Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Cf61 heifer I bought off the girlfriends auld lad, Great power about her

good man redz and good luck with her, she a beauty and for E400 you could look at it two ways 1) a topic of conversation with the father in law for years to come and 2) a kind of dowry!! :-)

BFC37B5E_zpsa75ea90f.jpg

one of my springers none too impressed with being on the mountain!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Bodacious wrote: »
    :D She don't look happy, does she?

:D She don't look happy, does she?

no .. she giving me evils..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

How do you find those stones for building with? Stones in my place are dog heads, in that's how a lot of them are shaped, pure f'kin useless for doing anything with.
    Might'nt be the stones Con , you could be just like me and just cant see the right opportunities for the shapes :D
    Ive often throw my hat at fixing up a wall because I cant get the stones to fit any which way at all , then the father has it up perfectly a few days later from the same stone :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

[QUOTE=Bodaci
    one of my springers none too impressed with being on the mountain!![/QUOTE]
    Are you feeding the silage yet that you got dropped onto the mountain ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

moy83 wrote: »
    Might'nt be the stones Con , you could be just like me and just cant see the right opportunities for the shapes :D
    Ive often throw my hat at fixing up a wall because I cant get the stones to fit any which way at all , then the father has it up perfectly a few days later from the same stone :o

Tis the feckin stones :mad:

:D:p

Mind you, the great thing about stone walls is the fences I've put on top. The stakes last forever, even the shítty ones they make now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

My mother is mad for naming cattle, I'll leave it to her!! She cost enough now but I got a good luck penny alright. Stones are lovely for building, really grip into each other.

moy83 wrote: »
    Are you feeding the silage yet that you got dropped onto the mountain ?

No hopefully hold out into December anyway depending on the weather. just threw 8 cows onto another part of it, ran single strand of temporary electric fence and make them eat it, furze taking over.. only try them out for 2 weeks .. if they start to melt ill take them in off of it as wouldn't let them go backwards these time of year and couple of them (one in pic) start calving mid january

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

No hopefully hold out into December anyway depending on the weather. just threw 8 cows onto another part of it, ran single strand of temporary electric fence and make them eat it, furze taking over.. only try them out for 2 weeks .. if they start to melt ill take them in off of it as wouldn't let them go backwards these time of year and couple of them (one in pic) start calving mid january

Last year with the fodder shortage we rented rough rocky ground (17 acres) and left the cows out on it till end of December. 8 cows. Instead of putting bales in, we gave them 20kg of meal a day. It worked the finest - they actually put on condition. We also had no calving problems in spring with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

BFC37B5E_zpsa75ea90f.jpg

Give her a few days up to her knees on our heavy daub ground and she'd be much happier to be on the mountain.. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

A few of my store bullocks grazing a fresh paddock this morning - only about 8 days grass left now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Pharaoh1 wrote: »
    A few of my store bullocks grazing a fresh paddock this morning - only about 8 days grass left now

fine looking bunch of cattle and great looking land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Nice cattle are they getting anything at grass

I'm fortunate to have well drained land no poaching but I'm strip grazing a bit every day.
    I was giving this group of 15 a 25kg bag of ration every day for the last 4 weeks or so.
    They are getting a bag and a half now - a little over 2kg per head and will be sold in the next week.
    Last group sold a week ago weighed 530kg avg and made 1225 euro.
    Happy enough with weight gain at grass at around 230kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Hard to believe it's well into November in that photo. Only the angle of the sun giving it away. Lovely stock. I'll take those golden charolais off ya at that money :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

starting new shed
    cjle.jpg
    r0v1.jpg

a bit of drainage and ditch cleaning
    k5h7.jpg
    msvr.jpg
    2wdl.jpg

Muckit wrote: »
    Hard to believe it's well into November in that photo. Only the angle of the sun giving it away. Lovely stock. I'll take those golden charolais off ya at that money :-)

I think this bunch are a bit heavier overall so I might want a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

CF52 cow with 3 week LGL bull calf .

These 3 ladies all calved within 6 hours of each other on Friday .
    Heading for the last of the grass before being housed

stanflt wrote: »
    starting new shed

Hi Stan. Are they pads for the pillars? Can't really make out what your at from photos. Will the shed have a floor?

• Advertisement

Hi Stan. Are they pads for the pillars? Can't really make out what your at from photos. Will the shed have a floor?[/QUOTE

yeah pads are for pillars 120*78 with a 9"6 by 14"6 by 160 feet tank going in the opposite direction at the fromt which will also be covered eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

Big shed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

starting new shed
    cjle.jpg
    r0v1.jpg

k5h7.jpg
    msvr.jpg
    2wdl.jpg

Is that a Macrete tank stan?
    If so, are they 4, 5 or 6 meter high panels.

Big shed

120 cubicles and 6 loose bedded pens for calving or leaving a bull with a cow overnight

steel work only this year- tank next and finished in 2015- cashflow permitting

Is that a Macrete tank stan?
    If so, are they 4, 5 or 6 meter high panels.

only 5

120 cubicles and 6 loose bedded pens for calving or leaving a bull with a cow overnight

impressive

impressive

milk price needs to remain good

milk price needs to remain good
    i was gonna say something like that but didnt want to jinx it

Wow. Will you be operating as a one man show? Seems you'I be milking a lot of cows if your expanding by 120!! I suppose some of these are for heifers

Wow. Will you be operating as a one man show? Seems you'I be milking a lot of cows if your expanding by 120!! I suppose some of these are for heifers

myself my brother and my father
    hope to go to 240

will need the same for heifers

• Advertisement

hope to go to 240

best of luck with the plans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

hope to go to 240

Other than the zero we've about the same herd size ;)

thanks

currently have 120 cows and 140 heifers under 2yo

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

hope to go to 240

If there's 3 families to be kept you'll need at least the 240 cows i would have thought!! Best of luck with the plans!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

is doing capital work with cashflow a wise idea especially with expanding herds, personally dont think it is and much prefer to have a loan spanning the lifespan if possible of capital work.

Inside and nice a cosy for a few months :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

is doing capital work with cashflow a wise idea especially with expanding herds, personally dont think it is and much prefer to have a loan spanning the lifespan if possible of capital work.

Stan mentioned before that the shed is only costing him 18k, with the milkprice like it is now that sort of money would be very manageable straight from cashflow with his volume of milk. Actually Stan do ya mind giving a rough breakdown of what the rest the job will cost, if you have worked that far forward yet!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Stan mentioned before that the shed is only costing him 18k, with the milkprice like it is now that sort of money would be very manageable straight from cashflow with his volume of milk. Actually Stan do ya mind giving a rough breakdown of what the rest the job will cost, if you have worked that far forward yet!

tank is 200euro a foot including slats

if no superlevy than it will be finished by april

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

tank is 200euro a foot including slats

if no superlevy than it will be finished by april

That's a good price, what size of slat is that?

msvr.jpg
    I notice the way he's piled the spoil well in from the ditch. I'll be getting my man to do it that way any more as tracking it in along by the ditch only causes an obstacle to surface water trying to run into the ditch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The sheds only a after-thought when you go dropping concrete and digging out tanks/slats etc thats where the money add-up, we put in 90 cubicle spaces into an existing shed this year came to 20,000 all-in but that was just for cubicles/mats/concrete for cubicle beds and passageway with us doing all the labour except for a local lad that done the finishing on the concrete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

just do it wrote: »
    I notice the way he's piled the spoil well in from the ditch. I'll be getting my man to do it that way any more as tracking it in along by the ditch only causes an obstacle to surface water trying to run into the ditch.

It also means you can clean any bits that gather up in the bottom with tracking the other stuff allover the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

Inside and nice a cosy for a few months :D
    where did you get the trough sharp? If you dont mind me asking.
    Been looking for one like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

jersey101 wrote: »

it looks like an 8foot gibney one cause i have one :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

limo_100 wrote: »
    it looks like an 8foot gibney one cause i have one :)

seen tge plastic jfc ones and there 80 euro. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Stan mentioned before that the shed is only costing him 18k, with the milkprice like it is now that sort of money would be very manageable straight from cashflow with his volume of milk.

irrespective I still like to keep my cash for running the business, if next year came as a disaster (hope not) then you can be really caught with your pants down. Funding capital with cash will get up the noses of lots of financial buffs:rolleyes:. I can think of better things to do with cash that will generate money at farm level than pouring it into the ground, this is what I use long term loans for. The longer the better. I have never found sheds to build expensive its whats underground or the fit out that cost the serious bucks. I priced up a tank last week 120* 28 and its costing €50k incl vat all in for full spec, allowing 6k for digging and rock breaking and 2k for engineer/insurance, which must be on the money as it works out similar price to 200 a foot that stan gave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

seen tge plastic jfc ones and there 80 euro. :o

the gibney is around 50 or 60 and the 4foot one is 35 so there good value i think. JFC are very expensive for everything

Only for use with light stock though like in the picture. I speak from experience :rolleyes:

its a gibney 8ft trough, cost 50 euro so good value. As mentioned before it is a little light and wouldnt take a 400-500kg animal landing on it but not bad for the money in fairness and asyou see the pen aint too tight so the weanlings shouldnt be on top of it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement