Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

just do it wrote: »
    Reilig
    What's the benefit to it? Surely there will still be a need to fork in/ push in?

Huge benefit to it from our perspective. Where we have this, we have a 4 bay slatted shed and we drop a bale in front of each pen. Cattle eat till they can reach no more, then it has to be pushed in. The boss can't drive (isn't safe on) the tractor but loves the exercise of tipping in a bit of silage with the fork twice a day. However, he struggles with the round of the bale (even the chopped bales) that is left and he does be out of breath. Sometimes he gets thick and despite the warnings, he gets up on the tractor and pushes in the bale with the spike and at the same time he bends a gate or knocks a pillar - the worst thing he ever did was get down off it without putting on the handbrake and it pinned him to a pillar for half an hour when it rolled till a neighbour found him passed out and blue!.

Now with the bale splitter, the bale can chopped down the centre and it spreads out leaving no round that is hard to fork. Then we can split the bale 2 more times - this ensures that no piece of silage remains which is more than 18 or 20 inches long. It's pi$$ easy to fork and the boss has no excuses about having to get up on the tractor.

Another advantage is that we have a pen of light weinlings that only eat half a bale in the week. We can split the bale in half and pick it up with the splitter and move it to the pen of cows that eat a bale and a half in the week.

Another advantage is when you split a bale, it spreads out. It lies just below the height of the barrier. Therefore you can push it right up to the toe boards without having to worry about it being too close and them pulling a load of silage into the slats. This means less forking per bale in the long term. If you leave a full bale too tight to the barrier, they'll pull a good bit of it in.

Another advantage is when you are restricting silage to cows which we do for 6 weeks before calving - it usually means that most of the bale is forked in to them over a number of days - a split bale is far easier to fork to cows than a whole bale!

That's just from my perspective - others may find other benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

reilig wrote: »
    Huge benefit to it from our perspective. Where we have this, we have a 4 bay slatted shed and we drop a bale in front of each pen. Cattle eat till they can reach no more, then it has to be pushed in. The boss can't drive (isn't safe on) the tractor but loves the exercise of tipping in a bit of silage with the fork twice a day. However, he struggles with the round of the bale (even the chopped bales) that is left and he does be out of breath. Sometimes he gets thick and despite the warnings, he gets up on the tractor and pushes in the bale with the spike and at the same time he bends a gate or knocks a pillar - the worst thing he ever did was get down off it without putting on the handbrake and it pinned him to a pillar for half an hour when it rolled till a neighbour found him passed out and blue!.

Now with the bale splitter, the bale can chopped down the centre and it spreads out leaving no round that is hard to fork. Then we can split the bale 2 more times - this ensures that no piece of silage remains which is more than 18 or 20 inches long. It's pi$$ easy to fork and the boss has no excuses about having to get up on the tractor.

Another advantage is that we have a pen of light weinlings that only eat half a bale in the week. We can split the bale in half and pick it up with the splitter and move it to the pen of cows that eat a bale and a half in the week.

Another advantage is when you split a bale, it spreads out. It lies just below the height of the barrier. Therefore you can push it right up to the toe boards without having to worry about it being too close and them pulling a load of silage into the slats. This means less forking per bale in the long term. If you leave a full bale too tight to the barrier, they'll pull a good bit of it in.

Another advantage is when you are restricting silage to cows which we do for 6 weeks before calving - it usually means that most of the bale is forked in to them over a number of days - a split bale is far easier to fork to cows than a whole bale!

That's just from my perspective - others may find other benefits.

fcuk me ud make a serious sales rep;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Thanks reilig. Whatever about the others, the first advantage is priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

hugo29 wrote: »
    fcuk me ud make a serious sales rep;)
    Was thinking the same. Very convincing. I think products will get sold her on here, depending on the Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down from Reilig.

Mchale make great products in fairness to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

that's what its all about tipping away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ha jezz reilig, and I thought the boss around here caused trouble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭adne

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Fair play adne. Bulls or heifers or both? You could be right about the twins being a help.

Jeez he went from 7.8% to 13.6% difficulty in a year. Fair jump.

One of each, ya seemingly he is a disaster for hard calving, know a guy that has had 3 sections from 4 with him.
    The downside of a test bull

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

p2fy.jpg

lbp0.jpg

They are just starting to make there way to barrier after been put back after been squeezed this evening . They are done for tetanus so everything should be ok .
    They rae spread out around shed till other cattle are put in to avoid pneumonia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Are they calving pens in behind?

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Are they calving pens in behind?

They sure are muckit . There used to be a passage way the width of the currogated sliding door on the right which ran the lenght of the 3 pens (meant for feeding meal ) but was good for nothing really. There used to be a wall then seperating this from the cubicle shed so i knocked it with protest from the boss:D. and put in 3 calving pens , a crush with automatic gate that stays open along back wall and a calving head gate and section gate in middle pen .
    works a lot better now . since i opened it all up we have had a massive reduction in pneumonia if any . Having the crush inside is great i can work in comfort in the evenings or when the weather is sh#t#.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

They sure are muckit . There used to be a passage way the width of the currogated sliding door on the right which ran the lenght of the 3 pens (meant for feeding meal ) but was good for nothing really. There used to be a wall then seperating this from the cubicle shed so i knocked it with protest from the boss:D. and put in 3 calving pens , a crush with automatic gate that stays open along back wall and a calving head gate and section gate in middle pen .
    works a lot better now . since i opened it all up we have had a massive reduction in pneumonia if any . Having the crush inside is great i can work in comfort in the evenings or when the weather is sh#t#.

Glad you cleared that up, I was sure I had been in that shed before. I'm Actually still not sure if I was or not:confused:

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Glad you cleared that up, I was sure I had been in that shed before. I'm Actually still not sure if I was or not:confused:

down Mayo side you quiet possibly could have :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

Is that a 300 series massey i see

If there's older suck calves bought in round the place then I have!

Stalking AGAIN :pac:

• Advertisement

Is that a 300 series massey i see

It is ... a 1994 390 2wd with the shuttle gear box bought it new back then(well the boss man did) going like a bomb only 2800 genuine hours on her and no she is not for sale...:D

That will be a no then cant remember the last time we bought in suck calves .. must be 15 yrs maybe 20

It is ... a 1994 390 2wd with the shuttle gear box bought it new back then(well the boss man did) going like a bomb only 2800 genuine hours on her and no she is not for sale...:D
    No ive a 398 myself, not gonna change her

Thanks renandstimpy. Was wrecking my brains there to try and remember the other shed layout. It was shockingly similar.

No ive a 398 myself, not gonna change her

There a good all round tractor in fairness .. the only thing is i would like sometime down the line a front loader ..not a necessity but it would save me a lot of time and labour round the place . but to be honest cant see myself putting one on her being that she is a 2 wd .

• Advertisement

There a good all round tractor in fairness .. the only thing is i would like sometime down the line a front loader ..not a necessity but it would save me a lot of time and labour round the place . but to be honest cant see myself putting one on her being that she is a 2 wd .
    ive a loader on mine and its a great job. if your putting a loader on a 300 series you really need 4wd IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Neighbour has one took loader off it made sh1t of it alright for bales of hay and straw,silage bales fcuked it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

That's it yea!

Hi there reilig, does the 165 handle the round bales of silage ok?.I think they put awful pressure on the hydraulics. Wud make it lift the odd time

Hi there reilig, does the 165 handle the round bales of silage ok?.I think they put awful pressure on the hydraulics. Wud make it lift the odd time

The 165 is a square axel with a fairly heavy front end - well it's heavier than the round axel one that we used to have anyway. Bales are made by a Mchale. They are wilted as they got a run with a wuffler before baling. Tractor has no bother lifting them at all.

Up to 7 years ago we were putting bales in to this shed with a MF 35. That's where you would see pressure on hydraulics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

The 165 is a square axel with a fairly heavy front end - well it's heavier than the round axel one that we used to have anyway. Bales are made by a Mchale. They are wilted as they got a run with a wuffler before baling. Tractor has no bother lifting them at all.

Up to 7 years ago we were putting bales in to this shed with a MF 35. That's where you would see pressure on hydraulics!

Ya the 35 used to have a hard time alright. Was there was some sort of a spring at the top link side of the 35/135 that would stop it from lifting if it was to heavy? I seem to remember a neighbour welded it on ours when I was a young fella so it could lift the bales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Ya the 35 used to have a hard time alright. Was there was some sort of a spring at the top link side of the 35/135 that would stop it from lifting if it was to heavy? I seem to remember a neighbour welded it on ours when I was a young fella so it could lift the bales.

Don't know whether it was a 35 or 135 at the time but remember the first and I think only time we got bales of silage. The ould lad maneuvering around with four well filled sand bags on the front of the tractor and a bale + spike on the back, Hi-ho Silver and away..... eventually :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

we have a 165, and it was used on silage bales, knocking noise coming out of the hydraulics I think, also heard people saying something about stubb axles, its quite inspiring when you see people doing things you deemed not possible, ! regards the spool valve, was the much work in hooking it up, and how did you go about it, sorry for the questions !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Don't know whether it was a 35 or 135 at the time but remember the first and I think only time we got bales of silage. The ould lad maneuvering around with four well filled sand bags on the front of the tractor and a bale + spike on the back, Hi-ho Silver and away..... eventually :D

We used to be the same, only it was me sitting on the bonnet.
    It makes ya pay attention to wilting grass!

we have a 165, and it was used on silage bales, knocking noise coming out of the hydraulics I think, also heard people saying something about stubb axles, its quite inspiring when you see people doing things you deemed not possible, ! regards the spool valve, was the much work in hooking it up, and how did you go about it, sorry for the questions !

This 165 knocks even when there is only a transport box on it. In fact I think that every 1 series tractor knocks in the lift? The stubb axels are worn on it, the front wheels wobble on the road, but we might get another while out of her.

The spool valve just bolted onto the underseat of the tractor - I just removed the plate that was there. The stack pipe was there and it just connected right into the spool valve. Connected up the pipes and it worked away. Took about an hour in total as the stack pipe placement was a bit fiddily. But it's working away now with no leaks,

Yea, all of them older series MF's had that spring. You were warned to be careful with it as it controlled the lift.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

ole lad I know had a bale of silage on the back of 135.. full tilt down hill on a public road, pair of big wet dunlops on him and dog ran out from the left and he braked/swerved... hadn't he the breaks split getting out of the field and never swing the pin/across the pedal again.. he ended up facing back towards town and he was leaving town!! he was pure white with the shock.. did a full 180 on the main road with the nose above in the air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Bodacious wrote: »
    ole lad I know had a bale of silage on the back of 135.. full tilt down hill on a public road, pair of big wet dunlops on him and dog ran out from the left and he braked/swerved... hadn't he the breaks split getting out of the field and never swing the pin/across the pedal again.. he ended up facing back towards town and he was leaving town!! he was pure white with the shock.. did a full 180 on the main road with the nose above in the air

I bet the seat wasn't white after him lol.

I bet the seat wasn't white after him lol.
    Powerwasher job :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Powerwasher job :D

Comeback whelan1 quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭ABlur

Muckit I hope that's not the nephew!! Or you'll have the H&S crew from the guntering thread on you!!!!!

Jesus not at all! I just came across that video. He's deadly at cutting out the blocks.

He ll be sick of it by the time hes 9 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

clearly unaware of farm health and saftey.

only last week a fatal accident with a diet feeder in Ballindine, Mayo , ,

thats now, but will be sent out on his own when hes 11 to do it. . . and ull never know whether this child lived to see 20s

some parents shock me when it comes to farm safety.

• Advertisement

To be honest I was cutting hay with a rotary mower on my own when I wasnt much older than that. I remember I couldnt reach the clutch from the seat so had to stand up to clutch. I reckon I was , at the most, 12. Father was away at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

photo1_zps0cb7531c.jpg

photo2_zpsc809be4f.jpg

:D

He's enthusiastic. I'll give him that.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

the ladies enjoying there brunch :D:D:DWP_000550 (1).jpg

WP_000547 (1).jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

jersey101 wrote: »
    the ladies enjoying there brunch :D:D:DWP_000550 (1).jpg

WP_000547 (1).jpg

with that set up I take it you're using a diet feeder?

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »
    with that set up I take it you're using a diet feeder?

yep i am

yep i am
    It must be a bitch of a job to back in.

It must be a bitch of a job to back in.

ah it is at the start of the year but ye get good at it after a while. Like most things :D

ah it is at the start of the year but ye get good at it after a while. Like most things :D

Would it be possible to knock door through at the other end and drive straight through?

Would it be possible to knock door through at the other end and drive straight through?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement