Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

just do it wrote: »
    Looking in the opposite direction when visibility is that good the local saying is "there's rain on the way". Good auld Irish optimism :rolleyes:

80 miles as the crow flies, how far away is it by road?

It'd be a fair haul, used to go down to Kerry a good bit a few years ago, it was over three hours to Listowel if I remember right so you could probably say four hours to Dingle. I think it was around 180 miles the journey I used to do. That was before they upgraded the road from Galway to Limerick I think.

Id say about 6 hours!! Have you ever braved the road towards clifden? :D

Did you know.... The N59 was rated as one of the best driving roads in some magazine or programme.... And no, not for 4x4's or tanks :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

What programme was it tanko, not a million miles from me.

You have to have at least 3 250k combine harvesters before you can get on ETTG ;)

It was called Faiscithe as an Talamh. Seamus de burca is the farmer. I thought of you when i was watching it but i doubt you love hardship as much as him:D.
    You should check it out on the TG4 player if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

tanko wrote: »
    It was called Faiscithe as an Talamh. Seamus de burca is the farmer. I thought of you when i was watching it but i doubt you love hardship as much as him:D.

Does this guy have kids and do they speak to him ?

tanko wrote: »

I will check it out when I get a few minutes :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Two dry ladies and their babbies being fed yesterday evening. One is putting up flesh far better than the other.
    7b3a.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

One of the neighbor's sheep managed to get his head wedged in sheep wire, his horns made it bit of a job to get him free.

291gnys.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Very funny, their bloody nutters!!

Did ya click the link to 'Pin the tail on the donkey'? .... ha ha!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

I guess he wasn't bred for his docility!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Damo810 wrote: »
    I guess he wasn't bred for his docility!

What sort of a strap had they on him? There seemed to be something on him between his pelvis and ribcage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Beware of those black limousin's

Muckit wrote: »
    Very funny, their bloody nutters!!

Did ya click the link to 'Pin the tail on the donkey'? .... ha ha!:pac:
    Ya, hilarious !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

The BB calf that was very sick scouring blood at 3 days old outside with cow now.

2 weeks old and not a bother on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

grand calf!

Lovely couple Rich, how old is the cow?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Two dry ladies and their babbies being fed yesterday evening. One is putting up flesh far better than the other.
    7b3a.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There the type of cows I am trying to aspire too - shape and milk. Have a few of them but not enough. What AI bulls do you use? I think you mentioned Malibu before but he is gone. We put Vermeil S666 on a few this year to see what happens. Have a lovely PAM and CVV heifer for the bull next year and a FL25 but she is not as good.

20 years ago we had a good, square Freisan cow for "the house" - she got a limousin bull every year and brough loads of heifers which we all bulled. Their daughters all got limousins and we had nearly 10 of her lineage at one stage - all like yours above - now their is just one left! Combination of c-sections, mastitus and just bad luck cleared them all out. Starting from scratch again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I haven't seen the home place so green and calm in November. Usually you'd have to be scraping the salt off the Windows in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I haven't seen the home place so green and calm in November. Usually you'd have to be scraping the salt off the Windows in the morning.

Nice spot...looks fishy under the hill there too!!!

Nice spot...looks fishy under the hill there too!!!

Pun-tastic!

• Advertisement

Pun-tastic!

I was being serious :D Id have it well tested out if I was as close to it as you are!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Lovely couple Rich, how old is the cow?

That's her 5th calf .
    She is a limousin out of a blue cow .
    Still have her mother here goin strong .
    She is due in 2 weeks .

I was being serious :D Id have it well tested out if I was as close to it as you are!!

I go fishing there about once a week during the summer and autumn. Plenty of mackerel, a good few pollock and the odd wrasse

I go fishing there about once a week during the summer and autumn. Plenty of mackerel, a good few pollock and the odd wrasse

Any bass floating around down there? We have a few up here but they are scarce enough, way more plentiful as you head south. I have wasted many's an hour trying to catch them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Any bass floating around down there? We have a few up here but they are scarce enough, way more plentiful as you head south. I have wasted many's an hour trying to catch them.

It's time well spent Redzer. There's more to fishing than catching a fish :-)

Bizzum wrote: »
    It's time well spent Redzer. There's more to fishing than catching a fish :-)

Yup, generally a long walk and a few thudershowers. Handy if you want a bit of peace and quiet though. I got a run from a tope here during the summer. Best place for mackeral I have found and never met anyone else fishing there.

photo_zps760164c3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Yup, generally a long walk and a few thudershowers. Handy if you want a bit of peace and quiet though. I got a run from a tope here during the summer. Best place for mackeral I have found and never met anyone else fishing there.

photo_zps760164c3.jpg

Is that blackhead, Red?

munkus wrote: »
    Is that blackhead, Red?

Oh jaysus no, youd get no peace in black head even though its only down the road from me, Its a few miles from Doolin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

Oh jaysus no, youd get no peace in black head even though its only down the road from me, Its a few miles from Doolin.
    Dont tell him your secret fishing spot red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Dont tell him your secret fishing spot red
    I'd say that's as much as we'll get out of him (without turning up at his door with a rod and a six pack :))

I'd say that's as much as we'll get out of him (without turning up at his door with a rod and a six pack :))

And a friendly smile :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Twins out of tvr. I was sweating about his calving difficulty so twins might be a god send!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

adne wrote: »
    Twins out of tvr. I was sweating about his calving difficulty so twins might be a god send!!

Fair play adne. Bulls or heifers or both? You could be right about the twins being a help.

Jeez he went from 7.8% to 13.6% difficulty in a year. Fair jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Fair play adne. Bulls or heifers or both? You could be right about the twins being a help.

I know a man who put TVR on six big heifers and had to section all of them.

towzer2010 wrote: »

Hard calving bulls like that are just not worth the hassle.

• Advertisement

Seaba wrote: »
    There the type of cows I am trying to aspire too - shape and milk. Have a few of them but not enough. What AI bulls do you use? I think you mentioned Malibu before but he is gone. We put Vermeil S666 on a few this year to see what happens. Have a lovely PAM and CVV heifer for the bull next year and a FL25 but she is not as good.

20 years ago we had a good, square Freisan cow for "the house" - she got a limousin bull every year and brough loads of heifers which we all bulled. Their daughters all got limousins and we had nearly 10 of her lineage at one stage - all like yours above - now their is just one left! Combination of c-sections, mastitus and just bad luck cleared them all out. Starting from scratch again

I was sure I'd replied to this :pac:

The two cows are PB lm, out of Navarin. Bad feet run in the family hence hoppy-along on the right :/ We also have 2 PAM cows from the same dam sooooo.....half sisters to these. Also reg' too. But the last (heifer) is carrying very heavy to RHF so I'm a little worried about her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Last of them in today motoring away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Well I asked if a MF165 will work a bale splitter and the answer is yes - pretty fast cutting too!

fc8b40d8-5d70-4af8-99cc-8bb34a165f3f_zpsad8ad6cd.jpg

Nice setup. Pops can hang the silage knife up in the collar ties :-)

Muckit wrote: »
    Nice setup. Pops can hang the silage knife up in the collar ties :-)

Pops couldn't be convinced to use one. He's still climbing the step ladder, knife in hand to get on top of them.

This one if over your side.

Will be buying another one of them though - very impressed with this one!

• Advertisement

Oh he'll get sense yet. You'l have to bring him with ya when your visiting the inlaws
    Over Christmas :-)

Fine shed there. Well wear with the new machine. Great job I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

reilig wrote: »
    Well I asked if a MF165 will work a bale splitter and the answer is yes - pretty fast cutting too!

fc8b40d8-5d70-4af8-99cc-8bb34a165f3f_zpsad8ad6cd.jpg

Is that the one ya fitted the valve on

Marooned75 wrote: »
    Is that the one ya fitted the valve on

That's it yea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

reilig wrote: »
    Pops couldn't be convinced to use one. He's still climbing the step ladder, knife in hand to get on top of them.

This one if over your side.

Will be buying another one of them though - very impressed with this one!

when you buy the other one go for the new plastic retaining model, looks the business, you may as well throw the loader on the tractor as well ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03OGLs8qbqw

when you buy the other one go for the new plastic retaining model, looks the business, you may as well throw the loader on the tractor as well ;)
    ya wouldnt be long feeding a few bales with that yoke

That would take all the fun out of farming. There would be no smell of your hands and people would think that you are a lazy git!

You're talking about €3500 at least. I only gave €1300 for mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

that would be a right job have all your cows fed in half an hour, lye off in the tractor then for the rest of the day :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Flashy 165 too - back window and flashing beacon :D

Well wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Reilig
    What's the benefit to it? Surely there will still be a need to fork in/ push in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Reilig
    What's the benefit to it? Surely there will still be a need to fork in/ push in?

sure the splitter will push it in with the tractor

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement