Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

here we go again, one down

Just spray paint them neon pink all over Con. Make it easier on yourself:D

wxz9.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

here we go again, one down

I hope ye always tell the mower man about the stone! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

I never done this before, . . . .
    so heres a shot at it. . .

277633.jpg277634.jpg277635.jpg277636.jpg

277632.jpg[IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/2013-10-25 16.56.17.jpg[/IMG]

oops. . . . forgot Ozil

277637.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Damo810 wrote: »
    I hope ye always tell the mower man about the stone! :P

Mower man :D Tractor would need a rock breaker going ahead of him ;)
    Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Just spray paint them neon pink all over Con. Make it easier on yourself:D

wxz9.jpg

Cos then I wouldn't know which week which ewe got tipped nor if they repeated. Besides, we seem to be the talk of the town gossips already, I'll leave the neon pink until after lambing maybe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

oops. . . . forgot Ozil

He looks like an ozil

Muckit wrote: »
    He looks like an ozil

Im telling ya. . . . . i just look at him, and i think. . . . . quietly to myself. . . Ozil. . are you in there. . .

ill see can i get a better pic the weekend. . .

they are more pronounced than that. . .lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I have a Gitan x PB Sim heifer at home that will be getting AI angus in new year, 1/2 anuus 1/4 BB 1/4 Sim would be nice heifer if got one from it esp with BB having the height of Gitan.

Any chance of a photo of that heifer?

50% Lim 25% Sim 25% BB would be a nicer one :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Rich, what do you think of "british blue" bull Black n Blue diesel, is there any reason the "english type" has not been used a lot here or is it being used but not called this?
    TBh that taller longer bull appeals a lot more to be than some of the more extreme types, id like height score of 90+..

I seen that Black and Blue Diesel bull straws advertised before .
    Cant remember how much , but they were pricey enough .

I find it hard to part with more than EUR12 per straw for commercial cows.

I always try to keep replacement heifers out of tall scopey cows , so if they breed back to a blue bull with a less than average height scoring its not a major issue ..

Its hard to get an all rounder with a high muscle score along with height and calving ease .

Iv a couple of Ross Alo calves on the ground now out of blue x cows and they're nice , but no major shape ..
    Only young though , so have to give them a chance ..

To be honest since i started to AI my own cows i dont know what bulls are being used more than others , because i never see any of the technicians anymore .

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Bizzum wrote: »
    Any chance of a photo of that heifer?

50% Lim 25% Sim 25% BB would be a nicer one :-)

It would be and that would the plan next (or blonde) but I want the calving as easy as possible so that's why angus, will put up good pics of her back end shortly and ye lads can say if she would be well able for Lim.

Rich
    Diesel is a bit saucy alright €18, €48 for sexed...
    http://www.semenstore.ie/british-blue/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

oops. . . . forgot Ozil

277637.jpg

hi nbf, nice bullocks there, what age are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MagicManCan

Hey all, im new to this forum as the my auld lad has just starting buying stock this year :) we're only running a small operation as we both work and its more of a hobbie than a full time job. Anyway he bought 5 friesian bull calves last spring and i was wondering what would be the best time to sell? (This spring or next autumn?) Obviously i know they wont be going for huge money but would still appreciate yer input!
    Cheers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Hey all, im new to this forum as the my auld lad has just starting buying stock this year :) we're only running a small operation as we both work and its more of a hobbie than a full time job. Anyway he bought 5 friesian bull calves last spring and i was wondering what would be the best time to sell? (This spring or next autumn?) Obviously i know they wont be going for huge money but would still appreciate yer input!
    Cheers!!

from little acorns grow mighty oaks. best of luck, best time for selling depends on so many factors

from little acorns grow mighty oaks. best of luck, best time for selling depends on so many factors
    Thanks for the reply, just hoping you could name some of these factors? :)

massey265 wrote: »
    hi nbf, nice bullocks there, what age are they?

avg 19 months. . . . will be all going on the mkt a week today.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭farmernewbie

Hi NBF,

Can you stick up weights and prices next week....I have a few to go in few weeks time. Similar age but don't think as heavy or good quality as a few of yours.

Just see your two user names together there lads .
    Just wondering a few things if you don't mind ..

How long are you farming ?
    Are you from a farming background ?
    What sort of farming ?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭farmernewbie

Hi Richk2012,

Just took over this year but have always helped out as father was in bad health last few years. Small 40 acre farm. I hope to buy bullocks in March and sell Nov. That's what we have been doing last few years.

I have off farm job. Hope to invest abit on reseeding and the likes over the next few years.

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Just see your two user names together there lads .
    Just wondering a few things if you don't mind ..

How long are you farming ?
    Are you from a farming background ?
    What sort of farming ?

almost identical situation, small farm holding, fathers got unwell in 2008, he had cattle up to 2010, i took it on in 2011, he past away in 2012.

3rd year coming to an end. i also have a full time job,
    why do i do it? . . . im stuck at a desk all day, and out in the summer evenings is enjoyable.

i buy in Feb/mar. .. sell Oct/Nov. . .. why?. . busy time at work is Nov to Feb. . . late home etc. . . .

I have no slat house. . . i dont have a tractor capable of handling a bale of silage. . . .

i refuse to even make an effort of feeding a few bullocks over the winter, as if im going to do it, then i need a good number to make it worth while, .. and im not mucking out for 2 hrs each eve from 10 bullocks. then feed them.

I think the summer grazing ( its not summer grazing, its for 7/8 months of the year. .. ) works out well.

we only ever had bullocks here. . . nice quiet bullocks. .
    we have done both fattening for finish and fattening as forward stores. .

im buying in to sell as forward stores the last two years.

i buy my own cattle, bring them home, and i get lad to ship the lot together up to the mart and sell them myself. .

u know the saying, bring a man a fish show a man to fish. . etc. . .
    ive learnt loads.. but u have to stick your head out and be your own boss.

if bullocks where cars. . . id be looking for an animal with no bells or whistles. . . i could buy a 350 kg bullock for 900, and the next one comes in and i can see hes a better bullock. weighting 390 . but. . . just as quick as hes in a fella shoots from the pens in to the ring and starts waving .. . bullock sells for 1280 and he gets him. . . . . .

u must not be fooled thinking your bullock is crap. . . this farm has seen alsorts. . . buying in good animals at top price etc. . buying at low prices for animals with potential.. .. . . . im going back the records now for 1980/1990. . . and trying to do now what we done then. . . . I mean. . in the last 10 years ill have to say dad jumped on the CH & CHX and slightly more money "bandwagon" . . and seen little out of it. . . i seen animals come here at 550KG. . and leave to the factory and loose money.

i say let the dealer who knows the lads in Dawn meets handle the finishing, they get better prices. .

ill bring them from 12 months to 19 months for them

gees look at the time. . . ;) lashing raing here.

must go open a gate to another field.

Good luck.. .

farming would be a breeze if it was for the dept. .. rolleyes.png

• Advertisement

Hi Richk2012,

Just took over this year but have always helped out as father was in bad health last few years. Small 40 acre farm. I hope to buy bullocks in March and sell Nov. That's what we have been doing last few years.

I have off farm job. Hope to invest abit on reseeding and the likes over the next few years.

Fair play .
    Wasn't bring nosey , just really wanted to find where you completely new to it or like most people was it in your family .

Best of luck with it .
    Plenty of experts on here with great advice on all aspects of farming for when you find yourself stuck..

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

avg 19 months. . . . will be all going on the mkt a week today.

Good luck with them at market, I have same age ones but don't think they as heavy as yours but it would be great if you could put up the weights and prices.ps. there is pics off mines up on here a few weeks back.

sure, ill stick up a sample. . . .my avg price per kg same time last year was €2.12. . . . while i think prices are slightly higher this year, id be happy with €2.12

these are ring prices. . . i dont include commission VAT etc.. ..

all my prices on my excel sheets are what i bid and for what the bidder gets them at. . . .

like with like.

check back next weekend. . .

Hey guys/girls, just wondering does anyone on here ever have friesian or angus bull weanlings? wondering how much ye let them go for and their sale weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

This is what happens when you turn too sharp with a tri axle cowbox fully loaded...RIP tyre!!!

photo_zpscad437d0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

This is what happens when you turn too sharp with a tri axle cowbox fully loaded...RIP tyre!!!

photo_zpscad437d0.jpg

Is that from the jeep ? What had you in the trailer

• Advertisement

Kovu is ready to f*ck sh*t up this Halloween weekend.:D

dh75.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

dh75.jpg

Puts me in mind of Terry Pratchetts description of Greebo the witches cat " who as a matter of feline pride would attempt to fight or rape absolutely anything upto and including a four horse logging wagon".:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

moy83 wrote: »
    Is that from the jeep ? What had you in the trailer

Back wheel of the trailer, 6 cows in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

dh75.jpg

looking a pussy on the internet, and I swore I wouldnt:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

Back wheel of the trailer, 6 cows in it.

You want to know hardship, talk to lakill and he ll tell ya a story. Goes along the lines of I think 4 punctures in one day on two different trailers

• Advertisement

mf240 wrote: »
    looking a pussy on the internet, and I swore I wouldnt:mad:

What's your punishment

What's your punishment

He has to watch X-Factor.

He has to watch X-Factor.

For the love of god woman, have mercy

For the love of god woman, have mercy

Someone give that sentence to a Philosopher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

dh75.jpg

that cat looks so like my mates girlfriend its not funny:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Puts me in mind of Terry Pratchetts description of Greebo the witches cat " who as a matter of feline pride would attempt to fight or rape absolutely anything upto and including a four horse logging wagon".:D:D

Oh Terry you gloriously funny bastard you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

dh75.jpg

Bloody Hell, Kovu is a shapeshifter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

No camera and phone was dead..
    Passing a near by reseeded field there is a huge flood in the centre since the rain last week.. There happy as anything was a Heron perched thinking he was in for a feast in his new found lake..

Field is a mess... drainage was done pre reeseeding but looked like a load of messing... Machine has been back already since reseeding and still there is a new lake.. Whoever was in charge of the drainage needed a kick in the hole.. looked like maybe 400m shore with a 3" pipe, all dips and hollows and only about 6" of stone over it.. 3 ft deep and backfilled to the top with clay.. How on god's green earth is the surface water to get down to the drainage !!

I'm thinking it was a hired Ex130 and farmer driven, alot of money wasted.

bbam wrote: »
    No camera and phone was dead..
    Passing a near by reseeded field there is a huge flood in the centre since the rain last week.. There happy as anything was a Heron perched thinking he was in for a feast in his new found lake..

Field is a mess... drainage was done pre reeseeding but looked like a load of messing... Machine has been back already since reseeding and still there is a new lake.. Whoever was in charge of the drainage needed a kick in the hole.. looked like maybe 400m shore with a 3" pipe, all dips and hollows and only about 6" of stone over it.. 3 ft deep and backfilled to the top with clay.. How on god's green earth is the surface water to get down to the drainage !!

Noticing a lot of standing water in fields around here too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

bbam wrote: »

Penny sound, pound foolish

• Advertisement

Was putting in a drain and thought the fall of ground was the opposite to the experienced digger driver. He's been doing farm drainage for 2 decades at this stage so I went with his opinion. Drain working a treat now.

just do it wrote: »
    Was putting in a drain and thought the fall of ground was the opposite to the experienced digger driver. He's been doing farm drainage for 2 decades at this stage so I went with his opinion. Drain working a treat now.

Ya can't beat experience, most times I go up against the auld lads I'm wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

there's been a lot of talk of stainless tax.....

This is the view from my office door right now

dgoldcrane.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

The magic road effect !

Just carved my very first pumpkin, think he turned out alright! The little one was disappointed she wasn't let carve it, but I got enough trouble at it myself :eek:

Just carved my very first pumpkin, think he turned out alright! The little one was disappointed she wasn't let carve it, but I got enough trouble at it myself :eek:
    good job con

Spooky

im convinced im gonna see this some morning

Spooky

He'd be good with an LED inside, go as the headless horse(less)man :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Excellent job! You seem to be as good with a knife as sharpshooter is with a gun!!

Yer not Fran and Nidge by any chance??!! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement