Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I can't even imagine that. I remember someone talking to me about foundations before, sure just go into the field and scoop out the soil and work away.

Had to explain about rock breakers, and explosives :D

I know all about rock in west cork. Never quite went the whole hog of explosives tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I'm sure the owner would take you up on that offer. He said he's never hit rock in his 40years working his farm. He said he thought he hit rock 8 or 9 years ago when digging out for a slatted tank, but is was only a large boulder.

Lovely looking ground.
    Are you still over in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I know all about rock in west cork. Never quite went the whole hog of explosives tho.

Oh yeah, I know of several sites had to be blasted locally for houses.

Lovely looking ground.
    Are you still over in the UK?

No. Came back from Newcastle last night. (Mental city) doing loads of work in NI and some in England and Scotland.

Oh yeah, I know of several sites had to be blasted locally for houses.

Oh, you have the "double hard bastard" rock up yer direction. We only have the "bastard of a rock" type of stuff.

Oh, you have the "double hard bastard" rock up yer direction. We only have the "bastard of a rock" type of stuff.

Yeah, we had to be stubborn and go one step farther ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

what you should do now is fence off the drain, prevent cattle closing it in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Yes I agree. A good day driving stakes with a Mallet is what he needs..... be running back crying to use the spade and dig more drains!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Sounds like you need a spike with a diamond head to make a hole for stakes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

This is a heifer I bought as a weanling. I was going to sell her before she calves because according to ICBF she is only 1 star for maternal and terminal. She is making a nice bag for a 1 star heifer. She is incalf to a blonde

05c8.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

o1cg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

RobinBanks wrote: »
    This is a heifer I bought as a weanling. I was going to sell her before she calves because according to ICBF she is only 1 star for maternal and terminal. She is making a nice bag for a 1 star heifer. She is incalf to a blonde

05c8.jpg

o1cg.jpg

nice heifer, if ya are selling her PM me, might not be to far from you:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Would you of kept her a few years ago (when you hadn't access to the ICBF)?
    Looking at my Herd's profile, Stars are really generally associated with cows with AI or Dairy history, which I find fustrating
    as I've some "poor" cows on Paper, but get good prices from their calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

I think the ICBF star ratings are being read into too much at the present time. They are good for selecting AI bulls.

Looks to be absolutely nothing wrong with that heifer. It will take 10 years for it to start reaping benefits and even at that it will only do so for lads who are consistently using AI or 5 star bulls and are consistent in record keeping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Nothing wrong with that heifer Robin. If she was mine I wouldn't be selling her because of icbf figures. Those icbf figures annoy me anyway. My highest rated cow is only average and one of the lowest rated cows produces the best weanling every year at 365 days interval and has plenty of milk. Her calf was 350kgs at 8 months and went for €910 last week. What more do you need to have a 5* cow????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

J DEERE wrote: »
    I think the ICBF star ratings are being read into too much at the present time. They are good for selecting AI bulls.

Looks to be absolutely nothing wrong with that heifer. It will take 10 years for it to start reaping benefits and even at that it will only do so for lads who are consistently using AI or 5 star bulls and are consistent in record keeping
    Exactly, and even with AI bulls I would prefer to wait untill the reliability figures are well over 70%. No one knows your cows like you do yerself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

she is a good deal milkier than alot of my cows :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I was at a breeding demo in Ennis a few years ago and one of the speakers (Doreen Corridan) I think it was said if you buy something by paper you will have to sell it by post in relation to icbf figures :D A good backup to have if the animal looks the part.

I was at a breeding demo in Ennis a few years ago and one of the speakers (Doreen Corridan) I think it was said if you buy something by paper you will have to sell it by post in relation to icbf figures :D A good backup to have if the animal looks the part.

id have to agree with you on that one red, you cant beat the eye

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that heifer Robin. If she was mine I wouldn't be selling her because of icbf figures. Those icbf figures annoy me anyway. My highest rated cow is only average and one of the lowest rated cows produces the best weanling every year at 365 days interval and has plenty of milk. Her calf was 350kgs at 8 months and went for €910 last week. What more do you need to have a 5* cow????

I agree Towser. She is a good heifer and I had to laugh to myself when I looked at her rating on ICBF. I would only use these ratings for selecting a bull. Also those ICBF figures can be seriously manipulated. I could turn a 1 star heifer into a 5 star fairly quickly by doctoring a few sire details when registering a calf.

As it happens i wont get a chance to sell her. she calved an hour ago. LSX heifer calf. Maybe the ICBF crowd will give this one a chance!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I was about to say Robin that she looked ready to pop with the nice bit of spring she had up:D
    Throw a pic up of the calf when you get a chance. She's a nice looking heifer, actually all of them are!

• Advertisement

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    I was about to say Robin that she looked ready to pop with the nice bit of spring she had up:D
    Throw a pic up of the calf when you get a chance. She's a nice looking heifer, actually all of them are!

I will take a pic tomorrow when there is a bit of light and upload it. The other 2 heifers are a couple of weeks away from calving yet but I post pics of them closer to the time as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I will take a pic tomorrow when there is a bit of light and upload it. The other 2 heifers are a couple of weeks away from calving yet but I post pics of them closer to the time as well.

Is the blue one for calving ? She is a chubby devil !

moy83 wrote: »

was just going to say, keep an eye on her

hugo29 wrote: »
    was just going to say, keep an eye on her

I sold three nice blue heifers to a lad a couple of months ago and met him there this morning . He has them all in calf to a ch stock bull :O
    I told him when he was buying them that an aa would be the right thing to start them off with . I said it again this morn and he said sure the blues will calf anything and anyhow im after buying a calving gate !

I sold three nice blue heifers to a lad a couple of months ago and met him there this morning . He has them all in calf to a ch stock bull :O
    I told him when he was buying them that an aa would be the right thing to start them off with . I said it again this morn and he said sure the blues will calf anything and anyhow im after buying a calving gate !

:D:D:D after buying a calving gate

you should have said "well if thats the case you will be fine" the gate will pull them for you

hugo29 wrote: »
    :D:D:D after buying a calving gate

you should have said "well if thats the case you will be fine" the gate will pull them for you

I more or less did say that , I just know when they come to calving and trouble arrives that I'm going to get the call telling me all about it . Hopefully the vet will have put them straight first about using a ch on them

She is incalf to Queenshead altea (S593). I am worried about her even though she isn't overly muscular, but she is fat. We had a bad experience with a blue heifer years ago that a neighbours sim bull broke into. Calf had to come out the side and ended up losing both the heifer and the calf.

What I do here is restrict feed to the cows / heifers when they come within a month of calving. They get small bit of silage in the morn and then oats and soya. For the rest of the day all they have is straw. I have being able to get the excess weight off the cows prior to calving in previous years but this blue looks to be still a bit fat and is due to calf in the second week of Dec.

She is incalf to Queenshead altea (S593). I am worried about her even though she isn't overly muscular, but she is fat. We had a bad experience with a blue heifer years ago that a neighbours sim bull broke into. Calf had to come out the side and ended up losing both the heifer and the calf.

What I do here is restrict feed to the cows / heifers when they come within a month of calving. They get small bit of silage in the morn and then oats and soya. For the rest of the day all they have is straw. I have being able to get the excess weight off the cows prior to calving in previous years but this blue looks to be still a bit fat and is due to calf in the second week of Dec.

What breed is queenshead ? Im not great with names , I often see names and codes here and im clueless !
    The diet is the job before calving alright .
    Looking at her there I would be thinking she would have been a dinger on the hook young , but I'm no expert either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Queenshead Altea is easy calved - I had 2 of them last year. They came out the size of a sheepdog but grew very fast and well. If you restrict for the few weeks before calving, you won't have a bother!

reilig wrote: »
    Queenshead Altea is easy calved - I had 2 of them last year. They came out the size of a sheepdog but grew very fast and well. If you restrict for the few weeks before calving, you won't have a bother!

Thats good to hear Relig. What breed cows / heifers were yours from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Thats good to hear Relig. What breed cows / heifers were yours from?

2 pedigree limousins. 1 was a heifer.

What breed is queenshead ? Im not great with names , I often see names and codes here and im clueless !
    The diet is the job before calving alright .
    Looking at her there I would be thinking she would have been a dinger on the hook young , but I'm no expert either

He's a LM moy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

He's a LM moy.

Is he 50 yoyos a straw?

Fun with matches. Only a few individual Furze bushes on the go at once. Lots of green stuff and grass not fully dry so plenty of schmoke, all under control.

Muckit wrote: »
    Yes I agree. A good day driving stakes with a Mallet is what he needs..... be running back crying to use the spade and dig more drains!!

Never used a mallet, always either a bar or sledge. Though I'm gone off the sledge now as the matchsticks posting as stakes break too easy. We had a mighty bar once, must have been four inches thick and five feet long, would drive anything. So, mallet might get a chance, use half rounds so not sure would one of those two handled drivers fit over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Fun with matches. Only a few individual Furze bushes on the go at once. Lots of green stuff and grass not fully dry so plenty of schmoke, all under control.

Clannad if they are still about may want that as their next Album cover. If not start selling it in the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Never used a mallet, always either a bar or sledge. Though I'm gone off the sledge now as the matchsticks posting as stakes break too easy. We had a mighty bar once, must have been four inches thick and five feet long, would drive anything. So, mallet might get a chance, use half rounds so not sure would one of those two handled drivers fit over them.

A mallet will be les likely to split the stakes Con, in comparison to a metal sledge / bar.

use half rounds so not sure would one of those two handled drivers fit over them.
    They do , I bought one off adverts last year and wouldnt be without it for any fencing . Especially suits me as I'm a short arse and dont have the reach with the sledge for long posts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

its the 22nov really!!!!

uoua.jpg
    fr1m.jpg
    tyg3.jpg
    fmxg.jpg
    mfh9.jpg

• Advertisement

half barrel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Nearly got away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

2 empty cows in for paring feet this morning.
    Good god that man had muscles:eek: Lifts a cows leg as if it were nothing!

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    2 empty cows in for paring feet this morning.
    Good god that man had muscles:eek: Lifts a cows leg as if it were nothing!

So the girls are in the nailbar getting pampered? !

Should they not be on a trailer to the mart/factory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Funny how the simple things can save a lot of hassle. Used to hang the fence reel from branches etc to keep it from arcing to ground. A bucket with a few stones does the trick.

Funny how the simple things can save a lot of hassle. Used to hang the fence reel from branches etc to keep it from arcing to ground. A bucket with a few stones does the trick.

Sorry l don't get it. Could you not use the reel the other way around......the way it was designed? Start at the hedge. Tie a piece of twine or wire from a branch then hook on insulated handle. Reel out onto posts until you reach live main wire. Lock ratchet on reel, wrap wire on reel around hook a few times and hook onto live wire.

Perhaps there is a good reason why you use the reel the way you do? I just find it hard enough moving reel and stakes without lugging a bucket of stones also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Was at the local agri show yesterday and saw this beast, would love to spend a day working with her. After I took the photo another one came in the same but only in 2WD, some job!

20131123_112018.jpg

Where did you get the bucket ? I could do with a few that size :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

C0N0R wrote: »
    Was at the local agri show yesterday and saw this beast, would love to spend a day working with her. After I took the photo another one came in the same but only in 2WD, some job!

20131123_112018.jpg
    Thats some job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

Theres the first load of straw in :D

Patterson & Maguire at work this evening again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement