Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Bodacious wrote: »
    No hopefully hold out into December anyway depending on the weather. just threw 8 cows onto another part of it, ran single strand of temporary electric fence and make them eat it, furze taking over.. only try them out for 2 weeks .. if they start to melt ill take them in off of it as wouldn't let them go backwards these time of year and couple of them (one in pic) start calving mid january

they still sticking it well:)

E76D04FB_zps42d51f13.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

E76D04FB_zps42d51f13.jpg

God you have them in great order. Be interesting to post a picture next spring to see how they fair out

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

irrespective I still like to keep my cash for running the business, if next year came as a disaster (hope not) then you can be really caught with your pants down. Funding capital with cash will get up the noses of lots of financial buffs:rolleyes:. I can think of better things to do with cash that will generate money at farm level than pouring it into the ground, this is what I use long term loans for. The longer the better. I have never found sheds to build expensive its whats underground or the fit out that cost the serious bucks. I priced up a tank last week 120* 28 and its costing €50k incl vat all in for full spec, allowing 6k for digging and rock breaking and 2k for engineer/insurance, which must be on the money as it works out similar price to 200 a foot that stan gave.

Everything we do is funded by cash flow. Keeps the mattress from getting too lumpy and uncomfortable:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

E76D04FB_zps42d51f13.jpg

You have a good piece of hill for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

irrespective I still like to keep my cash for running the business, if next year came as a disaster (hope not) then you can be really caught with your pants down. Funding capital with cash will get up the noses of lots of financial buffs:rolleyes:. I can think of better things to do with cash that will generate money at farm level than pouring it into the ground, this is what I use long term loans for. The longer the better. I have never found sheds to build expensive its whats underground or the fit out that cost the serious bucks. I priced up a tank last week 120* 28 and its costing €50k incl vat all in for full spec, allowing 6k for digging and rock breaking and 2k for engineer/insurance, which must be on the money as it works out similar price to 200 a foot that stan gave.

Depends on how much loans etc you have already, on a good year it might be easier crack on with the cash you have rather than trying to beg the bank to lend you more, and missing the chance at a point in time, but i see your point because we have done it a few years ago with a shed and it left things harder the following year, but at the same time its one loan less now

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

stanflt wrote: »
    tank is 200euro a foot including slats

Stan does this work out better value than your overground tank you have in place already, would it be cheaper to put up a second tank and scraped passage?

Muckit wrote: »
    God you have them in great order. Be interesting to post a picture next spring to see how they fair out

ill hold them there for only 3 weeks to stretch out the winterage where I usually feed them, I don't plan on feeding them in it as place is too awkward to ferry lots of bales up to them and I wouldn't want to let them slip conditionwise this time of year either as all I feed is haylage and avoid feeding concentrates to cows, I only feed a Fr X rearing twins

ive bales put up high in another place for few 1.5 year bulling heifers.

You have a good piece of hill for them.

hi Con,

its very bad with furze now as a result of undergrazing, no sheep ever on it ever just few ponies and cattle years back, cannot burn furze as probably a hundred or more household water pipes heading to the lake = disaster!!!!

few grand on grazon 90 and knapsacks or a team of men with thick gloves and loppers, neither likely to happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

ill hold them there for only 3 weeks to stretch out the winterage where I usually feed them, I don't plan on feeding them in it as place is too awkward to ferry lots of bales up to them and I wouldn't want to let them slip conditionwise this time of year either as all I feed is haylage and avoid feeding concentrates to cows, I only feed a Fr X rearing twins

ive bales put up high in another place for few 1.5 year bulling heifers.

We are gone the other way with the winterages around here, only feed concentrates and dont bother with hay or silage to the cows any more. I suppose our winterages would be a lot drier alright though.

hi Con,

its very bad with furze now as a result of undergrazing, no sheep ever on it ever just few ponies and cattle years back, cannot burn furze as probably a hundred or more household water pipes heading to the lake = disaster!!!!

few grand on grazon 90 and knapsacks or a team of men with thick gloves and loppers, neither likely to happen!

Yeah, same as a lot of other places. The pipes are a pain, the cops were around here last year or the year before when a big piece of the hill was burnt and pipes with it.

I saw a yoke on DD, a robotic flail mower specially for slopes, any use :D

• Advertisement

We are gone the other way with the winterages around here, only feed concentrates and dont bother with hay or silage to the cows any more. I suppose our winterages would be a lot drier alright though.

yours is a great scheme .. was reading up on it from the start. Wish they could invent a similar scheme for these commonages, looks like they saying in farming indo today that there will be something down the line to make/reward shareholders in such commonages to work together for the common good in such tracts of land.

my old neighbour /advisor tells me if they leaving big high healthy shxts after them that they are doing alright!!

he used to graze the life out of it with cows/calves and keep the good ground for grazing yearlings and 2 year olds for selling

I might have to sell the commercials and try out a herd of dexters and a bull on it and keep our own land for finishing/producing silage!! start up my own brand of dexter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

my old neighbour /advisor tells me if they leaving big high healthy shxts after them that they are doing alright!!
    The vioce of experience.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

yours is a great scheme .. was reading up on it from the start. Wish they could invent a similar scheme for these commonages, looks like they saying in farming indo today that there will be something down the line to make/reward shareholders in such commonages to work together for the common good in such tracts of land.

he used to graze the life out of it with cows/calves and keep the good ground for grazing yearlings and 2 year olds for selling

I might have to sell the commercials and try out a herd of dexters and a bull on it and keep our own land for finishing/producing silage!! start up my own brand of dexter!

were can you read up on the winterage that redzer has sounds interesting theres notting like that in these parts pity cause you'd probably end up with much healthier livestock

limo_100 wrote: »
    were can you read up on the winterage that redzer has sounds interesting theres notting like that in these parts pity cause you'd probably end up with much healthier livestock

Its called the Burren Farming for Conservation programme. If you google it you will get plenty of hits and articles from papers. The website is here http://www.burrenlife.com/

Short youtube clip about it.

Its called the Burren Farming for Conservation programme. If you google it you will get plenty of hits and articles from papers. The website is here http://www.burrenlife.com/

Short youtube clip about it.

I hear good things about it. There are, and will be more in the future, Agri Environmental schemes based loosely on it. I say loosely as there is no one size fits all scheme for every type of environment.

I hear good things about it. There are, and will be more in the future, Agri Environmental schemes based loosely on it. I say loosely as there is no one size fits all scheme for every type of environment.

can you not use conmaicne mara in the same way or do i not not have a clue what im talking bout??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

Yeah, same as a lot of other places. The pipes are a pain, the cops were around here last year or the year before when a big piece of the hill was burnt and pipes with it.

I saw a yoke on DD, a robotic flail mower specially for slopes, any use :D
    Have ya sorted lad....Ill call in the combat engineers ;)

can you not use conmaicne mara in the same way or do i not not have a clue what im talking bout??

Most of the Burren, I believe, is fenced. Most of the uplands of Connemara, aren't :) Schemes so far would see Winter grazing in the Burren, while Summer grazing would probably be favoured on the hills. Am open to correction on any of that :D

Most of the Burren, I believe, is fenced. Most of the uplands of Connemara, aren't :) Schemes so far would see Winter grazing in the Burren, while Summer grazing would probably be favoured on the hills. Am open to correction on any of that :D

What makes it so successful is that ever farm has it's on individual plan tailored specifically for it. There is no one size fits all like reps or aeos. They encourage summer grazing on some of the better winterages to stop them getting too strong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Have ya sorted lad....Ill call in the combat engineers ;)

You'd have full time work arond here with that machine sharpshooter. She'd make land where god failed I'd say.

You'd have full time work arond here with that machine sharpshooter. She'd make land where god failed I'd say.
    you want to see them chew rocks :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

you want to see them chew rocks :eek:

Bring her on. I've a fair amount of rock out in my place that needs pulverising. It'd make mowing easier next year anyway :-D

Bring her on. I've a fair amount of rock out in my place that needs pulverising. It'd make mowing easier next year anyway :-D
    makes big rocks into lots of little rocks which could be the problem :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

makes big rocks into lots of little rocks which could be the problem :D

Could you sell/give the little rocks to someone that needs lots of rocks.

td5man wrote: »
    Could you sell/give the little rocks to someone that needs lots of rocks.
    :D:D always thinking ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Just downloaded the photobucket app so thought I'd throw up a few pics of farming life nz style!

20131018_174931.jpg
    20131018_175329.jpg
    20131020_141329.jpg
    20131020_141558.jpg
    20131114_112815.jpg

Pics of the contractors mower who did a few bales for us a couple of weeks ago, brand new tractor and triples, third and fourth picture is after it hit the shaft of a well in a neighbours paddock. Wrote off the front mower, bed was screwed. Got 53 bales off 6ha at 800kg wet weight estimated to be 50% dry matter.

20131114_112536.jpg
    The rain maker!

20131114_100116.jpg
    20131114_100059.jpg
    20131114_095952.jpg
    20131114_095719.jpg
    20131114_095628.jpg
    20131114_095546.jpg

Few photos from around the parlour.

1e81d5a43456396bfc39bf4d940cc37c.jpg

The 4WD up in the hills!

20131114_120447.jpg

Me transport around the farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

BOOKS TICKET

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    BOOKS TICKET

I'm sure quadboy will happily let you join him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Looks great, how many cows / acres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

machinery has moved on since i was there, then it was not unusual to see an old Farmall tractor on frontline duties. mind you, that was up the west coast of the south island. Do you still have bobby pens at the end of the road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

Few Bulls in from the cold

220464E4_zps31a48151.jpg

liking this calf more everyday, from a lm x dam, have kept 2 BB calves from her as cows already but this devon calf is big, rangy and stylish animal

Kept her anyway and the one behind her.. she is a bit of a poser when the camera on phone comes out !

0E50F1DF_zps3a7cbf8d.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

plenty of grass
    3rd.JPG

bit of drainage
    46j6.jpg
    pkaq.JPG
    huua.jpg
    hfqr.jpg
    xzmn.jpg

good man stan .. that's some job for backfilling the drains with 3"... what HP is that fiat?

good man stan .. that's some job for backfilling the drains with 3"... what HP is that fiat?

100hp I'd say... she's an old girl, looks in good nick

Hi Stan

I'm very interested in this, as I'm sure a lot of other lads will be. So here are a few questions:
    • Is this a main drain snaking through the wettest low parts?
    • How did you decide what route to take?
    • Will you mole drain into this drain?
    Thanks!

Doesn't it just go to show how important drainage is, even on fairly good land. I'm sure there are lads looking at this thinking why drain a field that has no rushes and that you can drive on in November!!

also stan did you bring the stone up to the very top?

Hi Stan

I'm very interested in this, as I'm sure a lot of other lads will be. So here are a few questions:
    • Is this a main drain snaking through the wettest low parts?
    • How did you decide what route to take?
    • Will you mole drain into this drain?
    Thanks!

Doesn't it just go to show how important drainage is, even on fairly good land. I'm sure there are lads looking at this thinking why drain a field that has no rushes and that you can drive on in November!!

there is already drains in this field but it needed more

yes snake to catch all low spots

route taken by lazer level

yes will mole plough

also stan did you bring the stone up to the very top?

yes up to 4inch from top

she in lovely condition.. that'd suit me down to the ground!!

• Advertisement

she in lovely condition.. that'd suit me down to the ground!!

what kinda tractor do you have bod??

what kinda tractor do you have bod??

I don't at the moment!! sold 165 while back. use contactor to position all bales in winterages at baling.. have all implements for quad sprayer, topper, shaker, chain harrow, roller etc but im going to have to get a tractor soon as certain jobs taking too much of my time.. need tractor and 8ft trailed topper.. thinking of case 885 xl or fiat or deutz.. like the lambourghini also.. I wont go mad as have put a lot into farm in recent years and still have more to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

No matter what happens now we cannot complain about this year back end.
    Grass still plentyful for me thankfully.

280507.jpg

Ye she's a 100 90, I knocked the glass out of the door of her 15+ years ago. :-(

Oh it's been a cracker of a backend, better than the summer in a lot of ways.

Nice cattle there. How much are you mealin them per hd/day?

What age are them bulls? Will they be soon heading for the chop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Oh it's been a cracker of a backend, better than the summer in a lot of ways.

Nice cattle there. How much are you mealin them per hd/day?

What age are them bulls? Will they be soon heading for the chop?

18mth old bullocks, no meal, will give them 2kg a head from when house to feb 1st, wont be ready for off till july next year

Ye she's a 100 90, I knocked the glass out of the door of her 15+ years ago. :-(

more like 20+ i remember perspex in it for a couple of years:P

stanflt wrote: »
    more like 20+ i remember perspex in it for a couple of years:P

It was only after getting the glass replaced when i broke it.

thats always the way

• Advertisement

Did ya see that video of your man on youtube 'reviewing' the 110-90?? He's mowing flat out at a ridiculous speed and looses the glass out of the door! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement