and shes a second calver the calf is by ADX
    1a93.jpg
    r65c.jpg
    49so.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxs4hQ8Yf60

Anyone ever load a bull like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Bizzum wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxs4hQ8Yf60

Anyone ever load a bull like this?
    yup thats the way we load all our bulls:)

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    yup thats the way we load all our bulls:)

I thought you used a water cannon, givin your penchant for the powerhose :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/super-show-cows/5861469

Would it be very cheeky to txt this fella and ask him to put pics of last years calves up here :)

Its close to me so could just go too see them but way out of my price range and imagine he has enough lads hoof kicking as it is,
    Serious looking cows though, and calved E grade calves as heifers.. and 5 months in calf too ADAJIO, are they worth €2k each (my guess)?
    With some prices achieved by some BB breeders on here calves could be worth €1,300+ in Oct next year.

Would it be very cheeky to txt this fella and ask him to put pics of last years calves up here :)

Its close to me so could just go too see them but way out of my price range and imagine he has enough lads hoof kicking as it is,
    Serious looking cows though, and calved E grade calves as heifers.. and 5 months in calf too ADAJIO, are they worth €2k each (my guess)?
    With some prices achieved by some BB breeders on here calves could be worth €1,300+ in Oct next year.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. I'd wonder what bull he used too that produced E grade weanlings and came out unassisted from 2 heifers like that?
    Is adagio a BB? If he is I wouldn't like to be calving them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I'd ask him a number of questions. the first one would be If they are such good cows, why is he selling?

Personally i wouldn't buy them 1. because they would be too heavy for ground around here. 2. They look like the kind of cows that put feeding on their backs instead of into their milk. maybe I'm being pernickidy here, but they just would not be my type of cow.

If you could get access to his ICBF reports, you'll see what last year's calves made, their weight and where they went. This years calves could look great because he may have fed them a lot of meal - also with the good summer, bad calves are rare. It may not be down to the mother at all!

Finally, i wouldn't be putting BB on them - you'd want to be able to do DIY Sections to take that risk!

Agree on a lot of your points and thye wouldn't be for me either but don't a lot of the cows these lads have look somewhat similar
    http://www.jalexherd.com/meet-the-girls
    and they seem to be at the top of their game,
    Do some of the calves in these shots look very big to still be with their mammy's? esp second and third from the bottom.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. I'd wonder what bull he used too that produced E grade weanlings and came out unassisted from 2 heifers like that?
    Is adagio a BB? If he is I wouldn't like to be calving them.

Not a clue, don't know him and he doesnt mention it. Yeh adagio is BB, would rather be buying them with the calf at foot alright...

• Advertisement

Instead of him throwin you a bit of luck if you go for them , get him to throw in the price of a section if there in calf to Adjaio ..
    Have a look at him and his figures on PG website .

Got 6 straws of him last week for and the rep said mature plain cows only ...

I wouldnt chance it .......

Rich, what do you think of "british blue" bull Black n Blue diesel, is there any reason the "english type" has not been used a lot here or is it being used but not called this?
    TBh that taller longer bull appeals a lot more to be than some of the more extreme types, id like height score of 90+..

Rich, what do you think of "british blue" bull Black n Blue diesel, is there any reason the "english type" has not been used a lot here or is it being used but not called this?
    TBh that taller longer bull appeals a lot more to be than some of the more extreme types, id like height score of 90+..

This appeals to me too. I think from memory Ross A is a similar type bull?

This appeals to me too. I think from memory Ross A is a similar type bull?

he is yeh, I also like Heros, Gitan (now dead) and also Bluegrass Cyclone, cant understand why so many of the blues in pics for AI have land in front that seem to be pulling their heads down, maybe its to show more shoulder or something but I much prefer head up stance.

I have a Gitan x PB Sim heifer at home that will be getting AI angus in new year, 1/2 anuus 1/4 BB 1/4 Sim would be nice heifer if got one from it esp with BB having the height of Gitan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

here we go again, one down

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement