Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Some of this mornings antics. Forgot the sledge and only had the bar to drive the stakes, won't be forgetting sledge again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111758162@N02/12059582876/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Some of this mornings antics. Forgot the sledge and only had the bar to drive the stakes, won't be forgetting sledge again.

How do you forget the main component to driving stakes!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

some hardship

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    How do you forget the main component to driving stakes!:eek:

I don't don my thinking hat until the PM.

Reggie. wrote: »
    some hardship

Ah not too bad, two problems with that bar, it's not heavy enough to drive them and it vibrates which is hard on the hands.

I don't don my thinking hat until the PM.
    explains alot :D

explains alot :D

I make up for it with the thinking I do the day before.

I make up for it with the thinking I do the day before.
    thats your take on it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I'll tell ya one thing CM, I think I'd starve if it was left to me to knock a living outta land like that:)

• Advertisement

I'll tell ya one thing CM, I think I'd starve if it was left to me to knock a living outta land like that:)

Needs improving, there's a difference in opinion between myself and the ould fella on how to run his farm but, see the word in italics :D

The right animal, for the right ground, run the right way will make a few bob - with reams of small print to follow that statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

CM, forgetting the sledge then your age!! I'm getting worried about you.
    Beautiful to look at alright, but god it has to tough to make a few quid out of it.
    I take it that the stakes are going into sandy soil or am I completely wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Ah not too bad, two problems with that bar, it's not heavy enough to drive them and it vibrates which is hard on the hands.

Crowbar mighty job for making the guide holes. I bring a small crate or bucket with me driving stakes. The extra height over the stake makes a Hugh difference as opposed to hitting them at shoulder height. And no, I'm not a midget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

https://imageshack.us/a/img541/5929/kipe.jpg
    Sprayed of 4ac today that the redstart was in. Will sow end of march I hope. Very dry surprisingly. Bottom of field used to be a bog till I spent a day last spring rodding the clay pipe in it last year

I can see why your pricing tyres!!

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    CM, forgetting the sledge then your age!! I'm getting worried about you.
    Beautiful to look at alright, but god it has to tough to make a few quid out of it.
    I take it that the stakes are going into sandy soil or am I completely wrong?

Either pure bog, or pure rock.

I might ditch the sledge alright, thinking about trying a big mallet :D
    munkus wrote: »
    Crowbar mighty job for making the guide holes. I bring a small crate or bucket with me driving stakes. The extra height over the stake makes a Hugh difference as opposed to hitting them at shoulder height. And no, I'm not a midget.

Rarely a problem for me at 6'3

munkus wrote: »
    And no, I'm not a midget.

Glad you clarified. I was having images of them lads in Charlie and the chocolate factory!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Glad you clarified. I was having images of them lads in Charlie and the chocolate factory!!

Even at 6' it makes a big difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

C0N0R wrote: »
    I can see why your pricing tyres!!

18,000k hours ain't bad for a back set of tires. She's on her 5th set on the front.
    Any one want to sponser a new tractor for me?? :D

Rarely a problem for me at 6'3
    Jeez, one lad thought you were younger and I thought you would be smaller!! Twould be some fun if we all had to put pictures up of ourselves and try to match up to each poster on here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I have the post driver with the two handles that slide over the post , its way easier than the sledge . If you're passing the way before you're finished driving in the stakes take it with you and try it out .

18,000k hours ain't bad for a back set of tires. She's on her 5th set on the front.
    Any one want to sponser a new tractor for me?? :D

Eh no :p

• Advertisement

Jeez, one lad thought you were younger and I thought you would be smaller!! Twould be some fun if we all had to put pictures up of ourselves and try to match up to each poster on here!!

It could be some photo album :D

moy83 wrote: »
    It could be some photo album :D

More like the usual suspects :D

More like the usual suspects :D

And you're totally innocent of being one :rolleyes:

I'm a master of disguise me.
    I have the post driver with the two handles that slide over the post , its way easier than the sledge . If you're passing the way before you're finished driving in the stakes take it with you and try it out .

Thanks, I'd say we'll be driving them tomorrow though. Always wanted to try one of them.

And you're totally innocent of being one :rolleyes:

Oooooh kovu in from the side with a dig in the ribs :D

Bitta spring cleaning. Nice to milk in a clean parlour.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

Class outfit there Tyson. We landed our 1st purebred part calves over the christmas. They were born from purchased embryos. We got a serious looking Sirex bull and a lovely bull and heifer out of coquin. I think part has alot to offer really looking forward to using more on the commercial herd. Welcome to boards btw

Had ye a good success rate with the Embryos? Were they born by section or naturally? Any chance of a pic?
    Wk old bourvil bull calf, first Calver calved no prob.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1zjuojw1b0rc25/Photo%20Jan%2021%2C%2023%2030%2038.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Bitta spring cleaning. Nice to milk in a clean parlour.

I thought we were the only ones to use concrete mangers! Though when we were milking we had to fill ours with a bucket :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

I thought we were the only ones to use concrete mangers! Though when we were milking we had to fill ours with a bucket :rolleyes:

still good few round here, even in the odd new parlour!!

Oh there coming out :D horrid looking yokes. I'd like to put in one continuous stainless through but don't know if it would work with straight bar. Either way there coming out when new parlour goes in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Oh there coming out :D horrid looking yokes. I'd like to put in one continuous stainless through but don't know if it would work with straight bar. Either way there coming out when new parlour goes in

Should see the state of the ones I have ha. But on the straight stainless ones, its hard to know, much better cow flow with them, and easy to jam heifers etc up tight, but impossible to feed to yeild at all with them.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Should see the state of the ones I have ha. But on the straight stainless ones, its hard to know, much better cow flow with them, and easy to jam heifers etc up tight, but impossible to feed to yeild at all with them.

Have seen sectioned ones. Dont know if it will work it straight bar at back though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Have seen sectioned ones. Dont know if it will work it straight bar at back though

You"ll get a fright when pricing up individual stainless steel troughs was 4, 400 euro for 28 when we put them in last year

jaymla627 wrote: »
    You"ll get a fright when pricing up individual stainless steel troughs was 4, 400 euro for 28 when we put them in last year

When I was in the north last spring I was in one place and your man cut a big sewage pipe in half and put in in concrete. Looked fine. Sequential bailing on parlour though.
    Could cost me 4k for the 12 unit then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭jaymla627

When I was in the north last spring I was in one place and your man cut a big sewage pipe in half and put in in concrete. Looked fine. Sequential bailing on parlour though.
    Could cost me 4k for the 12 unit then?

Yeah for the individual stainless steel pans it will, proberly cheaper ways around it all right, but over the long run the stainless steel will out last every other option worked in a place that had plastic troughs the cows made bits of them regularly, makes a real tidy job of the parlour the stainless option

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Yeah for the individual stainless steel pans it will, proberly cheaper ways around it all right, but over the long run the stainless steel will out last every other option worked in a place that had plastic troughs the cows made bits of them regularly, makes a real tidy job of the parlour the stainless option

What do you think of beer barrels halved ? I used them when we were milking and found them grand . Cheap and the cows wont bust them too easy .

What do you think of beer barrels halved ? I used them when we were milking and found them grand . Cheap and the cows wont bust them too easy .

Hard to get water out of them after you have power washed the parlour I'd say? Mine fill up with water when I wash them

Hard to get water out of them after you have power washed the parlour I'd say? Mine fill up with water when I wash them

Yup , that was a small problem but usually what I couldnt scoop out would be harmless because once the nuts went in they would polish the lot anyhow . A drain hole in the bottom with a plug would sort it out too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

A bit of gunthering with an upside down traffic cone will sort that issue

(you'll get it if you've been following the general gunthering thread.)

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »
    A bit of gunthering with an upside down traffic cone will sort that issue

(you'll get it if you've been following the general gunthering thread.)

Could you make a trough out of those red & white water filled barriers that join together......... I wonder.......... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Had ye a good success rate with the Embryos? Were they born by section or naturally? Any chance of a pic?
    Wk old bourvil bull calf, first Calver calved no prob.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1zjuojw1b0rc25/Photo%20Jan%2021%2C%2023%2030%2038.jpeg[/QUOTE

Bought 6 put in 5 got 3 calves. The big Sirex was a section no way he was comming out!! The 2 coquins were grand handy calves took only a small pull. I'll try get pics up over the weekend...goin ta have ta ask the missus nicely for her clever phone:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Stainless ones here and they a few small holes drilled in the bottom to let water out.

Out for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Jesus its fair dry there!

Out for the day

Does old kneely there in the front ever get under the wire? :D Great land greengrass, if only we had that up here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Out for the day

jayus up here that would be a lawn;)

Does old kneely there in the front ever get under the wire? :D Great land greengrass, if only we had that up here!

She moves around the whole square and grazes under the wire. She's some yoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Eldest son sent me this today -
    awrmvQR?ref=fbp

I don't know how to make the picture show :o

http://9gag.com/gag/awrmvQR?ref=fbp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Spent a bit if time looking for this guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

delaval wrote: »
    Spent a bit if time looking for this guy

You're gonna have to explain that:). Please.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement