Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Does anyone here just feed silage to ye're stock? (No meal or nuts) Just curious :)

We do . But we aren't heavily stocked .

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MagicManCan

moy83 wrote: »
    We do . But we aren't heavily stocked .

Thanks, just wondered because we feed only a small amount, but like yourself we're not heavily stocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Great winter hair on them all Mac. Have 4 pbr LM to calve this year myself. What are the dam's off on yours?
    Pic 1 & 2 dam is by a son of Lino. Good milky cow and calves every 365 and usually takes 2 ai's
    Pic 3 dam is by Highlander, again a good miller but a b%itch to get to come bulling but will go in calf on the first ai usually
    Pic 4 dam is a heifer off Milbrook Tanko. She has broken twice so hoping 3rd time lucky. Not too hot on milk but have seen them show a big improvement second time round.

Only the pedigrees get nuts here and any weanlings kept for breeding. We calve them at 2 years so need to push them on weight.

Great winter hair on them all Mac. Have 4 pbr LM to calve this year myself. What are the dam's off on yours?
    Kovu, what are yours in calve to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Kovu, what are yours in calve to?

RHF, ERE & CWI. First calver with the rhf so I'm a little worried about her as she's heavy and springing now, was only due on Friday.

RHF, ERE & CWI. First calver with the rhf so I'm a little worried about her as she's heavy and springing now, was only due on Friday.

My ai man told me that RHF needs minding if carrying a bull calve, can bring alot of time and size.
    What made you go with ere given his calving difficulty? I have not seen any of his calves on the ground, does he through good ones?

My ai man told me that RHF needs minding if carrying a bull calve, can bring alot of time and size.
    What made you go with ere given his calving difficulty? I have not seen any of his calves on the ground, does he through good ones?

Ya, only used him once last year, threw a great bull calf, the big red fella here. http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/4112/upk.jpg

Have him on 3 cows this year, should be fun! I think this hf will have a bull, she's gotten very slung and 'low' in herself, along with springing so early. Best grease the calving jack so!:pac:

Ya, only used him once last year, threw a great bull calf, the big red fella here. http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/4112/upk.jpg

Have him on 3 cows this year, should be fun! I think this hf will have a bull, she's gotten very slung and 'low' in herself, along with springing so early. Best grease the calving jack so!:pac:

Great bunch of calves, the red fella lucks more like a bb, no wonder he is the % he is. Good luck with them..keep us informed of progress!

Great bunch of calves, the red fella lucks more like a bb, no wonder he is the % he is. Good luck with them..keep us informed of progress!

Had a hard pull with him alright. And yet muggins here put him on the same cow and two others again:rolleyes:

Glutton for punishment!!! I'll keep ye informed alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

Spring born heifer got out this morning...mad bulling....will she be fit for AI in April.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

jersey101 wrote: »
    Spring born heifer got out this morning...mad bulling....will she be fit for AI in April.

Is that a massive baler, or just a small heifer? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

munkus wrote: »
    Is that a massive baler, or just a small heifer? :-)
    should that baler not be in a shed :P

should that baler not be in a shed :P

Haven't enough room for stock never mind machinery :(

Haven't enough room for stock never mind machinery :(
    well when she give ya trouble...uncle sharp warned ya :pac:

well when she give ya trouble...uncle sharp warned ya :pac:

I think she has nearly 80k bales up on her from mostly our own use. Put a new set of knives in last year, original set were worn to the bone. And it looks like she needs new set of Chains around the chamber. Might be better off getting someone to bale next year

I think she has nearly 80k bales up on her from mostly our own use. Put a new set of knives in last year, original set were worn to the bone. And it looks like she needs new set of Chains around the chamber. Might be better off getting someone to bale next year
    good baler tho, if you put new chains into her use a wire pullers to pull the two ends together. Took us a while to figure that out a few year back in my contractor days

good baler tho, if you put new chains into her use a wire pullers to pull the two ends together. Took us a while to figure that out a few year back in my contractor days

Haven't priced anything yet so my see how much it will cost first

Haven't priced anything yet so my see how much it will cost first
    about E2000 for decent chains and you might as well change the rollers too while you have them out. Ah sure ill give ya E500 for the baler as is :D

about E2000 for decent chains and you might as well change the rollers too while you have them out. Ah sure ill give ya E500 for the baler as is :D

Fcuk off??? Seriously?? Fcuk that....

• Advertisement

I see you there cow, peeping out of the shed.

I see you there cow, peeping out of the shed.
    shes saying "where the hell is she off to"

shes saying "where the hell is she off to"

She's probably lamenting the fact that she can't fit though the barrier like the heifer:D:D

Fcuk off??? Seriously?? Fcuk that....
    if my memory serves me right anyways, i think your about that amount but open to correction here. Class parts are close but dont use them as they are a little off size wise and dont last pissing time in a krone. Sure a large roller from a class or McHale is the guts of 2k i believe.

She's probably lamenting the fact that she can't fit though the barrier like the heifer:D:D
    In that case its "look at that skinny B***h"

if my memory serves me right anyways, i think your about that amount but open to correction here. Class parts are close but dont use them as they are a little off size wise and dont last pissing time in a krone. Sure a large roller from a class or McHale is the guts of 2k i believe.

Might put the new chains in her and use her for baling paddocks and get a lad in to bale to big cuts of silage

• Advertisement

Might put the new chains in her and use her for baling paddocks and get a lad in to bale to big cuts of silage
    ah no she be right as rain with new chains. It would have new guts at that stage and the panel work looks to be in great shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

As Fr Ted would put it
    "Near, far away"

ah no she be right as rain with new chains. It would have new guts at that stage and the panel work looks to be in great shape.

Ye panels are in good nick. A bit faded though. When the chamber is closed the panel that is in the back door, over the damper that is broken too. Did a patch up job on that but it needs a new one

Ye panels are in good nick. A bit faded though. When the chamber is closed the panel that is in the back door, over the damper that is broken too. Did a patch up job on that but it needs a new one

Reversing accident

Reversing accident

Nope its the panel that sits over the bale damper

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Reversing accident

Another "near, far away" issue :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

A sight for sore eyes. 3/4 bred CH calf with a "take it or leave it" mother with little milk! Milked 500ml of thick thick beastings and stomach tubed it into the calf. Not sure they would have managed themselves and it gave the calf the kickstart it needed. This is taken 4hrs later.
    hf9u.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

just do it wrote: »
    A sight for sore eyes.
    Good stuff. I was thinking about the cows that are due to calve today. Nothing like the sight of newborn calves around the place and the evenings starting to stretch a little every day.

Nice calf JDI, shows up my little lass!!

ip4u.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Healthy and happy though, mother has taken to it like a duck to water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

A sight for sore eyes. 3/4 bred CH calf with a "take it or leave it" mother with little milk! Milked 500ml of thick thick beastings and stomach tubed it into the calf. Not sure they would have managed themselves and it gave the calf the kickstart it needed. This is taken 4hrs later.
    hf9u.jpg

Will she have enough milk for the calf??

Nice calf JDI, shows up my little lass!!

Healthy and happy though, mother has taken to it like a duck to water.

I'd a little surprise waiting for me on christmas day amongst the yearlings! There's bigger jack russels out there. Took me a while to figure out which cow it belonged to. She was 3 weeks early! A tough LM out of a motherly AA cow. Chalk and cheese when compared to last night's calf though. Once I'd the cow and calf together she was in sucking straight away :D. Stomach tubed it with 1L of beastings as well just to help it along.

Panch18 wrote: »
    Will she have enough milk for the calf??

She'll be fine, she's a third calver. Restricted feeding for 6 weeks pre-calving is resulting in them having less springing. Plenty dairy nuts for the first few days post calving gets them well on the road though.

May get that river cleaned next year. Hasn't came up into the field yet this winter but has destroyed the field other years

A lot of rivers at their max this weather jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

May get that river cleaned next year. Hasn't came up into the field yet this winter but has destroyed the field other years

Most them fields look like they are in great nick, bit of a slope really helps the drainage in fairness, its the biggest problem on my farm, flat as a pancake, fair bit of standing water at the minute!

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Most them fields look like they are in great nick, bit of a slope really helps the drainage in fairness, its the biggest problem on my farm, flat as a pancake, fair bit of standing water at the minute!

Ye there fairly trafficable now alright. They were drained yinks ago with the clay pipes and who ever did it did a brilliant job.
    I have a few pictures of covers on some of the fields but can't upload them

Timmaay wrote: »

+1

Jersey. Looks like you've done a decent enough job of the place. If I get a decent percentage of mine looking like that in the next few years I'll be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Is it an OPW channel do ya know?

+1

Jersey. Looks like you've done a decent enough job of the place. If I get a decent percentage of mine looking like that in the next few years I'll be happy.

You should have seen that field ten years ago. Pure bog, was set aside and had Sally's growing up in the clay pipe drains. And the ditches went 10-15 ft into the field. There was so much trees, they were a hedge of there own

One of the drains put in this year. There's pleasure in the simplest of things :).
    sxag.jpg

Bizzum wrote: »
    Is it an OPW channel do ya know?

Don't understand ye there

You should have seen that field ten years ago. Pure bog, was set aside and had Sally's growing up in the clay pipe drains. And the ditches went 10-15 ft into the field. There was so much trees, they were a hedge of there own

I know exactly what you're on about. I'd the digger man clear a section like that and had to get him to come back to it again as there was still a good 5-6ft to the boundary wall!

Don't understand ye there

Office of public works would have to clean it if they were responsible for it

Office of public works would have to clean it if they were responsible for it

Nah I'd don't think they have any thing to do with the river tbh. Gat lad that walks the river few times a year to check for pollution but that's about it

• Advertisement

I know exactly what you're on about. I'd the digger man clear a section like that and had to get him to come back to it again as there was still a good 5-6ft to the boundary wall!

One thing the parents regret is not taking photos of what the place was like. But sure ye live and ye learn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement