Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

What's the story with the high gates/barriers?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

Muckit wrote: »
    we have the same in the main yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

we used to keep bull in there with a pen of bullocks and he helped him self to two of our young heifers one year so we stopped that :D.. hes going up in the other open shed not away from cows and heifers .... we had the odd cow make attempts at jumping so a stitch in time and all that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Bull on front cover of Simmental yearbook 2013. .... owned by lad l know outside Ballinasloe. ... fine animal. He has it everywhere

Nice Pic. Peadar G. ?

20 weanling heifers out on Kale. Getting a round bale of hay every few days and a lick of nuts. All looking grand with the dry weather a few weeks ago.

Then Thursday morning looking a sorry sight :(

they got a bit rough looking alright

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Nice Pic. Peadar G. ?

Nope. Go again :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

:D

aLKrPVL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Jimmy G M
    A case of compare and contrast alright! How many acres did you sow for them? And how many weeks will they get out of it?

• Advertisement

Nope. Go again :-)
    No idea, thought it might be yer man, he was big into simmental society a few years ago.

just do it wrote: »
    Jimmy G M
    A case of compare and contrast alright! How many acres did you sow for them? And how many weeks will they get out of it?

There's aprox 7 acres sown. Cattle are in 4 weeks now and a little over an acre used, so at that rate there's another circa 20 weeks there. We will prob put another 5-10 weanlings out on it come March so get it all eaten as will be putting into grass in April.

This is a bit of ground we inherited earlier this year and was a bit neglected and badly in need of a re-seed. We went kale and out-wintering cattle on it, as Dad reckons a great way of improving the land. TBH I would have preferred to just re-seed last August so we'll see how it works out. Will post a few figures on costs etc in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

There's aprox 7 acres sown. Cattle are in 4 weeks now and a little over an acre used, so at that rate there's another circa 20 weeks there. We will prob put another 5-10 weanlings out on it come March so get it all eaten as will be putting into grass in April.

This is a bit of ground we inherited earlier this year and was a bit neglected and badly in need of a re-seed. We went kale and out-wintering cattle on it, as Dad reckons a great way of improving the land. TBH I would have preferred to just re-seed last August so we'll see how it works out. Will post a few figures on costs etc in a few days.

Interesting...

Why does your father think its good to improve?
    I always thought rape was good to clear old ground of weeds. Talking to a neighbour, he finds it good, as he thinks its good as the roots grow deep and break up the soil more...

Interested to hear, as I have some old ground which I am half thinking of reclaiming next year maybe, and was thinking that maybe rape might be good to clean it... :confused:

Interesting...

Why does your father think its good to improve?
    I always thought rape was good to clear old ground of weeds. Talking to a neighbour, he finds it good, as he thinks its good as the roots grow deep and break up the soil more...

Interested to hear, as I have some old ground which I am half thinking of reclaiming next year maybe, and was thinking that maybe rape might be good to clean it... :confused:

Yeah same as that plus adding organic material & dung to the soil. Turnips / stubble turnips work too. Just be careful not to plough down the good soil. We'll prob do some kind of a min till job with a disk harrow or power harrow to put in the grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Its there much to planting kale?

just do it wrote: »
    Its there much to planting kale?

Something like this;

Plough / Till / sow €70 acre
    Seed €40 acre
    3 bags fert 18/6/12 €65 acre

Dryer fields with good shelter is preference. Ideally there should be a run - off field or stubbles for livestock to lie on also. Sow any time from June to mid August, earlier leads to higher yields, we sowed early August, after a crop of bales from the field. Crop will continue to grow right up to Christmas. Needs a fair bit of N & K, you could plough in FYM or slurry. Weeds / pests not generally a problem when sown slightly later, we didn't spray for any.

Needs a decent fine seed bed - couple of runs of power harrow. We spread seed with an Abbey wagtail fert spreader, mixing 1 bag of seed with 1 bag of fert to establish coverage for an acre. One run of field running wheel along beside previous run. We didn't bother crossing the field. Coverage was nice and even. Cover with chain harrow. Spread more manure. Roll.

I have probably left something out. Pudsey will probably add it in.

Edit; Ph was ok so no lime needed. Also got one other bag of CAN / acre about 2 weeks after sowing so factor that into costs as well.

• Advertisement

wfrb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

Have a HTC one phone how do I upload a pic to here

Kids made this cool reindeer for me with some help from grandad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

biddy2013 wrote: »

Class job , and its a nice thought too !

biddy2013 wrote: »
    all ya want now is a little covering of snow for the morning...just a little bit mind :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

just a follow on form having cattle outdoors and grazing kale

Cattle on beet tops in Picture 1 on the 10th of December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

just a follow on form having cattle outdoors and grazing kale

Cattle on beet tops in Picture 1 on the 10th of December

Do they leave much or any of the tops after them and do the tops go off quick after the beet is harvested ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

Nearly ready to put in the Turkey .......

jersey101 wrote: »
    Nearly ready to put in the Turkey .......

Where the hell are you? A crematorium?

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Where the hell are you? A crematorium?

That's the burner that heats the house :D

jersey101 wrote: »
    That's the burner that heats the house :D

You weren't joking when you said you lived in an old house:eek:

moy83 wrote: »
    Do they leave much or any of the tops after them and do the tops go off quick after the beet is harvested ?

they wouldnt leave a bit if the weather comes right, they would last a month but be deteriorating away if you get my drift

Next pictures is what happens after rain, and lots of it. they were left on a couple days too long as I was busy at other jobs and waiting for a haulier to take they on holidays for the rest of the winter :mad::mad: This the real side to outwintering. Probably looks worse than it is as it was only really wet for 48hrs. cattle are happy but my soil structure is after taking a serious pounding. Will it cost the next crop? Feck it will

Pretty ashamed of this pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

Good looking cattle,the outwintering has changed completely in the last week.The ground is gone very wet.What kind of stocking rate do you have on beet tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

they wouldnt leave a bit if the weather comes right, they would last a month but be deteriorating away if you get my drift

Next pictures is what happens after rain, and lots of it. they were left on a couple days too long as I was busy at other jobs and waiting for a haulier to take they on holidays for the rest of the winter :mad::mad: This the real side to outwintering. Probably looks worse than it is as it was only really wet for 48hrs. cattle are happy but my soil structure is after taking a serious pounding. Will it cost the next crop? Feck it will

Ground looks hard, they're not sinking.

mayota wrote: »
    Ground looks hard, they're not sinking.

they are making ****e of the place and it will have consequences in the next crop I think, soil structure can be fecked up so fast. If one considers that farming, im bate. Cheap outwintering, it certainly is not and I had the tops for free basically. Much happier having them away indoors now.

Stocking rate there is about 7 - 450kgs heifers to the acre

• Advertisement

they are making ****e of the place and it will have consequences in the next crop I think, soil structure can be fecked up so fast. If one considers that farming, im bate. Cheap outwintering, it certainly is not and I had the tops for free basically. Much happier having them away indoors now.

Ye I'd say the weight of them is what caused the mess there. The cows did as bad a job here on the redstart but its recovered a bit since october

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Jesus Bob what did ya expect stocking it that heavy with animals that weight? Outwintering only works well for weanlings from what Ive seen, on free draining soil in fields with plenty of shelter. If youre feeding kale/rape/beet then ya should be able to buffer feed and provide a stand off area where they can go to lie down if it gets wet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

We took the first batch off last Sat week and the second I thought with the yrno forecast we'd get through Christmas but they were as wrong as I've ever seen them be. The lasgt batch came in last Tues. There's beet still out there if it settles we might try to go back for it. How long after a month are they any good bob. what's left is pulled around a forthnight.

J DEERE wrote: »
    Jesus Bob what did ya expect stocking it that heavy with animals that weight? Outwintering only works well for weanlings from what Ive seen, on free draining soil in fields with plenty of shelter. If youre feeding kale/rape/beet then ya should be able to buffer feed and provide a stand off area where they can go to lie down if it gets wet

I was hoping they would get it all eaten before the wet weather, These bunch were out of TB test so I had to wait before I could move them to their winter quarters. beet tops were never intended to be area for full outwintering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

20 weanling heifers out on Kale. Getting a round bale of hay every few days and a lick of nuts. All looking grand with the dry weather a few weeks ago.

Then Thursday morning looking a sorry sight :(

You'd want to be careful, there's a few dairy guys in here would say that you'd need to be careful of the Dept, or is it only when a pic from NZ is posted?

They look good. We used to sow Kale for many years, great take of reseeds after it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I've 10 or so drycows still outside, in a 2acre or so paddock, cows id say cause less damage than weanlings, well where the ringfeeder is is pure soup, a ft of slop, but thats only a very small part of the field, rest is waterlogged but not poached much at all. Far from ideal to have them out there at all I'll put my hands up and admit tho ha, but sure what can ya do!

delaval wrote: »
    You'd want to be careful, there's a few dairy guys in here would say that you'd need to be careful of the Dept, or is it only when a pic from NZ is posted?
    was just going to post on that, after reading timmays post above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

J DEERE wrote: »

Much of it depends on how much time they are actually in the out wintering area. We have the cows on fodder beet during the day and in by night, the fields do look like ****e after the winter but we replough them the following spring and either but beet back in or reseed. Last years beet field was reseeded this year and the grass came very well and the field looks very well after it. No sign of serious damage to the soil.

yellow50HX wrote: »
    Much of it depends on how much time they are actually in the out wintering area. We have the cows on fodder beet during the day and in by night, the fields do look like ****e after the winter but we replough them the following spring and either but beet back in or reseed. Last years beet field was reseeded this year and the grass came very well and the field looks very well after it. No sign of serious damage to the soil.

I would disagree and if you measured the amount of growth the following year when in grass it would be well back. If it reduces the yeilds of grains and maize it will do likewise with grass.

Thankfully the picture I showed is the worst part of the field at the gap

• Advertisement

'Diet feeder' spotted in Broadford, Co. Clare today

'Diet feeder' spotted in Broadford Co. Clare today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Some pictures of my pbr bulls.

Picture 1 and 2 - ADX bull 8 months old
    Picture 3 - TVR bull 5 months old
    Picture 4 - AHZ bull 6 months old

The last two are still on the cow. Once a day only

When do you hope to move these on? Will they be staying in shed or you plan grazing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Some pictures of my pbr bulls......
    Picture 4 - AHZ bull 6 months old

What's your impression of AHZ? He seems easy calving anyway.

When do you hope to move these on? Will they be staying in shed or you plan grazing them?

Out by day, in by night. Would hope to move the Adx bull in Apr/May time. Have sold similar bulls at this age before. Realistically, I am looking at Autumn 2014 for the other two. must admit not looking forward to holding them over the summer if they get active. Have moved the ped calving to Sept/Oct with the plan to sell the following spring (all going well)

• Advertisement

What's your impression of AHZ? He seems easy calving anyway.
    Only have one on the ground by him and he was not that easy to get out. Have another heifer in calf to him due March so we will see...He has turned out ok so far.

Great winter hair on them all Mac. Have 4 pbr LM to calve this year myself. What are the dam's off on yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MagicManCan

Does anyone here just feed silage to ye're stock? (No meal or nuts) Just curious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

Does anyone here just feed silage to ye're stock? (No meal or nuts) Just curious :)

U can chalk it down , I have suckler ........I only give meal to weanlings.......

mikeoh wrote: »
    U can chalk it down , I have suckler ........I only give meal to weanlings.......

+1. But a good scatter of minerals on top of it every second day.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement