Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Base price wrote: »
    Best of luck with her.
    Years ago had a CHx heifer that went down due to a difficult calving. She went down in the crush while the vet sectioned the calf. The vet advised us to drag her out of the crush with the tractor (loop around her forelegs) and bring her to the field. Her back legs were paralysed and she could not stand. We put her in a rope sling hoisted from the front loader for a few hours every day and moved her to a new spot each day. Propped her up with bales, fed her meal sprinkled with glucose, hay and electrolytes and covered her with old horse rugs and a old carpet at night. She was down for 17 days but eventually made it through.
    If you have the time and are willing to stick with them then they will normally pull through, but it does take time, commitment and lots of patience.
    IMO it is better time spent than phoning for the dead lorry to come and paying them to take them away.

Thanks. I'd say she used up all her energy yesterday standing up for the whole day. Dont want to see a loorry here again. Knackery used to be here more than the milk lorry at one time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭adne

Best of luck with her.
    Years ago had a CHx heifer that went down due to a difficult calving. She went down in the crush while the vet sectioned the calf. The vet advised us to drag her out of the crush with the tractor (loop around her forelegs) and bring her to the field. Her back legs were paralysed and she could not stand. We put her in a rope sling hoisted from the front loader for a few hours every day and moved her to a new spot each day. Propped her up with bales, fed her meal sprinkled with glucose, hay and electrolytes and covered her with old horse rugs and a old carpet at night. She was down for 17 days but eventually made it through.
    If you have the time and are willing to stick with them then they will normally pull through, but it does take time, commitment and lots of patience.
    IMO it is better time spent than phoning for the dead lorry to come and paying them to take them away.

Had one down for 5 weeks last year, stick with her, maize in the feed is a great source of energy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Thanks. I'd say she used up all her energy yesterday standing up for the whole day. Dont want to see a loorry here again. Knackery used to be here more than the milk lorry at one time
    I completely understand that it is difficult to farm when your parents or in-laws interfere (been there, have the scars and all) but in my opinion you have the give the animal the best chance as your gut instinct feels.
    It is not easy to go against advise from older people, sometimes it is right, sometimes it is wrong, but at the end of the day you have to row your own boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Wouldn't stand today. And she was getting on very week yesterday. Wanted to do that but father wouldn't aggre. She is attempting to get up but hasn't got the strength to. She us on s deep bed of straw too.
    Gave here warm water and glucose today

Fluxnin, hydrate, and some rest and recovery. She probably needs time to heal. I found a nice ch heifer stuck in a feed barrier yesterday morning, she should be okay but Im not trying to get her standing yet.

I completely understand that it is difficult to farm when your parents or in-laws interfere (been there, have the scars and all) but in my opinion you have the give the animal the best chance as your gut instinct feels.
    It is not easy to go against advise from older people, sometimes it is right, sometimes it is wrong, but at the end of the day you have to row your own boat.

Ah my father is well used to lifting cows. Has had lots of them over the years but the weather is a bit rough at the moment to out her out in the field. She will be using her energy to keep warm instead of healing

• Advertisement

Fluxnin, hydrate, and some rest and recovery. She probably needs time to heal. I found a nice ch heifer stuck in a feed barrier yesterday morning, she should be okay but Im not trying to get her standing yet.

What's fluxin bob?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Ah my father is well used to lifting cows. Has had lots of them over the years but the weather is a bit rough at the moment to out her out in the field. She will be using her energy to keep warm instead of healing

Have you a horse rug to throw over her , it would be a good help to keep her warm

moy83 wrote: »
    Have you a horse rug to throw over her , it would be a good help to keep her warm

We left the lifter in her. Keeps her fairly warm. No horse rug unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

What's fluxin bob?
    Brilliant stuff
    Non steroidal anti inflammatory ( I think)

If you ever have ecoli mastitis that + marbycil is excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

maxxuumman wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff

Do hos get ecoli? I'd say with the fancy gadgets ye have sure ye'd know she was getting it the week before!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭stanflt

maxxuumman wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff

i find reomacam with cobacton and a drench of chanadol the trick for ecoli or a downer cow

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

We use old blanket the it on front and back. Keeps heat in.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭jd06

tanko wrote: »
    Don't suppose you have a pic of your CH bull. As you use euro gene bulls, do you know anything about TUT?

I use eurogene, and have one TUT calf. nice calf, cow calved herself too. TUT is supposed to have all the stars and good realibility. anyone else any experience of him??

stanflt wrote: »
    i find reomacam with cobacton and a drench of chanadol the trick for ecoli or a downer cow

presume reomacam some form of metacam? Cobactan is a super product, I find you get a serious quick reaction but short lived, I use a good bit of Ceftiofur, as cobactan is too dear for beef animals :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

adne wrote: »
    Had one down for 5 weeks last year, stick with her, maize in the feed is a great source of energy
    once theres no broken bones we give them a week, its also important not to hurt yourself . Fairplay for doing 5 weeks. Do you ever notice a downer cow eats and drinks alot when you have to carry it all to them

how is she today, would she need some more calcium?

biddy2013 wrote: »
    how is she today, would she need some more calcium?

Didn't really stand today her front legs haven't got the power. Back ones working fine. Still plenty of fight in her though. She didn't want to sit down today but was still using harness to hold herself up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Twin IRX bull calves.

Didn't really stand today her front legs haven't got the power. Back ones working fine. Still plenty of fight in her though. She didn't want to sit down today but was still using harness to hold herself up

disregard my advice:D:D, my lovely young heifer was as dead as a dodo this morning. She must have hemorrhaged while stuck in the barrier. Its funny as we were going replacing those barriers in rented shed on Saturday but didnt because of the weather. found animal trapped later in the day. You need luck some days :rolleyes:

disregard my advice:D:D, my lovely young heifer was as dead as a dodo this morning. She must have hemorrhaged while stuck in the barrier. Its funny as we were going replacing those barriers in rented shed on Saturday but didnt because of the weather. found animal trapped later in the day. You need luck some days :rolleyes:

What sort of barriers are they? Diagonal? Heifers here always getting caught or out through them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Twin IRX bull calves.

A fine pair they are! Pedigree Calves?
    Will mammy have a fair stab at rearing them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

A fine pair they are! Pedigree Calves?
    Will mammy have a fair stab at rearing them?
    No they out of a bbx. No bother feeding them, you could put her through the parlour. My best cow by a mile she has it every way

No they out of a bbx. No bother feeding them, you could put her through the parlour. My best cow by a mile she has it every way

That's what ya want. It's great to get twins from a good cow that's able to rear them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Have a lady here in not much better shape 2bh. She calved last week, we got a fr heifer out of her at least, but she has been very lame the last month or so, both the vet and the hoof pairer said they can do nothing for her. I'm leaving her in a shed on herown, but another cow pucked her to the ground this evening, she spend 3hrs sitting there and eventually got up, I was fairly sure I'd be calling the knackery for her.

My dad spent wayyy too much money on a harness here last year, 2bh I think they are a waste, when the cow is gone that far, I'd rather call the knackery and be done with it, the odds of a recovery are low enough, and it almost always happens at a bad time, ie right now in the middle of calving, last thing I'd want to be doing is wasting afew hrs on a cow as such, probably at the expense of attention to other animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I like that harness. It has the cow in mind. We have the hip clamp thing, bit barbaric but it works. Rolling her into the bucket and out into a field is the best but too wet at the moment.

Gillespy wrote: »
    I like that harness. It has the cow in mind. We have the hip clamp thing, bit barbaric but it works. Rolling her into the bucket and out into a field is the best but too wet at the moment.

For 400e it would want to have the cow in mind ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

utce.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I notice the For Sale sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

For 400e it would want to have the cow in mind ha

Thats fairly pricey alright. But hopefully it'd last at least 10 years

• Advertisement

Thats fairly pricey alright. But hopefully it'd last at least 10 years
    until the neighbours get a lend and ya never see it again

I notice the For Sale sign.

I wonder what the auctioneer's description is? Top quality summer grazing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭ABlur

just do it wrote: »

Is that the place in Ennis where they had plans to move the GAA grounds to during the boom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Funnily enough I saw a similar sign on the Sligo road to Ballina last week. Big sign in the middle of a flood "Top Quality Land for Sale".

I would have taken a pic but the lads in the cop car behind me probably wouldn't have approved.

biddy2013 wrote: »
    until the neighbours get a lend and ya never see it again

Neighbour that helped us put it on the other day said they have one but no one knows they do. Best way I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

This is starting to look like a big job. Seems to be more wall in the ground than there is standing, a lot of smaller stones, not easy built.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111758162@N02/12305429046/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

This is starting to look like a big job. Seems to be more wall in the ground than there is standing, a lot of smaller stones, not easy built.

Those round stones are a pig to build with anyway. They would all want a crack of the sledge to have a flat side on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭mikefoxo

Plenty of spud stones if ever ye need them:D

ABlur wrote: »
    Is that the place in Ennis where they had plans to move the GAA grounds to during the boom?
    That's right, to the side of the dual carriageway between the clarecastle roundabout and the motorway. Sold for big money during the good times:rolleyes:

Drive that road regularly but only this week spotted the sign. Must have been put up before Christmas before the rain.

Have 1-2 acres under seawater currently. Must take a photo although its not much good without a before and after. Will probably get it back this year but I currently value it at €0 as with the rising tide level it surely hasn't great long term prospects.

Anyone have a good app for measuring altitude? Would love to know how much above sea level it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭ABlur

That's right, to the side of the dual carriageway between the clarecastle roundabout and the motorway. Sold for big money during the good times:rolleyes:

Drive that road regularly but only this week spotted the sign. Must have been put up before Christmas before the rain.

The sign is up since late last year, another distressed asset. Don't know how they could have built anything on it except on stilts it always floods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

298 days KIlmoney Bruce heifer calf unassisted .. Glad of my calving bay tonight ...threw calf up on quad and away up the field with cow in hot pursuit
    .. Horrible night here
    photo_zpsd42114ff.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^ BA x Ch . My favorite cross. Bet she'll be a smasher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I definitely did not read that as BAxCh and I was wondering what he did to you :eek::D

She will be nice alright as I have a white char 2012 heifer kept out of this lady already and she is very fancy but I will not be keeping any calves this year.. I am fully stocked and need a winter off from keeping heifer calves! im always keeping them and have enough now :-)

^^ I CALL DIBS!

.Kovu. wrote: »
    ^^ I CALL DIBS!
    Let the bidding begin :D

Let the bidding begin :D

She'll be sold before she's even registered :D

Bodacious wrote: »
    She will be nice alright as I have a white char 2012 heifer kept out of this lady already and she is very fancy but I will not be keeping any calves this year.. I am fully stocked and need a winter off from keeping heifer calves! im always keeping them and have enough now :-)

Shur isn't most of the winter behind us now. What age do you normally sell heifers at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Shur isn't most of the winter behind us now.....

Famous last words!!!

Shur isn't most of the winter behind us now. What age do you normally sell heifers at?

Hope to sell all calves Oct/Nov but past few years ive been buying in the odd nice local heifer weanling and keeping my own as was building numbers

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement