Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Panch18 wrote: »
    That photo with your dog sitting on the edge of the rock pool looking out into the countryside is absolutely amazing

that would win prizes

It won me tickets to the ploughing last year :) Electric Ireland had it on their website along with other winners photos. Think I did something else with it too but I forget now.
    He's been published.:p

Ah yes, today the Galway Advertiser, tomorrow the world :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

A change from showing ye the bottom of a drain :D

Seeing as I have cut down the furze, which in fairness were good for shelter, I now have to replace them. Starting to lift old stone walls. Sheep don't need much height to shelter behind so every bit helps. Would like to put in trees too but there is SFA depth up this part of the farm.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111758162@N02/12188558385/
    you could be a while pointing them up:D

Miname wrote: »
    you could be a while pointing them up:D

They will be fired up any which way that will defy gravity and the wind :D

I intend to put a two foot sheep wire fence in that wall so I'll have to wait for my AEOS1 cheque to stumble into my account. Stakes last for ages in a wall which is the good thing about them. No point building the wall now because I'll have to knock gaps for stakes plus level it to the wire.

My uncle owned the fenced land I now farm, before I was in it my Dad used to have sheep in it, but later it was cattle only and they flattened most of the walls.

Ironically the higher part of the farm which is more exposed to the wind has the least walls. While the lower more sheltered part has more walls in better condition plus shelter from the neighbours wood.

Contrary to my plan for improving the farm, with the walls I intend to start at the top of the farm and work my way down. I have been doing it the other way around with spraying, draining, etc.

First photo is this mornings short bit of work. Got another meeting to be at tonight so have to do some work about the house to redress it's tip-like appearance :D
    Second photo will be fun, shows where cattle totally flattened a wall, will have to dig it out then lift it, but it'll all provide shelter in the end so be worthwhile IMV.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111758162@N02/12203879654/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111758162@N02/12203465955/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Is this all done by hand?. I think I have hardship.!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Fair play to ye con. I don't know how I would make a living off that land

• Advertisement

Yes. Drains dug with spade, drag, bar, and pick in some places if the water level doesn't come right for me. Stones dug up with bar, though a tine from a buck rake would be better, lighter and levers just as well. Furze cut down with chainsaw alright. Wheelbarrow usually moves what needs moving though I'd love to have a small digger and a quad & trailer. Spray water used to be wheeled up hill in a wheelbarrow, in a tank in the barrow obviously!, but I have a 12v electric pump and IBC tanks now, so gravity is no longer a problem.
    Fair play to ye con. I don't know how I would make a living off that land

I often wonder about it myself. I was not allowed to build up my SFP for various reasons out of my control, and not of my doing, so Pillar two is quite important to me. I could make a lot more from the animals but no one in authority is willing to put their neck on the line and let me run my own business.

This is why I get so hot under the collar when I hear IFA, Teagasc, and Coveney bleat on about production and harvest 20/20. I had a cut at them in Athenry Monday night about it but like I told Michael Flynn after the meeting, much good it will do me.

Yes. Drains dug with spade, drag, bar, and pick in some places if the water level doesn't come right for me. Stones dug up with bar, though a tine from a buck rake would be better, lighter and levers just as well. Furze cut down with chainsaw alright. Wheelbarrow usually moves what needs moving though I'd love to have a small digger and a quad & trailer. Spray water used to be wheeled up hill in a wheelbarrow, in a tank in the barrow obviously!, but I have a 12v electric pump and IBC tanks now, so gravity is no longer a problem.

I often wonder about it myself. I was not allowed to build up my SFP for various reasons out of my control, and not of my doing, so Pillar two is quite important to me. I could make a lot more from the animals but no one in authority is willing to put their neck on the line and let me run my own business.

This is why I get so hot under the collar when I hear IFA, Teagasc, and Coveney bleat on about production and harvest 20/20. I had a cut at them in Athenry Monday night about it but like I told Michael Flynn after the meeting, much good it will do me.

My mother is up from crossmelina so I have a bit of an idea what the land is like.
    Tough going I'm sure but what will happen if lads like yourself don't look after the land?

My mother is up from crossmelina so I have a bit of an idea what the land is like.
    Tough going I'm sure but what will happen if lads like yourself don't look after the land?

It's already happening, once good farms with no successor now gone to junk with bracken, rushes, and furze. I wouldn't think there's anything being claimed on them TBH in terms of SFP. Most renting them have them for sucklers and don't do a damn thing with them except graze. It's a shame.

Commonage then would be different. You would have invasive species like bracken and furze move in and take over, or indeed rhododendron like in some areas which is a terrible curse. The designations then don't allow the farmer take the effective option of spraying, if they wanted to. Places will be no good to any people once those weeds get established.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

A change from showing ye the bottom of a drain :D

Seeing as I have cut down the furze, which in fairness were good for shelter, I now have to replace them. Starting to lift old stone walls. Sheep don't need much height to shelter behind so every bit helps. Would like to put in trees too but there is SFA depth up this part of the farm.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111758162@N02/12188558385/

So Con, any Urea out yet?

A few new calf pens, couldn't have enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Where'd you source the gates. Looking to do something similar

visatorro wrote: »
    Where'd you source the gates. Looking to do something similar

EC Pratt, Abbeyleix
    Supplied and fitted. All post holes drilled with a core saw, sleeves fitted and concreted. I'll pm no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

delaval wrote: »
    A few new calf pens, couldn't have enough

Very tasty del

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Reggie. wrote: »
    Very tasty del
    Totally agree. There is nothing better to see when going into a yard then a proper set up. Well done.

Base price wrote: »
    Totally agree. There is nothing better to see when going into a yard then a proper set up. Well done.
    true true, a tidy yard is a pleasure to work / arrive into.

I checked out the Sheep forum for some pics of newborn lambs but it seems that there is no photo thread - maybe I am wrong :o
    However any of ye sheep keepers got any pics of newborns?.
    Nothing lifts my spirits more than seeing pictures of newborn lambs particularly if they are out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I checked out the Sheep forum for some pics of newborn lambs but it seems that there is no photo thread - maybe I am wrong :o
    Nothing lifts my spirits more than seeing pictures of newborn lambs particularly if they are out and about.

Here's one of the early ones from the Christmas...havent been lookin as well since, with all the rain!

Weanlings on kale a month ago. Turned out a great crop (over 11t DM per ha) once it recovered from the droughts in July and September.

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Here's one of the early ones from the Christmas...havent been lookin as well since, with all the rain!
    Super picture and many thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

It's already happening, once good farms with no successor now gone to junk with bracken, rushes, and furze. I wouldn't think there's anything being claimed on them TBH in terms of SFP. Most renting them have them for sucklers and don't do a damn thing with them except graze. It's a shame.

Commonage then would be different. You would have invasive species like bracken and furze move in and take over, or indeed rhododendron like in some areas which is a terrible curse. The designations then don't allow the farmer take the effective option of spraying, if they wanted to. Places will be no good to any people once those weeds get established.
    Con, its happening around here too. Older generation slowing down and the land is going to ruin. Around here it's horses that are taking over!!. Anywhere that is being rented is generally not been well looked after.

• Advertisement

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Con, its happening around here too. Older generation slowing down and the land is going to ruin. Around here it's horses that are taking over!!. Anywhere that is being rented is generally not been well looked after.
    hate the sight of horses on land as it does get wrecked with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I took a spin across the Curragh of Kildare today, the land didn't look too bad after them;)
    (The Arab near us runs cattle with the horses to keep the ground from gettin horse sick)

I took a spin across the Curragh of Kildare today, the land didn't look too bad after them;)
    (The Arab near us runs cattle with the horses to keep the ground from gettin horse sick)
    your not allowed on the plains of the curragh nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Wha? And I was gonna stop at Dan Donnellys hollow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Ahh your pulling our leg. Ran many miles over them there plains a decade ago! Great place the Curragh.

just do it wrote: »
    Ahh your pulling our leg. Ran many miles over them there plains a decade ago! Great place the Curragh.

I meant with horses or vehicles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I meant with horses or vehicles

I've got chased off it by the army myself on a motocross bike :P, I was young and stupid at the time I'll admit :P

Timmaay wrote: »
    I've got chased off it by the army myself on a motocross bike :P, I was young and stupid at the time I'll admit :P

Ah my partners in crime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

ive lost the back of my shirt a few times in the curragh on betting on the ponies.went to the curragh rac track for me stag weekend some craic all together,even though iam not in to flat racing

• Advertisement

Con, fair dues to you place looking well when one considers what could happen quickly of neglected. I guarantee I'd take the easy option and plant, hats off to you.

If I wasn't a dairy farmer I'd love sheep. My father started as a sheep farmer till he got married and my mother pushed for cows. Sheep lasted a few years and I remember them lambing and sponging.

He had a great love of sheep and of all my siblings I think I've inherited that Gra. I would stop to admire a flock of ewes and lambs before all other livestock. At a show or the ploughing I'd always visit the sheep. Oh and the nicest meat on the planet!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

and they do a fine job of killing off the trees by eating the bark.
    I must make a confession, I'm not a great horse lover!! There I've said it and I feel better for it!!!

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Weanlings on kale a month ago. Turned out a great crop (over 11t DM per ha) once it recovered from the droughts in July and September.

I'd love to give it a go but reckon the rainfall here is just too high. Do you mind me asking where you're based? (no drought here last summer)

There is a pictures thread in the Sheep forum I believe.

Same as that. My sister "offered" to let her two horses into my place to "eat the furze". I told her when they had the furze eaten where they were to come back to me. Still waiting :D
    delaval wrote: »
    Con, fair dues to you place looking well when one considers what could happen quickly of neglected. I guarantee I'd take the easy option and plant, hats off to you.

If I wasn't a dairy farmer I'd love sheep. My father started as a sheep farmer till he got married and my mother pushed for cows. Sheep lasted a few years and I remember them lambing and sponging.

He had a great love of sheep and of all my siblings I think I've inherited that Gra. I would stop to admire a flock of ewes and lambs before all other livestock. At a show or the ploughing I'd always visit the sheep. Oh and the nicest meat on the planet!!!

You'd be disappointed Del, not enough depth to plant :D Just back from a sheep meeting in Westport. Tell ye this much, it's much easier work with the animals lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Heifers on the hill... Soaking wet but they loving it, great shelter as deep valleys and lots of dry lie in the heather

photo2_zpsbea2720b.jpg

photo1_zps03439b5a.jpg

Bod
    Good to see the plan coming together. I'd say foddering them on the rough days isn't for the faint hearted!

• Advertisement

and they do a fine job of killing off the trees by eating the bark.
    I must make a confession, I'm not a great horse lover!! There I've said it and I feel better for it!!!

Like a weight off your shoulders eh :D

Bod
    Good to see the plan coming together. I'd say foddering them on the rough days isn't for the faint hearted!

Good looking silage there too, that heather must bale up well :D

Very nice shed there green

Very nice shed there green

Front was all open till this year. Was a very cold and wet shed. Nice place to calve cows now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Is there space sheeting on roof??

Muckit wrote: »
    Is there space sheeting on roof??

Nope

I'd love to give it a go but reckon the rainfall here is just too high. Do you mind me asking where you're based? (no drought here last summer)

In Roscommon JDI, lots of rain but very free draining ground.

Works much better in the east of the country alright, but any sandy or rocky ground in the west could work for young stock too... so long as you had run-back access to a dry or rough-grazing field.

Nope

How is it for ventilation?

Had to re-sheet a section of old roof due to recent storm damage. Jeez sheeting ain't cheap!

How is it for ventilation?

Had to re-sheet a section of old roof due to recent storm damage. Jeez sheeting ain't cheap!
    how much did ya pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Was quoted around 2k for sheeting for a 72'x35 shed recently.

Sheeting is bloody dear. I was looking at prices for pole barn or steel building and it'd shoot up once you get to the sheeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Nope

How does the shed ventilate? Is this the first winter with cattle in it since ya closed it in?

td5man wrote: »
    Was quoted around 2k for sheeting for a 72'x35 shed recently.
    to the ground with three sides?
    how high is it? what grade sheeting?

Muckit wrote: »
    How does the shed ventilate? Is this the first winter with cattle in it since ya closed it in?

Ye it is. It was a bit warm in there but its only cows in it so no real problems. It might be changed to a calf shed in the coming yrs so I will do something.
    Cost us 900e to sheet that down and put in timbers

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement