Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

jersey101 wrote: »
    ah it is at the start of the year but ye get good at it after a while. Like most things :D

Would it be possible to knock door through at the other end and drive straight through?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

ah it is at the start of the year but ye get good at it after a while. Like most things :D

Would it be possible to knock door through at the other end and drive straight through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

ah ye would have ro make a roadway out into the field and travel around the yard. Be no need really tbh.
    Were widening out the yard in a few yrs so itll be a bit easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

ah ye would have ro make a roadway out into the field and travel around the yard. Be no need really tbh.
    Were widening out the yard in a few yrs so itll be a bit easier

hi jersey

is your feeder spout at back or front? just wondering as if at front small bit of waste of feeder space .. im just nosey

Bodacious wrote: »
    hi jersey

is your feeder spout at back or front? just wondering as if at front small bit of waste of feeder space .. im just nosey

its a keenan so feed out tray is at front. At the back half the barrier has a water trough and we can feed from there down.
    Works fine, fit 55 cows in the shed max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

its a keenan so feed out tray is at front. At the back half the barrier has a water trough and we can feed from there down.
    Works fine, fit 55 cows in the shed max

What width is the passage jersey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Ya the 35 used to have a hard time alright. Was there was some sort of a spring at the top link side of the 35/135 that would stop it from lifting if it was to heavy? I seem to remember a neighbour welded it on ours when I was a young fella so it could lift the bales.

We had a 35 and it had a great lift. If it couldn't lift the weight it would lift front of the tractor. Many a bale of silage I bought with it.

What width is the passage jersey?

its 12 foot i think. Thats top of my head trying to remember how wide the gate is at the front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Nice van

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

delaval wrote: »
    Nice van

Def a closet Massey fan :D

• Advertisement

These two seemed very relaxed today, ya would swear i was running a spa retreat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭fredweena

They're alive, right?

fredweena wrote: »
    They're alive, right?
    yeah thats the way they sleep during the day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Nice van

Last time I was in waterford I seen a van with that name, started thinking you had a sideline going dev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

hugo29 wrote: »
    Last time I was in waterford I seen a van with that name, started thinking you had a sideline going dev

No they just named an international company after me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

No they just named an international company after me

Like a Brazilian footballer, they just game you the one name, twas enough to be known by far and wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Like a Brazilian footballer, they just game you the one name, twas enough to be known by far and wide.

Or they just didn't want the family name associated with the hure :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Good thick stuff

moy83 wrote: »
    Good thick stuff
    you ll be warm splitting that lot

• Advertisement

you ll be warm splitting that lot

The hydraulic pump on the tractor might heat up a little bit but I wont !

moy83 wrote: »
    The hydraulic pump on the tractor might heat up a little bit but I wont !
    Get the axe out man :D

Get the axe out man :D

Oh I do , I pick a few of the cleanest blocks after the splitter and make kindling out of them . Just to keep the eye in so to speak !

Took a tumble off a wall earlier, starting to get feckin sore now.

Took a tumble off a wall earlier, starting to get feckin sore now.

You could do without that , what did you hurt ?

Oops, thought I was in chitchat :o:o

Knee, shoulder, hand, wrist, nothing important :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

hugo29 wrote: »

he has, its just very"small scale".

Oops, thought I was in chitchat :o:o

Knee, shoulder, hand, wrist, nothing important :D
    Ah sure if thats all :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

You know that feeling, when the wheels first start spinning. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

You know that feeling, when the wheels first start spinning. :D

Now that's what u call hardship

Left a nice hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ok I'll putup a photo of a HO for a change from the usual nice big beef animals. 1st heifer calf born of a heifer cow here in many years. No problems calving (even if it was outside in the cold!), lively little calf up sucking without a bother when I spotted them thismorning. Decent ebi on her also, 220. The dam is a FLT with the granddam off a RUU, and great survivability of all the family in our herd. Most of the pure white HOs in our herd have not done great in the last few years, but I'd say that heifer will have no problems!

Ktjpdle.png

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ok I'll putup a photo of a HO for a change from the usual nice big beef animals. 1st heifer calf born of a heifer cow here in many years. No problems calving (even if it was outside in the cold!), lively little calf up sucking without a bother when I spotted them thismorning. Decent ebi on her also, 220. The dam is a FLT with the granddam off a RUU, and great survivability of all the family in our herd. Most of the pure white HOs in our herd have not done great in the last few years, but I'd say that heifer will have no problems!

Ktjpdle.png
    Ahhh im blinded with all the white, throw a bucket of brown paint on her will ye :D
    Very nice heifer tim. Ive a good few FLT cows here and there super. Have onevatm and she is 13yrs old

Ha wait about 2wks of her being in on the cubicles!

Very nice heifer tim. Ive a good few FLT cows here and there super. Have onevatm and she is 13yrs old

Hmmm thats very impressive considering FLT himself is only 5yrs old :P

Ha wait about 2wks of her being in on the cubicles!

ive two similar looking heifers as your calf there calving in feb, smashing looking heifers. What does your father think of the calf?

He wasn't keen at all on the idea of giving heifers dairy straws last year, 1st few heifers who calved all had bulls and he was moaning that we should have stuck to the AAs, he said nothing at all this morning which is a good sign :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I really can't understand why people don't like turbines. I think it's a beautiful and natural image to be able to look at from your front door. Better than a concrete jungle or a factory pumping smoke through a stack anyway!

1477840_612490908786189_748234580_n_zps4dc9c93d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

Ktjpdle.png
    what bull is she by

HMY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

reilig wrote: »
    I really can't understand why people don't like turbines. I think it's a beautiful and natural image to be able to look at from your front door. Better than a concrete jungle or a factory pumping smoke through a stack anyway!

I agree but they really shouldn't be near a house. I have land about 500 meters away from some of them and they are fairly loud and repetitive. The noise could drive you crazy if listening to it 24/7. I wouldn't like to live that close to them.

• Advertisement

I dont mind them once they are that distance away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I agree but they really shouldn't be near a house. I have land about 500 meters away from some of them and they are fairly loud and repetitive. The noise could drive you crazy if listening to it 24/7. I wouldn't like to live that close to them.

We have property that is no more than 500m away from them and you can never hear any noise from them. Ours is one of the closest properties to them in this area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

would it not be like living beside a busy road with a lot of traffic,you would get used to the noise in no time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

if you saw the lovely factory that is close to me, any reservations about turbines would soon be forgotten about

We have property that is no more than 500m away from them and you can never hear any noise from them. Ours is one of the closest properties to them in this area.

It does depend on the prevailing wind but there is a fairly constant whup noise from the ones near me when there is a SW wind. Its quite loud so much so that you'd hear it in the tractor over the noise of the engine when they are going flat out. I was talking to someone who works in this area and he suggested that not enough research has gone into the sound waves created and how the turbines should be situated not just to catch the wind but also to use the local topography to block these waves as much as possible. He works in maintenance all over Ireland and the UK and he said some of them are really way to loud while others are virtually silent.
    naughto wrote: »
    would it not be like living beside a busy road with a lot of traffic,you would get used to the noise in no time

The thing about traffic is that the noise varies whereas this noise would be so repetitive it would be like Chinese torture. I think the ones near me are perfect where they are but I wouldn't like to live to closer to them.

if you saw the lovely factory that is close to me, any reservations about turbines would soon be forgotten about

I don't have reservations about them but make sure they are situated to minimise effects on peoples homes.

I do sympathise with anyone living close to a dirty factory though.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

IMG_20131211_110440_zps16c4f663.jpgthis lady produces my best calf every year , her time is up 7 days ago to creega dice so here's hoping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

Are the The mighty quinn's ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

mikeoh wrote: »
    ..this lady produces my best calf every year , her time is up 7 days ago to creega dice so here's hoping
    What breeding is she? Shorthorn I suppose, but what else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

mikeoh wrote: »
    IMG_20131211_110440_zps16c4f663.jpgthis lady produces my best calf every year , her time is up 7 days ago to creega dice so here's hoping

She's a nice cow alright. She pb when you use the shorthorn bull.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement