Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

took this picture this week

aiming for silage in march and closing it again for silage in may

and im in the same county as Connemara ! hard to believe

will top it up with nitrogen in weeks time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

wow whens it growing since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Hard to believe it was taken this week. Looks like a good crop all the same

f140 wrote: »
    wow whens it growing since.

mid October

got some p and k that time

should be good crop in march if we get a dry spell

the subsequent crop in may will be super, nice and clean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Theres bog in Meath and half of Co Tipperary receives Disadvantaged area payment.

If we had the soil under that grass there's no doubt we'd have that grass ;)

Theres bog in Meath and half of Co Tipperary receives Disadvantaged area payment.

If we had the soil under that grass there's no doubt we'd have that grass ;)

ahh ya, but its credit for the farmers management too ! :D

I wont argue about the soil in my place its top notch and it would want to be for what i paid for the land:pac:

theres a guy 2 miles away that stripped over 1 foot of soil off all his land and sold it for top dollar, it amazes me the condition that it is in at the moment, he left just enough soil to till a crop of grass in it, I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing though

ahh ya, but its credit for the farmers management too ! :D

I wont argue about the soil in my place its top notch and it would want to be for what i paid for the land:pac:

theres a guy 2 miles away that stripped over 1 foot of soil off all his land and sold it for top dollar, it amazes me the condition that it is in at the moment, he left just enough soil to till a crop of grass in it, I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing though

Self praise is no praise :p

Ah no, tis a lovely field of grass to be fair. I have a bit coming along but it's nothing like that, have it saved since early December and will get a little fert in late Feb or early March before lambing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

25 years feed our silage here

And coming to the end of the first pit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Darragh thats one hell of a clean silage pit face!

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Darragh thats one hell of a clean silage pit face!

Not bad for a 25 year old shear grab. My dad would be a great man for general maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

A BYU bb x lim heifer I bred myself calved down @ 280days (must be taking short gestation from BB sire)

Right good calf for a heifer's calf and nice bit of white in forehead

photo_zpsdc670c1a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Bodacious wrote: »
    A BYU bb x lim heifer I bred myself calved down @ 280days (must be taking short gestation from BB sire)

Right good calf for a heifer's calf and nice bit of white in forehead

photo_zpsdc670c1a.jpg

Looks like a tidy shelter there Bod. They fecken need it at the moment. Does it open out onto the winterage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

just do it wrote: »
    Looks like a tidy shelter there Bod. They fecken need it at the moment. Does it open out onto the winterage?

Its in the winterage ... I posted pics of it when we were building it ..its only 22ft by 14ft but ive divided it into two .. ive a left hand side crush gate and a regular gate mounted on it (my own calving gate).. when weather dries up I need to put floor in and set crush gate/calving gate into floor.. its a gift @ 4.30am in lashing rain.. calf up onto the petrol tank of the quad and in ta fxxk
    photo_zps6bdd30b2.jpg

yesterdays blonde heifer calf in other pen

photo_zps46d53ebc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

coming to the end of the first pit

What's the idea with all the forks dar?

Muckit wrote: »
    What's the idea with all the forks dar?

They are old forks that are worn down and have half rotten handles, we use six or seven or them across the pit to make sure the sheets don't unravel forward in the high wind. We are in a fairly exposed area right on the coast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Heifers to calve in autumn having there grub
    https://imageshack.us/a/img191/5200/p9ok.jpg opt_IMG_20140209_123825.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/bzs8.jpg
    Think this lad will be getting the high road, starting to chase cows that join the herd after calving

Bodacious wrote: »
    Its in the winterage ... I posted pics of it when we were building it ..its only 22ft by 14ft but ive divided it into two .. ive a left hand side crush gate and a regular gate mounted on it (my own calving gate).. when weather dries up I need to put floor in and set crush gate/calving gate into floor.. its a gift @ 4.30am in lashing rain.. calf up onto the petrol tank of the quad and in ta fxxk
    Did you do the stone work yourself? Tidy job. What ever about how you feel at 4.30am in the lashing rain, I'd say the calves are delighted:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Few hardy girls out for their daily fix of meal..
    Its not as tough as it looks.. They have a straw bedded shed and access to a paddock too...

cjvh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Bbam, totally off topic and apologies if you updated already but how did you get on with your recent car trouble?

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Bbam, totally off topic and apologies if you updated already but how did you get on with your recent car trouble?

Had to get injectors rebuilt and that was it. With labour it was a €700 mistake :(

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »
    Had to get injectors rebuilt and that was it. With labour it was a €700 mistake :(

Bad enough but could have been worse i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Few hardy girls out for their daily fix of meal.......

howw do they all get their heads into the bucket??? :D

Muckit wrote: »
    howw do they all get their heads into the bucket??? :D
    Saves on meal ;)

Seriously... trough is behind them..

Hate foddering in the dark after work... this way I get them beside me in the light where I can get a decent look at them..

Saves on meal ;)

Seriously... trough is behind them..

Hate foddering in the dark after work... this way I get them beside me in the light where I can get a decent look at them..

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

you are part of an old estate there I would say? Looks like a lovely setting

Panch18 wrote: »
    you are part of an old estate there I would say? Looks like a lovely setting

Some up keep on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

firstly you might as well take the whole wall down because it will all fall down eventually.

secondly use the base stones from the previous wall to have a good steady foundation which is crucial.

Thirldly slowly with accurcery place each stone on top of each other accordingly. try to have smooth flat stones which fit tightly together.

Take your time to do a proper neat job otherwise you will be back to square one . Here is some additional help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMXdAr2WkgA good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Some up keep on it

I can only imagine

firstly you might as well take the whole wall down because it will all fall down eventually.

secondly use the base stones from the previous wall to have a good steady foundation which is crucial.

Thirldly slowly with accurcery place each stone on top of each other accordingly. try to have smooth flat stones which fit tightly together.

Take your time to do a proper neat job otherwise you will be back to square one . Here is some additional help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMXdAr2WkgA good luck

Ye all we have been doing for the last while is putting fallun stones back in.

That will take a good while to rebuild. Ideally you would want to keep piles of different stomlbe sizes.

How much would a stone mason want to do such a job?
    There could be 100 metres of walls there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

The trees there are going to be a problem no matter what wall you put next to them . Could you reroute the wall a few feet behind them so the movement wont be shaking the wall in the wind . Or maybe replace that section with post an rail .
    Im no expert but some stone walls in olden times would have been built in 18" layers to allow for movement like that , maybe a good expierenced stone mason would be worth chatting to anyhow just to get an idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Ye all we have been doing for the last while is putting fallun stones back in.

That will take a good while to rebuild. Ideally you would want to keep piles of different stomlbe sizes.

How much would a stone mason want to do such a job?
    There could be 100 metres of walls there
    A good stone mason will cost anywhere from 40-70 per square meter. I'd agree with what was said beforestrip back and rebuild. The other option would be slap them up and slobber them with morter but that would look desperate, they dont look like that easy a stone to build.

You're not in too bad a shape there, you've a bank behind them to work with. Agree they don't look great to work with, so use the bank to give a very slight lean back and you'll get them back up just fine.

Ye the trees are the problem alright. But the entrance wouldn't look near as nice with out the wall.
    Were no stone masons but we'll do our best. Aldo have a a dozen trees to cut up as well.
    A lot on roadways

Darragh I think we have the same sheargrab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

moy83 wrote: »

A Parmiter grab on an Australian International! :cool:

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    A Parmiter grab on an Australian International! :cool:

I never knew it was australian . The father pulled it out of a bog hole at least 15 years ago after two brothers had a row over land and one of them sunk it on the other purposely and left it rot for a few years in spite !
    She is a miser on juice and pretty reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I never knew it was australian . The father pulled it out of a bog hole at least 15 years ago after two brothers had a row over land and one of them sunk it on the other purposely and left it rot for a few years in spite !
    She is a miser on juice and pretty reliable

Sorry Moy, I was just being a smart-ar5e, the picture appears upside down on my laptop....

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Sorry Moy, I was just being a smart-ar5e, the picture appears upside down on my laptop....

No bother , I was thinking tis a long way from Australia now anyhow !

• Advertisement

Yeah moy, same one. We have a 4 and a half foot (or is it a 5ft) parameter on the 50B. Could never find fault with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Is that the wall problem i see fixed in the background Moy? :)

Himself fixed that by welding 4 lads across and screwed sheeting on the outside .
    The sheargrab was blocking the feed passageway while we we reading the test ( all clear thank god )

Yeah moy, same one. We have a 4 and a half foot (or is it a 5ft) parameter on the 50B. Could never find fault with it.

I think ours is 4' 6" aswell . Couldnt fault it but it could do with a full set of prongs and new cutting edge at this stage . And I think a good secondhand one could be got cheaper than replacing all them bits .
    She is not leaving the face too bad yet though

You've a fair memory John. Had to go back and take a sneaky look ;)

Must be a pain feeding in the rain

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Must be a pain feeding in the rain

Not for me :D . The father does 90% of the silage feeding . He is getting on though , he wouldnt roll back the plastic on the pit yesterday because of the weather so threw them in a bale with the tractor instead and got me to roll it back today .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Not for me :D . The father does 90% of the silage feeding . He is getting on though , he wouldnt roll back the plastic on the pit yesterday because of the weather so threw them in a bale with the tractor instead and got me to roll it back today .
    Your alright mine decided to cut covers and all with the grab right in the middle too after me spending ages trying to keep them neat and some way reuseable.

Miname wrote: »
    Your alright mine decided to cut covers and all with the grab right in the middle too after me spending ages trying to keep them neat and some way reuseable.

We must have plastic going back 15 years :rolleyes: . One new cover every year and the previous 2 ontop of that . He keeps the others neatly bundled up till they go brittle and then gets rid of them .
    I think I would get the road if I cut it with the grab :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We must have plastic going back 15 years :rolleyes: . One new cover every year and the previous 2 ontop of that . He keeps the others neatly bundled up till they go brittle and then gets rid of them .
    I think I would get the road if I cut it with the grab :D
    One never knows when ye need to cover something with old silage covers, be it a cow down after a hard calving, a roof blown off a shed or in our case on Tuesday the roof of the 50b. The roof was blown down a hill about 700 yds and only for the sheep wire would have settled in the bottom of the lake.

I think ours is 4' 6" aswell . Couldnt fault it but it could do with a full set of prongs and new cutting edge at this stage . And I think a good secondhand one could be got cheaper than replacing all them bits .
    She is not leaving the face too bad yet though

Our one has still the original cutting edge but its on its 3rd or 4th set of prongs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement