Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

What breeding is she? Shorthorn I suppose, but what else?

75% sh 25% Lim(naverin) she is the last sh left on the farm and has only ever had bull calves so I'm hoping no.5 will be a heifer......... there is a big old soft spot in Clare for shorthorns we always had a few in fact my parents got 2 cows as a wedding present off my grandfather circ. 50 years ago I remember milking them by hand in the middle of field as a lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I had a shorthorn myself. Bought her as a heifer. She was a big boney yoke to look at but she had super calves too. All bulls like yerself, 5 in a row. I had to get rid of her as she got bad in the back legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Mikeoh

She's a nice one alright. To be honest I'd have said she was a second calver. She's a few good years left in here yet!

I had a shorthorn myself. Bought her as a heifer. She was a big boney yoke to look at but she had super calves too. All bulls like yerself, 5 in a row. I had to get rid of her as she got bad in the back legs.
    3 SH heifer weanlings here that will be for the bull next year. No doubt they are plain in comparison to their CH and LM comrades so it will be interesting to see how they all get on as cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

mikeoh wrote: »
    75% sh 25% Lim(naverin) she is the last sh left on the farm and has only ever had bull calves so I'm hoping no.5 will be a heifer.....

Lovely type of cow. How many days is she gone to Dice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

75% sh 25% Lim(naverin) she is the last sh left on the farm and has only ever had bull calves so I'm hoping no.5 will be a heifer......... there is a big old soft spot in Clare for shorthorns we always had a few in fact my parents got 2 cows as a wedding present off my grandfather circ. 50 years ago I remember milking them by hand in the middle of field as a lad
    A part of me would love to let a good shorthorn bull up on a few of the best lim cows and see what I get. Been breeding all maternal for a few years so won't happen for another while. You couldn't buy a good one around clare, they go crazy €€€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

just do it wrote: »
    3 SH heifer weanlings here that will be for the bull next year. No doubt they are plain in comparison to their CH and LM comrades so it will be interesting to see how they all get on as cows.

What type of cows are they outta jd? I think you had pics of them up a while back.

What type of cows are they outta jd? I think you had pics of them up a while back.
    Out of heifers redzer. Generally alot of LM blood in my stock so wanted to throw something else into the mix. I selected the heifers with most LM (so at least 75%) for the SH straws.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Lovely type of cow. How many days is she gone to Dice?

Time up a week ...only trouble I have with her was about 2 years ago she lost a lot of hair in her back and got sun burn all due to " photosynthesis".. I think the vet called it I spent the summer putting sun tan lotion on her!!!!........ I wouldn't do it for the wife I was told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

Time up a week ...only trouble I have with her was about 2 years ago she lost a lot of hair in her back and got sun burn all due to " photosynthesis".. I think the vet called it I spent the summer putting sun tan lotion on her!!!!........ I wouldn't do it for the wife I was told

Your married to the same type of woman as me so

• Advertisement

Jeez lads, where did you find those hairy backed women:confused::D

Never tell :D
    And I dare ya to say it to her face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Are you looking for one.

Photosynthesis indeed. Ya need to look brush up your biology :-)

My money's on a bull if she's carrying over!

You could nearly order one back in Lisdoon the month of sept !!!

Photosensitization I ment to say but predicted text beat me to it......sorry

Reminds me of the episode of Curb your enthusiasm where Larry is writing an obituary for his "beloved aunt" but used a c instead of an a in aunt :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Reminds me of the episode of Curb your enthusiasm where Larry is writing an obituary for his "beloved aunt" but used a c instead of an a in aunt :-)

That just reminded me of one I did. I'm still bloody mortified when I think of it. First year in college and handed in an assignment worth 10% or something to our online communications lecturer.
    In one part I wrote about outdated software and split it into paragraphs with heading for the different ones.
    Floppy Disc was one. But my computer did not write Disc :(:o

Whoops, thought this was chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Kovu Murr wrote: »

That just reminded me of one I did. I'm still bloody mortified when I think of it. First year in college and handed in an assignment worth 10% or something to our online communications lecturer.
    In one part I wrote about outdated software and split it into paragraphs with heading for the different ones.
    Floppy Disc was one. But my computer did not write Disc :(:o

The subconscious can do funny things. But im sure it was the computer's fault;-)

Never tell :D
    And I dare ya to say it to her face
    Are you looking for one.

'tis a photo thread lads, ye brave enough to throw up a picture?:D

• Advertisement

'tis a photo thread lads, ye brave enough to throw up a picture?:D

I'd only be murdered if I did that at her stage of pregnancy :D
    I ain't that brave :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

It would be great if it was the first diagnosis ...
    Imagine the size of your cattle around the end of July this year ...

Richk2012 wrote: »

It would be great if it was the first diagnosis ...
    Imagine the size of your cattle around the end of July this year ...
    be great daily gain there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Are the The mighty quinn's ones

No. They are in Arigna,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

would not worry about it, the sun tan lotion that is (not the wife), i had a heifer same thing happened too in 2012, and this year she was fine without the lotion, old neighbour told me once was all she would get it while vet told me to sell her
    guess who was right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Had a heifer come down with bad sunburn this year, she calved back in Sept fine, but was hopeless in terms of a milker. Teats were in very poor condition, not surprisingly she lost one quarter to mastitis. I left her out in the field with a calf under her for a month or so as she wasnt worth the hassle in the parlour. Have her back in there now, but hardly worth it 2bh, only gives out about 10L/day. They'll never be right in many cases, and only taking up space. If it was my choice I'd have sent her packing long ago, but my dad wouldn't agree, in any case she'll be gone come April, and probably wont make much as a cull.

Photosensitization ................vet said it was due to the liver not being able to break down chlorophyll in leafy grass and affected the skin pigment......she hasn't had it since.............I think myself I might have overdone it with a pour on causing the hair loss!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I hope this works!

Herself reckons I am a big child, that I should get some little plastic soldiers, name them after people I don't like and then let rip :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111758162@N02/11419785495/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111758162@N02/11421115013/

I hope this works!

Herself reckons I am a big child, that I should get some little plastic soldiers, name them after people I don't like and then let rip :D

the fruits of your labours lad

• Advertisement

I hope this works!

Careful Conman, you'll flood the city :D

There's something sorta "Bull McCabe" about it CM! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

There's something sorta "Bull McCabe" about it CM! :D

Seaweed on the brain Biz :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Just after doing my Christmas good deed,a b****x! has 10 acres of wettish ground down road....lands around 10 cows into it every October and expects it to feed them...tonight they inevitably broke out...a non farming neighbour rang to say there were cattle on road after 7pm...straight away I knew whose they would be....went out and got help from next car along road to put them back in yer mans land...another neighbour rang Hom to say his cattle were out on road and got impression from him he would rather watch TV than go check it out!!
    People like him give farmers a bad name.

IMG_20131219_135548_zpsa95d7c9b.jpg......came off work this am to find this big boy at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Murphy's law eh? Always a bull when you want a heifer. :D

• Advertisement

Mikeoh

Congrats! A live healthy calf is always good result. Now I see you have the shed and the step, when are you putting the cubicles and the parlour?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ABlur

Hope this one works

Murphy's law eh? Always a bull when you want a heifer. :D

Ha ha ......I feel like a dairy farmer!!

Mikeoh

Congrats! A live healthy calf is always good result. Now I see you have the shed and the step, when are you putting the cubicles and the parlour?!!

He is a cracker of a calf I'm very happy.....I love those little surprises opening a shed door and a little fella there wagging his tail

He is a cracker of a calf I'm very happy.....I love those little surprises opening a shed door and a little fella there wagging his tail

Esp when there is no hardship involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

IMG_20131219_135548_zpsa95d7c9b.jpg......came off work this am to find this big boy at home

What breeding is in the calf mike? Smashing pair, are you open to bids?

J DEERE wrote: »
    What breeding is in the calf mike? Smashing pair, are you open to bids?

Creega dice ( sh) ...cow not a pb more like a member of the family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

1468704_627793727276759_1416558863_n.jpg

thats some sight, nice bunch of je calves :D:D:D

jersey101 wrote: »

Thats something for you to aspire to jersey :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

jersey101 wrote: »

And some people would be looking for the lump hammer

Not me tho....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

And some people would be looking for the lump hammer

Not me tho....

sure them HOs would be too stupid to line up like that :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Bull on front cover of Simmental yearbook 2013. .... owned by lad l know outside Ballinasloe. ... fine animal. He has it everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Bull on front cover of Simmental yearbook 2013. .... owned by lad l know outside Ballinasloe. ... fine animal. He has it everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

mj94.jpg

enwl.jpg

3wy3.jpg

All cattle in today , a few nasty showers but battled on and got them in .
    We would have left them out till newyear if the rain had stayed away oh well i suppose the 21st December isnt bad :)

the 21st of dec aint bad at all

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement