Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

blue5000 wrote: »
    Sorry about quality of my camera phone, U=3- Aubrac X angus bull cashed in last week. One on left is not mine.

I was wondering why there was carcass pictures coming up on my facebook feed! :D:D

What sort of age was he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

moy83 wrote: »
    I think they had a few counts on hills closer to me Con and found a few .

It would really be a shame to lose them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

sheebadog wrote: »
    It would really be a shame to lose them.

It would . I never knew they were there until there was they did a few searches for them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Have you many of them killed now blue ? And are you happy with that cross ?
    Just two killed so far, nice cross, first heifers calving soon.
    tanko wrote: »
    Very nice, what age and weight was he?
    23 months, bit light, 355kg, killed one off grass last autumn 295 kg. Poor grass last spring set them back as I stopped the meal last january aiming to go to grass early march, but didn't happen till nearly may, plus silage last yr was poor.
    .Kovu. wrote: »
    I was wondering why there was carcass pictures coming up on my facebook feed! :D:D;)

What sort of age was he?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

The steaks have never been higher:cool:

mgBDtm0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Maby there is loads of copper in it! Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

And we're off!! She was meant to be calving to a limo bull in April :rolleyes: Another springer to calf tonight aswell id say....yellow weather warning aswell, lovely :(

photo_zps5d6b88c2.jpg

Looks to be off a CH! Was she off galavanting on you:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

And we're off!! She was meant to be calving to a limo bull in April :rolleyes: Another springer to calf tonight aswell id say....yellow weather warning aswell, lovely :(

photo_zps5d6b88c2.jpg

Let me guess, the shed is on another bit of land?

• Advertisement

Let me guess, the shed is on another bit of land?

Whats a shed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

....yellow weather warning aswell, lovely :(

Toughen up there......... It's only yellow, a stiff breeze:D

Off to a nice start there, grand thick looking calf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Whats a shed :D

Ah ! Sorry, was Bodacious I was thinking about with the shed :o

Looks to be off a CH! Was she off galavanting on you:P

I have a feeling she was acting the slut alright!!

Toughen up there......... It's only yellow, a stiff breeze:D

Off to a nice start there, grand thick looking calf.

Handy enough little heifer calf in all honesty but shes alive anyway, amazing considering the night we had. Cant see the calves being too big with us this year, the cows are only eating to keep themselves warm since December. No let up in this sh1tty weather at all. Hopefully the springer will hold out for the night but her dug is bursting and her baren is hanging off her.

Handy enough little heifer calf in all honesty but shes alive anyway, amazing considering the night we had. Cant see the calves being too big with us this year, the cows are only eating to keep themselves warm since December. No let up in this sh1tty weather at all. Hopefully the springer will hold out for the night but her dug is bursting and her baren is hanging off her.

Jesus, you've lost me completely! I know what you're saying but I have never ever heard those terms before:eek:

• Advertisement

Jesus, you've lost me completely! I know what you're saying but I have never ever heard those terms before:eek:

Different parts of the country I suppose, those are the terms I was brought up with anyway and everyone else around seems to use them. No more than if you were talking to someone from Mayo/Sligo/Roscommon they would be talking about some buck they knew. Never heard anyone called a buck around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

The baren (or as we would pronounce it bearings) I know fine well, but I never heard of a dug? Is it the elder?

Around us a dug would be something fairly poor, or crocked, or big/heavy or crude. You'd call it an oul dug of a yoke:)

Different parts of the country I suppose, those are the terms I was brought up with anyway and everyone else around seems to use them. No more than if you were talking to someone from Mayo/Sligo/Roscommon they would be talking about some buck they knew. Never heard anyone called a buck around here.

We have very weird ones in Leitrim:D I never notice it until I'm with my other half as he's not Irish and it's baffling for him to understand me!

Buck, gosan, agraith.....all our terms for people. When a cow is flagging or leaping, bottles instead of teats/tits. Lots more too but I'd only confuse ye:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Howya GSD, would you leave then out or put them in a shed for a few days? I'm only a few miles from ya and If I left them out I'd be picking them up the following day in the digger bucket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

We have very weird ones in Leitrim:D I never notice it until I'm with my other half as he's not Irish and it's baffling for him to understand me!

Buck, gosan, agraith.....all our terms for people.

Head a little north of Kovu, and the childer are wayans!

• Advertisement

munkus wrote: »
    Howya GSD, would you leave then out or put them in a shed for a few days? I'm only a few miles from ya and If I left them out I'd be picking them up the following day in the digger bucket.

Always leave them out, I headed them down towards a more sheltered spot with plenty of bushes after I took the pic. Never had a problem really once they have sucked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

use buck a bit my self

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

naughto wrote: »
    use buck a bit my self

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

https://imageshack.us/a/img33/3775/25d5.jpg
    Out cleaning up a piece of land we have leased.
    Why do lads fence off corners like this?
    Its pure waste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

https://imageshack.us/a/img33/3775/25d5.jpg
    Out cleaning up a piece of land we have leased.
    Why do lads fence off corners like this?
    Its pure waste

Get the hedge cutter on.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Get the hedge cutter on.
    https://imageshack.us/a/img534/5966/g62z.jpg
    Been ar it since Saturday

What's that rig worth Reggie?

What's that rig worth Reggie?
    what year is the landini? depends on the condition of the hedgecutter, welds and such

Reggie. wrote: »
    what year is the landini? depends on the condition of the hedgecutter, welds and such

Hedge cutter is immaculate. New set of flails and she would be same as the day she was bought

Hedge cutter is immaculate. New set of flails and she would be same as the day she was bought
    cant see the picture anymore for some reason but thhe landinis are going for anything from 10000 to 15000 from garages without loaders.
    the hedgecutter could be around 3000-4000 at a guess. These are mostly off the top of my head now so i could be way off too

• Advertisement

cant see the picture anymore for some reason but thhe landinis are going for anything from 10000 to 15000 from garages without loaders.
    the hedgecutter could be around 3000-4000 at a guess. These are mostly off the top of my head now so i could be way off too

Lord the hegee trimmer is only 5 yrs old and has only done our own work

Lord the hegee trimmer is only 5 yrs old and has only done our own work
    dont know hedgecutters that well but they can be a mine field when buying as just to balance the head can cost upto 500 euro so the resale can sometimes be bad as lads are afraid of hidden demons

dont know hedgecutters that well but they can be a mine field when buying as just to balance the head can cost upto 500 euro so the resale can sometimes be bad as lads are afraid of hidden demons

I'd gladly sell it to fund a cow roads or slurry tanks but its there now so might as well keep her. Only costs us the diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

img_0309.jpg?w=547

Got a new locking barrier. Should make training bulls and heifers a lot easier. Handy for AI, injecting and pour ons too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Landini looks very well there Greengrass!

reilig wrote: »
    img_0309.jpg?w=547

Got a new locking barrier. Should make training bulls and heifers a lot easier. Handy for AI, injecting and pour ons too!

Sweet get up there

nashmach wrote: »
    Landini looks very well there Greengrass!

Everything looks good from the back :P its the front you need to look at.
    Needs a new grill on front

Everything looks good from the back :P its the front you need to look at.
    Needs a new grill on front

Top or bottom piece - they are not that dear.

nashmach wrote: »
    Top or bottom piece - they are not that dear.

I mean the whole front bonnet. The fibre glass piece

• Advertisement

I mean the whole front bonnet. The fibre glass piece

Oh right - oh dear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

First calf last Saturday. Handy little heifer from our own CH bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Parishlad wrote: »

Nice shape though. The only day you want them looking good is the day of sale :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

Handy is the way you want them

dh1985 wrote: »
    Handy is the way you want them

Very true. It was her first calf and I changed the bull last year so was very happy not to see a monster of a calf.

And here's the rest of the ladies for the maternity ward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Fine shed Parishlad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

Fine set up and good looking stock

Fine shed Parishlad

+1

Thanks all. Not long built...first winter in it. Cattle always outwintered until this year. Seriously glad of it for the last few months! Makes life a lot easier as I work off farm and have a young family that needs/deserves plenty of attention.
    Have to say though that I am fairly nervous of cows calving on slats. I was pretty okay at picking out a cow close to calving when they were outside and even if I didn't spot one on time they generally calved away grand.....even if they did so in the best hiding place possible.
    A few are due around now so keeping a close eye on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Christ thats a big change from out wintering. If you don't mind me asking P what that set up set you back?
    Slatted unit here isn't big enough with some cattle still out wintered. Cheers. ...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement