Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

td5man wrote: »
    Roof.
    roof only with no sides, was it .7 sheeting or .5 sheeting

Reggie. wrote: »
    to the ground with three sides?
    how high is it? what grade sheeting?

Roof only.
    15-16'
    0.5 i think

Roof only.
    15-16'
    0.5 i think
    that price sounds about right for .7 sheeting from midland cladding but there is a huge difference between .5 and .7

It could have been for .7 cant remember.
    Thought it was a little dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Ye it is. It was a bit warm in there but its only cows in it so no real problems. It might be changed to a calf shed in the coming yrs so I will do something.
    Cost us 900e to sheet that down and put in timbers

Would larch or pressure treated deal YorkShire boarding have worked out better l wonder? Plenty of light and air and I'd say it'd have worked out a tad cheaper. Save that sheeting for a roof

It could have been for .7 cant remember.
    Thought it was a little dear.
    trust me ya wont get it any cheaper than that anywhere else for any decent grade of cladding

trust me ya wont get it any cheaper than that anywhere else for any decent grade of cladding

I know, haven't bought cladding in a while

I know, haven't bought cladding in a while
    can be a bit of a shock alright if ya aint used to buying it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Muckit wrote: »
    Would larch or pressure treated deal YorkShire boarding have worked out better l wonder? Plenty of light and air and I'd say it'd have worked out a tad cheaper. Save that sheeting for a roof

We had it on it was a disaster. Rain always blew through it and the straw bed would be in ****e

can be a bit of a shock alright if ya aint used to buying it

Used a lot of midland claddings stuff in a previous life.

We had it on it was a disaster. Rain always blew through it and the straw bed would be in ****e
    having same problem with my shed but not an option to sheet it like you did as id never get the tractor into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

OZS heifers

OZS out of TKO cow x HE

having same problem with my shed but not an option to sheet it like you did as id never get the tractor into it

We have it cut a ftvand a half higher than tractor. Once bed hits the foot clean out the shed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I made use of the hospitable part of the day to fill a few bags of sticks for the fire and go rock hunting again. Not exactly hard to find in my part of the world. This area is used by the ewes where they gather to roar at me before feeding time in the Spring. So I raised the wall at the top of the photo and dug out some more stones for the next stage. They had better appreciate the shelter, first one found knocking stones off it gets shot. I've a rock the other side of that wall fell down into a drain many years ago I need to break with the sledge (and safety glasses) before I can move it. Only end up blocking the drain again otherwise.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111758162@N02/12238804103/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Even if you put a second staggered run on inside..like a pallet? Are those sheets you put on gapped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

tanko wrote: »
    OZS heifers
    Nice. What breeding in the black one? Is she for sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

OZS heifers

Nice heifers tanko, what are they like temperament wise?

Black heifer's mother is same colour, she is off a BHH limo x ch cow and a EPN x CF41 scrub bull. Sorry, she's not for sale. Hopefully she'll make a good cow.
    Temperament of OZS calves seems very good. Here's one more of a CF51 x Angus x HE cow.

• Advertisement

OZS of a TKO cow of an OEI cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Craziest calf I ever had was out of OEI, you just gave me a shudder at the thought of him :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Craziest calf I ever had was out of OEI, you just gave me a shudder at the thought of him :o

I can't believe it. We had a couple and they were stone mad. From quiet cows too. FL22 was the new OEI:eek:

You're dead right about OEI, I have a black limo cow out of him and she's nuts, but she has a good calf every year so I keep her:rolleyes:. This is her APZ calf from last year, not one of her best ones but ill keep her on.

The nutcase beside her with the horns is off NSQ who is out of the same cow as OEI i think. Whoever picked these bulls for AI wasn't worrying about docility.

You've very well bred cattle there Tanco, a bit like our own, are you finding it a challenge to retain milk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Tanko, at what age will you bull them and do you know what bulls will you use. I have a black lmxaa which we were thinging of letting up but not sure what to put on her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

Black heifer's mother is same colour, she is off a BHH limo x ch cow and a EPN x CF41 scrub bull. Sorry, she's not for sale. Hopefully she'll make a good cow.
    Temperament of OZS calves seems very good. Here's one more of a CF51 x Angus x HE cow.

What kind of ages are your heifers if you dont mind me asking

Yeah, lack of milk is a problem alrite. Ten years ago I had aax and hex cows with too much milk and all the problems that goes with that. Now I have lmx and chx cows with too little milk. Have fourteen cows in calf to FZF now so hoping for a few heifers this spring.

I have tried a lot of breeds over the years and I still think that the right AAX cow and a CH bull is as good as any combination on poorer land.

Those calves are march/April 2013. I know it's not the done thing nowadays but I don't calve heifers until they're 3 years old. I just think you have a better cow in the long run doing that. Those calves wouldn't be heavy enough to bull this summer.

I'd put a lim like GZP or HCA or maybe an AA like GJB on them. I'm toying with the idea of getting some stabiliser straws too.

Have fourteen cows in calf to FZF now so hoping for a few heifers this spring.

FZF Favori seems to be the bull to produce heifers if all that's written about him is true!

We would have very little AA in our cows now. BA, CH and Lim mainly. A good cow of any breed is a good cow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

Those calves are march/April 2013. I know it's not the done thing nowadays but I don't calve heifers until they're 3 years old. I just think you have a better cow in the long run doing that. Those calves wouldn't be heavy enough to bull this summer.

I'd put a lim like GZP or HCA or maybe an AA like GJB on them. I'm toying with the idea of getting some stabiliser straws too.

Yeah we would usual leave until 30 months or so ourselves eventhough as you say lads you beat you for even thinking of letting them go past 24 months.

y08u.jpg

Here's two heifers we're gonna bull in May. The pic was taken Oct 7th 13, heifers around 8mths at that time. The heifers are a year old now and weigh 420-440kgs. The black is by the Limousine bull Equalizer (FZM) out of a blue/grey cow. The white is by the Simmental bull Newry (KFY) out of a PB Charolais cow.
    We would be thinking of AIing them to Dubai (THZ) Limousine and calving them next spring. All goin well.

IMG_20140131_130017.jpg
    River getting full... Field has a cover of 800 on it. Not good

y08u.jpg

Here's two heifers we're gonna bull in May. The pic was taken Oct 7th 13, heifers around 8mths at that time. The heifers are a year old now and weigh 420-440kgs. The black is by the Limousine bull Equalizer (FZM) out of a blue/grey cow. The white is by the Simmental bull Newry (KFY) out of a PB Charolais cow.
    We would be thinking of AIing them to Dubai (THZ) Limousine and calving them next spring. All goin well.
    Nice stock, would love to pick up a few heifers like the white one, but they seem rare as hens teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭limo_100

what weight would your heifers b tanko would they be roughly be around 300kg?

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Nice stock, would love to pick up a few heifers like the white one, but they seem rare as hens teeth.

I dunno where I'd go to get the like of her, who in their right mind would put a Simm on a ped CH cow :-). And Newry is gone too.
    The black one has got into a lovely heifer too. Her dam had milk so we're hoping she will too.

limo_100 wrote: »
    what weight would your heifers b tanko would they be roughly be around 300kg?

Yeah I suppose they're about 300 -325 kgs.

I dunno where I'd go to get the like of her, who in their right mind would put a Simm on a ped CH cow :-). And Newry is gone too.
    The black one has got into a lovely heifer too. Her dam had milk so we're hoping she will too.
    Now that you brought it up, what was the logic!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

What do you hope to cross back to them evantually genghis , nice heifers btw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Logic and farming in the one sentence:D

hugo29 wrote: »
    yeah thats as strange as making great money and farming

We had tried a bit of Simm to get replacements with milk, out of a few real good cows, and got 3 bulls and only the one heifer. We took a fair hit on the bulls, (2 of them in particular, 1 was very Lim like) and sorta decided not to bother with Simm after that. And even before that we had used Newry a bit and got 1 heifer, I knew he was breeding very well and that straws were very scarce so chanced it!

What do you hope to cross back to them evantually genghis , nice heifers btw

Ultimately Charolais. Easy Lim first or maybe BA. Lim/BA second. Charolais then. Maybe the odd straw for a replacement or something exotic:pac:

I feel I should quote that icon of sanity..... Charlie Manson:

No sense makes sense;)

I feel I should quote that icon of sanity..... Charlie Manson:

No sense makes sense;)
    You'll be quoting Donald rumsfeld next "known knows and the unknown knowns"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

That's actually a favourite quote of mine, and one that makes sense if examined. I think the fun poking was aimed at the man and not the statement.

• Advertisement

wrec.jpg

Here's another heifer off our own Ch bull out of a Lim/Simm cow. To look at her she's more Simm looking than the white heifer that is half Simm. Photo was taken 7th Oct last, she's a serious heifer now 420/440kgs and not a year old yet. We won't bull her, she's very beefy and likely won't milk.
    This years crop of heifers are as probably the best we had.

That's actually a favourite quote of mine, and one that makes sense if examined. I think the fun poking was aimed at the man and not the statement.
    I agree, if anyone else said it and probably in a different context it would be up there with the best of the iconic statements. Imagine if JFK had come out with it around the time of the issue with the Russians and Cuba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

But it's the unknown unknowns that'll get you every time. The test is in how you deal with it when the slurry hits the splashplate.

wrec.jpg

Here's another heifer off our own Ch bull out of a Lim/Simm cow. To look at her she's more Simm looking than the white heifer that is half Simm. Photo was taken 7th Oct last, she's a serious heifer now 420/440kgs and not a year old yet. We won't bull her, she's very beefy and likely won't milk.
    This years crop of heifers are as probably the best we had.

Don't suppose you have a pic of your CH bull. As you use euro gene bulls, do you know anything about TUT?

Don't suppose you have a pic of your CH bull. As you use euro gene bulls, do you know anything about TUT?

Never used TUT. We would use very few AI Charolais bulls cos we run a CH bull ourselves (Out of a few PB CH cows).

I'll rummage out a pic of the Charolais bull, (now gone to the big field in the sky:)). He was nothing special to look at, in fact he was shortish, and needed every inch of height he had. But he was easy calved, easy handled, great thickness, bred very well.
    He was by Alcazar (AZA) in Dovea out of a Sylvain (SLV) cow.

Sorta sorry he's gone now. But we have a new pretender that is a lovely looking bull.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement