Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Had to reposition the hay feeder today in this lovely weather. Only three days of use had turned the previous spot into a mud bath. While disassembling it I needed to remove two wood screws joining the feeder to the stakes. To do this I needed to prop up the tin sheet "roof" with a bit of timber to get at the screw heads. No problem usually, except today we had a strong Easterly wind, it's usually coming from the West, which pulled the 8 long screws joining the roof to the frame timbers right out and flipped the roof 15 feet away. Luckily nothing and no one was standing in the way. Minor roof repair tomorrow I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

The branches and trees would fall into a reseed wouldn't they?https://imageshack.us/a/img208/1682/p3zw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

IMG_20140215_163413_zpsln2ghc60.jpg found this big boy this am he is by MBP cow is my biggest believe it or not she by fl22 hence the milk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Well done to that cow, MBP puts serious muscle into calves.

tanko wrote: »
    Well done to that cow, MBP puts serious muscle into calves.

Jesus don't say that ...just looking at ai dockets have 2 handy cows incalf to him and one is massive with a month to go !!!

mikeoh wrote: »
    Jesus don't say that ...just looking at ai dockets have 2 handy cows incalf to him and one is massive with a month to go !!!

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. Three years ago,I had four calves off him, three heifers and a bull. The heifers landed no bother. The bull was off a small cow who was overfat at calving. Myself and the vet bent a jack getting him out but all turned out well. I don't consider him easy calving but as long as you're about when they're calving I'm sure all will be well.

Time for diet and exercise so!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

m/user/Muckit1/media/2014-02-15124244_zps9185ab8f.jpg.html]2014-02-15124244_zps9185ab8f.jpg[/URL]

2014-02-15124401_zps3d8afc94.jpg

Out for a walk of the ranch today and found this couple off for a dip for valentine's weekend :D They mate for life apparently. 8 others in another group. My phone would have to die. Another day. This water ain't going anywhere soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

IMG_20140215_163413_zpsln2ghc60.jpg found this big boy this am he is by MBP cow is my biggest believe it or not she by fl22 hence the milk

fine cow that .. is fl22 good for milk?

Muckit wrote: »
    m/user/Muckit1/media/2014-02-15124244_zps9185ab8f.jpg.html]2014-02-15124244_zps9185ab8f.jpg[/URL]

2014-02-15124401_zps3d8afc94.jpg

Out for a walk of the ranch today and found this couple off for a dip for valentine's weekend :D They mate for life apparently. 8 others in another group. My phone would have to die. Another day. This water ain't going anywhere soon.

Still not fixed that drinker by the looks of the photo :confused:

• Advertisement

Went on take the some photos from the same location, but wouldn't you know phone battery near dead. Bloody smartphone. Anyway trough nowhee to be seen now, totally submerged and there's a ripple on the top of water indicating there's a good depth there now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

He mustn't be on the meter yet

moy83 wrote: »
    He mustn't be on the meter yet

Sure isn't it because of lads like him they're going to meter the rest of us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Some calf mike. Looks a savage altogether. Have you many MBP calves. I'm thinking of using him this year

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

Wouldn't get too concerned about that, calved six heifers that were in calf to MBP last august and they all calved handy enough...think I only jacked one, have to say the calves are exceptional I must put up a few pictures. The calves were muscly and long, surprised this bull isn't talked about a lot more.

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Some calf mike. Looks a savage altogether. Have you many MBP calves. I'm thinking of using him this year

He is my first....put them in tonight and he is the same size as a decent 10 day old pb aa bull calf i have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Wouldn't get too concerned about that, calved six heifers that were in calf to MBP last august and they all calved handy enough...think I only jacked one, have to say the calves are exceptional I must put up a few pictures. The calves were muscly and long, surprised this bull isn't talked about a lot more.

Same as that , we had no bad pulls with MBP . He gave the best calves that we ever had and from middling cows aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

have to agree with you MBP was the only limousin we used for ai in 2012 and most cows calved on their own last year. then after 2/3 weeks the calves were filling out very well. have a few due to calve off him very soon too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Went on take the some photos from the same location, but wouldn't you know phone battery near dead. Bloody smartphone. Anyway trough nowhee to be seen now, totally submerged and there's a ripple on the top of water indicating there's a good depth there now

How many LU/Ha do the count for?

• Advertisement

A great job. Doing very little poaching. Could be the way to go. Just need to get them used to the electric fence! :D

Bit of easy fencing

Bodacious wrote: »
    fine cow that .. is fl22 good for milk?

He was!..rip now

I'm just wondering was FL22 any good for milk?:D:D I see MBP has a calving difficulty of 7.4% which isn't too bad at all. Suppose I shouldn't be judging him on one small fat cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Bit of easy fencing

You could make a fortune on seaweed fertiser;)

You could make a fortune on seaweed fertiser;)

Nice weed there now alright. Though anyone looking for a bit of seaweed to throw out didn't have to go off road at all around here lately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Bit of easy fencing

are ur stakes upside down :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bit of easy fencing

It ll crown ya

GY A1 wrote: »
    are ur stakes upside down :D

Is this where I have been going wrong all these years :eek:

They're set in concrete, had to quarry out the stones from the top of the shore years ago to make pots for the concrete, then a wall running under the fence, was a lot of fun.......... But it held well in fairness.

Is this where I have been going wrong all these years :eek:

They're set in concrete, had to quarry out the stones from the top of the shore years ago to make pots for the concrete, then a wall running under the fence, was a lot of fun.......... But it held well in fairness.

Bloody hardship. A lot to be said about a post driver in a field :cool:

Reggie. wrote: »
    Bloody hardship. A lot to be said about a post driver in a field :cool:

Had to be done, the sheep were going down into the shore past the fence and going miles. Didn't think the stakes would have lasted this long tbh.

• Advertisement

Had to be done, the sheep were going down into the shore past the fence and going miles. Didn't think the stakes would have lasted this long tbh.

Did something similar next to a lake but we just had to reverse the tractor as far back as it would go into the water

Did something similar next to a lake but we just had to reverse the tractor as far back as it would go into the water

Lol, while I was slipping & sliding in the shore I was wondering how a tractor and post banger would get on :D

Lots of fencing jobs on this week. Pretty much every fence the ould fella has near the sea has been damaged or destroyed. Six places I can think of.

Lol, while I was slipping & sliding in the shore I was wondering how a tractor and post banger would get on :D

Lots of fencing jobs on this week. Pretty much every fence the ould fella has near the sea has been damaged or destroyed. Six places I can think of.

Just looked out across the paddocks yesterday and noticed a good few strands were loose so I've to go out with the hammer and a few staples myself at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Just looked out across the paddocks yesterday and noticed a good few strands were loose so I've to go out with the hammer and a few staples myself at some stage.

The last few posts bring this to mind for some reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5kZ4uIUC0

The last few posts bring this to mind for some reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5kZ4uIUC0

Cheeky bugger :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

That's ETTG agenda sorted for next week :D

Yeah suggesting merging the farming sectors together, our saviours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Make me mad...
    And the times I had the arms kicked of me trying to get a heifer let her own calf suck !! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

good cross saler piggy. ham and beef sorted

• Advertisement

https://imageshack.us/a/img839/4142/sv9d.jpg
    Stretching the silage a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I had a dream once that we put a cow in claf to a pig because it would be easy calving. made perfect sense at the time :rolleyes:

The hay & Straw load height derogation was put into effect immediately :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Ready for more heifer calves?????

Should have fixed them pins when I found out :(https://imageshack.us/a/img24/2350/svo9.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

Should have fixed them pins when I found out :(https://imageshack.us/a/img24/2350/svo9.jpg

what is she. be careful with those blocks under it- there not fierce strong.

f140 wrote: »
    what is she. be careful with those blocks under it- there not fierce strong.

She's was resting on the loader at the time.
    Casec4240
    May find and axle now.
    This is why I hate machinery. Just the bar basic amount and a good easy maintained tractor. Having said that its my own fault. She has done a lot if work and not looked after properly.

Just be thankful your not putting pins in you arms. Get rid of that 9" cavity and use timber blocks or stumps like a good man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

Just be thankful your not putting pins in you arms. Get rid of that 9" cavity and use timber blocks or stumps like a good man.

yes I remember a few years ago the health and safety man came and did an unannounced inspection and was trying to convince me to get a set of axle stands. I stood firm and told him there was nothing safer than solid timber blocks to have under something like that and wasn't going to change at this hour of my life

• Advertisement

I'm not really mad on metal on metal. Very weary of it sliding off. Timber will bed in. I know they are rated but always think those rachets on stands ain't up to much either. Give me a good round of larch any day, if it'll hold up a tree, it'll support tractor axle!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement